ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sports trivia part 2.

leaving wilmington and headed to pinehurst to see my mom for easter so if here would be my question
what golfer from the state of NC has the most golf major titles?

Who are the only 2 pitchers in MLB history with over 150 wins and 150 saves?

Looks like the 24 hour rule is up and running! Lol, good job Sky! OFC

Sometimes posters may have a hard time getting back on in 24 hours but you have to put some kind of time limit on it. Sorry B.P. If you can beat dj to the next question go on. OFC

Sorry guys, me and the lady swung down to Gatlinburg for a couple days. I haven’t checked the boards - My bad. @dukiejay or whoever is welcome to ask the next question since my time limit expired, but incase I’m still on the clock I’ll post a question.

In 2001, what team did we play 4 times?

4 I believe. The Falcons drafted him, then his glory years with the Packers, then some late-career "hanging on" with the Jets and Vikings.

Hey now....he didn't really "hang on" in Minnesota (maybe his last season he did). He could have been the MVP in 2009 with the Vikings....I think he was edged out by some guy named Peyton Manning.

Hey now....he didn't really "hang on" in Minnesota (maybe his last season he did). He could have been the MVP in 2009 with the Vikings....I think he was edged out by some guy named Peyton Manning.

Haha, my bad - I rescind my characterization there.

Reactions: dukiejay

He was incredible in 09

You’re up

This year UVA became the first team in modern (64 team) NCAA Tournament history to both never have to play a 1 or 2 seed, and to never play the highest possible seed in any round (excluding the 1st, when everyone does). No team had ever had both of those luxuries, but one other team had done each of those things individually. Who is the one other team that won a championship and never played a 1 or 2 seed, and who is the one other team who won a championship and never played the best available seed?

Note - The answers are two different teams.

Last edited:
This year UVA became the first team in modern (64 team) NCAA Tournament history to both never have to play a 1 or 2 seed, and to never play the highest possible seed in any round (excluding the 1st, when everyone does). No team had ever had both of those luxuries, but one other team had done each of those things individually. Who is the one other team that won a championship and never played a 1 or 2 seed, and who is the one other team who won a championship and never played the best available seed?

Was it Michigan State in 1979? I thought I remember hearing something like that during the tournament this year.

Was it Michigan State in 1979? I thought I remember hearing something like that during the tournament this year.

I am referring only to the "modern" tournament with the 64 team format, so that begins in 1985.

After you said that I was curious if Magic's MSU team fit either of those bills, so I looked it up. They played #1 seed Notre Dame in the regional finals, so they wouldn't have been right for either question.

Reactions: dukiejay
I think I figured it out going back through my head....and only because we just talked about Loyola Marymount in another thread recently. Is it UNLV in 1990? We were a three seed that year, I believe....and they beat us in the national championship game. I know for sure they beat Loyola in the regional final, and they weren't close to a two-seed. In the Final Four they played Georgia Tech, who I'm almost certain wasn't a one or two seed.

Reactions: HuffyJB
I think I figured it out going back through my head....and only because we just talked about Loyola Marymount in another thread recently. Is it UNLV in 1990? We were a three seed that year, I believe....and they beat us in the national championship game. I know for sure they beat Loyola in the regional final, and they weren't close to a two-seed. In the Final Four they played Georgia Tech, who I'm almost certain wasn't a one or two seed.

You got one of them! 1990 UNLV is the only champion besides this year's UVA to win without playing a 1 or 2 seed. They beat 11 seed Loyola in the Elite 8, then beat 4-seed Lethal Weapon 3 Georgia Tech in the Final Four, and trounced 3-seed Duke in the finals by 30.

Now, who is the other team - the only other champion besides UVA to go the whole tournament and not play the highest available seed in a given round? (that same UNLV team almost did both as UVA did, but they played an 8 seed in the second round, the best available at that point)

You got one of them! 1990 UNLV is the only champion besides this year's UVA to win without playing a 1 or 2 seed. They beat 11 seed Loyola in the Elite 8, then beat 4-seed Lethal Weapon 3 Georgia Tech in the Final Four, and trounced 3-seed Duke in the finals by 30.

Now, who is the other team - the only other champion besides UVA to go the whole tournament and not play the highest available seed in a given round? (that same UNLV team almost did both as UVA did, but they played an 8 seed in the second round, the best available at that point)

You got me. I'll give someone else a try.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT