ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke Vs UVA

Jon should have gone ballistic but so could any assistant too...the whole staff should have been outraged....but we are too placid..that reflects in the team demeanor too

Nope. The refs not calling the foul on Flip cost it. Scheyer should have went off and got tossed and showed the team he has their back. That was a bad look for Jon.
Yes, I agree but the overtime was still played was it not ? You could see the contact to the wrist with 0.2 left however they still went to overtime and that call in regulation with the four turnovers ( two were charges ) killed whatever Duke had left .

Reactions: jeffrey236
Bro if Flip made 1 basket the whole damn game there is no OT. He sucked. Worst performance of a supposed lottery kid I think I have ever seen.
Pitt produces a ton of nba talent. I couldn't imagine being a Pitt fan. This year is by far the best Pitt team in a long, long time and it's a first round exit. Taking hoops out of it, PSU completely owns Pitt in football so what do you hang your hat on? No one in your life loves you.

This Duke team doesn’t have any DOGS! Nothing will fuel them. Teams are a reflection of there Coach and Scheyer hasn’t yet shown to Coach with the fire and passion as his predecessor!

This Duke team doesn’t have any DOGS! Nothing will fuel them. Teams are a reflection of there Coach and Scheyer hasn’t yet shown to Coach with the fire and passion as his predecessor!
We’ve had an initial decent sample size of Jon as a coach, and if it stays like this, I can’t see him making it past a complete year 2. Things could change but he will need to adjust soon.

Jon should have gone ballistic but so could any assistant too...the whole staff should have been outraged....but we are too placid..that reflects in the team demeanor too
I basically said the same thing about us coming out on the road and going down double digits immediate as often as we do.

We have a leadership issue…I’m sure part of it is a learning curve and I understand that too….but it’s painfully obvious and no more obvious than what you saw tonight from our staff and head coach.

There is a zero percent chance Flip isn’t shooting free throws if that’s K on the sideline. Scheyer is getting a ton of disrespect from refs but he’s also bringing it on himself imo.

As far as the team…I agree we are unprepared in the beginnings a lot because of what you said…Leadership.

Reactions: Devilinside
I basically said the same thing about us coming out on the road and going down double digits immediate as often as we do.

We have a leadership issue…I’m sure part of it is a learning curve and I understand that too….but it’s painfully obvious and no more obvious than what you saw tonight from our staff and head coach.

There is a zero percent chance Flip isn’t shooting free throws if that’s K on the sideline. Scheyer is getting a ton of disrespect from refs but he’s also bringing it on himself imo.

As far as the team…I agree we are unprepared in the beginnings a lot because of what you said…Leadership.

Leadership is earned not given due to tenure...just because you are a returning player does not make you a leader. I'd rather see one of the new players with fire and heart be the leader than a passive returning player. With our roster turnover there is little room to develop true leaders unfortunately

Coach Scheyer better say something about the BS no call (cheating) at his press conference or I will lose some faith in him as a coach. You have to stand up for your team even if you get fined for your comments. If he doesn’t come out and say something like Coach K did with Dean, Duke will continue to not get these calls. This is two end of game situation that the refs reviewed a obvious foul and blatantly cheated Duke on the road VT and now UVA. The ACC really needs to investigate and there has to be some type of disciplinary action on these refs. We’re they the same refs in both games?

Duke (17-8, 8-6) seemed poised to win when Ryan Young drove on the final play of regulation and two defenders contested his shot. The officials initially whistled a foul, but waved it off after a lengthy review. Jeremy Roach led the Blue Devils with 16 points.

This from AP article. These fu***** guys.

It happens. Have to earn those calls.

Strong performance. Glad i watched.
No it doesn’t. Not like that
Nah I don’t blame Jon because he didn’t have the replay we had. I mean yeah he should’ve got more upset but the refs technically could’ve been right? It was bs and what sucks is the ACC can’t overturn refs doing their own shit. Why have rules if refs can do whatever they want

Did Lively get in trouble with Jon? Trying to figure out why he wasn’t put back in when Clark went six straight points while going at Young .
Dickie V kept saying Scheyer told him that Duke was finally healthy . Why didn’t Blakes play then ?

Pitiful . That’s final possession before OT was pitiful until the inbound pass. Yea we got screwed and should have won. What has me fired up more is the missed layup, nonchalant offense, and us letting them roll the ball down the court to kill time in OT. I mean our guys don’t have awareness and don’t know what to do.

Deep breath.
I hated the call and the result. But we very nearly knocked off Virginia on the road. We do need to beat Notre Dame and Syracuse. We are 17-8, and still in the tournament if we handle business. But man, a win would have been nice.
I hope the guys can recover because I'm going to be pissed about this one for a long time. Something has to be done about this shit.

Our guards kept us in the game. Roach, other than his foul trouble, was solid, and Proctor did a great job finding Grandison and Whitehead, and they made some clutch shots. Did all this with Flip laying an egg.

I’m trying to be patient with Jon, but imo he needs to show some more fire, but this is where his youth is showing.
Chewing on the refs works. Bennett is as calm a coach as there is, yet he had several moments today where he was getting on to them.

It's getting harder and harder to see this team getting out of the first weekend. At this point I just want to get in. Reading the box score and Lively, Flip Young and Mitchell were 1-12 from the floor.

My milk carton has a picture of Blakes on it. he seems completely out of the rotation.

I was going to ask the same thing, it’s been almost two hours since the game ended. No press conference yet?? I am really curious what Coach Scheyer has to say? Hope he is as fired up about this BS as all the fans are.

• Haha
Reactions: southbottomU
I was going to ask the same thing, it’s been almost two hours since the game ended. No press conference yet?? I am really curious what Coach Scheyer has to say? Hope he is as fired up about this BS as all the fans are.
He's gotta go off but I won't be surprised if he doesn't.

Coach Scheyer better say something about the BS no call (cheating) at his press conference or I will lose some faith in him as a coach. You have to stand up for your team even if you get fined for your comments. If he doesn’t come out and say something like Coach K did with Dean, Duke will continue to not get these calls. This is two end of game situation that the refs reviewed a obvious foul and blatantly cheated Duke on the road VT and now UVA. The ACC really needs to investigate and there has to be some type of disciplinary action on these refs. We’re they the same refs in both games?
If Jon wanted respect, he should have raised hell and been t-d up or even sent to the locker room. The call was that bad. OFC

Duke coach John Scheyer said he got no clarification on the controversial ending to regulation against UVA.

"He made a big time play getting to the basket. There's no doubt in my mind he's knocking down those free throws. ... I feel for Flip, our team."

You can see the ball left his hands before .00, so, I don’t know exactly what the rule is," Scheyer said. "I’d like to get some clarification to understand, but the call was made, so I don’t know how the call can be taken away. I would just like clarity.”

“We battled but it’s disappointing - we came here to win,” Scheyer told Duke play-by-play announcer David Shumate immediately after the game. “Virginia is a really good team but you’re not going to beat anyone with 22 turnovers. I haven’t seen the play at the end and can’t comment without looking at it.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT