ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA round of 32 official game day thread- Duke vs Tennessee

I remember us discussing how Moore and Keels would fit in with Whitehead this year. Good times.

Funny how you show up after a season ending loss to “justify” it. You really are a low-life POS.
He couldn’t turn down the chance to let us all know that we are sore losers, the refs did a hell of a job, and to remind us all our dogs and cats know as much about basketball as he does. What a swell guy

There seems to be a good chance at least two freshmen come back, and possible three (in addition to Schutt and Reeves). Won't get into who, but I would bet you could guess. These things can change obviously. That dude's predictions are just way off though.
Proctor, Mark, and Flip?

We need a big body in the portal. If Flip comes back we can't put him at center. Reaves no where near ready.

That is insanely optimistic that Flip, Proctor and Mitchell come back given our history. Maybe Jon can change that. I'd be happy with 2 of those 3 back. If all 3 come back that would be incredible, and I think that team would be similar to the Banchero team.

Last edited:
I just don't see it. We have two serious wings in MacKenzie and Stewert coming in (PF SF) however you wanna look at it. Flip is forsure 10-20 worthy of being drafted. Lively, Proctor, and Whitehead are all prospects and based on the nbas resume will draft them based on "Potential" not what has been seen in college... (Trevor Keels, Cassius Stanley) Being realistic I don't see either of those 4 coming back... The reason I say Mitchell is he isn't on anyone's first round grading scale. HOPEFULLY I'M COMPLETELY WRONG and they all return... Flip is the only one on 2023 Nbadraft.net mock draft at 30. The rest are in the 2024 Mock draft.

Reactions: youngman42
With Stewart and Mackenzie coming in, where will Mark play? He has to seriously work on his offensive game this summer. I don't follow the recruiting trail other than seeing who we get but how was Mark's offense game in HS compared to Sean and Mackenzie?

With Stewart and Mackenzie coming in, where will Mark play? He has to seriously work on his offensive game this summer. I don't follow the recruiting trail other than seeing who we get but how was Mark's offense game in HS compared to Sean and Mackenzie?
MacKenzie is far more offensively skilled then both. Stewart and Mitchell are similar with Mitchell playing more on the wing and Stewart in the paint. But both are similar imo... When I view players leaving, I look at potential draft position and what we are bring in recruiting wise. And lean towards that. With Mitchell draft is not in his favor, so returning is his best position. Whitehead only showed spurts. To me not NBA ready YET. Would 100% lock down our SG position next year, and be able to showcase his talent, healthy Hopefully. Roach unless he wants the G-League route/overseas, will benefit just from returning to school graduating and finishing out his career at Duke. Hard for me seeing him entering the portal... Lively and Whitehead have the exact same situations I explained imo.

My odds of guys returning
Lively: 1% He showed what he can do, esp. on defense.. He also wants to help out his mom so he should go. Needs to add strength but he is OAD.
Whitehead. 5%. Did not really show much to me, but NBA guys seem to like him. Did he even score 20 once? Never really became the guy we needed him to be. The injury really set him back.
Flip: 33%. This is a tough one. He is projected late first round. But he did not play well down the stretch and possibly could stay another year. Is a bit raw but has great length and a stat stuffer.
Proctor: 50/50. Showed some good stuff down the stretch. Really needs to add strength and be stronger with the ball. Classic case of a 2 year guy, but he may jump.
Mitchell 50/50. Leaning towards him coming back, but you never know what guys are thinking. Should be a 2 year guy, but again I don't know his intentions.
Roach: 25% I've heard he wants to move on after getting his degree. He could change his mind, but if Proctor returns he will definitely leave. I hope we get one of Proctor/Roach back. I really do not want to watch 2 freshman guards starting next year.

Last edited:
The track record doesn't benefit us in these scenarios. We have a list of "should return" and "did return"... and some who mixed it up. It all boils down to the kid thinking, they are ready... my saying has always been "If you can't Dominate in college, you definitely won't majorly contribute in the league"... the league is grown men. The 6th teir position players are 5xs better than you. And if you can't Crack a NBA roster spot, might as well come back. NIL money and a free education.

Reactions: christophero
Whitehead definitely sounds like he's done. Saw a locker room interview and he said he's ready For the next chapter

Youth is always the widespread topic for Duke. Do these kids actually think they are better than these NBA players? I talked to my brother and I named the 4th and 5th tier players by position that MOST of our players won't even think about taking their roster spot. Not the superstars the backups of the leauge

I may start a videogame thread cause I'm kind of basketball'd out at the moment. I like old school games (SNES, NES N64 Genesis PS One) but I'm thinking of getting a Switch.

Last edited:
I may start a videogame thread cause I'm kind of basketball'd out at the moment. I like old school games (SNES, NES N64 Genesis PS One) but I'm thinking of getting a Switch.
Lord, I haven't consistently played anything in years. What is popular now? I know people like Call of Duty. But that is about all I know of today's gaming world. I grew up on Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Metal Gear Solid, Goldeneye, Madden, NHL Live, NCAA Final Four & March Madness, and I loved the Syphon Filter games.

Reactions: christophero
Most people I know are playing the Switch or COD. But yes, I grew up with Pac Man, Galaga, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Donkey Kong, Doom, Quake, Crash, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Twisted Metal, etc. I got some of the mini systems, which have games on them. I have the mini NES, the mini SNES and PS One. I played a lot of Madden and Tony Hawk. I like Atari as well as it is my childhood.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
MacKenzie is far more offensively skilled then both. Stewart and Mitchell are similar with Mitchell playing more on the wing and Stewart in the paint. But both are similar imo... When I view players leaving, I look at potential draft position and what we are bring in recruiting wise. And lean towards that. With Mitchell draft is not in his favor, so returning is his best position. Whitehead only showed spurts. To me not NBA ready YET. Would 100% lock down our SG position next year, and be able to showcase his talent, healthy Hopefully. Roach unless he wants the G-League route/overseas, will benefit just from returning to school graduating and finishing out his career at Duke. Hard for me seeing him entering the portal... Lively and Whitehead have the exact same situations I explained imo.
Roach graduates in May 23…..

HOW BOUT THOSE VOLS BABY

cc404b1c-cbb7-4b88-b854-7c03339a6de4-0f7373a616a2494c89b79801ca98a605.jpg

Why does everyone assume Roach is gone?

He’s a Junior and he’s not going to be drafted in the first round. Just curious.

We won't. Lively will declare, Whitehead will declare, Flip, Proctor and Mitchell will do what Keels did and declare on the last day. Yeah; I'm pissed too lol. We need some good news.
Mitchell, Lively, and Whitehead have absolutely no business declaring. Even entertaining these three is what’s wrong with college basketball and why it has gone downhill so much.

Flip should be gone, and Proctor is a toss up.

My odds of guys returning
Lively: 1% He showed what he can do, esp. on defense.. He also wants to help out his mom so he should go. Needs to add strength but he is OAD.
Whitehead. 5%. Did not really show much to me, but NBA guys seem to like him. Did he even score 20 once? Never really became the guy we needed him to be. The injury really set him back.
Flip: 33%. This is a tough one. He is projected late first round. But he did not play well down the stretch and possibly could stay another year. Is a bit raw but has great length and a stat stuffer.
Proctor: 50/50. Showed some good stuff down the stretch. Really needs to add strength and be stronger with the ball. Classic case of a 2 year guy, but he may jump.
Mitchell 50/50. Leaning towards him coming back, but you never know what guys are thinking. Should be a 2 year guy, but again I don't know his intentions.
Roach: 25% I've heard he wants to move on after getting his degree. He could change his mind, but if Proctor returns he will definitely leave. I hope we get one of Proctor/Roach back. I really do not want to watch 2 freshman guards starting next year.

Bummer that Roach wants to leave. He’s a solid player and gets plenty of time. Maybe he doesn’t want to nurse 5-6 freshmen again and again and again. Which may mean we need to recruit some guys who want to stay 3-4 years. Or in the transfer portal. Where is the Duke alumni pitching in on the NIL. Gotta up the game there.

One thing for sure, Duke can’t keep rolling out kids / teens and expect to beat men.

Like Kenny Smith said, it was like a G league team against a bunch of college freshmen.

I agree. Only retaining these kids a year is a problem. Even top 10 guys are not a sure thing, and injuries seem to really delay their progress as they are here so briefly. Lively, Whitehead, Cam, AJ, etc. If we can get Mitchell and Proctor back we will be okay. If not we'll be having the same discussion in a year. Jon seems to be aware of this; so we will see how it plays out in May.

My only question: does Scheyer use this moment to recruit tough, physical, bully ball type players going forward? This is the second time we’ve lost to a SEC team that was able to be as physical as they want in the Round of 32 with a chance to play Sweet 16/Elite 8 in MSG. Yesterday reminded me of 2017 all over again. With refs being inconsistent AF this season, could Duke do what Tennessee did yesterday and get away with it? You would think the whistles would be tighter in the NCAA Tournament but it seems like the more physical you are, the better, I guess.

My only question: does Scheyer use this moment to recruit tough, physical, bully ball type players going forward? This is the second time we’ve lost to a SEC team that was able to be as physical as they want in the Round of 32 with a chance to play Sweet 16/Elite 8 in MSG. Yesterday reminded me of 2017 all over again. With refs being inconsistent AF this season, could Duke do what Tennessee did yesterday and get away with it? You would think the whistles would be tighter in the NCAA Tournament but it seems like the more physical you are, the better, I guess.

You serious? If Duke played an NCAA tournament game like that and it was officiated the same there would be an investigation with some guys losing their jobs. It would be headlined for the next decade.

Bummer that Roach wants to leave. He’s a solid player and gets plenty of time. Maybe he doesn’t want to nurse 5-6 freshmen again and again and again. Which may mean we need to recruit some guys who want to stay 3-4 years. Or in the transfer portal. Where is the Duke alumni pitching in on the NIL. Gotta up the game there.

One thing for sure, Duke can’t keep rolling out kids / teens and expect to beat men.

Like Kenny Smith said, it was like a G league team against a bunch of college freshmen.
He unwittingly called out his beloved Heels with that. They’re just as experienced as the Vols but soft and clueless Id like to see Bacot pull his routine against Tenn. he’d end up in the second row

It’s really about returning players more than getting physical recruits. That team yesterday had 3-5 years in a college weight room battling guys that were in hs last year. Chuck even mentioned it

I think the biggest issue is the officiating. It’s inconsistent as heck. The ACC doesn’t call their games like that. But, check out the free throw stats in a few of the other games. In the Kansas/Arkansas game, they combined to shoot 51 FT’s. In the Houston/Auburn game, they shot 65.
The common denominator is both games had SEC teams.

We beat Arkansas and Texas Tech last year. But we had Keels, AJ, Banchero, Theo, Mark, Moore. Grown men. The tournament is not for finesse teams.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
My attention span for Duke basketball is quickly waning. If we start 4 or 5 freshman again next year, I probably won't get on the bandwagon again until mid-February, if then. Hard to get invested in a program when there is almost no continutity from one season to the next. I will be rooting for Princeton for as long as they can stay in the tournament. They play smart basketball, know where they are supposed to be, make quality passes, don't turn the ball over, and make shots when they are open. Don't know if they have any 3*'s, let alone 4*'s or 5*'s. Hopefully Duke's recruiting focus can find a happy place with a few OAD's and a few more less highly rated contributors. I hope Jon builds the program through high school recruiting and not one year players out of the transfer portal.

OFC

He gave us some great rebounding and defense the last month or so, but it would have been huge yesterday if he could actually post someone up and score. We were playing four against five when we had the ball
Sorry I meant Dariq - absolute bust and waste of a scholly for Duke.

Lively played his heart out alongside flip, Roach, and Proctor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT