ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Maye

That's not really what Steat said. At some point he said Luke's shooting stroke reminded him of Bird. He got some good-natured ish about it. Now he refers to Luke as Bird. It's all in good fun.

If Luke had time to think about that KY shot, it would have never gone in, lol.....And he doesnt show up in class next day for photo-op!!!:p

OFC

That's not really what Steat said. At some point he said Luke's shooting stroke reminded him of Bird. He got some good-natured ish about it. Now he refers to Luke as Bird. It's all in good fun.
The only 2 things Luke and Bird have in common is they're both white and both hustle. A better comparison for Maye would be a calm version of Hansbrough

I'll give Maye his due, he's worked himself into a pretty good baller...and his stroke (with the eye shadow brush) puts Larry Legend to shame.

Maybelline%20Luke%20Mayebelline.jpg

OFC

While obviously there's no real comparison between Maye and Bird, the comparison is more light humor than anything else.

Big Luke hustles his ass off and really improved last year as a player. The shot against Kentucky cemented his legacy forever. It'll be interesting to see how he does this year as our only real experienced big man.

While obviously there's no real comparison between Maye and Bird, the comparison is more light humor than anything else.

Big Luke hustles his ass off and really improved last year as a player. The shot against Kentucky cemented his legacy forever. It'll be interesting to see how he does this year as our only real experienced big man.
Agreee, Steat says a lot of moronic things. A lot, such as saying Duke doesn't do anything without a senior big man, not even sure what that means, but as was pointed out by WWJD, it was clearly a joke.

As for Luke, I'm with you here and am interested to see how he does when he's more of a focal point of defensive schemes rather than just an after thought. Kid clearly works hard and has made the most of his abilities.

A poster (Steat) on THR has stated multiple times that Luke Maye is "the second coming of the legend" (Larry Bird). Hahhahaha

Luke Maye has the level of competence that enables 'im to contribute on a team full of much better players. Fine. I can see why unx fans love 'im. Not hard to exceed expectations when there were none. Doesn't change the reality. Celebrate his accomplishments but never forget who he is. He's a luxury on a squad loaded with upper-classmen...highly-rated upper-classmen outta high shool too. Roy's recruiting , as of now , is nowhere NEAR what he's used to. Ask 'im ( or some of these unx'ers ) if they want FIVE Luke Mayes out there every game. If he becomes a "go-to" guy? Well , I ain't that lucky.

Luke Maye has the level of competence that enables 'im to contribute on a team full of much better players. Fine. I can see why unx fans love 'im. Not hard to exceed expectations when there were none. Doesn't change the reality. Celebrate his accomplishments but never forget who he is. He's a luxury on a squad loaded with upper-classmen...highly-rated upper-classmen outta high shool too. Roy's recruiting , as of now , is nowhere NEAR what he's used to. Ask 'im ( or some of these unx'ers ) if they want FIVE Luke Mayes out there every game. If he becomes a "go-to" guy? Well , I ain't that lucky.

He was in the PERFECT situation last year to blossom- virtually hidden and forgotten as a viable option among Berry, Jackson, and UNC's physical and imposing bigs. That "Bird will never fly," when he has to be a serious "go-to" guy. OFC

Everybody has fingers crossed about the front line. Most of those low-ranked new kids look promising in one or more aspects of their game, but the big question is "when will they show up"? Next year could be a hard slog, or a pleasant surprise.

Some think this UNC team could play great small ball. A feeling that started making more sense with the addition of Cam Johnson. But I'm not convinced. You still need someone strong in the middle to compete against top schools.

You can't really call this year a rebuilding year with so many returning good players. But they are all guards and wings, so the outlook won't be clear for a while.

He was in the PERFECT situation last year to blossom- virtually hidden and forgotten as a viable option among Berry, Jackson, and UNC's physical and imposing bigs. That "Bird will never fly," when he has to be a serious "go-to" guy. OFC
That's his challenge this year. Some think he will be up to it, some are less sanguine.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Agreee, Steat says a lot of moronic things. A lot, such as saying Duke doesn't do anything without a senior big man, not even sure what that means, but as was pointed out by WWJD, it was clearly a joke.

As for Luke, I'm with you here and am interested to see how he does when he's more of a focal point of defensive schemes rather than just an after thought. Kid clearly works hard and has made the most of his abilities.

lol yeah it's a just a running gag. No one should read into it that much.

I do think Luke benefited last year from being the fourth in a list of big men that took up a lot of attention. However, I wouldn't underestimate him either. I think his work ethic alone ensures he will be a valuable contributor.

lol yeah it's a just a running gag. No one should read into it that much.

However, I wouldn't underestimate him either. I think his work ethic alone ensures he will be a valuable contributor.

I am sure Coach K is taking copious notes...

OFC

Or.....Rivers put it up....it's good!!! It's good!!! The heels fans are shocked here in crapel hill!!

Hey Dukefan, don't mind him. He shows up over here every now and then stirring up trouble......typical

Reactions: DukefanKY
You know, in all seriousness, that a good part of Steat believes Luke is going to be as good as Larry Bird. The clown is that naive.....
He started out being serious about Luke being Bird but even the fools at THR started laughing at him and he then started joking about it.

So Luke & Theo are their go to guys this season? I feel good about that.

This explains Joel Berry's body transformation over the summer. Berry and Cam Johnson will truly have to carry this team. Had UNC not managed to land Cam Johnson, they would be competing for a NIT title this year.

Let's wait until the Holes do actually stink before we go predicting how they will do. We all know about expectations. I want them to be as bad as the rest of you, but until that does happen, I expect them to be solid. They have a good point guard, Johnson appears to be a solid wing, possibly a talented freshman in Felton, and some unknown young bigs. It could go either way for them, but if at least one of the freshmen bigs is productive, they will be a top 15-20 team.

Funny thing about Theo, when he was honored at his local hs this past spring, ((TRUE STORY)), he was asked if classes were harder at his hs, or UNC??? Told his his hs colleagues, they were DEFINITELY HARDER before he went to UNC
#TheoKnew

OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Let's wait until the Holes do actually stink before we go predicting how they will do. We all know about expectations. I want them to be as bad as the rest of you, but until that does happen, I expect them to be solid. They have a good point guard, Johnson appears to be a solid wing, possibly a talented freshman in Felton, and some unknown young bigs. It could go either way for them, but if at least one of the freshmen bigs is productive, they will be a top 15-20 team.
Bingo.

I think we will have a very solid backcourt. We have a ton of depth on the 1-3 spots. It's how the big men play. To be frank, I think Roy might have to play a lot of small ball this year. It's certainly possible for the freshman bigs to become productive down the line, but I expect it'll take some time before that happens. Garrison brooks might be the one most ready to contribute.

Sorry I refuse to play nice. The very personal and derogatory things they say about our school AND PARTICULARLY our coach doesnt permit to cut em any slack....I dont blame K one iota for saying "I would never have dinner in Chapel Hill."

OFC

For sure. I am firmly in the camp that thinks they are going to be pretty darn good. I don't think they are one of the genuine contenders this year, but they are going to be solid.

Sorry I refuse to play nice. The very personal and derogatory things they say about our school AND PARTICULARLY our coach doesnt permit to cut em any slack....I dont blame K one iota for saying "I would never have dinner in Chapel Hill."

OFC
Amen brother!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT