ADVERTISEMENT

How long till..

Stewart if your reading our board, Please return you have so much potential it is really scary !

Reactions: Duke Blu
Thought Clingan was a sophomore ?

Duke will still hit the portal to fill needs but a lot is going to depend on who is staying and going .
Yes he is but his draft stock has jumped alot. Last I read he could be top 5 pick.

This is a copy and paste so I'm sorry if it comes out weird...

ESPN 2024 NBA Mock Draft

1. Detroit Pistons: Zaccharie Risacher, SF, JL Bourg
  2. Washington Wizards: Alex Starr, PF/C, Perth
  3. Charlotte Hornets: Donovan Clingan, C, UConn
  4. San Antonio Spurs: Rob Dillingham, PG, Kentucky
  5. Portland Trail Blazers: Nokola Topic, PG, Mega MIS
  6. Toronto Raptors: Matas Buzelis, SF, G League Ignite
  7. Memphis Grizzlies: Reed Sheppard, PG/SG, Kentucky
  8. Utah Jazz: Dalton Knecht, SF, Tennessee
  9. Houston Rockets: Cody Williams, SF, Colorado
  10. Chicago Bulls: Isaiah Collier, PG, USC
  11. Atlanta Hawks: Ja'Kobe Walter, SG, Baylor
  12. Oklahoma City Thunder: Ron Holland, SF, G League Ignite
  13. Portland Trail Blazers: Zach Edey, C, Purdue
  14. Los Angeles Lakers: Stephon Castle, PG/SG, UConn

Sean came off the bench at Montverde so I could easily see him coming off the bench as he would still get quality minutes. He's not starting over Flagg.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I think we only keep one of Mitchell/Stewart. I would love both back. It would suck to see either transfer and thrive elsewhere.
I could be wrong on this one, but both are Duke guys. Mitchell completely ignored his camp and was happy with his role, when his dad was clearly not. Also, he plays about 28 minutes a game, what possible reason would be have to transfer? For Stewart, he is a Duke guy that grew up next to Grant Hill. I think we are presupposing that all of these guys are prima donnas that will transfer at the first sight of discontent. Maybe these guys actually like playing in Durham.

Just a reminder that the McDonald's game is tonight for those that wasn't to see Evans and Flagg

Who are the big centers that are in the NCAA that will be playing next year. Are there any big impactful 7 footers? Burns, Edey and Clingan are all gone next year. I'm not questioning you, I don't want two freshman at the 4 and 5 either.

I thought I read somewhere on here that Foster came here to play point guard. Would one of Foster or Proctor assuming he comes back want to play shooting guard?

There were stretches throughout games this season when Proctor, Foster, and Roach were all taking turns running the offense.

Look up Rod Strickland NBA highlights. When he got into the lane he would mostly either finish or get an assist. Bobby Hurley too. Our guards almost never did that, although Foster did at times. We seemed to take more difficult shots than our opponants in big games, particularly NC and NC State. We lived and died by the 3 mostly. We need a true PG, not a bunch of combo guards
Foster or Proctor could be this, but not right now.

Last edited:
Definitely a lot of hero ball, defense wasn’t bad. But Flagg and Evans combined for four shots and Ian Jackson & Queen combined for 15 or so shots. It’s always a me/me type of game. Usually it’s guard dominated.

Reactions: christophero
Damn not getting Dylan Harper looks like a loss for us. Kid is a beast. Strong/good size and high bball IQ

Watching the McD scrimmage from last night. They scrimmaged on Monday; game was tonight. Some thoughts based on what I see. (small sample size)
1. This Queen kid is a load. Wow. Looks like Vern Carey out there.
2. I get Cooper can play but he has a slight build. Hit the weights son. Cooper has ups, shot looks iffy. Great motor.
3. Edgecomb is a dog. NY player of the year; comon St. John's why is he going to Baylor?
4. Dylan Harper looks great. If our guards leave this is a big miss.
5. Ian Jackson can play. Him and Cooper will have some battles.
6. Alabama with 2 guys in this game. Kentucky with 3. Duke with 2.
7. USC PG looks good; reason Bronny hit the portal?
8. Flory big going to Kansas just blocked Cooper. I get it means nothing but Cooper floating on the perimeter and not really sticking out in this scrimmage. Maybe not his style of game; I'm sure he's good. Not seeing this defense we have been hearing about; but it's an all star game. Just one scrimmage.
9. Didn't really notice Evans much.

Last edited:
Chris, I never go by these burger games. We have had so many kids that played fair to middling in these and then tore it up once they got to Duke. Cooper is the real deal; people will find out and quickly come next season.
Looking at the last two years and the landscape of Men's Basketball, I just want Cooper to be a good freshman player. If he's not Zion, Grant or Elton, just be a good freshman. If he can give us Flip's freshman year... Super!

Looking at the last two years and the landscape of Men's Basketball, I just want Cooper to be a good freshman player. If he's not Zion, Grant or Elton, just be a good freshman. If he can give us Flip's freshman year... Super!
Jam, I genuinely believe he will be a difference-maker from day one. Let us not forget Nassir Little dropped 30pts in that game were Zion went like 4-7 or something like that. Burger games mean nothing.

Last edited:
Oh I have no doubt Cooper will be good. But expectations are sky high, and I didn't see that at all last night. But again, probably means nothing. But he wasn't really mixing it up down low like I thought he would. He spent a lot of time on the perimeter. He looked liked a big guard, so he might be more of a college 3. He might get pushed around at the 4. Nothing wrong with that; but he needs to get stronger. Flip's freshman year sounds about right. Flip had a great freshman year. If he exceeds that super.

Last edited:
Oh I have no doubt Cooper will be good. But expectations are sky high, and I didn't see that at all last night. But again, probably means nothing. But he wasn't really mixing it up down low like I thought he would. He spent a lot of time on the perimeter. He looked liked a big guard, so he might be more of a college 3. He might get pushed around at the 4. Nothing wrong with that; but he needs to get stronger. Flip's freshman year sounds about right. Flip had a great freshman year. If he exceeds that super.

While we all know that an all star game is not where a Duke recruit will normally excel, Cooper looked more like the perfect glue guy than he did a standout all American. He has no weaknesses and his alertness on defense and passing are outstanding. But at least last night he didn't show that he can get a good shot any time he wants nor that he is an unsurpassed athlete. He may be a freshman year Battier, which is perfectly fine.

This could get real interesting over the next several weeks. So many questions. Does Mitchell or Stewart return, or neither. What about Power. They know as well as we do who's all coming in, and where they play. You guys have to see the possibility of Stewart & Power being frustrated with their lack of court time. If they struggled to get on the court this season, are they confident they'll get serious minutes next season? I find it hard to believe both would accept coming off the bench. Just my opinion.

We also have the guard situation. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think McCain returns. I think we get one of Proctor or Foster back. I think it will be Foster. But if both did decide to stay at Duke, I think at least one freshman will bolt.

Reactions: christophero
Cooper Flagg is going to be a star. I wouldn't take any stock on him not looking like Kobe last night. He's going to be far more than a role player.

I can't imagine why Foster would not come back, unless 2 other guards come back. Otherwise, if one comes back, he's a definite starter and probably our starting point guard. Let's remember that Scheyer stuck with Foster as the starter even after Proctor came back.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
True but I think Jon would have switched Foster for Proctor in the line up once Proctor was up to speed.

If Duke only brings back one of Proctor or Foster and no one else, they will definitely have to hit the portal. Of the in coming Freshman only Evans is really a guard, Kon could play there in spot minutes but would have issues guarding 2’s. So if Blakes or Schutt stays that is only 3 or 4 guards on the roster. We don’t even know if Schutt will be ready to play or have to redshirt again. Not good. Not sure why some think that if Foster and Proctor/McCain comes back that would cause an incoming Freshman to opt out of his commitment. Harris/Kon/Flagg are SF’s or stretch 4 for Flagg.

Proctor and McCain back would be sweet. I heard McCain just signed a new NIL deal. Hope he stays, but is stock is rising. If Foster transfers I will hardly remember him 5 years from now honestly.
Roach looked kind of done at year's end but you never know.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Agree Chris and Jim......I am certain Roach is gone. I do think he played injured for stretches of this year, but he didn't seem to fit in and didn't seem to be having fun. Heck of a player who I will always appreciate.

I always thought NIL would change young player's decision making and encourage more to stay for an extra year. We certainly haven't seen much of that at Duke though it seems. Maybe McCain is that player? Of everyone on the team this season he sure did seem to be having the most fun playing college basketball.

Agree Chris and Jim......I am certain Roach is gone. I do think he played injured for stretches of this year, but he didn't seem to fit in and didn't seem to be having fun. Heck of a player who I will always appreciate.

I always thought NIL would change young player's decision making and encourage more to stay for an extra year. We certainly haven't seen much of that at Duke though it seems. Maybe McCain is that player? Of everyone on the team this season he sure did seem to be having the most fun playing college basketball.
Agree Alan. It seems the attention that comes with the players at Duke is higher, so maybe? they think they have to go pro. The exposure they get at Duke is greater than at any other school.

Great for them, bad for the fans.

There were definitely cliques on my track team. When I was a senior my friends were seniors and juniors
4 years seems like a huge difference at that age
Everyone Roach came in with is long gone.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT