ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA round of 32 official game day thread- Duke vs Tennessee

I would assume is you guys had this crew for every game you would be a 1 seed, maybe undefeated. They allowed you to play extremely physical which is your game. Not all crews will allow that and I would assume most of your losses have come in “real” games not prison ball style. That’s what makes the tourney great and terrible. One bad game, foul trouble and your star, officials who cater to the opposing teams style more and you are done. Again, you won, you move on but don’t be ignorant and not admit the officials allowed you guys to truly play your style.

The officials literally overturned a clear 5th foul on roach with 12 min left. Changed it to a guy who clearly got all ball on the reach in. You guys got bailed out big time there or it would have been worse beat down.

The move to zone to protect Roach also did you in bc you got carved up. But I guess it’s the refs fault you don’t have a 10 man rotation like Tenn and can’t afford to have any players foul out.

You guys lost to a much better and deeper team. Just tip your cap and quit making excuses. Tenn didn’t even have their starting point guard who your loser mod pointed to at the beg of the game and had you guys beating us by 20 lol.

Doesn’t really move me. Cherry-picking stats in a vacuum to support your opinion is just a form of confirmation bias. Off a stat sheet, that says nothing about how any of that happened.
Funny how you show up after a season ending loss to “justify” it. You really are a low-life POS.

Reactions: dukesince91
The officials literally overturned a clear 5th foul on roach with 12 min left. Changed it to a guy who clearly got all ball on the reach in. You guys got bailed out big time there or it would have been worse beat down.

The move to zone to protect Roach also did you in bc you got carved up. But I guess it’s the refs fault you don’t have a 10 man rotation like Tenn and can’t afford to have any players foul out.

You guys lost to a much better and deeper team. Just tip your cap and quit making excuses. Tenn didn’t even have their starting point guard who your loser mod pointed to at the beg of the game and had you guys beating us by 20 lol.
The officials called a bs charge on flip when the only true basketball guy on the commentary was like wow that is bs. Which could of been and and one and who knows what happens. Also, if we go by the way it was officiated on our offensive end it shouldn’t have been a foul on roach or Procter. Just good defense of putting your body into someone as they move and or try to shoot. So if it’s the 5th foul on roach and we got so lucky then it’s was 45 fouls on your guys for the same stuff. Don’t throw stones in your glass house buddy.

At the end of the day, Tennessee executed their game plan to a T. Roach committed some stupid fouls in the first half. A couple of UT’s guys did well scoring the ball and made some incredible shots against good defense applied by Proctor. Too many turnovers committed by The Blue Devils, you cannot do that against a good & physical team. I think if Mitchell plays, the coaching staff would have pressed UT from the get go, because Duke would of had more depth, and they probably noticed the success Louisiana was having when they pressed UT. Hopefully we get at least 2-4 between Flip, Proctor, Mitchell, and Roach to return. Good Luck the rest of the way Vols.

Hmmmm. Why did Kentucky shoot 70 free throws in two games against those highly intelligent skilled physical guys then?
I don’t know. I didn’t watch either of those games. Did you? Or are you just blindly citing stats and assuming a narrative?

It could be that I have no idea what I’m talking about. It could be that a senior Oscar Tshiebwe who is arguably the best rebounder in college added a bit of paint presence we don’t have. It could be that being down in the last 4 minutes of each game meant Tennessee deliberately sent them to the line. It could be that they’re a different team with the 5’9” Zeigler that didn’t always work out in their favor. It could be that the second of those two games happened exactly a month ago and things have changed since then.

I freely admit to not knowing exactly why. How arrogant do you have to be to believe that you have it all figured out?

At the end of the day, Tennessee executed their game plan to a T. Roach committed some stupid fouls in the first half. A couple of UT’s guys did well scoring the ball and made some incredible shots against good defense applied by Proctor. Too many turnovers committed by The Blue Devils, you cannot do that against a good & physical team. I think if Mitchell plays, the coaching staff would have pressed UT from the get go, because Duke would of had more depth, and they probably noticed the success Louisiana was having when they pressed UT. Hopefully we get at least 2-4 between Flip, Proctor, Mitchell, and Roach to return. Good Luck the rest of the way Vols.
Yes Tennessee did. However, the refs aided them by allowing them to be extremely physical which was their game

Big sigh.
We had a good year, disappointing finish. Hard for me to call the season a complete success when we didn't get out of the first weekend. Winning the ACC was nice, but it is clear the ACC is down, and our guys weren't ready for a game like this. Our higher seed meant we get tougher games in round 2; as I've been saying all year, seeding matters. I enjoyed watching this team and think we did some very good things this year. Our youth showed at the worst time. Having Mitchell out hurt but they were down a starter too. Proud of the guys for competing but we just got beat. I really hope everyone doesn't jump ship; it would be nice to build on something.
I disagree. Our FRESHMAN (how crazy) were ready and fought hard ….which makes it sting harder for me . I cant say anything negative about any player in this game. They got the game and calls they wanted and made shots . The end .

Yeah I don’t think any of us disagree there. That missed call on Roach was atrocious. Disagree that it would have been worse as I don’t even think J Roach did a single thing from that point on.

Agreed on the move to zone. It was worth a shot just didn’t work our way. I thought it was worth a try.

Disagree the better team won. More accurate to say Tenn was the better team today.

Good luck the rest of the way.

A frustrating end to the season. Losing Mitchell hurt, then the officials called the game in such a way that it completely favored Tennessee.

Tennessee is clearly the better football team than Duke.

But it’s also frustrating that the entire season is felt like Scheyer just did not get much respect as a coach from the officials because he was a rookie. That, to me, was clearly evident in many games, including two that were absolute stolen from us by not applying for rules of the game correctly! But, in fact, it was evident throughout the season, including this game.

Except that, some of the other fouls should not have been called on him, and they would not have been called. Had the officials called all the shoving and body fouls that Tennessee committed on virtually every possession. If you let a game go like that, well, that’s going to dictate an advantage for one team over another. If the game is called closely and they call the body fouls early in the game would’ve played out completely differently.

That was our game too though. Vols just couldn't miss. Our rebounding advantage become obsolete.
We don’t play extremely physical. We crash the board but Lively isn’t a physical presence. Proctor and roach aren’t, Flip can be at times but he is still on the slender side. Mitchell is built and was missed. We don’t play bully ball, we just rebound due to our size (height not thickness)

A frustrating end to the season. Losing Mitchell hurt, then the officials called the game in such a way that it completely favored Tennessee.

Tennessee is clearly the better football team than Duke.

But it’s also frustrating that the entire season is felt like Scheyer just did not get much respect as a coach from the officials because he was a rookie. That, to me, was clearly evident in many games, including two that were absolute stolen from us by not applying for rules of the game correctly! But, in fact, it was evident throughout the season, including this game.
And this is where he will get better. We saw him get more vocal as the year went on. No one hates lose as much as Coach. I remember how pissed he got as a player and is known for his drive to win. We're in great hands. This year went way better than we all thought it would. The injury bug bit us all year until it didn't and then we took off all the way to sweeping our rivals and winning the ACC Championship. Then it reared its ugly head once more and derailed our chances. It's a bum draw. But man do I have faith in Jon and his staff. They really impressed me this year.

We don’t play extremely physical. We crash the board but Lively isn’t a physical presence. Proctor and roach aren’t, Flip can be at times but he is still on the slender side. Mitchell is built and was missed. We don’t play bully ball, we just rebound due to our size (height not thickness)
Fair enough.

Vols on the ball pressure was impressive and it got us out of our rhythm.

The elbows to Filipowski was bush league and he might not even face that in the NBA hahah!

But we never forced Tenn to adapt. We were a great performance from Proctor away from kinda humbling showing.

Wisconsin fan/grad here. Tough lose, but duke will be fine. I took a look at rupp rafters and they have like 10 threads about Duke . There isnt a worse fan base than Kentucky and i wish them nothing but failure. life would suck living in that shit state.
Appreciated. Wisconsin is always a good group.

Really just go to any basketball board though and not just RR. You would have thought we got beat by an 8 seed and didn’t just lose to someone seeded higher. Duke brand is still the strongest in basketball so it’s a pain in the ass to deal with but ultimately a good thing. Fire away

Flip Gone. Proctor GONE. Whitehead Gone... Jon needs to prioritize Lively(because we have NO center in the class), Mitchell (because he is far from league ready) Roach (because you only as good as your PG, and we shouldn't want to start off with 2 FRESHMEN PGs)... Whitehead should come back but I doubt he will. Just like the others... Transfer portal we go.

How many national titles does Tennesee have? 0. Have many final fours has Tennessee been apart of ? 0. Tennessee was the better team today, but it's foolish to come to a board of a non rival who has the history Tennessee couldn't catch in a 100 year span.

All I know is you’re going to be watching the vols play next weekend. Enjoy L losers!

At least one of those should have been a flagrant 1 to send a message that those types of fouls would not be tolerated...but they didnt send that message..in fact they sent the direct opposite
Strongly disagree. The refs reviewed a few of those closely. I agree that each of them was a legit basketball play. Refs should not call any one of them differently because it helps a certain narrative.

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
Wisconsin fan/grad here. Tough lose, but duke will be fine. I took a look at rupp rafters and they have like 10 threads about Duke . There isnt a worse fan base than Kentucky and i wish them nothing but failure. life would suck living in that shit state.
You aren’t lying Wisc2015, by the way, I was at the Final 4 in person when you guys snapped their undefeated streak. I enjoyed watching that sad bunch of Kentucky fans (I’m talking about grown men here) bawling their eyes out over a college basketball game hahaha.

Flip Gone. Proctor GONE. Whitehead Gone... Jon needs to prioritize Lively(because we have NO center in the class), Mitchell (because he is far from league ready) Roach (because you only as good as your PG, and we shouldn't want to start off with 2 FRESHMEN PGs)... Whitehead should come back but I doubt he will. Just like the others... Transfer portal we go.
Lively is not coming back. I'm hoping for Mitchell, Proctor and Flip. But I'm not sure any of them return. Maybe Mitchell.

You talked to Proctor? Also lively isn’t coming back and neither is dariq. Duke won’t be hitting the portal hard either

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Proctor and Mitchell would be a nice core. Add Young Schutt and Blakes and Reeves. But that seems very optimistic. I really like Flip, but him getting that nervous before a game might give me pause if I were an NBA scout. Nothing wrong with that, but if he feels he is not ready maybe we get one more year out of him. My guess is he goes, but none of our guys improved their draft stock the last week.

REALISTICLY, Mitchell and Roach will be the only 2 to possibly return. Whitehead and Lively will be picks 25+/second round. Flip will be 12-25. And Proctor will be second round...

Proctor and Mitchell would be a nice core. Add Young Schutt and Blakes and Reeves. But that seems very optimistic. I really like Flip, but him getting that nervous before a game might give me pause if I were an NBA scout. Nothing wrong with that, but if he feels he is not ready maybe we get one more year out of him. My guess is he goes, but none of our guys improved their draft stock the last week.
Flip would be really smart to come back , today is what you get in the league. Don’t see him coming back tho

The word is that Roach is moving on. One of Proctor/Roach, and Mitchell. Just Mitchell back and we will be the muppet babies again. At least Young will be back.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Whole seasons worth of stats is cherry picking.....sure

I don’t know. I didn’t watch either of those games. Did you? Or are you just blindly citing stats and assuming a narrative?

It could be that I have no idea what I’m talking about. It could be that a senior Oscar Tshiebwe who is arguably the best rebounder in college added a bit of paint presence we don’t have. It could be that being down in the last 4 minutes of each game meant Tennessee deliberately sent them to the line. It could be that they’re a different team with the 5’9” Zeigler that didn’t always work out in their favor. It could be that the second of those two games happened exactly a month ago and things have changed since then.

I freely admit to not knowing exactly why. How arrogant do you have to be to believe that you have it all figured out?
Yes I did. Tennessee wasn't allowed to do the BS in those games.

The word is that Roach is moving on. One of Proctor/Roach, and Mitchell. Just Mitchell back and we will be the muppet babies again. At least Young will be back.
Where would Roach go? Pro? He doesnt seem to have that level of game tbh. Another year and he could have a Quinn Cook breakout which would be better for him..but worse players have declared from Duke....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT