ADVERTISEMENT

How long till..

I would love to hear that Mitchell is putting up 500 three pointers and 500 foul shots every day between now and mid November. Even on this board, we are divided as fans, and that's perfectly fair. Mitchell (like pretty much everyone on the team this past year) was inconsistent for sure. Still, Chris and I welcome him back. He showed me enough potential that I want him next year, even as a 6-7 energy guy coming off the bench. First work on changing his shot then put up 500 a day. I think with full off season we will see improvement next year. Like to see him come back and fight for playing time.

I would love to hear that Mitchell is putting up 500 three pointers and 500 foul shots every day between now and mid November. Even on this board, we are divided as fans, and that's perfectly fair. Mitchell (like pretty much everyone on the team this past year) was inconsistent for sure. Still, Chris and I welcome him back. He showed me enough potential that I want him next year, even as a 6-7 energy guy coming off the bench.

I would rather Duke just do like every other program in the country and bring in a guy that's already proven he can do the job.

You have a point but don't you think Mitchell would be highly sought after in the portal? Former 5 star, 2 year starter at Duke, averaged 11 and 6.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
I like that Drexel Center, and Tyson from Belmont. Get them 2, and run teams and defend like crazy. That would be my motto with next years roster... "Fast pace and Out Athletic everybody"...

Reactions: christophero
You have a point but don't you think Mitchell would be highly sought after in the portal? Former 5 star, 2 year starter at Duke, averaged 11 and 6.
For sure. If it comes down to he or Sean, I do think I lean towards Sean because of the roster makeup next year, but I've always liked Mark. If he hits the portal, he will be an extremely hot commodity, right away.

.........run teams and defend like crazy. That would be my motto with next years roster... "Fast pace and Out Athletic everybody"...
I feel like many times over the past decade we have heard that THIS is going to be the Duke team that plays fast paced, pushes on O, presses, defends like gladiators and runs other teams out of the gym. It just never seems to happen because by January we are down to a 7 man rotation due to coaches decisions and/or injury. I would LOVE to see that type of team. How can Duke not have 8-10 players that can contribute in most games?

I feel like many times over the past decade we have heard that THIS is going to be the Duke team that plays fast paced, pushes on O, presses, defends like gladiators and runs other teams out of the gym. It just never seems to happen because by January we are down to a 7 man rotation due to coaches decisions and/or injury. I would LOVE to see that type of team. How can Duke not have 8-10 players that can contribute in most games?
We do have 8-10 players every year, just don't get to see them. That's what sucks because IMO it's the Coaching that shows its flaws, or limits this... Hear me out... it's not always about the best player, sometimes it's about a good fitting situation, learning what they are and attacking them. "Strategy/Chess" for 40 minutes... years back Joey Baker, who I enjoyed watching, when he got hot could really shoot, lacked defensive speed, kinda a liability. So surround that with you studs of defense... Going forward to next year, it could potentially be some serious shooters on the roster. HARRIS, POWER, FOSTER. Allow shooters to play together. So a team has to play defense the entire court, not worry about stopping one person... also allows players to stay involved and gain confidence playing 8-10 players...

7 guys back you are quite the optimist Shey.
Never said seven guys back . I just mentioned the two he left off .

I believe we see Schutt and Blake’s hit the portal with Reeves.
Mitchell 50/50 portal or pro
Flip, McCain going pro .
Power 60/40 portal
Proctor 50/50 pro or return .
I think Stewart and Foster return .

Last edited:
I agree with your list, similar to mine as for who leaves either early or transfer. I have Duke getting Mitchell, Power, Proctor, Stewart and Foster back. This with the six freshman would give a roster of 11. Room for a portal guard probably a reserve. Not expecting a big time transfer with that roster coming back. But there will be a need for guard depth. I would be very happy with that team if that is who they run with. Contender in my opinion.

For sure. If it comes down to he or Sean, I do think I lean towards Sean because of the roster makeup next year, but I've always liked Mark. If he hits the portal, he will be an extremely hot commodity, right away.
Agree that he would be a hot commodity in the portal and that there are plenty of teams willing to take a risk on him. BUT it would be a big risk, just like bringing him back is risky. Personnally, because I see so little improvement in Mitchell's over-all game and nothing which would indicate a probability that his situation is likely to materially improve. I would put the schollie to a different use and not worry about what he does when he leaves. OFC

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Agree with most but I can’t see proctor going anywhere. At least I hope not. I believe he is going to be really good.

I am a Blakes fan in his role. However, I also don’t see how Blakes leaves. I am not sure he starts on many teams. He is what he is. An energy guy off the bench that plays great d. Gets nervous with the ball on offense and makes mistakes. Would he want to come off the bench for an elite program or go somewhere else and come off the bench?

I don’t care how many stars is beside powers name. Power will not get any playing time at Duke until he can move his feet on d. I could see him leaving.

Mitchell is a beast next year if he can make free throws. If not, he is a liability late in games. It’s as bad as a turnover and ends momentum. (Missed a few games and still almost led team in attempts)

Mitchell is officially portaling.

Likely starting lineup: Proctor, Foster, Flagg, Stewart, Maluach.

Evans could also start, and slide Flagg to the 4 (and Stewart off the bench)

Mitchell is officially portaling.

Likely starting lineup: Proctor, Foster, Flagg, Stewart, Maluach.

Evans could also start, and slide Flagg to the 4 (and Stewart off the bench)
I agree and Stewart might have to play the 5 when Flagg is at the 4 in a smaller lineup. Power backup at the 3/4. Also Kon/Harris at the 3 too.

Why I think Duke will need to add a backup 4 from the portal for depth. I don’t see anyone coming in to start over Stewart. Not sure how much Power can play the 4 unless he adds size this off season. He is tall enough.

Why I think Duke will need to add a backup 4 from the portal for depth. I don’t see anyone coming in to start over Stewart. Not sure how much Power can play the 4 unless he adds size this off season. He is tall enough.
You have Pat who can play the four in a back up role especially if he’s not 100 percent . Power can only play stretch four he’s better suited to sg or SF .

Losing a 2 year starter to the portal sucks. We better keep Stewart. This one hurts.

Losing a 2 year starter to the portal sucks. We better keep Stewart. This one hurts.
Not when you got four players coming in that play the position he wants to play . “IF” Flagg is set to play SF for Duke or the stretch 4 you take that . I loved Mitchell’s defense and believed he played out position but what was his offensive skill if not around the basket ? I think the writing was on the wall with his father’s comments .

I liked Mitchell but he’s not a significant loss and no he isn’t a matchup nightmare.

Actually he’s a player easy to defend.

He offered hustle and pretty good perimeter defense.

On offense he couldn’t shoot and if guarded inside he often had his shots blocked.

He would probably do better in a fast breaking offense. A poor man Stacy Augmon.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
People in Sioux Falls are cheering....they'll get to see a good player perform in high school gyms..I think McCain has potential but he is far from ready...but that is the current state of CBB...I hope it works out for him and he has good people around him to help him succeed. He was someone we needed to go to more but didnt for some reason..he was our game changer. One more year would have done him the world of good. Good luck young man...

I've ranted in the past about guys leaving early but not this one. He is projected in the teens, so you almost have to go. I enjoyed watching him play and he seems like a really nice kid. If we get Foster and Stewart and Power back we are good.

Last edited:
Flip just declared. Good luck Flip you were a warrior for us and stayed an extra year. Thank you! Glad we are getting announcements early so we can look in the portal. I assumed McCain and Flip were going pro. An insider on DBR just said good news is coming...

Last edited:
I don’t blame either McCain or Flip for leaving they are both lottery picks and should leave while the iron is hot. McCain imo will have the better pro career. Flip can be a Dario Saric/Kelly Olynk type player in the nba.

Glad to have Proctor back. I am still a believer in him. His defense is Elite at the college level. He does need to put on some muscle and become more consistent. Glad he is coming back to offer leadership to the young guys!

I am bummed about Mitchell leaving. Ultimately I think he listened to the bad advice given by his family. Mitchell would have been a huge upperclassman to return alongside Proctor. He needs to work on his shooting outside of the paint. If he improves on his shooting and offense I think he can be a Gerald “Crash” Wallace type player in the NBA. Wishing Mitchell the best of luck as long as Duke is not playing against him haha.

I really hope Scheyer and Staff develop Stewart, I was happy to see him get more playing time towards the end of the season. It would be fantastic to see him become a Lance Thomas/Amile Jefferson type player with much better offense!

Let’s see what Foster, Roach, Power, Blakes, and Schutt do.

I think Foster, Power, and Schutt return.

Blakes goes to a smaller school to try and play more minutes. Roach tries his hat in the nba and/or goes overseas (I think he’s over the college routine).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT