ADVERTISEMENT

My coach told me free throws win Games...

jamsession3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 4, 2005
This lost hurt because it was about the details.
The team had a good season. It wasn't great because of the details. I don't know if that means we struggled because we lack experience, depth or focus. Great Game, but it came down to details.

Yup. I was talking to my dad, who was a high school coach for 30 years. He said "you can't miss 2 foul shots in the last minute."

Reactions: germantondevil
We missed one more free throw than the first 4 games combined. 9 total first 4 games. This game 8.

9-9 against Fullerton
16-21 against MSU
15-17 against TTU
16-18 against Arkansas

It wasn't only free throws but also the 3's. Was it the dome or guys were just off? Even Koach-Q said we were missing a bunch in the warm ups

Last edited:
We made the necessary adjustments to the 3pt shot by attacking the basket. We were looking for the old 3pt play. It was just details when it mattered. Not by just one players, but as a team.

Reactions: germantondevil
The shooting was atrocious to say the least. I knew the game was over early in the 2nd half just because UNC found the range first and was the only team to find the range. They kept hitting dagger three after three and we kept bricking threes!

Roach Moore AJ went 7 for 32 from the field. Yes the free throws late hurt but UNC found a way to hit shots, even though many were well contested. We did not. At the end of MSU and TT we finished strong and found a way to win. Last night we didn’t. Game over.

We were up 3 at the half, I went to get some ice cream and I came back we were down 7. Yikes.

It was just awful. We actually played well enough to win. Didn’t not make many mental errors. And always came back against their runs. Three things stuck out.

1. we were too nervous early. That led to mistakes and fouls which put Williams out. And he never really got into the flow of the game. He had a poor game and did not play with the maturity he had been showing. that was the case for the whole team. In a general sense our play on the court was good enough to have won by 10 imo. But …

2. We did shoot FTs poorly. 12 of 20. Even if we make 2 or 3 of those it is a different game, we are not having to foul at the end. We were too tight and shot like we were tight.

3. 5 of 22 from 3. Awful. AJ just had a very poor shooting night and also missed a couple of shots inside he usually never misses. Even one more 3 and the game comes down to OT or a final shot to win. Make two of those 3s at the right time and we might have won going away. We were up by 7 with the ball and had a chance to go up 9 or 10.

I think those were the difference. We never could relax and did not play with the confidence that we had been. Even though we played well, there never was that comfort level.

UNC did a really good job of taking away dribble penetration by Roach. Even when he got into the lane, their length created problems for him scoring and our bad 3 shooting made it difficult to kick it out.

No one in this team, other than AJ is a pure shooter and he is still so young that he is hot and cold and didn’t have it. Such a bummer. Really need players who can actually light it up from 3. AS both UNC and KU have. It’s a weapon this team never had.

The utter vanity of sports.

It was just awful. We actually played well enough to win. Didn’t not make many mental errors. And always came back against their runs. Three things stuck out.

1. we were too nervous early. That led to mistakes and fouls which put Williams out. And he never really got into the flow of the game. He had a poor game and did not play with the maturity he had been showing. that was the case for the whole team. In a general sense our play on the court was good enough to have won by 10 imo. But …

2. We did shoot FTs poorly. 12 of 20. Even if we make 2 or 3 of those it is a different game, we are not having to foul at the end. We were too tight and shot like we were tight.

3. 5 of 22 from 3. Awful. AJ just had a very poor shooting night and also missed a couple of shots inside he usually never misses. Even one more 3 and the game comes down to OT or a final shot to win. Make two of those 3s at the right time and we might have won going away. We were up by 7 with the ball and had a chance to go up 9 or 10.

I think those were the difference. We never could relax and did not play with the confidence that we had been. Even though we played well, there never was that comfort level.

UNC did a really good job of taking away dribble penetration by Roach. Even when he got into the lane, their length created problems for him scoring and our bad 3 shooting made it difficult to kick it out.

No one in this team, other than AJ is a pure shooter and he is still so young that he is hot and cold and didn’t have it. Such a bummer. Really need players who can actually light it up from 3. AS both UNC and KU have. It’s a weapon this team never had.

The utter vanity of sports.
That's the worse part about the tourney. One bad shooting night and you're out. I just wonder if the dome messed with our shooting.

i said this in the game thread. we won against MSU and Tech by knocking down some HUGE foul shots. against UNC we didn’t. i actually thought this team had a big chance because we’ve been good at FT’s.

when mark went to the line with a minute left i felt confident. his free throw stroke has looked great during march. he missed.

the. Keels went 1-2 and we lost. manek went 0-2 on a couple but UNC gave themselves a cushion. love hit his shots. we didn’t. that’s the game

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
for our outside shooting woes, we were like 2-14 from 3 at halftime and up 3. i thought we were in good shape. but..

we didn’t close that half all that well (though roach had a big time and 1) and we squandered our lead.

Free throws can most definitely win games. Or lose. If you look at our team stats, the fouls were basically even, yet we were outrebounded by 9, shot 12-20 (60%) from the ft line, and 5-22 (22.7%) from 3.

Let us also not forget that Leaky, who hadn't made a 3 since February, hit not one, but two 3's. While our 50% 3 pt shooter, Griffin, was 0-4 and Roach was 0-5. Through it all, we still had a chance to win.

Key word chance.

Didn't the Cheats play in the dome too? Didn't we have the same kind of atrocious shooting night against the Cheats in Cameron? OFC
Yes but the Cheats shot as bad as we did in the first half and they got adapted to the surroundings in the second half and we never did. Not making excuses but just trying to find a reason why we were so bad or we just picked a bad night to be off 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

and the heels also hit their free throws down the stretch. if mark goes 1-2 from the line, and love hits the 3, it’s still a 1 possession game

instead it becomes a 4 point game. because 0-2

then keels misses the second. helping them extend to 4 and end the game.

it’s hard to go 1-4 from the line under 1:00 in a close final 4 game and win. the difference against tech and msu is we hit those. or moore and AJ were the ones taking them

You would think that shooting 3s would be harder in the SuperDome, but this year and in past tournaments the percentages are very good. Kansas was 13 of 24 from 3 and Villanova was 13 of 31. Those teams shot a combined 18 of 23 from the foul line

One thing I get annoyed at is hearing "how lucky they were" when talking about other teams hitting shots. Stepping up at big times isn't lucky. We did it against MSU and TT and Arkansas. You have to make plays at crunch time. They did; we didn't. We can't have it both ways. Laettner wasn't lucky; he kept composed and hit a big shot.

Reactions: geddoughton23
One thing I get annoyed at is hearing "how lucky they were" when talking about other teams hitting shots. Stepping up at big times isn't lucky. We did it against MSU and TT and Arkansas. You have to make plays at crunch time. They did; we didn't. We can't have it both ways. Laettner wasn't lucky; he kept composed and hit a big shot.
You are correct, Christophero! Even Laettner missed free throws in a nationally televised game as a freshman. Former President Nixon called to console him. I don't think he ever missed another important FT

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT