ADVERTISEMENT

Five Point Play Podcast - Season 2

I wish we could tell you. We’re working on a few big things but they aren’t confirmed. We’re hoping @dukiejay wants to step back in the arena. Also hoping to get Clint and Brian back. We’ve had Kenny Dennard and hope to get him back. And there’s a few guys on our dream list that we’re trying to get. And let me tell you, it’s not as much a pipe dream as once believed.

I think you need to interview a few of the poster legends to further up your ratings. For instance I think Sky and Dirt would be terrific! Promo it well on here and I bet your numbers would go up! OFC

Reactions: dukehokie
I think your intro music should be changed. The NBA theme kills me every time, haha. I'm voting for Eiffel 65.

I really liked the "Opening Day" discussion.

I also really liked the piece on Vernon. He seems like he would play better against players his size because he's very skilled for his size. Matching him up with smaller guys in the exhibitions was a tough go to start in my opinion.

Great job guys.
Thanks for listening! Might need to do a poll on a new intro song! Haha.
I agree with regards to Carey, he dominated the blue white game at CTC and more than held his own against KU. I think games like the first exhibition and potentially tonight are tougher for him. We will see. Good thing is that we are very versatile and don’t rely on just one or two guys.

Reactions: dbav and dukehokie
***New Episode Alert!!***

Welcome back! This week we discuss our two games this past week. Then we unveil the newest version of the weekly overreactions segment. We go around the NCAA and touch on the James Wiseman situation. TK & AC end with a preview for Georgia St. Oh yeah, Kentucky lost, Hah! You won't want miss the shady intro! Go Duke!

I got through listening to it about 10 or 15 minutes ago, and as usual, it was terrific. I loved that intro...listened to it 3 times! You guys covered a lot of ground on this one. And yes, we're #1 baby, 'cause no one is better! Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to next week's podcast already.

OFC

I got through listening to it about 10 or 15 minutes ago, and as usual, it was terrific. I loved that intro...listened to it 3 times! You guys covered a lot of ground on this one. And yes, we're #1 baby, 'cause no one is better! Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to next week's podcast already.

OFC

Thanks Dirt!!!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

OFC
Thanks buddy!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
"Massive penalty of a written note", haha, classic.

I am of the camp that Wendell Moore needs to pass a bit more but also agree with the patience for him. He's got the skills, but seems to speed up and have tunnel vision. I like the alpha instinct, but I'm excited to see him refine his gifts.

You guys should watch this great little scifi movie called "Attack the Block". The main character (John Boyega) uses the phrase "allow it" a few times. You can make that an official sound bite for the overreactions, haha.

source.gif

Also and interesting take that there are somewhat clear Elite 8 teams but not Final 4 teams.

Great work!

"Massive penalty of a written note", haha, classic.

I am of the camp that Wendell Moore needs to pass a bit more but also agree with the patience for him. He's got the skills, but seems to speed up and have tunnel vision. I like the alpha instinct, but I'm excited to see him refine his gifts.

You guys should watch this great little scifi movie called "Attack the Block". The main character (John Boyega) uses the phrase "allow it" a few times. You can make that an official sound bite for the overreactions, haha.

source.gif

Also and interesting take that there are somewhat clear Elite 8 teams but not Final 4 teams.

Great work!
I like the feedback and thanks for listening. I’ll allow it!

i agree on Wendell also to an extent. I think he’s still trying to find his way. A few game film sessions and i think he will see he had open shooters on the wings on many of his drives. It will help him down the road. But to Hokies point- give him time.

Reactions: dukehokie and dbav
I like the feedback and thanks for listening. I’ll allow it!

i agree on Wendell also to an extent. I think he’s still trying to find his way. A few game film sessions and i think he will see he had open shooters on the wings on many of his drives. It will help him down the road. But to Hokies point- give him time.

Definitely agree. It's funny because the biggest adjustment is usually how much faster the college game is, but I think Wendell can get himself too sped up. I think he's going to be awesome with that build and athleticism. He just needs to get some more experience.

I think the assumption people make is that Wendell just clearly isn’t seeing his open teammates. I think that’s false. I think he sees them, he knows they’re there and he will pass to them when necessary. We saw that when he ran point.

It’s pretty clear to me that K has been instructing him to attack and learn. He’s trying to make plays that even the casual observer can see isn’t the right play. I don’t think that’s a lack of awareness. I think that’s a message from K of “go figure it out.” JMO.

Good point Hokie. That makes a lot of sense. My bad if I missed that.

On a different note, Moore is built like a truck. I feel like he should stay just to line up next to Johnson. They will scare people out of the gym just based on appearance, haha.

Good point Hokie. That makes a lot of sense. My bad if I missed that.

On a different note, Moore is built like a truck. I feel like he should stay just to line up next to Johnson. They will scare people out of the gym just based on appearance, haha.

Good luck to anyone Duke plays. Haha.

Reactions: dbav
Be sure to let us know if you like the overreaction segment. This is one we want to do consistently.

It’s pretty clear to me that K has been instructing him to attack and learn. He’s trying to make plays that even the casual observer can see isn’t the right play. I don’t think that’s a lack of awareness. I think that’s a message from K of “go figure it out.” JMO.

I agree with this 100%. If he were recklessly attacking and being selfish against K's will he would be on the bench IMHO.

***New Episode Alert***

This week, the guys preview the big time Empire Classic, recap the Georgia State close call, and give a nice rundown of the now signed 2020 recruiting class. We also continue our overreaction segment and unveil the new "What's More Likely" breakdown. We'll get you through to Thursday! It's a big week, Let's Go Duke!

First, right off the bat, I usually listen to the devils den podcast. This was my very first time listening to this one and I must say it was great, at least for me. You guys brought up some great points. I was cracking up with the overreaction segment. That was too funny to me including one of the awesome ACCN top notch commercial mentioning.
The overreaction on Javin was too funny. I grabbed my head when he air balled that layup and had no idea at first how hard I was squeezing. I just don't have an answer right now. I swear I've been guilty of thinking you come to Duke to play, you have had plenty of playing time, in big games for 3 years, that you would get better, especially your senior year. Man it's to a point so far that I've said "oh bless his heart " more than once.
I don't talk about players, but my gosh, I'm so sick of seeing the chest pat of my bad, or the crazy shacking of the hands, or the crazy look he has walking back to his seat after being replaced. I'm truly wondering if his hands somehow is connected to his feet and he truly has no control of them.
Anywho, I loved the podcast and will be a listener for life. Great jobs guys.

First, right off the bat, I usually listen to the devils den podcast. This was my very first time listening to this one and I must say it was great, at least for me. You guys brought up some great points. I was cracking up with the overreaction segment. That was too funny to me including one of the awesome ACCN top notch commercial mentioning.
The overreaction on Javin was too funny. I grabbed my head when he air balled that layup and had no idea at first how hard I was squeezing. I just don't have an answer right now. I swear I've been guilty of thinking you come to Duke to play, you have had plenty of playing time, in big games for 3 years, that you would get better, especially your senior year. Man it's to a point so far that I've said "oh bless his heart " more than once.
I don't talk about players, but my gosh, I'm so sick of seeing the chest pat of my bad, or the crazy shacking of the hands, or the crazy look he has walking back to his seat after being replaced. I'm truly wondering if his hands somehow is connected to his feet and he truly has no control of them.
Anywho, I loved the podcast and will be a listener for life. Great jobs guys.
You’re not alone re: Jav, as you heard. Really appreciate the kind words and glad we could be your podcast of choice going forward.

as you probably picked up on, there were plenty of counter opinions between myself and hokie! Thanks for tuning in!

You’re not alone re: Jav, as you heard. Really appreciate the kind words and glad we could be your podcast of choice going forward.

as you probably picked up on, there were plenty of counter opinions between myself and hokie! Thanks for tuning in!
Yw. I'll be going back to the beginning of this year's podcast and see what I missed lol. Yes, the counter opinions were a little different in a good way. Got my attention for sure.

Yw. I'll be going back to the beginning of this year's podcast and see what I missed lol. Yes, the counter opinions were a little different in a good way. Got my attention for sure.

Thanks soldier! This thing is way too much fun to record and with the new overreaction segment, it’s been a long since I’ve had that much fun with anything. Love it.

I hate feeling that way about Jav, but if this team is to reach their offensive potential, he can’t play. It just is what it is.

Thanks soldier! This thing is way too much fun to record and with the new overreaction segment, it’s been a long since I’ve had that much fun with anything. Love it.

I hate feeling that way about Jav, but if this team is to reach their offensive potential, he can’t play. It just is what it is.
Would be great if something magically changed and he could turn into someone we could trust and rely on, i just don’t see it.

Reactions: dukehokie
Great show, guys. Finally had a chance to listen last night.

I partly agree on Javin. Last year I think he could play a role in the offense when at its best because of the individual talent around him. That luxury just isn't there this season. And here's maybe the weirdest part of the whole thing....I think he's going to have a pretty productive professional career. Not at the top level, but he's going to make a pretty good living playing basketball.

Reactions: timo0402
Great show, guys. Finally had a chance to listen last night.

I partly agree on Javin. Last year I think he could play a role in the offense when at its best because of the individual talent around him. That luxury just isn't there this season. And here's maybe the weirdest part of the whole thing....I think he's going to have a pretty productive professional career. Not at the top level, but he's going to make a pretty good living playing basketball.

It’s definitely possible. He could find a niche like Lance somewhere or go overseas and get chances. He’s just not vibing on the court with this particular unit. He has tools available, but no instructions on how to use them. He’s got that IKEA game right now.

Reactions: GillJET
Great episode guys. I disagree with Tre being a reliable 3-point shooter, but could agree he has been showing better shot selection.

I found in hindsight that your score predictions for the Garden were terrible, haha.

I like the overreaction portion a lot. Keep up the great work.

Great episode guys. I disagree with Tre being a reliable 3-point shooter, but could agree he has been showing better shot selection.

I found in hindsight that your score predictions for the Garden were terrible, haha.

Oh they were horrible. Thanks in part to this phenomenal defense. It's legit. I was just about to load the link to the newest episode. A lot of love given to this defense.

Reactions: dbav

I don’t think my predictions for either game could have been more wrong. Do not take my advice on lotto numbers.

Reactions: dbav and dukehokie
***New Episode Alert***

This week, the boys discuss the Empire Classic, then there is a lot of talk about Vernon Carey, Jr., Wendell Moore and Matt Hurt and their roles moving forward. This is one of the best discussions yet, so don't miss out! Let's Go Duke!

Got to the new one early.

"I hate to do this, I hate to give you kudos". Classic, haha.

Really liked the discussion about depth and Joey Baker.

Thanks dbav! This may be the most we’ve differed on things which lead to an awesome discussion. This team is really special and so different than the past few iterations of Duke. It’s leading to some really interesting opinions around them.

Lmao, what a great podcast. Man as soon as I heard the opening music, you guys hand me dancing around lol. I'm freaking pumped right now about our boys and it's game night. Now that I got that out of the way, the podcast was awesome!! I totally agree about duke's defense. How in the heck do you game plan for that defense that they are playing right now?

Duke this year, has added more dogs on Defense at every position pretty much. Big Vern, Cassius, Moore, Tre, and even Joey has been on top of their defensive game. No matter what 5 is on the floor, the effort won't be lacking that's for sure. That's a lot coming at you throughout 40 mins. If it doesn't wear on you physically, it definitely will mentally.

A few things for me, if Cassius isn't in the regular starting line up, he pulled a Jordan and Alex freshman move by skipping going to a class and K found out lol. I think with Moore if you watched this man child during high school, it was just a matter of time before he figured it out. It's only 6 games into the season and all of them can and will get better. But Moore is a beast. He put so much pressure on defending him when he decides to drive and can straight up come at you on the defensive end. He won't get bullied around by anybody.

For Hurt, I would love to see them try to work him inside out on the block at the beginning of the game to get him some easy baskets to get him going. Vern is skilled enough to pull his guy out of the paint for a few possessions.

My last point in reference to Carey. His Sophmore and Junior year he was dominant, then for a majority of his senior year he battled (I'm not going to say that word.) With that, a lot of people, including a few fans questioned his skill set, conditioning, motor, defense, ranking, and whatever else they could come up with. Regardless of all that, the talent he displayed never left him. You put that with Duke's conditioning program, held to a standard discipline, and throw in the Goat to finish the product, then we're getting exactly what we expected from Carey.

These high profile recruits, especially Duke commits, you can sometimes find their complete games streaming live or afterward on youtube. If fans, get a chance, check them out.

Guys thanks for the podcast. Truly enjoyable and a fun way to kick off the day. I appreciate you taking the time to do these for the fans.

Lmao, what a great podcast. Man as soon as I heard the opening music, you guys hand me dancing around lol. I'm freaking pumped right now about our boys and it's game night. Now that I got that out of the way, the podcast was awesome!! I totally agree about duke's defense. How in the heck do you game plan for that defense that they are playing right now?

Duke this year, has added more dogs on Defense at every position pretty much. Big Vern, Cassius, Moore, Tre, and even Joey has been on top of their defensive game. No matter what 5 is on the floor, the effort won't be lacking that's for sure. That's a lot coming at you throughout 40 mins. If it doesn't wear on you physically, it definitely will mentally.

A few things for me, if Cassius isn't in the regular starting line up, he pulled a Jordan and Alex freshman move by skipping going to a class and K found out lol. I think with Moore if you watched this man child during high school, it was just a matter of time before he figured it out. It's only 6 games into the season and all of them can and will get better. But Moore is a beast. He put so much pressure on defending him when he decides to drive and can straight up come at you on the defensive end. He won't get bullied around by anybody.

For Hurt, I would love to see them try to work him inside out on the block at the beginning of the game to get him some easy baskets to get him going. Vern is skilled enough to pull his guy out of the paint for a few possessions.

My last point in reference to Carey. His Sophmore and Junior year he was dominant, then for a majority of his senior year he battled (I'm not going to say that word.) With that, a lot of people, including a few fans questioned his skill set, conditioning, motor, defense, ranking, and whatever else they could come up with. Regardless of all that, the talent he displayed never left him. You put that with Duke's conditioning program, held to a standard discipline, and throw in the Goat to finish the product, then we're getting exactly what we expected from Carey.

These high profile recruits, especially Duke commits, you can sometimes find their complete games streaming live or afterward on youtube. If fans, get a chance, check them out.

Guys thanks for the podcast. Truly enjoyable and a fun way to kick off the day. I appreciate you taking the time to do these for the fans.
Thank you sir!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT