ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs UNC

It’s such a great feeling to beat them.

Great team win. Everyone contributed in different ways. This team has potential come tourney time. They continue to improve.

Aside from all the great contributors (Lively and Roach were such huge difference makers), I think Proctor and Filipowski are going to be really good at the next level. Proctor should be a high school guard and he’s playing with the poise of an upperclassman. So good with the ball. Still a lot to learn. But man …

And Flip! Tough. Not on his game. But he can score from anywhere. Give him two years with a good shooting coach and post game coach and he will be tough!

We may not be title contenders but love how this team is maturing.

Last edited:
Austin alum watch party was at The Pub tonight - awesome atmosphere, place was packed with Duke fans. Wasn't a pretty game but when it's UNC, who cares, as long as we get the W.

Can't remember the last time we've had a team where my expectations are so low for the post-season. Rare under K. But now that I've accepted it with this team, I'm enjoying watching these guys as much as I ever have. So happy to see Lively play with joy. And Jeremy coming through clutch. And Flip getting pounded but kept getting up.

One of my favorite Duke memories.

I had Coor's Light and Hebrew National hot dogs. I woke up in the middle of the night with horrible acid reflux. I also had spicy mustard and Cool Ranch Doritos.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
The next two games will tell a lot as well. At Miami and Virginia. Just like we overreact to losses, we can also overreact to wins. This was a big win over a rival who has got the better of us recently. But they are also a middling bubble team who has really struggled this year. So while a great win, it does not mean we have arrived. If we win the next two, that is a different story. Even a split would make 4 out of 5 wins.

The next two games will tell a lot as well. At Miami and Virginia. Just like we overreact to losses, we can also overreact to wins. This was a big win over a rival who has got the better of us recently. But they are also a middling bubble team who has really struggled this year. So while a great win, it does not mean we have arrived. If we win the next two, that is a different story. Even a split would make 4 out of 5 wins.
Not gonna lie and hope I'm dead wrong but I have a feeling if we lose, it'll be against Miami. Just so hard to have such an emotional high after winning against a rival then play 2 days later. Please let me be wrong.

Roach played with a chip on his shoulder. Good for him.
Chris exactly!! By far his best performance in a Duke-UNC game, and one of his best ever in a Duke uniform. I am so THANKFUL for this win.

This game ultimately cane down to HEART, and who WANTED IT MORE. I woefully underestimated us in my prediction. For a group of mostly freshmen to take the fight to a group of "old" talented dudes like this????!!!! It was amazing to watch. I am somewhat hungover today, but damn!!!! It was worth it.

Jon Scheyer I take a bow to you sir for your coaching job. Been a tough week for the Cheaters: Back to back losses to K's coaching tree!!!! I love it, and I love my Blue Devils!!!!! OFC

Not gonna lie and hope I'm dead wrong but I have a feeling if we lose, it'll be against Miami. Just so hard to have such an emotional high after winning against a rival then play 2 days later. Please let me be wrong.
Only I agree, the one thing which could help us is Miami is somewhat in the same boat. I watched the end of their win at Clemson, and that was an emotional, tough nail biter!!

I am hoping the 'CANES are still riding on a high too, so much so they come out flat. Regardless, it will be tough- we just nipped them in Cameron. However, like you I am sure, I wouldn't trade this feeling of ecstasy now for anything!!! #GTHCGTH

OFC

Klondike bars for everyone!
Huge win for our young team. Roach really led us, and Lively was a defensive force. Congrats Jon. Huge win. We really, really needed this. Great job team!!!!
I'm just glad you watched the game. You didn't want the last 2 and we lost, you watch this one and we win. I think you know where I'm going with this. :)

No heartburn, Chris! I slept like a bear in deep hibernation last night. I woke up feeling refreshed and excited to go to work with all the tarhole fans who will avoid me like the plague today. I never say anything after a win; I just smile.
bleed as you say just smile, the silence hurts them even worse I really believe!!! OFC

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
It was a strange game, and the opposite of what happened in the final four. They had several open looks from 3 that they missed in the last minutes. The pressure seemed to be on them not us. It was nice to see Roach wanting the big moment and thriving. It was also nice to see us execute down the stretch. I think by complaining about the refs Davis was setting the groundwork for the next game. They will get more calls next time.

They might need that win in our second game to get in the tournament. Conversely, we can knock them out. Listening to the Eagle's Long Run. It's become one of my favorites.

Reactions: pisgah101
Nice to see Lively balling out. Now I see the upside everyone was talking about. I understand upside and potential when it comes to the NBA, but you have to show it a little. Keels did, AJ did, enough to get drafted. If Lively had gone the whole season with 2 point, 2 rebound games, he would not have gone in the first round. Great to see his hard work pay off. That was an elite block at the end of the game. My only question going forward is can Whitehead be a role player for us? Can he be effective coming off the bench for 10 minutes a game? I think our starting 5 of Roach Proctor Mitchell Flip Lively is set.

Last edited:
Chris, I definitely think Whitehead can fill that “Super 6 man” role this team still needs. Duke has had some solid ball players fill that role such as Seth Curry (2010-2011 season), Amile Jefferson (2014-2015 season), Grayson Allen (2016-2017 season).

Whitehead will still have an important role on this team. He is a bucket getter, one of Duke’s better 3 point shooters, and a pretty good defender. Also, need him and Blakes to give Roach and Proctor some rest.

It was a strange game, and the opposite of what happened in the final four. They had several open looks from 3 that they missed in the last minutes. The pressure seemed to be on them not us. It was nice to see Roach wanting the big moment and thriving. It was also nice to see us execute down the stretch. I think by complaining about the refs Davis was setting the groundwork for the next game. They will get more calls next time.
He was real happy with free throw disparity against State and Syracuse. Not so much against you guys .#shoeontheotherfoot

Reactions: christophero
Guys, they're all gonna be tough for this Duke squad lol. This team isn't exactly bringing back memories of the Battier era you know, the days where it's half-time and Duke's up 30 on an ACC opponent and you're wondering what's for dinner. These days you don't get to think of dinner until the final game horn sounds at 00.00 LOL.

But that's also exciting as there's something to be said for being able to make winning plays and finish out close games. Proud of the guys for bringing a fighting mindset to the affair. Amazing how the rivalry flips back and forth at needed times for the fans. lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT