ADVERTISEMENT

IC Thread states UNC will be better than Duke!

With Pinson we'll just have to play the wait-and-see game. I understand injuries have been a concern, but at the same time he hasn't shown me a lot that says he's going to ever be an All-ACC caliber player.

He's also one of what? 4 of the top 30 players from the previous 2 recruiting classes still in school? The others are cashing NBA paychecks. Guess who the other 2 are? lulz. Only 4 left and Roy has 3 of 'em. Look , I'm not thrilled with the OAD thing either but times have changed and it is what it is. Like I've said....Roy could load up. As of now , he hasn't adapted. And it ain't because he's specifically targeting lower ranked kids. He's pursued the same guys K and Cal have. He just ain't gettin' 'em. Sure , scandal issues are a part of it. Moreso is the perception ( reality , in fact ) that elite recruits end up staying in school longer at unx than they do anywhere else. Today's best wanna go somewhere they can maximize their abilities , play for a title with other's on their level and get to the league asap. Roy doesn't sell that which is why last season was his shot. I think they'll be fine this year just not a FF team. Hey , if Roy signs some of these that he's "in the thick of it with" then all of this is just talk. If not , as I said earlier , 2018 will be interesting. One other thing. A bit off-topic so sue me. This notion that the next Duke/unx games "should be fun" is just as likely to be wishful thinking on the part of the Tarhole Nation. Yes , unx leads all-time but let's talk "relevance." Duke's 28-13 vs the holes in the last 41. 6 of last 10 AT unx. Duke's beat 'em what? 12 times since 2010? You'd never know any of that from unx'ers. They do their usual "wait 'til next year" and "Duke sux" thing but the Devils are kickin' that azz on the regular these last few years. Is what it is.

I actually think Knox will go to UNC. Hope I'm wrong, though.

You been talking to gary7 haven't you dj? I've wondered all these years how so many times you are right on it. :D OFC

Well, DJ, proof that Huckleberry Roy is, as gary would say, 'cruitin', the elite kids is the fact that the Hole in this thread, as well as the morons at THR, all claim how they are "in it" for the likes of Knox and PJ. Lol. They talk out their asses.

sensitive group..The hole.. cute nicknames you grown ups have:) all in good fun I imagine. no but really I would take that bet. I think UNC will land one of them at least. Im willing to be proven wrong.

sensitive group..The hole.. cute nicknames you grown ups have:) all in good fun I imagine. no but really I would take that bet. I think UNC will land one of them at least. Im willing to be proven wrong.

Ever see all the witty little nicknames over at THR and Tar Hole Nation in general? K is "The rat", sarcastically called "LOM" (Leader of Men), DOOK (talk about "cute"), Grayson "the white whiplash flopped tripper", and various other versions of that one.....and so much more.

Ever see all the witty little nicknames over at THR and Tar Hole Nation in general? K is "The rat", sarcastically called "LOM" (Leader of Men), DOOK (talk about "cute"), Grayson "the white whiplash flopped tripper", and various other versions of that one.....and so much more.

Its cool man I don't take it seriously at all you could call me Hillary Clintons rotten bush and I wouldn't care. I do very much disagree with you about Washington and knox as far as unc is concerned though, they may not get either one, but I assure you they are in it to the end for both. we shall see.

Reactions: KellenPatrick
Its cool man I don't take it seriously at all you could call me Hillary Clintons rotten bush and I wouldn't care. I do very much disagree with you about Washington and knox as far as unc is concerned though, they may not get either one, but I assure you they are in it to the end for both. we shall see.
Has Gary7 been bending your ear?

It's not a lie if you believe.

OFC

Reactions: Mark Gastineau

You say you look at both what we write here and thr. You mention nicknames. Have you even noticed what thr puts up about Coach K (Satan or Hitler ) or Duke players and that's fine. . This is exactly what I mean with thr posters coming over here. You act like you are entitled. It's like this. The camera could scan a section of unc coeds wearing unc gear during a Duke game and a tar heel fan would say how good looking she is. Right beside her is her twin sister wearing Duke gear and the same unc fan would say how ugly she is. But you just proved that you are a tar heel fan, you can't help it. It's your nature. As you make more post little by little you will become like the rest of them. OFC

I like you guys, I can take it but I will dish it out, its all fun for me like I said I don't take this seriously. I know they have nicknames for allthingsduke over at thr Im not denying that. its all good.

Then why even bring up the Hole thing. This is a Duke board. Really how long do you think one of us would last over at thr if we complained about them using non-flattering nicknames on thr. You still don't get it but I think you know exactly what you are doing. OFC

Then why even bring up the Hole thing. This is a Duke board. Really how long do you think one of us would last over at thr if we complained about them using non-flattering nicknames on thr. You still don't get it but I think you know exactly what you are doing. OFC

chill man, I have no clue about the politics of both boards. I didn't mind the hole comment at all personally, I was just trying to have some fun with it. haha damn obviously there is a lot of tension between the two boards, I seriously wasn't aware of it to this extent. ok I will keep to strictly basketball talk here . if you guys choose to call me names or whatever that's your prerogative, I just came here for good hoop talk.

Reactions: skysdad
chill man, I have no clue about the politics of both boards. I didn't mind the hole comment at all personally, I was just trying to have some fun with it. haha damn obviously there is a lot of tension between the two boards, I seriously wasn't aware of it to this extent. ok I will keep to strictly basketball talk here . if you guys choose to call me names or whatever that's your prerogative, I just came here for good hoop talk.

That's good. No one has called you a name. Just post has though you are a guest is just what you are. Remember my first couple of replies to you. That's all you gotta do dude. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
DJ thinks Knox to Unc is feasible and he is a poster that had pretty good info.I certainly hope he is wrong this time

I think it's UK or Duke at this point. UNC will probably have Justin Jackson as a senior.

Justin Jackson will be 22 in March. He's getting old. Both draftexpress and nbadraft.net have Justin Jackson listed in their 2017 mock drafts. Most everyone at THR thinks he will be gone after this season. But UNC still has Roy. He holds onto his players like a 5 year-old holding onto a parents' leg on the first day of kindergarten.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Yeah, I'd be shocked if Jackson came back next season. Obviously Meeks and Hicks are both gone too since they're seniors. I would assume Berry goes too, but many feel he could stick around. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but as I've said I see UNC being pretty good this upcoming season. Next year? It could be a struggle.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if Jackson came back next season. Obviously Meeks and Hicks are both gone too since they're seniors. I would assume Berry goes too, but many feel he could stick around. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but as I've said I see UNC being pretty good this upcoming season. Next year? It could be a struggle.

I'm not buying into the hype with UNC. IMO, they will lose close to 10-12 games. Keep in mind UNC loss 7 games last season in a weak year of college basketball. This year's UNC team isn't better and college basketball is much stronger. I foresee many games that Hicks fouls out and I'm not sold on UNC playing small ball. Roy is stubborn and doesn't adjust to his players.

Last edited:
I don't think your assessment is off at all. Knox is going to come down to the spring and Washington has been big on UNC for a while now.

One game changer for Carolina in my opinion is Pinson, whosbeen hamstrung by injuries so far in his career. If he steps his game up which theres been reports hes taken a huge leap, I think he takes unc to another level. Has the most raw talent on the roster in my view. anyways I know duke is loaded. should be fun

That's interesting to hear, because off-season reports of guys making huge leaps are pretty rare.

I don't think the cheaters will lose double digit games this year simply because of their weak schedule. I also don't think they make it to the second weekend of the NCAA tourney either, I see us sweeping them this year with neither game being close. We are better at every position with the exception of maybe pg. Our bench is much deeper and of course, they have Roy and we have K....nuff said.

OFC

Last edited:
Yesterday Evan Daniels stated that he thought Washington will be Kentucky's first commit. We shall see...

That's interesting to hear, because off-season reports of guys making huge leaps are pretty rare.

I love sarcasm:) point taken, but for me its good to hear because the kid hasn't had a full offseason in chapel hill to workout due to injuries. Hope the reports are accurate.

I like you guys, I can take it but I will dish it out, its all fun for me like I said I don't take this seriously. I know they have nicknames for allthingsduke over at thr Im not denying that. its all good.

Ha ha, one anti Tar Hole remark at THR and you get the "tombstone". Lol. Mikey and the other dork mods feel sooooooo cool when they do it too. What a joke.

UNC could be pretty good next year, but a lot would have to go just right...They would need significant improvement from almost every returning player and Bradley and Woods able to be legitimate ACC contributors right away. Then they need no serious injurious to Meeks, HIcks, Bradley, Jackson, Pinson, or Berry.

Reactions: atl-heel and dbav

He and Pinson are THE highest rated players in their class still in school. Anyway , it's not inconceivable he'll be at unx all 4 years. Opinions vary...

“He played better this year than he did the last, but he didn’t have the impact that I thought he was going to have,” an Eastern Conference scout said. “When I saw him in the (Nike) Global Challenge (in high school in 2014), I thought, this boy is going to be off the charts. I was like, man, he’s baby KD. He played better this year, but I think he needs to come back. He’s not ready to start, and he struggled being a backup. But, he’s not.

“With all that said, I didn’t see, what I saw when he was at the Global Challenge, I was like, this kid’s a shot-maker. He kind of became one-dimensional at North Carolina. I’m not a Hall of Fame coach, but I think a lot of his offensive instincts got suppressed within that system, or within his head. He just wasn’t the same guy.”

Said an ACC coach: “I think he’s a good shooter. Their system is so different. Everything they do is a little bit different. A lot doesn’t translate from their system to the NBA, other than they learn to play with other good players. No neck. Long, long arms. Plays in transition. I don’t know what his percentages are, but I would think he’s going to be a very, very good shot maker at the next level. Very athletic. I think he’s high character, a quintessential sort of win forward. You don’t see him in too many pick and rolls. I think he’s a very high-level talent.”

Jackson was just fourth on the Tar Heels in scoring, but NBA types know that that can be misleading with Carolina players.

“I want to like him, because he had the great reputation out of high school,” a Northwest Division executive said. “He can really pass. In Carolina’s system, where they all share the ball, he had three assists a game. That’s really a lot. But he just doesn’t make shots. And, he’s really thin.”

http://global.nba.com/news/dukes-wiry-ingram-tops-in-a-group-filled-with-potential/

I'm not buying into the hype with UNC. IMO, they will lose close to 10-12 games. Keep in mind UNC loss 7 games last season in a weak year of college basketball. This year's UNC team isn't better and college basketball is much stronger. I foresee many games that Hicks fouls out and I'm not sold on UNC playing small ball. Roy is stubborn and doesn't adjust to his players.

I'm not sure it's hype....but I think some --- not necessarily, you --- are also trying to purposefully dismiss them because they're our rival.

I try and look at things the best I can, while at the same time being objective. Now, I admit, I fail at that often. I dislike UNC as much or more as anyone here and love having fun at their expense....but it's hard to sell me on them being some ho-hum team.

IMO, they look like a top 10 team based on Berry, Jackson and Hicks alone. That's a nice trio. Now, there's a lot of "if's" for them this season. I get that. Like, if Pinson takes the next step. If Meeks becomes consistent. If Bradley steps in and gives them an immediate and much needed presence inside. If Woods can give them something right away. Obviously, that's a lot of if's and it would be preposterous to suggest all of those come to fruition, but I think it's just as preposterous for us to assume that none of them happen, either.

Here's the deal, the ACC is loaded this season. Every night, save a few, is going to be a grind. UNC has veterans who have been through those kinds of games before. That's an instant advantage. On top of that, you have to like their conference schedule if you're a fan. It's not going to be easy by any means, but it sets up well for them. I just see them at around 12-6, with the potential to be a game or two better, and at worse maybe 11-7.

Lastly, I predict we sweep them. But let's remember, no one really gave us a chance against them last year and we stole one in Chapel Hill and if we make a few jump shots in Cameron it's reasonable to believe we sweep them. Also, don't forget that it took one of Tyus's great moments his freshman season to beat a team we were favored against and trailed by 10 with under five minutes to play in Cameron, to boot. The optimism is great here and I love that, but I'd encourage people to temper the optimism and realize that while we could be very, very good, we're also not unstoppable.

On paper you guys have the better overall team. However, I do not think we are so outmatched that we are incapable of beating you.

My prediction at this point, is that you guys will finish 1 or 2 in the ACC, and Carolina 3 or 4. I think we can beat you at home, on the road it'll be damn near impossible. But let's face it, you guys are loaded this year, even if I do despise you at the same time haha. Should make for an interesting season.

As for the recruiting battle, it's a bit uphill. However, I don't think we're out of it by any means for Knox or Washington.

Highly doubt you get either but I notice Knox and PJ are pretty much the only two you guys are pinning your hopes on as far as getting an elite recruit. Ha.

On paper you guys have the better overall team. However, I do not think we are so outmatched that we are incapable of beating you.

My prediction at this point, is that you guys will finish 1 or 2 in the ACC, and Carolina 3 or 4. I think we can beat you at home, on the road it'll be damn near impossible. But let's face it, you guys are loaded this year, even if I do despise you at the same time haha. Should make for an interesting season.

As for the recruiting battle, it's a bit uphill. However, I don't think we're out of it by any means for Knox or Washington.

You guys have the experience to compete with us, however, Roy is your coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT