ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke bs hofstra

Good to see Blakes flourishing. I don't care about upside or how many stars you have; I care about production and effort. Flip looks great; we will need this Flip going forward.
We wore Hofstra down. As we should.

Nice win to build up to the Baylor game. We need to give them a good game; a blowout and we are back to square one. If we battle and its close and we lose I will be okay with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
Hofstra is good enough to win their league. I'm impressed with how hard they play. We took their best shot and locked in defensively at the end of the 1st half and for most of the second half. We held them well below their season average. Great ball movement. D is improving.

Hofstra's okay, maybe an NIT team. But still a good win. We held serve the last 2 games on our court and seemed to improve.

Glad to see the guys get it together in the second half. Anyone have info with Stewart? Set
Is he on the shit list with Scheyer? He buried deep on the bench depth chart.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Four guys scored 13 or more. That’s sharing the ball. The best stat is Flip and Roach each having 8 assists.
The way the team played the second half may have been the best they’ve looked all season.

And whatever Jon said at halftime worked too. Dubar had 17 at the half, Thomas 11. They both scored 7 each in the second half.

Hofstra is good enough to win their league. I'm impressed with how hard they play. We took their best shot and locked in defensively at the end of the 1st half and for most of the second half. We held them well below their season average. Great ball movement. D is improving.

Bleed very good analysis. Defense still needs to improve, especially Duke’s defense on the 3 point line.

I agree with dukesince91 and Ghost though, this is the most complete Duke has looked offensively, in the game against Charlotte, Duke was not smooth in the 2nd half.

As of right now it looks like Duke will be 5 deep at the guard spot once Proctor returns.

Our bigs at the moment seem to only be Flip, Mitchell, and Power (in limited minutes).

Tonight was the best game offensively that Flip and Mitchell played cohesively and individually. Duke just needs to continue to move the ball like they did tonight and continue to make strides on the defensive end.

Hopefully, Power, Young, Stewart, and Reeves can catch up with the other 7. It would be nice for Duke to be a legitimate 8-10 deep heading into the back half of February and onward.

Last edited:
How much will Baylor be favored by? I am thinking 4 points
Jon could use a signature win this year

lol at saying we looked better against Charlotte.

Good game today. Actually enjoyed watching for the first time this season

Reactions: dukesince91
All, I believe bleed was saying Duke’s ball movement looked better against Charlotte compared to what it had looked like earlier this season. I don’t believe he was comparing the Charlotte and Hofstra game to each other.

My mistake bleed, I know what you are saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Chris, I am pretty sure you called me a glass half empty guy early in the season haha. The great thing is the Blue Devils have plenty of time to prepare for Baylor.

Reactions: christophero
All, I believe bleed was saying Duke’s ball movement looked better against Charlotte compared to what it had looked like earlier this season. I don’t believe he was comparing the Charlotte and Hofstra game to each other.

My mistake bleed, I know what you are saying.
Yeah, that's all I meant. No worries.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Bleed very good analysis. Defense still needs to improve, especially Duke’s defense on the 3 point line.

I agree with dukesince91 and Ghost though, this is the most complete Duke has looked offensively, in the game against Charlotte, Duke was not smooth in the 2nd half.

As of right now it looks like Duke will be 5 deep at the guard spot once Proctor returns.

Our bigs at the moment seem to only be Flip, Mitchell, and Power (in limited minutes).

Tonight was the best game offensively that Flip and Mitchell played cohesively and individually. Duke just needs to continue to move the ball like they did tonight and continue to make strides on the defensive end.

Hopefully, Power, Young, Stewart, and Reeves can catch up with the other 7. It would be nice for Duke to be a legitimate 8-10 deep heading into the back half of February and onward.
This game was not the best matchup for Young and Power. Reeves is hurt. I hope there is a redshirt for him. Stewart could've played, but it would've been Mitchell's role tonight.

This may be the most out of shape team I have seen from Duke ever. At the first media timeout the team looked gassed. It took forever for Coach S to sub someone for Flip. I think it was around the 6:00 mark that happened. At the under 12 the entire team looked like they wanted to quit.

I’m sure it didn’t help that Hofstra probably had the best game ever since they’ve had a basketball team but it’s still no excuse to bent over with your hands on your knees at a timeout.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Good recovery last night to cruise to the win. I am not sure why the starters were still on the floor with 6 mins left and a 22 point lead. That seems like a K hangover IMHO. Why not get the fringe players some burn? I just don't understand that, never will really. You know the drill though.....I am not a D1 CBB Coach, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

I still feel like Roach is the only player who can get to the rim for us.

Most of those Crazies…..were not college students. It was probably 75/25 regular folk over students. They had a small section for students and the rest were GA tickets to the public.
Ohhhhhhhh wow hahaha well the old people are better then the kids

Most of those Crazies…..were not college students. It was probably 75/25 regular folk over students. They had a small section for students and the rest were GA tickets to the public.
@pisgah101 wants to know if there were any Cowboy fans in the crowd? 😉

Fwiw, a Duke fan posted on a Duke fan group today that the offense Duke ran for 6 possessions last night was similar to the offense the Denver Nuggets run with Jokic, Murray, and Monte Morris.

Flip playing the role of Jokic, Foster playing the role of Murray, and Roach playing the role of Monte Morris. During these possessions, Duke inverted 5-1 pindowns. The point of this offense is to expose the size mismatches while practicing great floor spacing and screening. He had pictures on the post too which showed the similarities with pics from last night and pictures from the nuggets running the offense. Kudos to the coaching staff for making this tweak!!! Let’s see more of this please!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT