ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Capel’s response

Pittsburgh is a year or 2 away from being an annual top 25 team. Capel has some dudes, they are young and they are very athletic.

I still wouldn’t rule out Capel’s chances of being the next Duke coach. Not saying he’s the favorite, but he’s up there.

Pittsburgh is a year or 2 away from being an annual top 25 team. Capel has some dudes, they are young and they are very athletic.

I still wouldn’t rule out Capel’s chances of being the next Duke coach. Not saying he’s the favorite, but he’s up there.

He’s my favorite to replace K and I haven’t changed my stance since 2016.

Reactions: Tlass
That doesn't surprise me, Jeff is a standup kind of guy, sorta like his former coach. And the Duke Blue Devils could do a helluva lot worse than making this man our next head coach (if he wants it) after K steps down.

OFC

You think we should start a thread and talk about this? Kind of get everyone’s thoughts on who it should be?

K is very, very loyal. He interpreted the Crazies wrong and has apologized for it. Had the Crazies been saying something they shouldn't have and he doesn't call them out he looks like the bad guy. Really a no-win situation.

I think seeing Capel's reaction and him sticking up for HIS coach should put to rest any negative thoughts.

As much as we hate it Coach K is gonna retire some day and we have to deal with it. I think a thread about a new coach is appropiate. OFC

I don’t know man......it may be too early? Maybe if he isn’t thinking about it, and reads this board, we put the idea in his head? Who knows, maybe he will give the NBA a shot?
Or, he may get fired for the tantrum he threw last night l, because if you read the internet, it was horrible and had given all of college basketball a black eye.

I’m just a measly Jv high school coach, but I for one loved Coach K standing up for his former player.... he misunderstood/didn’t hear what was being said but shows what being in the Duke brotherhood is all about by remaining loyal for his players and coaches... he apologized when he realized he was wrong and saw somewhere earlier he had a private meeting with tenters/crazies today to apologize in person...

Nothing would please me more than Capel becoming Dukes next head coach. The guy is a class act, he clearly is personable and is able to recruit at a high level. And the job he is doing at Pitt, the former bottom feeder of the ACC, is elevating his coaching talents. In my mind he checks all the boxes of the next great coach.

Reactions: Quavarius
As much as we hate it Coach K is gonna retire some day and we have to deal with it. I think a thread about a new coach is appropiate. OFC

NOOOO! Once the lid on that topic is finally opened it can’t be undone. It will consume this board and lead to unending debate. We’ve done well to avoid the topic until now. Just let it be a little while longer.

Really was impressed with Pitts D, ability to fight back, ability to hang with a much deeper team through such a total dog fight, and overall performance.

Pitt played super tough and Capel is doing a great job with them

Some of you may not like my opinion but I think it will be J.C.

Some of you may not like my opinion but I think it will be J.C.

I think if Jeff wants the job it's his. But what if he really builds a really good program and makes Pitt into a national contender in a couple of years or so? I believe that Jeff will jump at the chance to come home to Duke and coach his alma mater. There are things to be considered. Following the GOAT will we as Duke fans be fair to him? I do remember we were a little tough on him when he took over for Coach K when his missed those games a few years back. Are we gonna judge whoever our next coach is on the standard Coach K has set. If so we are gonna be a whiney fan base.It's gonna be hard to fill those shoes. To be realistic those shoes can't be filled. I do believe he is capable of being our next coach. If he is we just need to let him coach. Also if he has the Panthers in the final four and loses and is ask about the Duke job saying " I don't give a $#@% about Duke.It's something to think about though. If not Jeff then who. The coach I would want is one whose gona be a buffer like guthridge or a second choice like doherty. I want a coach who will be stable and being at Duke for a long time. Also how will it effect our fan base when Coach K retires ? Just some thoughts from an old Duke fan whose has seen a lotbof ups and downs in his years as a Duke fan. Thoughts from the board. OFC

A lot depends on timing. If Coach K sticks around for another 5 years as we all hope, then maybe Scheyer will be ready. One or two years, it will be one of the present head coaches somewhere else. And Capel is the most experienced and doing the best right now.

However we said that about Wojo 2 years ago, before that Collins, and occasionally Hurley, none of whom has shown a steady rise in their program's success.

Reactions: skysdad
A lot depends on timing. If Coach K sticks around for another 5 years as we all hope, then maybe Scheyer will be ready. One or two years, it will be one of the present head coaches somewhere else. And Capel is the most experienced and doing the best right now.

However we said that about Wojo 2 years ago, before that Collins, and occasionally Hurley, none of whom has shown a steady rise in their program's success.

Good points. We will just have to wait it out. We really need to start discussing this. I don't know why we haven't had a thread or at least some discussion. Are we burying our heads in the sand on this? I wonder if those in the know at Duke have even thought about it? OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Crazies should apologize for being so bad this year. They have reminded me of the lame old people that sit close in rupp arena. They need to step their game up and bring some fear to the opposing team!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT