ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA round of 32 official game day thread- Duke vs Tennessee

Flip couldn’t have had a worst tournament,
Didn’t do good against physicality
He puked in the opening game from nerves. Concerning. Bricked a few free throws late in the ACCCG

Today, he won't face that physicality in the NBA!

Mocks have him Top20. I expect him to showcase well for teams and sneak into the teens. This is the standard of guys declaring these days. If he returns he would likely nail down Top5. Earns more but joins a worse off franchise.

That simple, huh? Gosh, I guess you uncovered a big conspirarararcy. Rock out with your cis-male appendage out. 🙄
Almost as simple as seeing that almost every team they played this year shot double the free throws as Duke. Thats kind of strange don't you think? If only Duke had strong guys like Alcorn St, Colorado, Austin Peay, Eastern KY, Tennessee Tech....

And this is where he will get better. We saw him get more vocal as the year went on. No one hates lose as much as Coach. I remember how pissed he got as a player and is known for his drive to win. We're in great hands. This year went way better than we all thought it would. The injury bug bit us all year until it didn't and then we took off all the way to sweeping our rivals and winning the ACC Championship. Then it reared its ugly head once more and derailed our chances. It's a bum draw. But man do I have faith in Jon and his staff. They really impressed me this year.

Absolutely love Jon. Pissed at the biased officials who don’t respect him.

I want Jon to stay 20

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
That simple, huh? Gosh, I guess you uncovered a big conspirarararcy. Rock out with your cis-male appendage out. 🙄
Someone needs a mental health break

There’s only 2 genders, Fatt 😂

He's not, but the number 12 is especially interesting. That number represents 12 more final fours than what Tennessee has ever been to.
Yet Duke couldn’t even beat a terrible TN team without a point guard. Just shows you how far Duke has fallen…😹😹😹

Almost as simple as seeing that almost every team they played this year shot double the free throws as Duke. Thats kind of strange don't you think? If only Duke had strong guys like Alcorn St, Colorado, Austin Peay, Eastern KY, Tennessee Tech....
Again, citing a single stat in isolation is not going to win me over.

I watched the game. More importantly — probably — I watched the game without tuning in to any of the homer emotion that tends to dominate in-game threads here (and nearly every home board). I watched the game without being fed a constant stream of emotionally compromised venting and whateverisms. By the first tv timeout of the first half, I understood what kind of game we were in for and accepted it without a board full of homers crying about every borderline call and confirming every emotional bias.

At the end of the day, Tennessee executed their game plan to a T. Roach committed some stupid fouls in the first half. A couple of UT’s guys did well scoring the ball and made some incredible shots against good defense applied by Proctor. Too many turnovers committed by The Blue Devils, you cannot do that against a good & physical team. I think if Mitchell plays, the coaching staff would have pressed UT from the get go, because Duke would have had more depth, and they probably noticed the success Louisiana was having when they pressed UT. Hopefully we get at least 2-4 between Flip, Proctor, Mitchell, and Roach to return. Good Luck the rest of the way Vols.
Roach was a beast. If your young talent came back next year you would be my favorites to win it all. Tough game, thought the officiating was spotty the entire way for both teams. Best of luck next year!

Roach was a beast. If your young talent came back next year you would be my favorites to win it all. Tough game, thought the officiating was spotty the entire way for both teams. Best of luck next year!
Your team played really well today and our guys didn’t respond well to the physical defense. Good Luck the rest of the way! I’ve always enjoyed Rick Barnes.

Hmmmm. Why did Kentucky shoot 70 free throws in two games against those highly intelligent skilled physical guys then?

In fact they called 25 fouls on UT in each of those games. And not all on Tshiebwe. Not many in the first game.

In nearly every game this year UT would have 18-20 fouls called. If not 20 or more. And the officials could easily have called that many in this game. Instead they called only 11. Smh.

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Guys, come to terms with it:

Proctor gone
Dariq gone
Lively gone
Flip gone
Roach gone
Mitchell likely gone
Catching gone
Johns gone
Grandison gone

Unless they grab a good big in transfer, Young will be the starting 5 next year, alongside 4 freshmen.

Reactions: DBM0828
We will get some guys back. I'm just not getting my hopes up for anyone big like Flip. Though Flip, Mark, and Proctor all should come back. I love him, but Flip will get massacred next year in the league.

All you Tennessee fans getting off on this win. Think about this: to win the tournament, you have to win 4 more games. Putting aside whether you thought the officiating was fair or a screw job, you were called for 11 fouls and we shot 7 free throws. You think, by all those free throw counts listed earlier, that everyone and their brother knows Tennessee plays PHYSICAL, that you will play four more games where the refs let you get away with all that crap?

With the way you play, if we had the refs that MD-WVU had for their game, we would still be playing this game…

Guys, come to terms with it:

Proctor gone
Dariq gone
Lively gone
Flip gone
Roach gone
Mitchell likely gone
Catching gone
Johns gone
Grandison gone

Unless they grab a good big in transfer, Young will be the starting 5 next year, alongside 4 freshmen.

Duke hired Rachel Baker to create NIL opportunities, and Jon has talked about getting some guys back. Of the core group, I expect Mitchell at least to return. I'm hoping Rachel is able to get one of Dariq, Proctor, or Flip to return.

Again, citing a single stat in isolation is not going to win me over.

I watched the game. More importantly — probably — I watched the game without tuning in to any of the homer emotion that tends to dominate in-game threads here (and nearly every home board). I watched the game without being fed a constant stream of emotionally compromised venting and whateverisms. By the first tv timeout of the first half, I understood what kind of game we were in for and accepted it without a board full of homers crying about every borderline call and confirming every emotional bias.
Right and by that point it was easy to see the officiating style favored Tennessee. They needed officials who let them be extremely physical. Could Duke match, maybe but it’s not their true style. Hard to beat a team at their own game and style. Imagine if refs called a close game, could Tennessee adjust and match Duke or would we be shooting 30 free throws.

That is sports though. Can a good hitting team do well if the umpire has a liberal strike zone and the pitcher is good, can a pitcher beat a good hitting team if the umpire is pinching the zone. Officiating plays a role in how games flow and what style is preferred.

Right and by that point it was easy to see the officiating style favored Tennessee. They needed officials who let them be extremely physical. Could Duke match, maybe but it’s not their true style. Hard to beat a team at their own game and style. Imagine if refs called a close game, could Tennessee adjust and match Duke or would we be shooting 30 free throws.

That is sports though. Can a good hitting team do well if the umpire has a liberal strike zone and the pitcher is good, can a pitcher beat a good hitting team if the umpire is pinching the zone. Officiating plays a role in how games flow and what style is preferred.

Had Duke matched their style they dont even have 5 guys on the court to end the game. They called 17 fouls on Duke as it was.

Flip Gone. Proctor GONE. Whitehead Gone... Jon needs to prioritize Lively(because we have NO center in the class), Mitchell (because he is far from league ready) Roach (because you only as good as your PG, and we shouldn't want to start off with 2 FRESHMEN PGs)... Whitehead should come back but I doubt he will. Just like the others... Transfer portal we go.
Wrong

There seems to be a good chance at least two freshmen come back, and possible three (in addition to Schutt and Reeves). Won't get into who, but I would bet you could guess. These things can change obviously. That dude's predictions are just way off though.

There seems to be a good chance at least two freshmen come back, and possible three (in addition to Schutt and Reeves). Won't get into who, but I would bet you could guess. These things can change obviously. That dude's predictions are just way off though.
Thx dude appreciate your insight.

I hope reeves works on his footwork in the offseason - he may play a lot next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT