ADVERTISEMENT

Five Point Play Podcast - Season 2

Did you actually say last years team beat any team in college basketball history in a 7 game series or did I misunderstand?

Reactions: timo0402
Did you actually say last years team beat any team in college basketball history in a 7 game series or did I misunderstand?
I think that might have been taking it too far but certainly any team last year in a seven game series I think we win easily. Again that’s fully healthy. Although it might have been @dukehokie whoade that statement haha.

Reactions: dukehokie
I think that might have been taking it too far but certainly any team last year in a seven game series I think we win easily. Again that’s fully healthy. Although it might have been @dukehokie whoade that statement haha.

it was hokie sorry I shoulda clarified haha. And I do agree we would have with any team last year.

Great episode again guys. The discussion on FTs was spot on, and I agree that there should be a stat for the person that causes the steal.

I don't necessarily agree that college basketball is down this year. There may not be the same star power, but I don't think it's necessarily a down year.

Great episode again guys. The discussion on FTs was spot on, and I agree that there should be a stat for the person that causes the steal.

I don't necessarily agree that college basketball is down this year. There may not be the same star power, but I don't think it's necessarily a down year.
Thanks for listening. I do think the overall quality is down, but appreciate your take. Just happy we are in the top 3-4 teams yet again.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Thanks for listening. I do think the overall quality is down, but appreciate your take. Just happy we are in the top 3-4 teams yet again.

I'm not saying this was what you were doing, but I feel like sometimes pundits mistake "quality" with "star power". Last season was an exciting year, but I don't think the lack of star power makes us a weaker team. I think it just makes us a different team.

That said, that's just my take. I'm likely completely wrong, haha.

I listened to the first part at the gym yesterday, and I will finish it today. Speaking of criticism, I was 100% with you about Carey being out down the stretch when Duke could not buy a bucket and was relying on Jones to create individual offense (not always his strong suit) that resulted in three or so bad shots by him in the last 2 minutes or so. That decisions baffles me a little bit - but what do I know!

I listened to the first part at the gym yesterday, and I will finish it today. Speaking of criticism, I was 100% with you about Carey being out down the stretch when Duke could not buy a bucket and was relying on Jones to create individual offense (not always his strong suit) that resulted in three or so bad shots by him in the last 2 minutes or so. That decisions baffles me a little bit - but what do I know!

I love Tre, but Vern and Matt are our two best shot creators. They not only create for themselves, but for others with the attention they draw. And with the way Cassius was playing, he needed someone to take the attention away.

Reactions: HuffyJB and Mac9192
I love Tre, but Vern and Matt are our two best shot creators. They not only create for themselves, but for others with the attention they draw. And with the way Cassius was playing, he needed someone to take the attention away.

To that end, K is known for the aggressive man-to-man he learned under Knight, but he has shown a willingness to adapt at least a little bit defensively to his personnel. The instances that come to mind are going with something closer to a packline in 2010, or becoming a zone team in 2018 with Bagley and company. Do you think there would be value in this instance of a less aggressive approach as a way to keep both Hurt and Carey on the floor more? They are such a more dynamic offensive team with those two guys on the floor, but stretch/athletic 4s and 5s are potentially problematic for them on the other end. I think some of this postgame comments yesterday illustrate one reason why he is reluctant to do that. He discussed how good defense has led to good offense - not necessarily turning people over, but the general aggressiveness carries over to the other end.

To that end, K is known for the aggressive man-to-man he learned under Knight, but he has shown a willingness to adapt at least a little bit defensively to his personnel. The instances that come to mind are going with something closer to a packline in 2010, or becoming a zone team in 2018 with Bagley and company. Do you think there would be value in this instance of a less aggressive approach as a way to keep both Hurt and Carey on the floor more? They are such a more dynamic offensive team with those two guys on the floor, but stretch/athletic 4s and 5s are potentially problematic for them on the other end. I think some of this postgame comments yesterday illustrate one reason why he is reluctant to do that. He discussed how good defense has led to good offense - not necessarily turning people over, but the general aggressiveness carries over to the other end.
It would be quite the decision as you do have one of if not the best defensive backcourt in the country with Tre and Goldwire. I’m sure he doesn’t want to take away that, but if they keep giving up open layups then the change is warranted. We shall see. Pitt should be a tough matchup next week.

The pressure man to man is an easy way to generate offense because of the transition buckets. The problem comes when you play teams with 3, 4 or even 5 ball handlers. At that point, there is no real off-ball help available, which is vital to the overplay.

We saw last night, Miami has 1 maybe 2 ball handlers on the whole team. The overplay works great with them. We saw it with Kansas. Dotson is their only real distributor. Worked great with them. Against the VT, Clemson types, it just doesn’t work. And Louisville made it work by keeping 3 ball handlers on the floor at all times. That’s one reason McMahon didn’t see much floor time.

The zone doesn’t mean you can’t play aggressive. The 1-2-2 trap with Ingram was a very aggressive zone. I think a zone can actually be more effective when you have good defenders on top. You can play passing lanes more without having to shrink the middle.

I don’t say scrap the man defense totally, but having a zone situationally is just another tool in the tool box.

By the way, love the discussion on the this thread. We don’t get comments with a podcast post, so this thread serves as such. Keep it coming!

***New Episode Alert***

This one is for you Kobe. The man touched so many lives positively and we'd be remiss not to discuss how we felt about Kobe and how it relates to Duke basketball. Mamba out...

***MEGA EPISODE ALERT***

It's Carolina week! In this MEGA Episode, we give you our Duke State of the Blue-nion. We also have everything you need to get ready for the Heels. Kenny Dennard joins us again as well as moderator dukiejay from devilsillustrated.com. We all give you our predictions of the game plus the State of the Fans, State of the Team and State of the Rivalry. It's jam packed this week! Don't miss it!

***New Episode Alert***

February 8, 2020, a day to remember! How can any other rivalry be greater? What a game and what a win! We dive deep into the action and give you this raw and unedited account of how we saw what happened! Go to Hell, Carolina, go to Hell!

Lol, what an awesome podcast intro. Found myself being stared at from saying Lets Go Duke probably a little loud at the gym this morning with the headphones turned up lol. Oh well.

Great coverage and talking points as always. For me, I just don't get too frustrated when it comes to this game. For most of my life, I've learned to throw everything out the window when these two meet up. They both have had the ability to make the other team look like world beaters when on paper is shouldn't even be close. I'm always wanting a Duke blowout, but can easily find myself disappointed and frustrated when it's not and loose sight of what really matters to me. Did they fight. I'm usually good with that.

Lol, now we as fans also have to learn and keep fighting with our boys. After the Louisville game last year, that should of been a learning lesson to never give up on our coach K Duke teams lol. See it through lol.
I really enjoyed that this morning. Great work and have faith. We are Duke, there are many teams that try to be like them, but this one is ours lol. Let's Go Duke!!!!

Last edited:
Haha thank you both for listening. This game just takes it to extreme levels but I’m with you in that usually as long as we are fighting i can live with the outcome. I didn’t think we were fighting consistently as hard as they were for the first 36 min of that game.

Haha thank you both for listening. This game just takes it to extreme levels but I’m with you in that usually as long as we are fighting i can live with the outcome. I didn’t think we were fighting consistently as hard as they were for the first 36 min of that game.
Timo, I totally agree with the lack of fight for most of the game. Now that we won, I'm going with both of these theories. We wanted to give them hope that they aren't as bad as the basketball nations says, and our guys read our board and are playing jedi mind games with us lol.

I'm going with a win tonight and another fired up intro on the next podcast lol.

Timo, I totally agree with the lack of fight for most of the game. Now that we won, I'm going with both of these theories. We wanted to give them hope that they aren't as bad as the basketball nations says, and our guys read our board and are playing jedi mind games with us lol.

I'm going with a win tonight and another fired up intro on the next podcast lol.
What a gritty win! For those that didn’t listen, i predicted us to lose. Never been happier to be wrong! We didn’t play perfect but we had some big time moments from Goldwire, Alex, JAV, and Hurt.

What a gritty win! For those that didn’t listen, i predicted us to lose. Never been happier to be wrong! We didn’t play perfect but we had some big time moments from Goldwire, Alex, JAV, and Hurt.
I'm happy for you timo! Nothing bad comes from being wrong in a good way. Can I get another fired up intro on the next podcast lol?

Great episode guys. Sorry, I haven't been been able to listen to one in a while. Some observations.

1. You brought your potty mouths.
2. I feel like you were really waiting for the opportunity to mention Zoubek.
3. I liked our uniforms, I figured more would as well because they were blue and not black.

Great job guys!

Great episode guys. Sorry, I haven't been been able to listen to one in a while. Some observations.

3. I liked our uniforms, I figured more would as well because they were blue and not black.

Great job guys!
Thanks buddy...we will try and make the next version PG-13....

Reactions: dbav

Great job guys!

Anytime we can bring up Zoubs, we look for it haha.

Reactions: dbav
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT