ADVERTISEMENT

Kyrie going to the Celtics

The fact they traded Crowder, shows how much faith and how quickly they want Tatum on the floor getting minutes. The kid will be an all-star.
Agree with this 100%, and maybe I don't understand all the nuances of the game or something but I would have made the trade that Boston made all day long. If I can have Kyrie on my team, I absolutely want that.

Reactions: dukehokie
I'm not seeing what most of you are seeing here. Kyrie's a truly gifted player, but wants to be the man, is that right? Am I wrong to assume he doesn't want to be Lebrons little brother anymore? Someone has to be the sidekick. I'm seeing a selfish player, and I don't care that he played for Duke.
Most of the great ones had a sidekick.
I realize it's a business, but it looks like to me that he's putting his self over winning. I know Boston is trying to load up, but Lebron may have something to say about that.
You know it may just be that Kyrie honestly believed that playing with Lebron greatly limited his ability to contribute to winning and that he could make a far greater contribution, and be far more useful, somewhere else. Kyrie is a great young man and has done nothing which can be even remotely characterized as selfish. You are way off point, my friend.

Reactions: Tlass and dbav
Hard to care about two guys that barely unpacked their bags at Duke but I do wish them the best...

tenor.gif

Hard to care about two guys that barely unpacked their bags at Duke but I do wish them the best...

They played at Duke and as far as I'm concerned they are Dukie's One and done is the way it is now. Don't like it, never have liked it and never will like it but until things change we need to recruit them. I've been a Duke fan since 1961 and have seen just about everything from a roster that had no African-Americans to a roster to have a great majority of African-Americans which has bettered the game and bettered all things. I was a Duke fan before Coach K and will be one after Coach K. Even if things change and say high school players become eligible for the draft and there are so many that there has to be a minor league system close to baseball and the caliber of college basketball changes I will still be a Duke fan but the simple reason it's Duke basketball. OFC

They played at Duke and as far as I'm concerned they are Dukie's One and done is the way it is now. Don't like it, never have liked it and never will like it but until things change we need to recruit them. I've been a Duke fan since 1961 and have seen just about everything from a roster that had no African-Americans to a roster to have a great majority of African-Americans which has bettered the game and bettered all things. I was a Duke fan before Coach K and will be one after Coach K. Even if things change and say high school players become eligible for the draft and there are so many that there has to be a minor league system close to baseball and the caliber of college basketball changes I will still be a Duke fan but the simple reason it's Duke basketball. OFC

Exactly skysdad. Once a Dukie, always a Dukie.

#TheBrotherhood

For a couple guys that didn't unpack their bags they sure seemed to forget a lot of things while they were here, seeing as both come back quite a bit.

Reactions: Quavarius
I am sure glad Winslow, Okafor, and Jones gave us that one year....I thoroughly enjoyed hanging #5

Gotta admit I feel more of a bond w/those guys even though they gave us just the one year. It seems like they bought into everything K was trying to do on both ends of the floor, and proved the notion no i in team. Brandon Ingram is another 1 and done I really follow, because he always kept his cool on the court and didnt try to get cool....

OFC

Reactions: Liftee and skysdad
You know it may just be that Kyrie honestly believed that playing with Lebron greatly limited his ability to contribute to winning and that he could make a far greater contribution, and be far more useful, somewhere else. Kyrie is a great young man and has done nothing which can be even remotely characterized as selfish. You are way off point, my friend.
Maybe I am off base, and maybe Lebron is hard to play with. A lot of the greats are. Having said that, why would you leave Lebron? He's the best, and it's not like he kept Kyrie from shooting. You do realize he took more shots than Lebron? He won a title with Lebron. Now time will tell if he can do it without. If not, then this to me is a selfish act. Its like playing and starting for K, but transferring to another team so you can be the man.
I'm sorry, but I think he's getting some of this soft treatment because he played for Duke.

Maybe I am off base, and maybe Lebron is hard to play with. A lot of the greats are. Having said that, why would you leave Lebron? He's the best, and it's not like he kept Kyrie from shooting. You do realize he took more shots than Lebron? He won a title with Lebron. Now time will tell if he can do it without. If not, then this to me is a selfish act. Its like playing and starting for K, but transferring to another team so you can be the man.
I'm sorry, but I think he's getting some of this soft treatment because he played for Duke.

KI got no "soft treatment" here......Rick Bonnell covers NBA for Charlotte Observer:

Hey, Kyrie Irving, be careful what you wish for

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article168786097.html

OFC

Kyrie left Cleveland to try and make his own mark. Is that selfish? Maybe, but I am not sure how anyone can hold that against him in any way. Pro athletes have individual goals too. Every single one of them. I think it is wrong to come down on him for that. It also doesn't mean they are not team guys either.

Reactions: dbav
Let's also remember Cleveland was built around LeBron; not Kyrie. With Bron leaving a team that was built around him after the 2018 season, it would be smart for Kyrie to leave and go to a better situation. I'm no Celtics fan, but their front office is ran a lot better than Cleveland's.

Let's also remember Cleveland was built around LeBron; not Kyrie. With Bron leaving a team that was built around him after the 2018 season, it would be smart for Kyrie to leave and go to a better situation. I'm no Celtics fan, but their front office is ran a lot better than Cleveland's.
Q, anyone telling me a player should or should not do something is just totally wrong. They have thier career and lives to think about. Also obtaining certian goals they have had since they were children. Sure Kyrie had a chance to ride Lebrons coattails for at least one more season, but why not look out for yourself and get yourself in a good situation for yourself when there is nothing but uncertainty about the current franchises future. By Irving requesting a trade, he ensured that he would be moved to a winning place and he will not have to go through a rebuild after this year. Irving did what nobody else is going to do for him in the NBA....he looked out for his own best interests. It is not only a game that they love to play but it is a business and a job. I would love to see someone tell me in my professional life that I am wrong for moving to a job that I believe is better for me and my future. Is that selfish? You bet your bottom dollar it is and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Q, anyone telling me a player should or should not do something is just totally wrong. They have thier career and lives to think about. Also obtaining certian goals they have had since they were children. Sure Kyrie had a chance to ride Lebrons coattails for at least one more season, but why not look out for yourself and get yourself in a good situation for yourself when there is nothing but uncertainty about the current franchises future. By Irving requesting a trade, he ensured that he would be moved to a winning place and he will not have to go through a rebuild after this year. Irving did what nobody else is going to do for him in the NBA....he looked out for his own best interests. It is not only a game that they love to play but it is a business and a job. I would love to see someone tell me in my professional life that I am wrong for moving to a job that I believe is better for me and my future. Is that selfish? You bet your bottom dollar it is and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

He did it like a BAWSE!

We'd all love the luxury of going to a better job; one that we have the most control over when it comes to location/situation.

Reactions: denniden
I can't get mad at Kyrie for bolting. He just made a preemptive strike before James possibly bolted again...having did so twice already in his career. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

OFC

James already said he's gone. Kyrie did the right thing at the right time. Don't care to hear Kyrie did it for selfish reasons. He wants to win more rings and it wasn't going to happen with James jumping ship. OFC

James already said he's gone. Kyrie did the right thing at the right time. Don't care to hear Kyrie did it for selfish reasons. He wants to win more rings and it wasn't going to happen with James jumping ship. OFC
Yeah Sky, but Lebron isn't leaving for another year. What if Lebron says he's leaving so Cleveland brings in some help. I don't know. I still think some are looking at Kyrie with this opinion because he played for Duke. I just think people would have said Pippen was stupid if he would have wanted to leave Jordan to be the man

He did it like a BAWSE!

We'd all love the luxury of going to a better job; one that we have the most control over when it comes to location/situation.
Exactly. Which is why I find it a ridiculous take when someone calls an athlete selfish for wanting to what they feel is best for themselves. If you believe it is okay for yourself to do it, why would anyone criticize someone else for doing it? Seems totally unfair and hypocritical.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Yeah Sky, but Lebron isn't leaving for another year. What if Lebron says he's leaving so Cleveland brings in some help. I don't know. I still think some are looking at Kyrie with this opinion because he played for Duke. I just think people would have said Pippen was stupid if he would have wanted to leave Jordan to be the man
Different people have different goals and personalities.

Reactions: skysdad
I can't get mad at Kyrie for bolting. He just made a preemptive strike before James possibly bolted again...having did so twice already in his career. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

OFC

I just don't understand why he didn't wait until next summer when LeBron does leave. Could have made one more run at a championship with the Cavs.

I just don't understand why he didn't wait until next summer when LeBron does leave. Could have made one more run at a championship with the Cavs.

I do think they could have made one more run KP. I think the other poster Mac was implying basically the same thing. Would loved to have seen 'em together one more time vs GSW for all marbles. I just think Kyrie wanted to run his own show, but think one more Cleveland run next yr was his best chance at another ring...OFC

1. The cavs will make 1 more big move before the season
2. Win win for both teams especially the cavs! This was huge!! And couldn't have been any better.
3. I think kyrie has proven he can be that guy to lead a team. Well worth the (picks) which are never a guarantee especially win the picks thereself arnt even a guarantee!! Lmao. Whoever said kyrie is selfish is delusional. nuff said. Go celtics , Goodluck kyrie, boo Lebron, warrriors win again,

I'm not seeing what most of you are seeing here. Kyrie's a truly gifted player, but wants to be the man, is that right? Am I wrong to assume he doesn't want to be Lebrons little brother anymore? Someone has to be the sidekick. I'm seeing a selfish player, and I don't care that he played for Duke.
Most of the great ones had a sidekick.
I realize it's a business, but it looks like to me that he's putting his self over winning. I know Boston is trying to load up, but Lebron may have something to say about that.
Wow ur something

Doing it now, Kyrie knows where he is going. If he waits a year, it's not quite as clear...we don't know how he was treated behind the scenes. We don't know what his relationship with Lebron is. In my opinion, Kyrie has done nothing selfish, he has not disrespected anyone, he is a Dukie joining a Dukie.....I support his decision and hope Boston wins it all....and I am not a Boston fan, I'm a Hawks fan. Kyrie and Tatum didn't get to cut a net at Duke. I hope they cut one in Boston. Go Duke...Go FORMER Dukies.....am I being biased to guys who chose Duke and gave all they had?.....bet your @ss I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
It's possible he'll be watching from the sideline? Lots of miles on those tires and he'll be depending on IT to carry some of the load. If healthy, the Cavs should be fine.

Good point Double D.....I simply think some intangibles James possesses will be too much for Boston to overcome if they meet in the Eastern finals. He'll want to show KI he can win w/o him, and hes still smarting from the way the season ended.Hes tired of the smack he's hearing-just a hunch....

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spor...ract-news-analysis/1v3ronql9f5bf100v2u07o8jo8

OFC

Reactions: DukeDenver
Looks like Cleveland did Boston dirty.

They wanted Tatum and couldn't get him so they make the trade public, ensuring Thomas and Crowder are pissed, and now ask for more?

Zero chance this wasn't all planned out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT