ADVERTISEMENT

IC Thread states UNC will be better than Duke!

Apparently Hansflop is outta the league too. According to his
May see him in the YMCA leagues smacking some high school around. I wonder if hof coach roy williams still has that real nice house he can let pj stay in until he makes it back into the league. ;) OFC

The house that housed em all the way back to Rosenbluth!!! Lmao...oh if those walls could talk!!! Nah they're gettin paid to keep quiet too!!

OFC

Interesting stats for UNC against UNCP: Hicks had 3 fouls in 16 minutes, UNCP was able to haul in 30 offensive rebounds, Meeks and Hicks had 5 rebounds each, while Maye and Bradley led the team with 8 rebounds. Rebounding appears to be a weakness for unc this season. If this continues to happen, UNC will lose a lot of games, unless they can find some success with the 3 ball.

Reactions: atl-heel
Roy whiffs again...on ANOTHER unranked recruit. "Heavy Tarheel Lean" too. Lulz...

Reactions: dbav
They must be loving that all three top ten recruits are not playing. But, will that be the case when Duke plays UNC? I doubt it, I think they can come back and reintegrate into the flow well before those games.

I'm trying to figure out why Atl-Hole would bring this one back. Seriously. We played them once already and beat them. We did win that one didn't we?

I'm trying to figure out why Atl-Hole would bring this one back. Seriously. We played them once already and beat them. We did win that one didn't we?
Show doesn't count because we were lucky to hit our threes that game plus the refs cheated for us.You should know by now that all UNC losses were really blown wins

Heh, we beat them, and they play a shit-ass schedule of games.

Let's see... let's say Duke plays the UNC schedule:

@ GTech W (Duke CRUSHED GTech @ Duke this year)
@ Clemson L (Duke won Clemson @ Duke this year... Let's give it to Clemson at home)
State L (Duke lost to State @ Duke this year)
@ Wake W (Duke won @ Wake this year)
FSU W (Duke lost @ FSU this year, but doubt a sweep; game will happen)
Syracuse W @ Duke (Duke barely lost @ Syracuse, so...)
@bc W (Duke beat BC this year, would likely win @ BC too)
Virginia Tech W (@ Duke, I would expect a Duke win)
@Miami W (Duke won big @ Duke, expecting the same... game will happen)
Pitt W (Duke won @ Duke this year)
Notre Dame W (Duke won @ Notre Dame this year)
@ NC State W (no way State sweeps, sorry... they are terrible)
Virginia W (Duke won @ Virginia this year)
Louisville W (Toss up, but I think we beat them in NC)
@Pitt W (Duke won @ Duke this year by a bit)
@ Virginia W (Duke won @ Virginia this year)

So even if you give Louisville the win @ Duke, or give FSU that win... Duke still goes 13-3. Christ, even assume Duke loses when Louisville visits AND FSU visits... this, for a Duke team that has lost ONE GAME AT HOME ALL YEAR... and it is 12-4.

UNC then plays our schedule:

@ VTech W (Beat them handily @ UNC)
GTech W (Even though GTech beat UNC this year at GTech)
BC W (UNC won this by 8)
@FSU L (UNC won at UNC, wouldn't at FSU)
@ Louisville L (Same as above)
Miami W (Even though UNC lost to Miami @ Miami this year)
State W (State gonna State.)
@Wake W (UNC won by 5 @ Wake this year.)
@Notre Dame L (Barely beat ND in NC)
Pitt W (UNC won by 2 this year.)
Clemson W (Clemson @ UNC gonna Clemson @ UNC)
@Virginia W (Although maybe not... game is in a few days)
Wake W (UNC won by 5 this year @ Wake)
@Syracuse W (UNC beat Syracuse @ UNC this year by 17)
@Miami L (UNC lost by 15 @ Miami this year)
FSU W (UNC beat FSU @ UNC by 13 this year)

So.... maybe 12-4? Although that is giving you wins against two teams that you lost to this year, and assuming an undefeated year at home...

So giving Duke two more losses at home, and we STILL end up 12-4, same as UNC, with the head to head win.

Soooo.... yeah. Take your team that already lost to us and your weak ass schedule and get out of here.

Next thing you know UNC fans will show up here and brag about how their players had super high GPAs for years and years. Waitaminute...

Last edited:
Well, I will say one thing. That schedule thing above is pretty silly and makes little sense.

UNC English degree? Only way I can figure that a simple schedule switch between the two schools and a little projection on the records could "make little sense"...

UNC English degree? Only way I can figure that a simple schedule switch between the two schools and a little projection on the records could "make little sense"...

Dude, the schedule thing is semantics. If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

Just the way it worked out. There were numerous other factors as to why things have turned out the way they have up until this point. Hey, maybe we're actually a pretty good team? Ever think of that?

And duke got hit hard with bad luck this year, UNC couldn't defend the three at Cameron Indoor, if Roosevelt never got polio he never would have become President, etc.

Bottom line, we had some of our tougher games at home, but you still have to win em. No ACC win on the road this year has been easy. Take it for what you will

When you crunch the numbers like this, it does make a difference if your aunt has balls, 34. It's the problem of unbalanced scheduling and you or any other unx fan will not admit it. unx is a good team and that is enhanced when you have a easier schedule than most teams. When it comes to ACC strength of schedule:
Duke has the most difficult schedule for the year, UNC has the 11th.
From a games played standpoint, Duke has the 8th most difficult thus far, and UNC has the 12th hardest.
Remaining schedule, Duke has the most difficult remaining games by far, and UNC has the 9th most difficult remaining games.

Dude, the schedule thing is semantics. If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

Just the way it worked out. There were numerous other factors as to why things have turned out the way they have up until this point. Hey, maybe we're actually a pretty good team? Ever think of that?

And duke got hit hard with bad luck this year, UNC couldn't defend the three at Cameron Indoor, if Roosevelt never got polio he never would have become President, etc.

Bottom line, we had some of our tougher games at home, but you still have to win em. No ACC win on the road this year has been easy. Take it for what you will

Oh no no, I think Carolina is an EXCELLENT team this year. Definitely better than I anticipated, although I expected Carolina to be good. Certainly wouldn't debate that.

But no, the schedule thing is most assuredly not semantics if we want to talk about ACC regular season win-loss records, and if those records accurately reflect the quality of the teams. In fact, the schedule plays a MASSIVE part in those records. Obviously there are a million factors in every game. But yes, the schedule is a huge part of that.

Just look at the win-loss records of teams home vs away:

*UNC hasn't lost a game at home, but has 3 losses overall.
*FSU hasn't lost a game at home, but has 5 losses overall,
*Duke has lost a single game at home, and it was a fluky one, and has 5 losses overall.
*Louisville has lost a single game at home, but has 5 losses overall.
*Notre Dame has lost a single game at home, but has 5 losses overall.
*Miami has lost only two games at home, but has 6 losses overall.

But you are trying to tell me that the fact that Duke plays the top eight other teams in the league away whereas UNC only plays three is just semantics? No. It isn't. Those five additional away games against the best teams in the league is almost assuredly one of, if not THE, major reason that UNC is in first in the league and Duke is in third, with a difference of two games.

UNC is very good. But there is nothing at all that makes me think that UNC is better than Duke.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Oh no no, I think Carolina is an EXCELLENT team this year. Definitely better than I anticipated, although I expected Carolina to be good. Certainly wouldn't debate that.

But no, the schedule thing is most assuredly not semantics if we want to talk about ACC regular season win-loss records, and if those records accurately reflect the quality of the teams. In fact, the schedule plays a MASSIVE part in those records. Obviously there are a million factors in every game. But yes, the schedule is a huge part of that.

Just look at the win-loss records of teams home vs away:

*UNC hasn't lost a game at home, but has 3 losses overall.
*FSU hasn't lost a game at home, but has 5 losses overall,
*Duke has lost a single game at home, and it was a fluky one, and has 5 losses overall.
*Louisville has lost a single game at home, but has 5 losses overall.
*Notre Dame has lost a single game at home, but has 5 losses overall.
*Miami has lost only two games at home, but has 6 losses overall.

But you are trying to tell me that the fact that Duke plays the top eight other teams in the league away whereas UNC only plays three is just semantics? No. It isn't. Those five additional away games against the best teams in the league is almost assuredly one of, if not THE, major reason that UNC is in first in the league and Duke is in third, with a difference of two games.

UNC is very good. But there is nothing at all that makes me think that UNC is better than Duke.
They aren't and we proved it last week.

Reactions: TheDude1
Btw, for some perspective...

UNC has won 100 percent of their ACC games at home.

They've only won 57 percent of their ACC games on the road.

Playing nearly three times as many of the top teams on the road would adversely impact their record.

The schedule does make a difference. UNC is 4-3 on the road in ACC play. Who are those 4 wins against? Wake Forest, Clemson, NC State, Boston College. Those 4 schools have a combined record of 17-45 in conference play (winning percentage of 27.4%). Duke is 3-4 on the road in ACC play. Those 3 schools in Notre Dame, Virginia, and Wake Forest have a combined record of 25-21 in conference (54.3% winning percentage). See the difference? UNC has no quality road wins with the exception of Wake (who is only in 11th place, mind you).

The schedule does make a difference. UNC is 4-3 on the road in ACC play. Who are those 4 wins against? Wake Forest, Clemson, NC State, Boston College. Those 4 schools have a combined record of 17-45 in conference play (winning percentage of 27.4%). Duke is 3-4 on the road in ACC play. Those 3 schools in Notre Dame, Virginia, and Wake Forest have a combined record of 25-21 in conference (54.3% winning percentage). See the difference? UNC has no quality road wins with the exception of Wake (who is only in 11th place, mind you).

I love stats and facts more than anything.

Reactions: dukedevilz
You can try and be as revisionist as you want but it means nothing. You are complaining UNC played all the tough teams at home while complaining UNC is 100% at home. It doesn't make a lot of sense. UNC should have lost a home game by now with the schedule as to the way you are speaking. They have not. Nor can you say definitively what would have happened if games were played elsewhere. Sitting here marking Ls and Ws at imaginary schedules that did not happen and then saying "See I told ya!" Makes little to no sense at all.

It is just revisionist and wishful thinking.

If you think you are better than us then win out, hope we drop 1, and play is for the ACC title for the chance at it.

You can try and be as revisionist as you want but it means nothing. You are complaining UNC played all the tough teams at home while complaining UNC is 100% at home. It doesn't make a lot of sense. UNC should have lost a home game by now with the schedule as to the way you are speaking. They have not. Nor can you say definitively what would have happened if games were played elsewhere. Sitting here marking Ls and Ws at imaginary schedules that did not happen and then saying "See I told ya!" Makes little to no sense at all.

It is just revisionist and wishful thinking.

If you think you are better than us then win out, hope we drop 1, and play is for the ACC title for the chance at it.

I don't think you are understanding what revisionist means. I am not questioning any facts or anything here, like "Oh, well, UNC didn't *really* win these games." Sure they did. Outcomes are outcomes.

I also do not think you are understanding what wishful thinking means. I am not saying I wish we had traded schedules or anything. Sure, a few more wins for Duke and a few more losses for UNC would be enjoyable, but at no point was I talking about that.

What I am saying is that the unbalanced schedule makes the teams' relative ACC records relatively meaningless in determining the actual quality of the teams, and also that the disparity in the scheduling is the primary cause of the current ACC standings.

And no, UNC should NOT have lost a game at home. ACC teams win at home, a lot, and the better teams win almost every game at home. That's what I posted.

Lemme try, in simpler form:

* Good ACC teams generally win a LOT at home.

* UNC has not played many good ACC teams at THEIR home, therefore has had a lot fewer chances to lose.

* Duke has played every good ACC team at THEIR home, therefore has had a lot more chances to lose.

So, in comparing UNC and Duke, we can see how their records were impacted by this pretty significant difference.

Can't make it any clearer.

I don't think you are understanding what revisionist means. I am not questioning any facts or anything here, like "Oh, well, UNC didn't *really* win these games." Sure they did. Outcomes are outcomes.

I also do not think you are understanding what wishful thinking means. I am not saying I wish we had traded schedules or anything. Sure, a few more wins for Duke and a few more losses for UNC would be enjoyable, but at no point was I talking about that.

What I am saying is that the unbalanced schedule makes the teams' relative ACC records relatively meaningless in determining the actual quality of the teams, and also that the disparity in the scheduling is the primary cause of the current ACC standings.

And no, UNC should NOT have lost a game at home. ACC teams win at home, a lot, and the better teams win almost every game at home. That's what I posted.

Lemme try, in simpler form:

* Good ACC teams generally win a LOT at home.

* UNC has not played many good ACC teams at THEIR home, therefore has had a lot fewer chances to lose.

* Duke has played every good ACC team at THEIR home, therefore has had a lot more chances to lose.

So, in comparing UNC and Duke, we can see how their records were impacted by this pretty significant difference.

Can't make it any clearer.
Trust me. I see exactly what you are saying. You are biasedly putting up results you would think would happen to tailor to your narrative.

How many points is Home vs away worth? How many? 8?

Duke still loses to VT if flipped.
Duke still beats GT and BC
Duke still loses to FSU and UL
Duke still beats Miami and Still loses to NC State
Duke still beats WF and still beats Notre Dame
Duke now ties Pitt and UNC
Duke now loses to WF and Clemson but still beats Virginia.
Duke now beats Syracuse.

So am I expected to believe Duke in this revisionist history loses 2 games they won due to changed venues, win 1 game they lost, and would tie 2 games they won?

So by just flipping dukes home and away Duke is 7-6-2 in league play?

It is just a dumb argument, just as it is dumb to argue that UNC would have lost certain games certain places and so on. It never happened and you are reaching for what you think will happen out of your bias.

Trust me. I see exactly what you are saying. You are biasedly putting up results you would think would happen to tailor to your narrative.

Duke now beats Syracuse.

So am I expected to believe Duke in this revisionist history loses 2 games they won due to changed venues, win 1 game they lost, and would tie 2 games they won?

It is just a dumb argument, just as it is dumb to argue that UNC would have lost certain games certain places and so on. It never happened and you are reaching for what you think will happen out of your bias.
Vegas says home team is worth 3.

Question? Does unc beat us if you had Hicks? Since we are all playing the what if game.

cheater_zpsbxgvziuz.jpg

Vegas says home team is worth 3.

Question? Does unc beat us if you had Hicks? Since we are all playing the what if game.
No, because hicks averages 12 per game. Maye scored 8. We won by 8. Subtract Mayes pts from hicks and we still win by 4.

Duke now beats Syracuse.

The unbalanced schedule makes the teams' relative ACC records relatively meaningless in determining the actual quality of the teams, and also the disparity in the scheduling is the primary cause of the current ACC standings.

The unbalanced schedule makes the teams' relative ACC records relatively meaningless in determining the actual quality of the teams, and also the disparity in the scheduling is the primary cause of the current ACC standings.

I am right.

Judging by the length of this thread and the amount of carolina talk on this board in general, Id say theres a lot that apparently do care.

Oh, chalk me up as someone who cares. But in the same way that I care bank robbers get caught, not in the way that I believe bank robbers are suddenly, legitimately rich.

Theres no doubt the unbalanced schedule sucks, but, if you look at the regular season champion over the last several years its actually been pretty close to accurate for as who ends up being the best team. I say close because there are obvious exceptions, but usually the best teams do find their way into the top 4 regardless of their schedules.

LOL! Here's a lil tidbit for you to argue. We can still sweep UNC this year. UNC cannot sweep us. :rolleyes:

Reactions: topps coach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT