ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA round of 32 official game day thread- Duke vs Tennessee

How the **** is a 27-9 finish sweeping your rival, winning the ACC Championship, and battling injuries all year long a C+? At worst, this is a B or B-. Jon brought in a new group, followed the GOAT, and had one helluva year. Get out of here with that shit.
Cause C+ is a passing grade that didn't result in at least a sweet 16. That's why. Brand new players, brand new coach. Still a good season.

You have to play for forty minutes ! Duke got man handled and they responded by doing nothing . Either play like you belong or get beat ! Duke got beat
The problem is, had we "played like that" our entire team would have fouled out lol. We got called for more fouls as it is, and we fouled less than they did.

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
The 4th call on roach was a touch foul at best. Hard to be allowed to play like men when one team is allowed to body and hit and the other isn’t. Mitchell being out hurt bad, the officials fine let them play but it needs to go both ways. Another time we got a rebound and then they reached in and there were an arm tie up, nothing called. Boom foul and lively when we do it. It can’t be like that. If it’s physical both teams should be allowed to be physical.

Also, yes players are not allowed to say that stuff publicly. So you won’t hear them cry about it.
I remember how many touch fouls Lance Thomas got called for his first couple years, particularly hedging on the perimeter. He didn’t commit those fouls as much by his senior year. It was all about physical maturity and body control.

Playing bully ball is not the fallback style of the unskilled. It’s not just choosing to play that way or not. It’s having the skill and maturity to play it well, under control. That’s not our game. They beat us fair and square dictating the style and playing it better than we did.

Reactions: christophero
You have to play for forty minutes ! Duke got man handled and they responded by doing nothing . Either play like you belong or get beat ! Duke got beat
Again, I’m not disagreeing with you in a vacuum. All things being equal. I’m my humble opinion when Duke tried to punch back it as called a foul. So hard to be told you aren’t being physically when it’s a foul when you do it but not when they do it.

Flip driving hard and punching back called for a bad charge. It was very one sided with what they were letting go, which then helps their offense play with less pressure and they then in turn hit shots.

The problem is, had we "played like that" our entire team would have fouled out lol. We got called for more fouls as it is, and we fouled less than they did.
Yet Duke responded by doing nothing outside of letting Tennessee hit shots! That’s not on the coaches but on the team.

And just like that our bracket has parted like the Red Sea. Tennessee stands in our way of what should be a very comfortable path to the elite eight. While some of us are shaking in our boots some of us are looking at facts which are….

1. Tennessees starting point guard, second leading scorer, leader in assist and steals has not played since Feb 28th and will not play today

2. They were trending in the wrong direction even with him going 6-7 since Feb, we on the other hand are trending the other direction going 11-2 since Feb with the 2 Ls at the beginning of the month

3. History.. Rick Barnes is a great guy but only been to the sweet 16 or farther 7 times in 35 years.. and only 1 of those was in Knoxville. On top of that Tennessee has only been to the sweet 16 8 times total.

Game is scheduled for a 240 tip on CBS with duke being favored at writing by 3.5

If duke plays like they have been we have no reason to worry about tomorrow. Could Tennessee make it a game? Absolutely.. should they? No we have the defense to shut them off fully and they don’t have the capability to keep up with us if we are scoring.

Duke-74
Tennessee- 57

Holy homeboard Batman. How do you overlook that you’re playing the best defense in the country who has a 10 man rotation with a ton of upperclassman and your mighty blue devils feature 4 freshman and 7 man rotation. That showed up big time today. Just an awful take by a homebord mod lol.

To have Duke winning by 17 is just a terrible take by a supposed “professional journalist”.

Last edited:
Oh goodie some
Holy homeboard Batman. How do you overlook that you’re playing the best defense in the country who has a 10 man rotation with a ton of upperclassman and your might blue devils feature 4 freshman and 7 man rotation. That showed up big time today. Just an awful take by a homebord mod lol.

Oh goodie a meth addict from East Tennessee Is here to spread the “truth” to us duke fans. Enjoy the win and your run to the elite eight.. quite impressive but eventually the refs won’t give you a fair whistle and Barnes will lead you right back to Knoxville

Ps brush your tooth

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
So all the talk about 7 free throws made do some research and yep, Duke shot less free throws today against Tennessee than anybody they played all year. Imagine that, read these stats and set back and laugh at this BS....

Gonzaga 26
Tennessee Tech 19
Colorado 26
Fla Gulf Coast 22
Butler 15
Kansas 17
McNeese St 11
USC 7
Alcorn St 16
Georgia 12
Texas 17
Auburn 19
Vandy 12 and 20
Mizzou 17
Eastern KY 18
Maryland 22
Arizona 27
Austin Peay 14
Ole Miss 18
Miss St 17 and 22
South Carolina 15
Kentucky 35 and 25
LSU 17
Florida 24
Bama 20
A&M 34
Auburn 20
DUKE 7

Oh goodie some

Oh goodie a meth addict from East Tennessee Is here to spread the “truth” to us duke fans. Enjoy the win and your run to the elite eight.. quite impressive but eventually the refs won’t give you a fair whistle and Barnes will lead you right back to Knoxville

Ps brush your tooth

Lol you’re a sports board mod who probably makes $50k a year and will continue to bc your takes are so bad.

So all the talk about 7 free throws made do some research and yep, Duke shot less free throws today against Tennessee than anybody they played all year. Imagine that, read these stats and set back and laugh at this BS....

Gonzaga 26
Tennessee Tech 19
Colorado 26
Fla Gulf Coast 22
Butler 15
Kansas 17
McNeese St 11
USC 7
Alcorn St 16
Georgia 12
Texas 17
Auburn 19
Vandy 12 and 20
Mizzou 17
Eastern KY 18
Maryland 22
Arizona 27
Austin Peay 14
Ole Miss 18
Miss St 17 and 22
South Carolina 15
Kentucky 35 and 25
LSU 17
Florida 24
Bama 20
A&M 34
Auburn 20
DUKE 7
Thats crazy...definitely a factor

We all got to see Rick Barnes 101 today. Muck up the game early, and notice (smile) that the refs aren’t going to call many fouls on your boys. He did this back when he was at Clemson. It’s his only way to compete. His team was only called for 3 fouls in the 2nd half. I find that almost impossible to believe.
To those that say “they hit shots, we didn’t,” it’s quite possible that the physical play contributed to our guys not hitting as many.

To take my rant even further, their big, Plavsic, was allowed to hack the piss out of Flip 3 times, and only receive 3 fouls. When the same player is involved in 3 hard fouls on the same kid, to me, it becomes targeting. Which is a strategy I’m sure he was instructed by Barnes. Had the officials reigned that in, it’s possible the game might have gone differently.

We all got to see Rick Barnes 101 today. Muck up the game early, and notice (smile) that the refs aren’t going to call many fouls on your boys. He did this back when he was at Clemson. It’s his only way to compete. His team was only called for 3 fouls in the 2nd half. I find that almost impossible to believe.
To those that say “they hit shots, we didn’t,” it’s quite possible that the physical play contributed to our guys not hitting as many.

To take my rant even further, their big, Plavsic, was allowed to hack the piss out of Flip 3 times, and only receive 3 fouls. When the same player is involved in 3 hard fouls on the same kid, to me, it becomes targeting. Which is a strategy I’m sure he was instructed by Barnes. Had the officials reigned that in, it’s possible the game might have gone differently.

Lol the whistle disappeared when the refs realized Duke only played 7. You got so lucky they reversed that call on roach with 12 min left. But keep blaming the refs when in reality you lost to a better, deeper and tougher team. You guys are soft and it showed.

Holy homeboard Batman. How do you overlook that you’re playing the best defense in the country who has a 10 man rotation with a ton of upperclassman and your mighty blue devils feature 4 freshman and 7 man rotation. That showed up big time today. Just an awful take by a homebord mod lol.
How many national titles does Tennesee have? 0. Have many final fours has Tennessee been apart of ? 0. Tennessee was the better team today, but it's foolish to come to a board of a non rival who has the history Tennessee couldn't catch in a 100 year span.

At least one of those should have been a flagrant 1 to send a message that those types of fouls would not be tolerated...but they didnt send that message..in fact they sent the direct opposite

I remember how many touch fouls Lance Thomas got called for his first couple years, particularly hedging on the perimeter. He didn’t commit those fouls as much by his senior year. It was all about physical maturity and body control.

Playing bully ball is not the fallback style of the unskilled. It’s not just choosing to play that way or not. It’s having the skill and maturity to play it well, under control. That’s not our game. They beat us fair and square dictating the style and playing it better than we did.
Hmmmm. Why did Kentucky shoot 70 free throws in two games against those highly intelligent skilled physical guys then?

Never realized how crucial Mitchell was until about the 19:59 mark of the 1st half and then when that one guy played way outside of his normal distribution.

They were w/o Ziegler but unfortunately our D was just not designed to turn teams over so the loss of him wasn’t as major like it is going to be against other teams. Just my opinion.

Grats to the Vols. As a basketball fan, will be interesting to see if this style works against the Golden Eagles (im assuming it doesn’t vs UK). They will really need to pack the garden to vocalize the refs into even-calling their games. Not a shot just the way the game is today.

Reactions: Dattier
The best defense also picks up fouls on their games, as shown in previous free throw stats. They played well today, and the refs allowed them to fully play their style of basketball. If you can’t see that, when everyone, not just this board I’m talking all the commentators, said how physical it was. Physical means they were allowed to foul and not have it called. If it was a different crew that called more body fouls etc then it doesn’t suite your style and hard for you to win. The refs allowed your style, be happy with that.

Reactions: SkeetBarlow
To you Tennesee idiots, you do realize you would have guys currently in handcuffs if this was anywhere but on a basketball court right?

Reactions: pisgah101
Holy Batman what a bunch of Cry babies! My grandfather pulled for 2 teams his whole life TN and Duke. He’d be embarrassed by some of y’all’s comments. The better team won. Guess what we were without a true PG too.

Gonzaga 26
Tennessee Tech 19
Colorado 26
Fla Gulf Coast 22
Butler 15
Kansas 17
McNeese St 11
USC 7
Alcorn St 16
Georgia 12
Texas 17
Auburn 19
Vandy 12 and 20
Mizzou 17
Eastern KY 18
Maryland 22
Arizona 27
Austin Peay 14
Ole Miss 18
Miss St 17 and 22
South Carolina 15
Kentucky 35 and 25
LSU 17
Florida 24
Bama 20
A&M 34
Auburn 20
DUKE 7
Doesn’t really move me. Cherry-picking stats in a vacuum to support your opinion is just a form of confirmation bias. Off a stat sheet, that says nothing about how any of that happened.

Holy Batman what a bunch of Cry babies! My grandfather pulled for 2 teams his whole life TN and Duke. He’d be embarrassed by some of y’all’s comments. The better team won. Guess what we were without a true PG too.
And if the officiate crew called a tight game and you guys picked up 50 fouls and we shot 30 free throws would you be saying well the better team won. No you would be bitching because the officials didn’t cater to your style of play, which will and has happened see Kentucky games etc. You were truly allowed to play your style of basketball, congrats at being better at it, as it’s your style.

I can’t stand games like this one. You can’t let it turn into a football game with no freedom of motion, flying elbows, etc. BUT then call ticky tacky fouls AND FN flopping charges on top of it! Played right into their favor and strengths. I’m not surprised…. On top of it them pricks made tough shots and won their Super Bowl of the season ..It was the perfect storm….fkm.

Lol the whistle disappeared when the refs realized Duke only played 7. You got so lucky they reversed that call on roach with 12 min left. But keep blaming the refs when in reality you lost to a better, deeper and tougher team. You guys are soft and it showed.

They must’ve upgraded that crystal meth out in Tennessee. Now it’s triple filtered right?
Yet Duke responded by doing nothing outside of letting Tennessee hit shots! That’s not on the coaches but on the team.

I just think this is a weak take that they didn’t do anything. They tried their best with freaking foul trouble. Nothing being called, players getting elbowed left and right and they’re down a starting player before the game tips. They mixed up defenses. Zone helped some but they could not turn TN over. There was a lot going against them in this one. I’ll give TN credit for hitting some shots. We all know how Barnes’s teams play. He used to be in the ACC after all. Vols came out slinging elbows from the tip-off.

Last edited:

No he wouldn’t. And no they didn’t

I would assume if you guys had this crew for every game you would be a 1 seed, maybe undefeated. They allowed you to play extremely physical which is your game. Not all crews will allow that and I would assume most of your losses have come in “real” games not prison ball style. That’s what makes the tourney great and terrible. One bad game, foul trouble and your star, officials who cater to the opposing teams style more and you are done. Again, you won, you move on but don’t be ignorant and not admit the officials allowed you guys to truly play your style.

For the Vols trolls here, there's a big difference between zeigler being out and Mitchell being out. Zeigler has been out a couple weeks now and they've had time to practice together and adjust their rotation. Mitchell out was literally the last minute and Whitehead didn't even know he was going to start until few minutes it started.

Enjoy this one, Duke fans. You won’t get this far again for a while. Dead program walking

Lol coming from a fan of Kensucky? Didn’t you guys just get your 1st tournament win in the last 5 ncaa tournaments, last night? Jon Scheyer will win more national championships than John Calipari when all is said and done. How is that Final 4 drought treating you inbreds by the way?

Big sigh.
We had a good year, disappointing finish. Hard for me to call the season a complete success when we didn't get out of the first weekend. Winning the ACC was nice, but it is clear the ACC is down, and our guys weren't ready for a game like this. Our higher seed meant we get tougher games in round 2; as I've been saying all year, seeding matters. I enjoyed watching this team and think we did some very good things this year. Our youth showed at the worst time. Having Mitchell out hurt but they were down a starter too. Proud of the guys for competing but we just got beat. I really hope everyone doesn't jump ship; it would be nice to build on something.

@bleediteveryday30 i apologize for saying we’d win so easily.. you deff had the right idea and I acted smug about it.. hate I was wrong and hate we lost but no excuse for me to act like a jerk
You're all good, man. No worries, dude. I'm sorry if I was out of line too. I'm just upset we lost. When I saw Mark was out, I knew it was over.

With both Duke and VCU out, I’m rooting for Marquette! Would love for them to beat Michigan State!

I hope you are allowed to continue this playstyle. Your road to the Elite8 looks encouraging.

Vols deserved the Win today. Good luck this coming week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT