ADVERTISEMENT

IC Thread states UNC will be better than Duke!

Starting 5 MickeyD's they say. Don't seem to be too deep though and really need to make more of their first shots rather than rely on offensive rebounding.

Starting 5 MickeyD's they say. Don't seem to be too deep though and really need to make more of their first shots rather than rely on offensive rebounding.

Losing Paige and Johnson is huge! I don't see UNC being able to out rebound teams like they did last season and we all know that's their formula for offense. Hicks will have trouble staying out of foul trouble and I don't see Meeks being able to carry the load. IMO, this team has similarities to the 2010 UNC team. I'm predicting 11 or 12 losses for the tarholes.

Reactions: atl-heel
Anything's possible I suppose but I just don't see it. They weren't that much better than Duke LAST year and unx didn't come close to replacing what they lost. And let's talk about the elephant in the room. Their highest-rated players ( outta high school ) are , well , STILL IN SCHOOL! Just as Paige and Johnson were , so is Jackson , Berry and Pinson. THAT , my fellow Blue Devils , is what's taking its toll on Roy's recruiting moreso than even the scandal but I digress. Last year was their shot. All the highly-ranked upper classmen from other schools were earning NBA paychecks while good ol' Roy had his Mickey D'ers undeveloped and playing for HIM. They were , in fact , loaded. That diminishes for the upcoming season and unless he gets it turned around the immediate future looks even worse. The squad they have next year is demonstrably inferior to last season's and Duke , meanwhile , looks pretty damn good. Keep in mind , these are the same folks who once said Meeks would kill Oakofor and Berry would dominate Tyus. Regardless , Roy's not signing the same quality of recruits that he once did. Again , he could turn it around but he hasn't for the immediate future. Next season , I don't think it unreasonable to expect them to take a step back given what they lost and what they return and have entering. Formidable , sure. But FF-bound? 2018 will be where it REALLY gets interesting. Roy's supplanting Mickey D'ers with 2 and 3 star kids. I could be wrong but I still believe last year was their best chance. No other so-called "blue-blood" school still had their highly-ranked quality players that Roy had and unx damn-near won it...as they should have. But this season? I dunno...

who are these supposed "2 and 3 stars" in 2018 unc is replacing mickey ders with? would love to hear this.

who are these supposed "2 and 3 stars" in 2018 unc is replacing mickey ders with? would love to hear this.

Platek is committed and Roy is in hot pursuit of Garrison Brooks, Isiah Stokes, and Brandon Huffman.These are 3 star big men. Unless Roy lands Bamba and PJ Washington, unc will have a frontcourt of 3 star recruits and Luke Maye. Obviously, Roy will figure out a way to keep Bradley in school, so they will have one fringe 5 star recruit anchoring their frontcourt. Things aren't looking great for the tarholes and I believe last season was Roys last chance at a national title in his final years at UNC. Roy's recipe for winning a national title is simple, keep 4 or 5 top 10 HS recruits until their junior or senior year. Look at the two titles he won, they consisted of 4 or 5 top 10 HS recruits staying until their Junior and Senior years in college.

Last edited:

They will not be 2 and 3 star recruits long after they commit to unc. They suddenly become 5 star recruits to all the basketball recruiting gurus over at thr. Do we know you under another name butterbutt44 by any chance ? If so just come out and stand up. You'll get a fair shot at posting here. OFC

Reactions: KellenPatrick
I think we will be better. But UNC will be pretty good too.

They are 10 deep in unc's system. They have plenty of young talent to go along with experience which is how most national championships are won. We have that this year also. The coach will make the difference. OFC

They will not be 2 and 3 star recruits long after they commit to unc. They suddenly become 5 star recruits to all the basketball recruiting gurus over at thr. Do we know you under another name butterbutt44 by any chance ? If so just come out and stand up. You'll get a fair shot at posting here. OFC

No sir I come in peace. Im a heel fan yes and just signed up over at THR but have followed both boards for awhile, and ednjoy reading your board too for recruiting and when the teams play each other. love the rivalry. I know UNC has signed Black and white for 2018 who as of now as far as I know are both top 30 kids, far from 2 or 3 stars. So I was just asking an honest question to see if the poster knew something I didn't.

UNC is going to be one of those teams that stays top 15 all year, peaks in mid-January and loses 2nd round of the NCAAT. 

It's fine if they think UNC is better, their team returns some core pieces (Berry, Jackson, Hicks, Meeks). Duke will have the best player on the floor at every position except PG. Not to mention, Duke will be much more athletic, faster and deeper.

No sir I come in peace. Im a heel fan yes and just signed up over at THR but have followed both boards for awhile, and ednjoy reading your board too for recruiting and when the teams play each other. love the rivalry. I know UNC has signed Black and white for 2018 who as of now as far as I know are both top 30 kids, far from 2 or 3 stars. So I was just asking an honest question to see if the poster knew something I didn't.

You should have the privilege of posting here until you prove other wise but in the past there have been so many who use " I come in peace " and the first few post are similar to yours who slowly but surely show the true colors of thr but until them feel free to post in a civil and respectful manner and you will be treated with respect. I'm not a mod and should not be one by no means because I would be known as the " banner " but I expect guest to act like guest. With that said I hope your stay here is long and pleasant. It would be nice to have a thr poster here who can be cordial. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
We have an answer to every UNC weapon. I think we'll prove who is better in the first 10 minutes.

Word out is kennedy meeks now is spry and plays above the rim. Not sure we have an answer to a senior who plays like that. we may just have to concentrate on stopping everyone else and let him get what he's gonna get any way. OFC

I don't think the combined rebounds or point averages of Hicks and Meeks will equal that of Brice Johnson. Johnson had but a few ineffective games last season and both Meeks and Hicks are capable of playing sub par.
If UNCheats had a starting line up of midgets many of their fans would still say they liked their chances in reaching another final four. Those special cheats fans, and we all know who they are will always say the heels are some of the best players in all of basketball. At some point even the biggest UNcheat homers need to be more realistic.

I don't think the combined rebounds or point averages of Hicks and Meeks will equal that of Brice Johnson. Johnson had but a few ineffective games last season and both Meeks and Hicks are capable of playing sub par.
If UNCheats had a starting line up of midgets many of their fans would still say they liked their chances in reaching another final four. Those special cheats fans, and we all know who they are will always say the heels are some of the best players in all of basketball. At some point even the biggest UNcheat homers need to be more realistic.

Realistically, unc should have a really good team, however, Roy is their coach.

Platek is committed and Roy is in hot pursuit of Garrison Brooks, Isiah Stokes, and Brandon Huffman.These are 3 star big men. Unless Roy lands Bamba and PJ Washington, unc will have a frontcourt of 3 star recruits and Luke Maye. Obviously, Roy will figure out a way to keep Bradley in school, so they will have one fringe 5 star recruit anchoring their frontcourt.

That's part of it right there.^^^ And keep something in mind....Roy doesn't find diamonds in the rough. Nor does he coach 'em up either. All coaches want elite talent but Roy...moreso than anyone...HAS to have it. Look at his record. Kids ranked that low just do not contribute for him. That's why "recruiting" was always looked at as a strong point for him. Lately , he hasn't been signing the same quality of player. Simple as that. He's presently got what? 2 5*'s & some 3 & 4's? And keep in mind the most critical element...as of this moment he's MISSING on the elites. Wilkes , Tilmon , Weatherspoon , Randolph...whiffed on all of 'em.

I know UNC has signed Black and white for 2018 who as of now as far as I know are both top 30 kids,

No. No they're not. Rivals has Black at 39 and White at 69. TOS has Black at 57 and White at 68. Those were the only 2 services I checked though. Your welcome to try another. Point remains. Neither are "Top 30" kids. Opinions varying wildly on Black it appears but White is nowhere near Top 30 according to either. So , yeah. I DO know something that you don't. Ya really wanna say that Roy's recruiting at the same level he was? Really?

Last edited:
That's part of it right there.^^^ And keep something in mind....Roy doesn't find diamonds in the rough. Nor does he coach 'em up either. All coaches want elite talent but Roy...moreso than anyone...HAS to have it. Look at his record. Kids ranked that low just do not contribute for him. That's why "recruiting" was always looked at as a strong point for him. Lately , he hasn't been signing the same quality of player. Simple as that. He's presently got what? 2 5*'s & some 3 & 4's? And keep in mind the most critical element...as of this moment he's MISSING on the elites. Wilkes , Tilmon , Weatherspoon , Randolph...whiffed on all of 'em.

I know UNC has signed Black and white for 2018 who as of now as far as I know are both top 30 kids,

No. No they're not. Rivals has Black at 39 and White at 69. TOS has Black at 57 and White at 68. Those were the only 2 services I checked though. Your welcome to try another. Point remains. Neither are "Top 30" kids. Opinions varying wildly on Black it appears but White is nowhere near Top 30 according to either. So , yeah. I DO know something that you don't. Ya really wanna say that Roy's recruiting at the same level he was? Really?

You have to base things off history and history has it that Roy has to have between 3-5 top 10 HS recruits stay 3 to 4 years for him to win a title. IMO, Last year was Hucks last year to win a title. I just don't see him recovering recruiting wise and staying long enough to win another title.

UNC has a favorable conference schedule. I believe they play Louisville, Virginia and Syracuse only one time each....and all at home. IMO, they finish second in conference play behind us.

I agree they're not as good this season as they were last year, but I also wouldn't sleep on the trio of Berry, Jackson and Hicks. That's a veteran core that's been in some serious battles.

Where I think the Heels could run into issues is with their depth, or lack thereof. Roy likes to plays nine and 10 guys pretty consistently....and while he'll have the option to do so again I'm not sure it's the kind of "quality" he's used to. I see a pretty big drop off after their first six or maybe seven rotation guys.

UNC plays UVA twice next season. So hopefully between us and UVA, they get four losses. They do get GT, BC, and Wake on the road, which is certainly preferable for them.

Even if youre correct those are hardly 2 and 3 stars as you quoted. I saw on espn black was 30th right now and white was 22nd. That's a long way from a 2 or 3 star recruit. Also have Felton coming in who is a 5 star and are in the thick of the PJ Washington and Knox recruitments. So its jus a patently false comment you made.

As far as who will be better this year I have no idea, but I do know the games will be classics. One game changer for Carolina in my opinion is Pinson, whosbeen hamstrung by injuries so far in his career. If he steps his game up which theres been reports hes taken a huge leap, I think he takes unc to another level. Has the most raw talent on the roster in my view. anyways I know duke is loaded. should be fun

Usually the whiny Tar Holes claim that when a kid commits to Duke they bump their ranking way up but when they commit to them they always lower the kid's ranking. Amazing.

But yes, they do try and rationalize how a kid like Platek is one of those "diamonds in the rough" that only Roy could evaluate and realize his true greatness. All the other coaches were just not good enough to see it. Lol.

Even if youre correct those are hardly 2 and 3 stars as you quoted. I saw on espn black was 30th right now and white was 22nd. That's a long way from a 2 or 3 star recruit. Also have Felton coming in who is a 5 star and are in the thick of the PJ Washington and Knox recruitments. So its jus a patently false comment you made.

As far as who will be better this year I have no idea, but I do know the games will be classics. One game changer for Carolina in my opinion is Pinson, whosbeen hamstrung by injuries so far in his career. If he steps his game up which theres been reports hes taken a huge leap, I think he takes unc to another level. Has the most raw talent on the roster in my view. anyways I know duke is loaded. should be fun

If you guys get even one of Knox or Washington I will take my Fruit of the Looms off and eat them on the spot. Not happening.

The odds of unc landing KNOX and PJ are pretty low. I'm not saying unc can't, but the odds are against them at this point. I predict Knox to Duke and PJ to UK. As far as who will be better this year, Duke has an advantage at every position except PG. I wouldn't be surprised if Duke sweeps UNC and hands them a beat down in one of the meetings. Hicks will probably foul out and force you guys to play Luke Maye more. This season we have the luxury of having a extremely deep and talented frontcourt. Usually, UNC has a deep frontcourt and that's not the case this season.

I think UNC's recruiting is somewhere in the middle of where Duke fans and UNC fans think it is. I'll acknowledge it's not as bad as some Duke fans are making it out to be, but it's not quite where a lot of UNC fans are making it to be, either.

With Pinson we'll just have to play the wait-and-see game. I understand injuries have been a concern, but at the same time he hasn't shown me a lot that says he's going to ever be an All-ACC caliber player. His athleticism makes him an above average defender who can become a very good one, however, his shot and loose dribble are something to keep an eye on from an offensive standpoint. I guess I don't see him ever being much of a weapon on that side of the ball.

And I was speaking off memory when talking about UVA....I'm glad to see the Heels have to travel there too. It was actually Florida State, Notre Dame, Syracuse and Louisville who they only play once and all at home. I'd be quite surprised if UNC doesn't win 12 or 13 ACC games. Say what you want, but if they're able to do that in the nation's toughest conference then they're a pretty good team.

I could be wrong, but this team has a little 2010 vibe to them IMO. Everyone thought they would be a top 5 team, only to lose the final game in the NIT. I'm not saying they will turn out that bad, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. This isn't a reflection of unc having bad players, just a reflection of how Roy does less with more. They're not returning a Brice Johnson or Paige this season. I'm not buying into the hype. Also, I think we land Knox.

Wow. Selective , much? First of all , I AM correct as to the rankings. Is what it is. I DID , however say 2 and 3 *'s. Ok. My bad. Make it 3 and 4 *'s instead. Happy? Let's move on. Felton? He's related to unx alum Raymond and STILL balked at his initial offer due to scandal issues. And , well , he's FAMILY. Roy woulda had to TRY to mess that up. His program's so dirty he nearly did but whatever. Appears unx beat the rap so come on down Jalek. Hang a banner. Being "in the thick of it" is nice. But for Roy , he absolutely HAS to have one if not both. Crowing about it before either has committed??? Ok sure. Whatever makes ya feel better. Finally , ya totally ignored part of my post hence my comment about you being "selective." Roy's striking out with the elites I mentioned. How 'bout the previous class? We didn't even mention that one.Ya kiddin' me? Not a banner recruiting year for Roy given what unx is accustomed to. To surmise , you cherry-picked one comment I made without holding yourself to the same standard with regards to the rankings of White and Black. Of course , holding rivals to a different standard than they hold themselves is the #carolinaway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT