ADVERTISEMENT

How mean are you towards duke players during a game?

crazyduke3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2010
When the game is going on and it's tight and a guys a mistake, do you get ugly towards them?

Like I think I can control myself relatively well (not perfectly!) on the board. But in the heat of a game, if say Javin fumbles the basketball or Zion shoots a three, I lose my mind and get very insulting. I never curse but I was call a guy an idiot or stupid for little things. Even though in my heart I love them. And afterwards I'm just like... what is wrong with you?

When the game is going on and it's tight and a guys a mistake, do you get ugly towards them?

Like I think I can control myself relatively well (not perfectly!) on the board. But in the heat of a game, if say Javin fumbles the basketball or Zion shoots a three, I lose my mind and get very insulting. I never curse but I was call a guy an idiot or stupid for little things. Even though in my heart I love them. And afterwards I'm just like... what is wrong with you?

Sometimes but I try not too. My biggest thing is when they miss free throws or allow unc cheater u to go into their transition offense game after game and play after play but that is a team thing. The free throws is an individual thing. OFC

My antics depend on where I'm watching the game from...home, bar, friends house, etc.
The only things that really get under my skin are: missing the front end of a 1-and-1, not getting back on defense, and unnecessary stupid turnovers. (I'm still not over Duval's turnover at the end against UVA last year.)

I'm pretty bad, I'll be honest! I try to stay calm but I don't do very well. The biggest thing that gets me is lazy rebounding...giving the opponent 15 chances per possession!

Reactions: DukeDenver
Very very rarely do I say something negative towards anything Duke..... I take the positive reinforcement method and always think we’re going to win until the buzzer sounds. Always.

No I’m not a hero lol, it’s honestly just my Way with Duke

I tend to get really frustrated at times during games but I don’t really throw out insiults at players. I might have blurted our idiot a time or two out of frustration after a bad play.

Reactions: DUKEFEDFAN
I was ready to strangle jack white last game for missing so many ridiculously wide open 3s...

I'm more likely to rail at the Universe and the laws of physics than to get down on any specific player.

I don’t get mad as much at individual players as I do at stupid plays. Like, when RJ takes a stupid shot, as he’s done before, I’ll raise my arms in disgust and be like “Why?” After Jack’s 46th missed three the other night I was a little taken aback by that.

I get these are kids and they don’t want to make bad plays....they just sometimes make bad plays. It’s human nature. It probably took me until well into my 20s to realize they’re not doing it on-purpose.

I try not to get mad at Duke players, but I got frustrated with Duval last year. I get frustrated with RJ at times, but I don’t get super super mad or anything like I did when I was a kid when watching Duke play.

Players don't want to make mistakes (miss shots, make turnovers) anymore than we want to see them. I rarely get mad...unless I feel that someone, or the team as a whole, isn't giving it a good effort. That is the one thing that I expect, at all times.

OFC

yeah, I ain't justifying anything, they are human being just like me. I just get heated watching my teams play.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
My son will be 16 on July 30th. Was worried his first words would be "f ing Deng!" He had a great freshman year and I certainly liked him as a player, but, freshman will be freshman.
Stupid plays, weak rebounding, missed front ends of one and ones by good foul shooters, and, recently, Javins total lack of hands (only in the moment) are some of my triggers.
Totally disagree with bashing guys for inherent lack of ability. Josh Hairston and Paulus are perfect example of that. Not their fault they weren't more physically gifted. They busted their butts and bled Duke blue.

I try not to be. David McClure and Paulus probably received the brunt of it. Still glad both played at Duke.

I'm not mean - I go into Coach Davis mode. If it's a dumb play - I tell them through the TV. If its a great play - I tell them through the TV. I coach them and call the plays and let my family know when they work!

I'm typically not mean towards our players, the opposing team however....It's never even close to sportsmanlike what comes out my mouth. Some players deserve it though, like every single person who has ever donned that UNC jersey, the woman beaters at Kansas, Frank "icantcompetesoimgonnainjurehim"Howard and loads more! Lol

Did I mention weak rebounding? Really irks me. Years ago, while playing after work at my school, my best friend at work went up soft, one handed, and lost a rebound on the D end. Being that I was responsible for most of the rebounding and dirty work at both ends, it bothered me even more. I screamed at him: "get a f ing rebound, grab it with 2 hands, like it's a f ing t.t!!" Everyone on both teams thought I was gonna kick his arse right then and there. Scared the sh.t out of him. We are still great friends 30 years later and to this day, he has never gone up soft like that again. In spite of being a small guy who cant jump, he's never lost a rebound he had his hands on again!

I don’t really get mad at the players. I may get upset with a few plays. Now I do get mad at the refs at times and will then yell sometimes at my tv lol.

Disappointed - yes. But these are ultimately 17-23 year olds. I am twice the age of some of the players at this point. Once you reach your 30's the loses don't hurt as much but unfortunately the victories just aren't as life changing to me either. Sports is now an escape, win or lose it doesn't (and shouldn't) have a lasting affect on my everyday life. I fear this will become even more so once Coach K is gone.

I talk to myself alot during the game.I get frustrated but dont curse out any individuals,i do however, take it out on what ever i'm drinking at the time.....

The only current guy that frustrates me to the point of momentary anger is Javin, which is dumb on my part. It annoys me that he can’t control his hands or body momentum, but it’s probably just built in. Javin, I appreciate what you do young man. You are a model Duke basketball representative.

One guy I never liked was Josh McBob. His attitude sucked and never really got better.

Last edited:
I only get annoyed when the effort isn't there. They could lose by 30, nmand I still wouldn't be pissed as long as the effort and heart were there.

Plus, it's college basketball. It's a bunch of kids playing a game. I don't understand people that get truly angry at the kids they're supposed to be supporting.

I had a bad thought run through my mind when Alex let the shot clock run out. I don't care if no one on the bench let him know. He should have known. I don't think he returned. I forgave him immediately. Still love him. He will learn from this. OFC

Reactions: df64
I had a bad thought run through my mind when Alex let the shot clock run out. I don't care if no one on the bench let him know. He should have known. I don't think he returned. I forgave him immediately. Still love him. He will learn from this. OFC

He actually returned to the game about a minute later, but not for long. AOC looked entirely overwhelmed by the moment last night.

Reactions: skysdad
Guilty. I get riled thinking some of our reserves look the way they do on the court. The other is when I don’t think certain players aren’t putting forth enough effort.

I'm a huge asshole during Duke games. I'm the same way when Duke isn't playing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT