ADVERTISEMENT

IC Thread states UNC will be better than Duke!

On paper you guys have the better overall team. However, I do not think we are so outmatched that we are incapable of beating you.

My prediction at this point, is that you guys will finish 1 or 2 in the ACC, and Carolina 3 or 4. I think we can beat you at home, on the road it'll be damn near impossible. But let's face it, you guys are loaded this year, even if I do despise you at the same time haha. Should make for an interesting season.

As for the recruiting battle, it's a bit uphill. However, I don't think we're out of it by any means for Knox or Washington.

Pretty fair post. I tend to agree. Like a lot of UNC fans did last year, I think some Duke fans are downplaying the Tar Heels this upcoming season. I actually do think we'll win the regular season, but I also think UNC will be #2. With unbalanced conference schedules teams are sometimes afforded a few luxuries....we got that some season's back and it would appear UNC has a little of that going for them this season.

As for head-to-head, like UNC was favored and should have won both last year, I think Duke will be favored both times this season. Whether or not we win both remains to be seen. I reminded Duke fans last week who expect us to roll over you guys....people said the same about UNC over us last year, but if Duke hits a couple jumpshots at Cameron we could have very well swept you. I do believe we'll be the better team, but I don't think it's by as significant of a margin as some would like to think.

I would love for UNC to suck, but it isn't going to happen. They are going to be pretty good. Top 10 to 12 all year.

I could be wrong (I've been wrong before) but this UNC team reminds me of the 2010 UNC team. I wouldn't count out UNC losing 10-12 games this year. Last season they loss 7 games in a weak year of basketball with a solid team and they lose two of their go to guys.College basketball this year is loaded and I think losing Paige/Johnson will hurt more than what people realize. My prediction is UNC will go 25-11 while being swept by the good guys :). Also, I believe we hand them a smack down in Cameron this season.

Reactions: atl-heel
This UNC team doesn't remind me of 2010 at all. That team lacked leaders and unproven players. This team has Berry, Jackson, Hicks and Meeks who have all been vital cogs on teams that played in the Sweet 16 and national championship game.

Now, one could question their depth because they're going to have to have a lot of questions answered. If Bradley, K. Williams and Pinson aren't ready to give them stable minutes or if one of their big three (Berry, Jackson and Hicks) gets hurt then they could have deeper issues. Looking at their schedule, I see 12-6 or 13-5 in the conference.

Reactions: carolinablue34
You say you look at both what we write here and thr. You mention nicknames. Have you even noticed what thr puts up about Coach K (Satan or Hitler ) or Duke players and that's fine. . This is exactly what I mean with thr posters coming over here. You act like you are entitled. It's like this. The camera could scan a section of unc coeds wearing unc gear during a Duke game and a tar heel fan would say how good looking she is. Right beside her is her twin sister wearing Duke gear and the same unc fan would say how ugly she is. But you just proved that you are a tar heel fan, you can't help it. It's your nature. As you make more post little by little you will become like the rest of them. OFC

good analogy:D

On paper you guys have the better overall team. However, I do not think we are so outmatched that we are incapable of beating you.

My prediction at this point, is that you guys will finish 1 or 2 in the ACC, and Carolina 3 or 4. I think we can beat you at home, on the road it'll be damn near impossible. But let's face it, you guys are loaded this year, even if I do despise you at the same time haha. Should make for an interesting season.

As for the recruiting battle, it's a bit uphill. However, I don't think we're out of it by any means for Knox or Washington.

I think this is a very good prediction. I agree with it.

Highly doubt you get either but I notice Knox and PJ are pretty much the only two you guys are pinning your hopes on as far as getting an elite recruit. Ha.

They just got a verbal from Brandon Huffman. OFC

Well goody for them. 3 start on 247. And remember when the Holes always said Roy would never go after a kid from a high school diploma mill like Word of God?? Then when it was found that Roy was recruiting Huffman they said it was OK that Roy was recruiting a kid from a "school" like that because, obviously, things must have really straightened up at WoG as if it hadn't greatly improve Roy would have none of it. Loll.

This UNC team doesn't remind me of 2010 at all. That team lacked leaders and unproven players. This team has Berry, Jackson, Hicks and Meeks who have all been vital cogs on teams that played in the Sweet 16 and national championship game.

Now, one could question their depth because they're going to have to have a lot of questions answered. If Bradley, K. Williams and Pinson aren't ready to give them stable minutes or if one of their big three (Berry, Jackson and Hicks) gets hurt then they could have deeper issues. Looking at their schedule, I see 12-6 or 13-5 in the conference.
I think it's just a role reversal from last year. When Amile went out and even before that, Duke last year had a razor thin margin for error. Conversely, UNC had a lot more depth to work with if things weren't going well or if they sustained an injury. Couple that with the weaker field last year and UNC had its best shot in six years to win it.

This year, we have the depth, pretty much everywhere. Our margin for error is not that small- if one guy is off, another guy can step in right away. UNC on the other hand- while they will be very good and i think top 10 all year, their margin for error is much smaller than ours. The thing they have going for them is that they have one of the best PGs in the country leading their team and it's a PG game.

I expect Duke to win both matchups, but I could easily see a split of home teams winning each. I'd be blown away if we lost both. Duke while yes if we made a few more shots last year at Cameron could have won, but we should have gotten blown out in that game the way we were out rebounded.

Not sure what to think about UNC recruiting. SIgned Huffman. offered Manley, another unranked big. Pj washingtons visit apparently went as good as could be expected but Uk still the perceived leader. Never have seen Roy dip this far down the talent pool for recruits. soe on THR are sort of spinning these signings into a much more positive light than I think is reality. Joel james was the lowest ranked big man I can remember unc signing recently and he was top 60-70 depending upon the service you looked at.

Not sure what to think about UNC recruiting. SIgned Huffman. offered Manley, another unranked big. Pj washingtons visit apparently went as good as could be expected but Uk still the perceived leader. Never have seen Roy dip this far down the talent pool for recruits. soe on THR are sort of spinning these signings into a much more positive light than I think is reality. Joel james was the lowest ranked big man I can remember unc signing recently and he was top 60-70 depending upon the service you looked at.

UNC is getting quality 4-year kind of players that every program needs, it is just unusual to see a bonafide blue blood have such trouble getting the read-to-play studs to go with them. I personally don't think that trend will last at a place like UNC.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
I get that we need these types of guys and they have done well and been integral parts of UNCs runs in the tourney. Im just saying Ive not seen Roy go THIS far down the list of prospects. As I said guys like Joel James etc that unc has signed as projects were always in the top 100. This is a different level for sure.

Well goody for them. 3 start on 247. And remember when the Holes always said Roy would never go after a kid from a high school diploma mill like Word of God?? Then when it was found that Roy was recruiting Huffman they said it was OK that Roy was recruiting a kid from a "school" like that because, obviously, things must have really straightened up at WoG as if it hadn't greatly improve Roy would have none of it. Loll.
Don't forget that J Felton is now going to a diploma mill school in Columbia and also being coached by a handler who is a partner of Brian Clifton

I think it's just a role reversal from last year. When Amile went out and even before that, Duke last year had a razor thin margin for error. Conversely, UNC had a lot more depth to work with if things weren't going well or if they sustained an injury. Couple that with the weaker field last year and UNC had its best shot in six years to win it.

This year, we have the depth, pretty much everywhere. Our margin for error is not that small- if one guy is off, another guy can step in right away. UNC on the other hand- while they will be very good and i think top 10 all year, their margin for error is much smaller than ours. The thing they have going for them is that they have one of the best PGs in the country leading their team and it's a PG game.

I expect Duke to win both matchups, but I could easily see a split of home teams winning each. I'd be blown away if we lost both. Duke while yes if we made a few more shots last year at Cameron could have won, but we should have gotten blown out in that game the way we were out rebounded.

I really like our combination of talent, youth and experience. Would make it a great year to sweep the heels in the regular season and maybe the tourney. They have enough talent again his year to do the same to us if we aren't ready or have some major injuries. They have the talent to win the national championship as well as a lot of other teams but I really like our team this year and the potential to achieve all goals. It would also be fantastic if we beat the football heels this year. We owe them and their vandals big time. No, I ain't forgot about it. OFC

Reactions: dbav
Pretty fair post. I tend to agree. Like a lot of UNC fans did last year, I think some Duke fans are downplaying the Tar Heels this upcoming season. I actually do think we'll win the regular season, but I also think UNC will be #2. With unbalanced conference schedules teams are sometimes afforded a few luxuries....we got that some season's back and it would appear UNC has a little of that going for them this season.

As for head-to-head, like UNC was favored and should have won both last year, I think Duke will be favored both times this season. Whether or not we win both remains to be seen. I reminded Duke fans last week who expect us to roll over you guys....people said the same about UNC over us last year, but if Duke hits a couple jumpshots at Cameron we could have very well swept you. I do believe we'll be the better team, but I don't think it's by as significant of a margin as some would like to think.

I was very pissed we didn't win both last year, because you're right we should have.

Duke will be favored both times. I expect both games to be close, or at least most of the time. I don't see a smack down on either side, as even in years where one was supposed to roll over the other, the rivalry aspect of the game keeps it interesting as you pointed out.

I'm holding out hope we can win at least one. I believe it's possible. But there's no denying it, you gotta championship caliber team this year. The only real question mark I have is the point guard spot, and whether Frank Jackson can play that position properly.

Reactions: dbav
Don't forget that J Felton is now going to a diploma mill school in Columbia and also being coached by a handler who is a partner of Brian Clifton

Wait! WTF? Debating recruits is one thing but 5+ years in please don't tell me unx fans are questioning anyone's academics. Wow. That said...and ya know I hate 'im...I'd be shocked if Roy didn't get this recruiting drought ( of sorts ) turned around.

I'd be shocked if Roy didn't get this recruiting drought ( of sorts ) turned around.

I'm waiting for that day myself. Then again, I'm not the most patient person. I do believe that 2018 and 2019 bode much better in terms of recruiting than this year.

On paper we are far better than they are but what makes this rivalry so great is that these teams play each other so hard that nothing can be taken for granted.Their was some some crazy stat about their only being a few points difference in the total points scored over a ten year period

Idk about "far better"..Unc is returning 5 guys who played critical roles on a national championship contender... I doubt theres any team in the country that will be far better on paper. I will say duke does appear deeper, but if Bradley performsto his star level and woods an breakout, all bets are off

Idk about "far better"..Unc is returning 5 guys who played critical roles on a national championship contender... I doubt theres any team in the country that will be far better on paper. I will say duke does appear deeper, but if Bradley performsto his star level and woods an breakout, all bets are off

Roy will hide Bradley on the bench until March. I'm willing to bet UNC loses 10 games or more this season.

If Bradley cannot give you 15-20 solid minutes per game y'all in in big trouble

It's hard to know at this point what the lineup will be and how minutes will be divided. I could see Bradley starting out small, but then really picking up steam as the season goes on, giving us an extra 10+ points/6-7 rebounds. Guy is a very polished player.

As I've said before, maybe even in this thread, I would love it if UNC sucked. But they aren't going to.

As far as the returners though, I think it is definitely a mixed bag. I think Hicks will be demonstrably better and more productive in an increased role. But I have doubts about Meeks. I know the customary "he is in the best shape of his life" summer talk is going around, but that is grain of salt stuff. I think at this point he kind of is what he is. He isn't about the have the senior year Johnson did. More optimism is reasonable in regards to Jackson. He is going to be very good, but I don't see a lot of his problem areas completely disappearing. He won't gain elite athleticism and quickness between now and the season, but if he just shoots the ball more consistently, it will do worlds of good for him.

I have no such doubts about Berry. He is going to be good. But Pinson at the 2 would scare the s*** out of me if I were a Heel, which seems to be what a lot of their fans think will happen. I would like my shooting guard to have made more than 18 threes in 40 games.

Overall they will be solid, but it would be tough to argue that they won't take a little step back, while I think all of college basketball is taking a step forward.

Reactions: tw3301
One thing is for certain, when Roy needs a defensive stop late in the game he will implore his squad to play tough D....Hope Old As Dirt is reading this- I am reminded of the crouch into the #2 position with a very pained expression on his face....

OFC

I know Carolina has some people coming back, but I make it no more than 50-50 that any of them rise to the level of Paige or Johnson. Until Paige starting playing like sophomore Paige they weren't final 4 material last year. Right now, don't they seem to be recruiting at the level that Cutcliffe was when he got to Duke? Gambling on 3 star players over achieving. However we all know in basketball it can turn around with one good recruiting year. Especially if you get them to stay for 2 or more years!

One thing is for certain, when Roy needs a defensive stop late in the game he will implore his squad to play tough D....Hope Old As Dirt is reading this- I am reminded of the crouch into the #2 position with a very pained expression on his face....

OFC

Stool softener. It goes along with getting old. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
I could be wrong, but I do know unc isn't better than last years UNC team. Remember you guys loss 7 games in a weak year of college basketball. This year is loaded with talent and you guys don't have Paige or Johnson to bail you out this season.

We aren't as good as last year. Paige and Johnson aren't two guys you simply replace. They were the heart and soul of the team.

But, I also don't think it will be a dramatic slide either. We have the talent to be a top 10 team and I think we will be.

We aren't as good as last year. Paige and Johnson aren't two guys you simply replace. They were the heart and soul of the team.

But, I also don't think it will be a dramatic slide either. We have the talent to be a top 10 team and I think we will be.

That's fair, I think you guys could be a top 10 team. I'm curious if the upper classman will make big strides from last season. I think if Berry, Jackson, Meeks, and Hicks step it up, then you guys will be ok. If not, well it's going to be a long season.

Duke's not just deeper than unx. They're flat-out better. More than that , Duke is BETTER than DUKE from LAST year. Face it. Duke got demonstrably better. Ya can't say that about this year's unx team. As you said , you're hoping 2 frosh "breakout." Duke doesn't get the same consideration? For the sake of argument , let's concede Bradley and Woods
"break out." What of Duke's? They could "break out" too , right? This is the myopia that affects unx fans. "Our frosh meet or exceed expectations. Our upper-classmen always improve. Duke's? Maybe maybe not." Look , Grayson is already better than anyone on Roy's team. Duke gets Jefferson back. Kennard. Jones. All PROVEN players and Duke adds the top class in the country. Last time Duke had the #1 class they won it all. IOW , all things being equal , Duke is decidedly better. Best case for unx and WORST case for Duke THEN "all bets are off." Maybe. Otherwise...Duke sweeps...again.

And Duke has 3 guys returning who contributed from a national title WINNER. Wasn't Duke last year far worse than the previous year? What was the difference - oh yeah, the best players were no longer there. The argument that 5 contributors are back and so you're good...well ok, if that's the flavor of Kool-Aid you prefer.
And all bets are off if X, Y, and Z happen. Really?

One of the players I currently coach, her father played for Dean Smith at UNC. He openly admits Duke is load with talent and deserves the number 1 ranking, but he also thinks that Meeks & Hick with Jackson will be a tough match up bc they are not only talented but very experienced. He said the Duke's guards are very good and and they are deep but again he said Pinson, Berry and Britt bring a lot of experience. His belief is Duke and UNC split the regular season games (both winning at home) and they play in the ACC tournament title game.

He said over and over again how talented and deep Duke is but also said UNC has the experience factor and that coupled with their talent will help them to win tough games.

It's great as a Duke fan to have a person I interact with daily to be a UNC basketball alumni. Makes the rivalry so much fun; not to mention all the info I can get.

Reactions: skysdad
Can't get a fair trial?! Seriously?! The legal profession in this state is full of unx alums/fans and any potential jury pool will be too. If this ever gets to trial , any concerns about fairness should come from her. And again...just so we're clear...I'm not judging either of these 2. I have no idea what did or didn't happen. Just thought the statement about him not being able to get a fair trial was disingenuous....

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/16061210/

Reactions: skysdad
Can't get a fair trial?! Seriously?! The legal profession in this state is full of unx alums/fans and any potential jury pool will be too. If this ever gets to trial , any concerns about fairness should come from her. And again...just so we're clear...I'm not judging either of these 2. I have no idea what did or didn't happen. Just thought the statement about him not being able to get a fair trial was disingenuous....

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/16061210/

This is so true. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT