ADVERTISEMENT

Next years minutes

I like Reeves, but he is skinny and probably a year away. We need grown men like Young. Have we offered him?
I know they've showed interest. I know nothing about an offer. I'm questioning all information I hear even more so now after Keels, haha That said, I do believe Young is high up on the list. I know AJ Green was thought to be a for sure to Iowa State before Keels announced by a lot of people. Hoping that changed with Keels now being gone. Green is a great college player with the experience we sorely need in the backcourt with Jeremy next year.

Ryan Young would be a good get. Averaged 9 and 4 at Northwestern. A big body. 6-10 240. With 2 first round picks up front might be difficult to get a stud big man. But Young might be okay with a Theo role.
I don't follow recruiting too closely, but I would love a "Theo" on next year's team. If only the OG Theo had another year left!

I know they've showed interest. I know nothing about an offer. I'm questioning all information I hear even more so now after Keels, haha That said, I do believe Young is high up on the list. I know AJ Green was thought to be a for sure to Iowa State before Keels announced by a lot of people. Hoping that changed with Keels now being gone. Green is a great college player with the experience we sorely need in the backcourt with Jeremy next year.
To go with this, Young would help challenge both Lively and Flip in the paint in practice . I know from what I read he was set to be the starter for Northwestern but entered the portal the minute it was announced Collins would return . I wouldn’t look into Green coming .

Reactions: christophero
Sports are a chess game, and it's all about match ups. Bascot draws 2 early fouls on Lively, like he did on Williams this year. What do we do? We need a guy to plug in for this. We also need an experienced shooting guard, preferably not a skinny guy, a good defender.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Does anyone else worry about NIL being a big disadvantage for the smaller private universities with alumni nationwide rather than in 1 central area? I’ve heard rumors about Jay Wright getting out due to the future of Villanova not able to offer things that other schools can offer.

I feel like all these major state universities can raise millions of dollars very quickly at a local car dealership or something, many options. The SEC is out ahead of NIL and though they have always dominated in football, the basketball is getting much better as these schools seem to have an endless supply of resources.

Duke is playing a different game than the other private schools and have a lot more NIL connections I’d assume, but gotta wonder if long term this could hurt Duke.
The nil will do no favors for duke or any smaller/private schools

There is also the slight possibility that Keels comes back. Now, we know he is likely not coming back, but do elite transfer recruits know this, and is that small chance Keels comes back enough to keep them away? DBR is discussing Jones from Davidson as a SG, but he seems like more of a back up G to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
There is also the slight possibility that Keels comes back. Now, we know he is likely not coming back, but do elite transfer recruits know this, and is that small chance Keels comes back enough to keep them away? DBR is discussing Jones from Davidson as a SG, but he seems like more of a back up G to me.
One would think our staff is proceeding as we won’t have Keels, and it seems like guard transfers are now taking a look at us. Keels may have had us handcuffed for a couple weeks (though I believe the staff has still been going after guard transfers) but now we should be fully going after guys.

Sports are a chess game, and it's all about match ups. Bascot draws 2 early fouls on Lively, like he did on Williams this year. What do we do? We need a guy to plug in for this. We also need an experienced shooting guard, preferably not a skinny guy, a good defender.
Do you honestly think the officials would ever let Bacot pick up 2 early fouls on anyone?

For what it's worth, Keels has not hired an agent. The other guys who declared have. Not trying to get any hopes up, but reporting this. So while it's unlikely he returns, he still could. Of course, my ex from 10 years ago could call me back too.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Keels has not hired an agent. The other guys who declared have. Not trying to get any hopes up, but reporting this. So while it's unlikely he returns, he still could. Of course, my ex from 10 years ago could call me back too.
You can return to school if you hire an agent. They changed that rule in 2019.

My question is, when did this board get so damn soft? @SDevada mocks people here for spelling, I call her idiocy out, and I get warned and deleted. Pathetic.

I bet your head is exploding over Twitter, eh? Will you write a complaint to Elon?

My question is, when did this board get so damn soft? @SDevada mocks people here for spelling, I call her idiocy out, and I get warned and deleted. Pathetic.

I bet your head is exploding over Twitter, eh? Will you write a complaint to Elon?
Just off season . It really don’t bother me. I’m the one that got called out. In all honesty I really didn’t know she was a female. My fault sorry!

Just off season . It really don’t bother me. I’m the one that got called out. In all honesty I really didn’t know she was a female. My fault sorry!
Who cares? We have Hole fans here stirring the pot yet nothing is done. He/she/it/toaster snaps her fingers as a traditional SJW and they quickly coddle it/them/etc.

I’ll just take the fuel for “A Boy Named Sue” to the Lounge. Come on over @SDevada aka @durhamgolfer

Some of you need to step off the ledge.

Just because Unc returns 4 starters doesn’t automatically make them the National Champions for 2023. If I recall correctly, the 2016-2017 Villanova team returned a lot of their core, were a 1 seed, and got bounced in the 2nd round at the hands of Wisconsin.

Also, Duke is used to having freshmen dominated teams, why is this a surprise to any of you? 3 of the last 4 ncaa tournaments, Duke has been in contention to win it all making it to 3 Elite 8s and one Final 4 with you guessed it pretty much a new team every season!!!

RELAX

Last edited:
Good call bullcity. UNC also seems similar to UCLA from last year after surprisingly making the final four the year before. They will be good, but I'm not ready to say they are a favorite.
I've already been told by several Carolina fans that they'll sweep us and win it all. So, I guess there's no reason to have a basketball season next year guys. The fans have called it and we should just give them the trophy. Wonder if they'll put up a banner for the largest championship game lead lost?

Off topic but gotta share. Went to an event yesterday for work wearing a Duke hat. Within the first 10 minutes of the being, both a UK and UNC fan made that same “need to get a different hat” comment to me…rent free fellas. Rent free

Okay last week is behind us. Yes it was expected but Good Lord would be nice to catch a break from the NBA draft once in a while. I suppose we got lucky last year, with Mark and Wendell coming back, which was probably the difference between losing to MSU and making the final four. On to next year. We basically have a great freshman class plus Roach and Baker. Is Roach ready? He had a nice tournament and stretch run but he did look a bit overmatched for half the season if we are being honest. Has he turned the corner? It would appear so. He will not have the upperclassmen help from Wendell and Mark so he will need to be ready to take on a much bigger role.
Joey is back, and we will need him to be the consistent shooter off the bench we have all wanted him to be. Can he be? Yes. Will he be? I hope so. Maybe Jon giving him a longer leash will help his confidence.
The freshman are good, no doubt. Are they Banchero level? Or are they Cam/Keels/AJ level? We need our big 3 of Kyle, Flip and Whitehead to be double digit scorers, at least 2 out of 3. Mitchell is intriguing. Schutt will be good, but can he be more than Blakes level as a freshman? Maybe Alex level. If he surprises as a sniper off the bench that will be big. Blakes is another question mark. If he stays, can he be in the rotation?
The roster as is is talented but super young. Yes we have relied on freshman, but never this much. There is a slight chance Keels could return, but I doubt it. So the answer is:
The portal.
Can guys from the portal lead? I think Theo proved they can. I'd rather have another Wendell back but that isn't happening. So we need a SG who can shoot and defend. We probably won't upgrade over a soph. Keels but there are a few nice options. The South Dakota State kid is a good option. But we need to be aggressive; everyone wants a kid like that.
We need a Theo as well. The Reeves kid is intriguing but will probably redshirt. The Northwestern kid would do nicely. Lofton Jr. is a stud, but prob. wants to start. We will need more than freshman up front against the UNCs and Kentuckys. The only problem we may have is we've really become known as a school who caters to the one and dones. We have to convince transfers that they will play.
So we will likely get 2-3 guys from the portal, the question is what quality kid can we recruit? Will be an interesting next few months.

Last edited:
Off topic but gotta share. Went to an event yesterday for work wearing a Duke hat. Within the first 10 minutes of the being, both a UK and UNC fan made that same “need to get a different hat” comment to me…rent free fellas. Rent free
Whenever I see a tar heel shirt, I like to say... hey you got some sh_t on your shirt. 9/10 times they start wiping their shirt like they actually got something on it. It's great.

Whenever I see a tar heel shirt, I like to say... hey you got some sh_t on your shirt. 9/10 times they start wiping their shirt like they actually got something on it. It's great.
Of course we only see Tar Heel shirts when the Tat Heels make the FF

• Haha
Reactions: hart2chesson
Yep, lousy week for sure. I was holding out some hope for Moore or Keels. Oh well. Maybe the transfer portal will bring some support.

The positive I am taking away from this is that we cleaned house completely, and perhaps Jon has different plans for the future to blend in some OAD's with some 3-4 year guys. I am NOT sold on that concept though. I fear it has become the Duke machine. :(

Reactions: christophero
Maybe go after guys who have a few years left in the portal. You could still lose them to the draft though. But at least they could return. People could negative recruit against us. Saying we will start 4 freshman.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
whats going on with the other perennial contending programs? We know UNC has players returning...what about Kansas, Villanova, Baylor, UK or in the B10?.....or are we alone in the yearly turnover of our roster? ( as it seems)

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT