ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Curtis All Pro Duke Football player

Mike was an All American player at Duke drafted 1965 by the Colts died today he was 77 he was a darn good player & person. R.I.P. Mike

I hate to hear of this. One of my favorite Duke athletes ever and he went on to play for my favorite NFL teams in the Colts. Truly one of the most underated linebackers ever to play. I still remember the fan he decleated when the idiot came on the field between quarters , picked up the ball and started to run with it. Curtis unloaded on him and in the old clip it looks like the guy goes airborn about 3 or 4 yds. After the game Curtis was ask by a reporter why he hit the guy and Curtis relpied to so ething like this. He had the ball didn't he ? OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: Dukeman and RHFD
Some people just dont understand the mindset of defensive players, especially linebackers. Some just have to learn the hard way.
Sad to hear of Curtis' passing.

Mike's fraternity was right next to mine. Our dorm rooms were on the same floor, separated by a fire door. One night after an exam my roommate and I were raising hell and drinking beer. We were real loud. All of a sudden we heard the fire door slam open against the wall, We peeked out of our room and saw an upset Curtis, who was studying for an exam, walking toward us. Don't think I have ever been that scared. All he said was "Keep it Down," which reflects the fact that off of the football field, he was a really good guy. He has a very special place in Duke's sports history. I am very saddened by his passing. OFC

Hate to hear this. When I started following Duke athletics Curtis and Scotty Glacken were the mainstays of the team. My dad took my brother and I to go see Duke and Wake Forest play at Bowman Gray stadium in Curtis's Sr. year. I was so excited but some guy from WF ran all over us that day. Guy by the name of Brian Piccolo.

My fraternity brothers who played on the team with him say that everyone connected to the program knew that he was special from the moment he first arrived at Duke and that throughout his time here he gave 100% on every play and in every practice.

Reactions: skysdad and tate12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT