ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sports trivia part 2.

I’ve got nothing guys. FTB can have my turn.
Thank you! Probably the only way I’m ever going to be able to ask a question.

Of the current B12 teams, which team was the last to win a national championship in basketball not named KU?

Reactions: GillJET

Of the current B12 teams, which team was the last to win a national championship in basketball not named KU?

Oklahoma State won a couple titles as Oklahoma A&M, right? They're the only Big 12 team that comes to mind. Not sure anyone else has a title.

Is this a trick question? Because the current B12, which was founded in the late 90s, has just one national championship (KU in 2008) since they’ve formed.

There have been two 14 seeds advance to the Sweet 16. Name one of those schools.

Finally, being surrounded by Indiana basketball fans is going to pay off.... Cleveland St beat IU in ‘86 and I believe they also won the next game to make it to the S16.

In ‘97 Chattanooga made it to the S16. We would have faced them if we didn’t get upset by Providence.

Finally, being surrounded by Indiana basketball fans is going to pay off.... Cleveland St beat IU in ‘86 and I believe they also won the next game to make it to the S16.

In ‘97 Chattanooga made it to the S16. We would have faced them if we didn’t get upset by Providence.

Correct and correct. Well done. You're up!

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
Fun team to watch. That could have been their year to go to the Final Four, if Davies was available. BYU holds the record for most tournament appearances without a FF

Is this a trick question? Because the current B12, which was founded in the late 90s, has just one national championship (KU in 2008) since they’ve formed.
I don’t think it was. It wasn’t intended that way. I phrased it as “of the current B12 teams...” I almost put a hint that they weren’t a Big 8/12 team when they won it.

Reactions: dukiejay
Who is the only player to lead the majors in home runs for 3 different teams?

Good question. Seems like historical baseball figures only played for 1-2 teams. The obvious power hitters in recent years have only really been with two teams (Bonds- Pit, SF; McGwire- Oak, Stl; Pujols- Stl, LAA). I'm gonna go on a limb and say Albert Belle. I know he led the majors in HRs in Cleveland... he had brief stints with the White Sox and Orioles, too. Not sure.

Who is the only player to lead the majors in home runs for 3 different teams?

Wow. Good question. Off the top of my head, the only guy I can think of recently would be Alex Rodriguez. I know he did with the Yankees and Rangers, but I'm not sure he did it with the Mariners.

QC beat me to the punch. Loyola Marymount would have been my guess, too. That would have been the 1990 tournament, I believe.

Loyola Marymount?

You got it! LMU defeated the defending national champions, Michigan, in the 2nd round of the NCAAs, 149-115. Here are some crazy figures from that game:

- Average possession for LMU was slightly over 6 seconds
- Jeff Fryer made 11 3-pointers
- LMU connected on 21 3-pointers as a team (21 for 40 overall)
- LMU had 4 guys combine for 122 points (Fryer- 41, Kimble- 37, Lowery- 23, Stumer- 21).
- They made 49 field goals

How would you like to score 21 points and only be the 4th leading scorer on your team for that day?

Brian Dutcher, current San Diego State HC, and long-time Fisher assistant said this about the game:

“Nobody in the country played that pace, you know?” Dutcher says. “And we’re defending national champs and we have four starters back. We know we have a good team. But it was a one-day prep, so you’re playing a complete change-of-style basketball game with a walk-through to get ready for it.

“Do you say, ‘We’re going to pull back the defending national champs and tell them not to play and attack and score on the break’? We didn’t do that. We didn’t feel that was in our best interest to do that. So we played with them. We ran and tried to score and tried to play that tempo with them.”

Reactions: dukiejay
Another couple excerpts from this article.

It was 89-76 when CBS cut away to show the final 43 second of Minnesota-Northern Iowa. It was 100-79 when CBS returned to Long Beach.

CBS cut away again to show the final 2:02 of Xavier-Georgetown with the Lions ahead 106-84. CBS returned to Long Beach; it was 124-96.

You got it! LMU defeated the defending national champions, Michigan, in the 2nd round of the NCAAs, 149-115. Here are some crazy figures from that game:

- Average possession for LMU was slightly over 6 seconds
- Jeff Fryer made 11 3-pointers
- LMU connected on 21 3-pointers as a team (21 for 40 overall)
- LMU had 4 guys combine for 122 points (Fryer- 41, Kimble- 37, Lowery- 23, Stumer- 21).
- They made 49 field goals

How would you like to score 21 points and only be the 4th leading scorer on your team for that day?

Brian Dutcher, current San Diego State HC, and long-time Fisher assistant said this about the game:

“Nobody in the country played that pace, you know?” Dutcher says. “And we’re defending national champs and we have four starters back. We know we have a good team. But it was a one-day prep, so you’re playing a complete change-of-style basketball game with a walk-through to get ready for it.

“Do you say, ‘We’re going to pull back the defending national champs and tell them not to play and attack and score on the break’? We didn’t do that. We didn’t feel that was in our best interest to do that. So we played with them. We ran and tried to score and tried to play that tempo with them.”

I remember watching that game.

Funny thing is, they scored like 60 points in their next game....sneaking by Alabama before getting hammered by UNLV. The Runnin' Rebels were the only team in the country that was comfortable and could score at that pace.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I remember watching that game.

Funny thing is, they scored like 60 points in their next game....sneaking by Alabama before getting hammered by UNLV. The Runnin' Rebels were the only team in the country that was comfortable and could score at that pace.

Heckuva a game. NCAA On Demand released the full-game a couple years ago if anyone's interested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT