ADVERTISEMENT

Jaemyn Transferring

Everyone else back plus Baldwin and Keels. Although if we land Baldwin someone probably leaves. Hurt back would be the best outcome.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I was a bit surprised when Brakefield committed. If memory serves we were already well stocked at forward. Do we over recruit like in football? Maybe recruit one extra guy in case this happens? There is probably a plan for this.Schools like Notre Dame do this with QBs, and one or two always transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession3
I was a bit surprised when Brakefield committed. If memory serves we were already well stocked at forward. Do we over recruit like in football? Maybe recruit one extra guy in case this happens? There is probably a plan for this.Schools like Notre Dame do this with QBs, and one or two always transfer.

Me too, but I think he and Jalen were real close (IIRC) which is why it didn’t surprise me to see him leave.

Maybe but maybe not that wrong. Brakefield could develop into a first round pick by next year just like the other 2. Admittedly late first round; but we're talking about production. And Johnson and Cam were two recent top 10 ish recruits who struggled a bit. Brakefield could really figure it out next year, unfortunately not for us. Him being ahead of Griffin by next year is possible. Griffin looks very physical but kind of raw to me. Still a one and done talent for sure.

Gotta remember not all freshmen are created the same. 2021 shouldn’t be an indication on how our future freshmen will play. Not all recruiting classes are the same. Next years recruit are on par with Zion/RJ in terms of being able to adjust to the physicality of college basketball. Roach and Steward were not. But remember, there were also some people who doubted Zion before he came to Duke.

E="Quavarius, post: 11451975, member: 1506"]
Gotta remember not all freshmen are created the same. 2021 shouldn’t be an indication on how our future freshmen will play. Not all recruiting classes are the same. Next years recruit are on par with Zion/RJ in terms of being able to adjust to the physicality of college basketball. Roach and Steward were not. But remember, there were also some people who doubted Zion before he came to Duke.

I remember those remarks about Zion especially the fat boy pnes. I have been within 3 feet of him and he is no where being close to fat. The shoulders on him were so thick and broad. Now I will admit that he exceeded all my expectations once he got to Duke. I guess the main reason was his highlight vids. The ones I saw was just dunks and blocks which were impressive but once he got to Duke and I saw his agility and ball handling skills I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. I've seen him right much woth the Pelicans and the only person in the NBA that can stop him is him. If he ever developes a mid range jumper and he will then it's gonna be total domination. He is already improving his free throw shooting. He stays out of foul trouble. His motor is getting stronger and stronger. It's gonna be interesting to see how much he is gonna sign for when he becomes a free agent. Oh did I mention what a great attitude and disposition he has. Never been a player like him that I can remember. OFC[/QUOTE]

What I like about next year's team is we will be balanced. Assuming Hurt leaves and Keels comes that gives us Williams at the 5, Banchero at the 4, Griffin at the 3, and the 2 soph. guards. Keels and Moore and Coleman and Baker off the bench. That is a pretty good team with a nice mix of youth and experience. We could even put Moore at the 2.

Last edited:
What I like about next year's team is we will be balanced. Assuming Hurt leaves and Keels comes that gives us Williams at the 5, Banchero at the 4, Griffin at the 3, and the 2 soph. guards. Keels and Moore and Coleman and Baker off the bench. That is a pretty good team with a nice mix of youth and experience. We could even put Moore at the 2.

Good post. You have a lot of good post. One of my favorite posters with DI. OFC

I'm bored so I'm watching the Duke West Virginia Final Four game of 2010. That team was just so smart. Really good defensive team. 3 seniors and 2 juniors. And the Plumlee Brothers. And Singler and Scheyer and Smith. That team could have gone toe to toe with any of our teams. Scheyer was such an intelligent, efficient player.

Last edited:
Frustrating to constantly see transfers. K needs to give a better vision and help these guys develop faster. I suspect he saw the writing on the wall that the two freshmen would start and get 30 mpg. I'd have liked to see Brakefield get a lot more PT - he always seemed solid when he came in but 12 mpg is just not a lot. How unfortunate.

But, when you tend to limit bench minutes and you recruit a lot of OADs, this is what happens. Hurt's the program.

You really need veterans who play a lot to win at the CBB level. Look at the teams that are in the tourney. Not a lot of OAD heavy teams in any way.

I just don't get the philosophy. Duke with K will always be in the national spotlight, but I don't see them winning anything major until they keep non OAD players who get increasing minutes and develop.

Frustrating to constantly see transfers. K needs to give a better vision and help these guys develop faster. I suspect he saw the writing on the wall that the two freshmen would start and get 30 mpg. I'd have liked to see Brakefield get a lot more PT - he always seemed solid when he came in but 12 mpg is just not a lot. How unfortunate.

But, when you tend to limit bench minutes and you recruit a lot of OADs, this is what happens. Hurt's the program.

You really need veterans who play a lot to win at the CBB level. Look at the teams that are in the tourney. Not a lot of OAD heavy teams in any way.

I just don't get the philosophy. Duke with K will always be in the national spotlight, but I don't see them winning anything major until they keep non OAD players who get increasing minutes and develop.
As far as K not developing players, Mark Williams says hi. And while Hurt did a lot of his work by himself, you don’t think K helped him figure out what he needed to do better and how to get there.

Also, to contend that the relative few one-and-dones in this tournament is representative of anything is a bit misleading. The 2020 class was widely considered weak in comparison to the other classes around it (like next year's). The bulk of the very best OADs that matriculated to college - Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley, Scottie Barnes, Jalen Suggs - helped their teams win multiple NCAA Tournament games.

E="Quavarius, post: 11451975, member: 1506"]

I remember those remarks about Zion especially the fat boy pnes. I have been within 3 feet of him and he is no where being close to fat. The shoulders on him were so thick and broad. Now I will admit that he exceeded all my expectations once he got to Duke. I guess the main reason was his highlight vids. The ones I saw was just dunks and blocks which were impressive but once he got to Duke and I saw his agility and ball handling skills I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. I've seen him right much woth the Pelicans and the only person in the NBA that can stop him is him. If he ever developes a mid range jumper and he will then it's gonna be total domination. He is already improving his free throw shooting. He stays out of foul trouble. His motor is getting stronger and stronger. It's gonna be interesting to see how much he is gonna sign for when he becomes a free agent. Oh did I mention what a great attitude and disposition he has. Never been a player like him that I can remember. OFC
[/QUOTE]
Zion is phenomenal basketball player and a seemingly better dude. Also, in a league where it feels that every player plays the exact same style as everyone else at their position he brings a style that is totally unique to him alone. Like Jordan or Shaq.

I'm bored so I'm watching the Duke West Virginia Final Four game of 2010. That team was just so smart. Really good defensive team. 3 seniors and 2 juniors. And the Plumlee Brothers. And Singler and Scheyer and Smith. That team could have gone toe to toe with any of our teams. Scheyer was such an intelligent, efficient player.
Didn’t we play Baylor that year? What round was that?

Reactions: christophero
As far as K not developing players, Mark Williams says hi. And while Hurt did a lot of his work by himself, you don’t think K helped him figure out what he needed to do better and how to get there.
I cringe each and every time I read that message board "says hi" standard - just too cute for me.

While Williams came on strongly against modest competition, I'm going to allow for a larger sample before closing the books on Williams. Does K develop players along the lines of Rick Pitino? Not even close. But certainly many players have improved greatly over his 40 years at Duke.

I cringe each and every time I read that message board "says hi" standard - just too cute for me.

While Williams came on strongly against modest competition, I'm going to allow for a larger sample before closing the books on Williams. Does K develop players along the lines of Rick Pitino? Not even close. But certainly many players have improved greatly over his 40 years at Duke.
Thanks for letting me know. I will try to keep your sensibilities in mind next time I post.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I was just thinking. How long will it take for a lot of us to forget Jaemyn Brakefield? OFC

Reactions: christophero
You forgot about DJ, most expect him back if he does test

Watching the teams left in the tournament tells me our freshman guards have to hit the weights hard this off season. Guards have to be tough, strong and athletic. 175 pounds doesn't cut it.

Keels looks like a bigger guy as do Griffin and Banchero. We should be stronger next year. Hopefully bring in an experienced guard who can shoot and maybe a better inside backup and we'll be fine.

Reactions: DBM0828
Brakefield may want to think this over. AOC is a perfect example of why a player is better off under K's tutelage than gambling on some other team and coach. AOC would have had 3 or 4 times more minutes if he had stayed.

OFC

Yep. I remember how worried was playing Baylor. They were so big and strong (when aren't they?). But somehow we outrebounded them and Nolan put the team on his back. What a great win that was!!
I’m not sure what his stats were lance thomas made a few big plays that game and was the unsung hero at times that year.

Careful. There’s some very sensitive people on here that might not take too kindly to that negative OAD talk.

100% agree though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT