ADVERTISEMENT

Five Point Play Podcast - Season 2

Lmao, what a great podcast. Man as soon as I heard the opening music, you guys hand me dancing around lol. I'm freaking pumped right now about our boys and it's game night. Now that I got that out of the way, the podcast was awesome!! I totally agree about duke's defense. How in the heck do you game plan for that defense that they are playing right now?

Duke this year, has added more dogs on Defense at every position pretty much. Big Vern, Cassius, Moore, Tre, and even Joey has been on top of their defensive game. No matter what 5 is on the floor, the effort won't be lacking that's for sure. That's a lot coming at you throughout 40 mins. If it doesn't wear on you physically, it definitely will mentally.

A few things for me, if Cassius isn't in the regular starting line up, he pulled a Jordan and Alex freshman move by skipping going to a class and K found out lol. I think with Moore if you watched this man child during high school, it was just a matter of time before he figured it out. It's only 6 games into the season and all of them can and will get better. But Moore is a beast. He put so much pressure on defending him when he decides to drive and can straight up come at you on the defensive end. He won't get bullied around by anybody.

For Hurt, I would love to see them try to work him inside out on the block at the beginning of the game to get him some easy baskets to get him going. Vern is skilled enough to pull his guy out of the paint for a few possessions.

My last point in reference to Carey. His Sophmore and Junior year he was dominant, then for a majority of his senior year he battled (I'm not going to say that word.) With that, a lot of people, including a few fans questioned his skill set, conditioning, motor, defense, ranking, and whatever else they could come up with. Regardless of all that, the talent he displayed never left him. You put that with Duke's conditioning program, held to a standard discipline, and throw in the Goat to finish the product, then we're getting exactly what we expected from Carey.

These high profile recruits, especially Duke commits, you can sometimes find their complete games streaming live or afterward on youtube. If fans, get a chance, check them out.

Guys thanks for the podcast. Truly enjoyable and a fun way to kick off the day. I appreciate you taking the time to do these for the fans.

I can’t disagree with anything you said. This team is growing and learning and it’s going to be an interesting season. They’ll be tough to beat in March.

Always wonderful stuff from you guys. Just got done with the new episode, and after last nights frustration, this was a great pick me up.

Reactions: dukehokie
Always wonderful stuff from you guys. Just got done with the new episode, and after last nights frustration, this was a great pick me up.

Thanks GillJET. This team has flaws, but the strengths are good enough to overcome a game like this. There’s some serious work to be done on the offensive end if we’re going to play deep into March.

Reactions: GillJET
***New Episode Alert!!!***

We have everything you need this week to get over the Stephen F. Austin loss and move on to the next play to Michigan State. We also have overreactions, what's more likely, VT preview and Winthrop analysis. It's a big week for Duke so let us get you through it! Let's Go Duke!

Great episode, guys. I still need to catch up on the old ones.

My unsolicited notes while listening to the show:

I hadn’t realized the FT disparity in makes to misses were that different between the halfs. Makes it even more frustrating knowing they were capable of winning the game if they just played marginally better in just one facet of the game.

I miss the days of watching games where 5 guys played great at the same time.

Agree that this wasn’t the biggest upset in history. I don’t think a regular season game will ever qualify for that title. Maybe if last year’s team lost to a SFA type team 15 games into the season it would be close, but only bc of all the media hype last year’s team had.

AOC..... I don’t think he’ll become a crucial part of the offense on an every game basis, but we’re going to need him to go off for 15-20 pts a few times. I’m holding out hope that happens. He wouldn’t be the first player to frustrate the hell out of Duke fans for a majority of his career only to come on late and earn redemption. We need him as a complimentary scorer that does it efficiently. This team definitely needs that “next man up” on offense when things aren’t going well early on. AOC can be that guy.

No way Ques would be an improvement over Carey. No disrespect to Ques. The bigger question is what would this team look like if Javin had gone pro and Ques had stayed? I think Ques fits this team’s needs better. I’d put Ques in the AOC category of someone that could go off for 15-20 pts a few times and be the complimentary type player on offense this team needs.

It’s a lot easier to have high assists and low turnovers when you’re passing to Zion and RJ re: Tre. Throw it within 10’ of Zion and he’ll get the ball.

I’ll definitely buy Duke getting back to #1 over falling out of the top 25.

I hope timo is right that AOC gets the start and I hope AOC has a Syracuse type game, but I think timo’s game prediction is wrong.

I think Duke beats Michigan St., this board gets back on track, then Duke loses to VT and the board goes back into a meltdown. Then I’ll open up my bipolar medicine shop on the board and make a killing.

Great show, fellas!

I hadn’t realized the FT disparity in makes to misses were that different between the halfs. Makes it even more frustrating knowing they were capable of winning the game if they just played marginally better in just one facet of the game.

Agree that this wasn’t the biggest upset in history. I don’t think a regular season game will ever qualify for that title. Maybe if last year’s team lost to a SFA type team 15 games into the season it would be close, but only bc of all the media hype last year’s team had.

AOC..... I don’t think he’ll become a crucial part of the offense on an every game basis, but we’re going to need him to go off for 15-20 pts a few times. I’m holding out hope that happens. He wouldn’t be the first player to frustrate the hell out of Duke fans for a majority of his career only to come on late and earn redemption. We need him as a complimentary scorer that does it efficiently. This team definitely needs that “next man up” on offense when things aren’t going well early on. AOC can be that guy.

No way Ques would be an improvement over Carey. No disrespect to Ques. The bigger question is what would this team look like if Javin had gone pro and Ques had stayed? I think Ques fits this team’s needs better. I’d put Ques in the AOC category of someone that could go off for 15-20 pts a few times and be the complimentary type player on offense this team needs.

It’s a lot easier to have high assists and low turnovers when you’re passing to Zion and RJ re: Tre. Throw it within 10’ of Zion and he’ll get the ball.

I hope timo is right that AOC gets the start and I hope AOC has a Syracuse type game, but I think timo’s game prediction is wrong.

I think Duke beats Michigan St., this board gets back on track, then Duke loses to VT and the board goes back into a meltdown. Then I’ll open up my bipolar medicine shop on the board and make a killing.

Great show, fellas!

Love the analysis. I’d love for there to be more discussion on this thread!

I think you’re right about Alex, but I just really hope he gets it together. K always talks about having a strong face, and Alex has really only shown that strong face a few times this season and all he has in front of him is opportunity.

I’d be willing to bet he wouldn’t need to go 5-6 from 3 or anything to secure a decent role on this squad. I’d guarantee if he was consistently engaged, he would be this team’s true 6th man. Much like we’ve mentioned with Ques in the past, he’s not always engaged.

Reactions: FearTheBeard

Great show, fellas!
Great breakdown and for giving your thoughts on our predictions and takeaways. I think it’s hard for K to throw Joey (who has a lot of confidence) into the fire tonight as a starter. I think this is where Alex can have an opportunity. Most likely I’m wrong- Tre, Moore, Jack, Hurt and Vernon will be the starters. But i like to think this would be a good opportunity for someone who’s done it before @Cuse.

Great breakdown and for giving your thoughts on our predictions and takeaways. I think it’s hard for K to throw Joey (who has a lot of confidence) into the fire tonight as a starter. I think this is where Alex can have an opportunity. Most likely I’m wrong- Tre, Moore, Jack, Hurt and Vernon will be the starters. But i like to think this would be a good opportunity for someone who’s done it before @Cuse.

The pass I’ll give Joey here is that he is a tough kid. Like you mentioned OTPC, he brings an infectious energy and fire. If any kid isn’t scared of this moment, I bet it’s him.

The pass I’ll give Joey here is that he is a tough kid. Like you mentioned OTPC, he brings an infectious energy and fire. If any kid isn’t scared of this moment, I bet it’s him.
I agree, but I won’t be surprised if the leashes on AOC and Joey will be short tonight given the environment and quality of the opponent. They’ll get good minutes if they play hard and perform from the get go, but, if not, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them benched quickly and not return. Then I’d go with @timo0402’s previously mentioned potential starting lineup with dashes of Goldwire and Javin for defense/short rests for the starters.

Finally got through the most recent episode, great stuff!

I was most intrigued with the Bolden discussion. IMO Bolden would be a MASSIVE upgrade over Javin. We have been scouted, coaches know that we do not have an elite rim protector out there (Vernon is better than expected, but still not elite) and teams are shooting around the rim at an insane elite percentage against us.
Bolden would really help with our rim protection, Javin does not. Honestly all Javin has done this season on defense is foul.

I was most intrigued with the Bolden discussion. IMO Bolden would be a MASSIVE upgrade over Javin. We have been scouted, coaches know that we do not have an elite rim protector out there (Vernon is better than expected, but still not elite) and teams are shooting around the rim at an insane elite percentage against us.
Bolden would really help with our rim protection, Javin does not. Honestly all Javin has done this season on defense is foul.

Maybe Javin will rise from the ashes tonight and be the difference. We need him. OFC

To be fair to Javin, he takes ownership of his fouls and mistakes. Pats his chest and puts his hand up, “sorry fellas”.

Tre
Wendell
Jack
Hurt
Vern

giphy.gif

***New Episode Alert***

TK & AC recap the huge wins at MSU and VT and give you their Christmas wishlist for the season. Plus the overreactions of the week and previews of the UNC Killers and Brown. Go Duke!!

Great show, fellas! I still have a little left to listen to but laughed pretty hard at the UNC segment.

Definitely not an overreaction that UNC is a NIT team without Cole.

“Hey, Roy. I know you want to build up your team for an NIT run.” Hahahahaha

***New Episode Alert****

It's been a little break but we're back! A big thank you this week to @dukiejay for joining us on the podcast! This week we get you set for the upcoming ACC schedule. We also recap the two wins against Wofford and Brown, and of course overreactions from the week. Let's Go Duke!!!

Thanks for having me on, fellas. Always a fun time. Let me apologize, though, for the Midwestern accent.

What people might not know, when I gave Javin some props I was completely unaware that Timo had just tore him down in the previous segment. ;)

You two do a really nice job....very good listen every time.

Last edited:
Thanks for having me on, fellas. Always a fun time. Let me apologize, though, for the Midwestern accent.

What people might not know, when I gave Javin some props I was completely unaware that Timo had just tore him down in the previous segment. ;)

You two do a really nice job....very good listen every time.
Like i said, @dukiejay ans @dukehokie ripped me to shreds. But we all know my takes are more accurate.

Really enjoyed that episode today while changing my oil. @dukiejay bringing the flashbacks left and right. You guys really do a great job. I hope you realize you are adding value to peoples' days.

Really appreciate that feedback Denver. Even if only 2 people listened we’d still do it. It’s a good time.

Reactions: timo0402
He absolutely is. Anything less than consideration for First Team AA (if he continues or betters this pace) is unacceptable. Name a better center in the nation...I’ll wait.
Look at a game like yesterday. We didn’t need anything more than the 9/9 he gave us. Yet if we did, we could call on him anytime we need.

***New Episode Alert***

With two HUGE wins under their belt, the Duke squad continues to roll! TK & AC recap the two wins, preview the upcoming matchups with GT and Wake, discuss the wild ACC weekend and your favorite, a very in depth overreaction segment. You can't miss this episode and the great discussion regarding Jordan Goldwire. Let's Go Duke!

Great episode guys. I missed the two prior just because of the hectic nature of the holidays.

I do want to say that I liked hearing Bilas's voice at the beginning. For all the criticism he gets here, it seems like he's done nothing but gush over Duke the last 3 or 4 times he's done a Duke game.

I really liked the Goldwire discussion and about how his defense disrupts even if he doesn't actually get a turnover.

I also liked the overreaction segment about the high/low and the number of weapons. I think that is what is different about this team. The last few years have seen us rely on 2 guys, with maybe a 3rd contributing as scorers. That worked in 2010, but hasn't recently. Now you have to account for the shooting of Hurt, Baker, AOC, and even Stanley, Goldwire, and Tre. Hurt can get inside with Carey and Javin. Wendell can streak to the hoop and Jack can out-tough anyone and hit a shot from time to time. I think that's what's special here, at least 6 different guys can be the leading scorer every night.

Keep up the great work guys.

Great episode guys. I missed the two prior just because of the hectic nature of the holidays.

I do want to say that I liked hearing Bilas's voice at the beginning. For all the criticism he gets here, it seems like he's done nothing but gush over Duke the last 3 or 4 times he's done a Duke game.

I really liked the Goldwire discussion and about how his defense disrupts even if he doesn't actually get a turnover.

I also liked the overreaction segment about the high/low and the number of weapons. I think that is what is different about this team. The last few years have seen us rely on 2 guys, with maybe a 3rd contributing as scorers. That worked in 2010, but hasn't recently. Now you have to account for the shooting of Hurt, Baker, AOC, and even Stanley, Goldwire, and Tre. Hurt can get inside with Carey and Javin. Wendell can streak to the hoop and Jack can out-tough anyone and hit a shot from time to time. I think that's what's special here, at least 6 different guys can be the leading scorer every night.

Thanks dbav. The Goldwire discussion has been one of my favorites and I am just becoming more and more of a Goldwire fan every game.

Reactions: dbav

Thanks dbav! Goldwire proved it’s going to be tough to keep him off the floor tonight. Only made one bad decision tonight and those couple missed FTs but he has played fantastic. He and Tre make the opposing ball handlers lives a living hell. So fun to watch them. They had a tremendous key and seem less switch at the very end to not allow a 3. I love what I’m seeing between those two guys.

Reactions: skysdad and dbav
Thanks dbav! Goldwire proved it’s going to be tough to keep him off the floor tonight. Only made one bad decision tonight and those couple missed FTs but he has played fantastic. He and Tre make the opposing ball handlers lives a living hell. So fun to watch them. They had a tremendous key and seem less switch at the very end to not allow a 3. I love what I’m seeing between those two guys.

They really did. They’re starting to be so in sync with each other. Switches, doubles, everything. It’s like they’re one mind on D. That’s imperative to excellent defense.

I put it on Twitter, but I think it’s possible we have the two best defensive guards in the nation on the same squad. That’s a scary prospect.

Reactions: timo0402
***New Episode Alert***

TK & AC discuss the prospects of 2019-2020 Duke beating last year's historically good squad. It's a great discussion you won't want to miss. Plus recaps of GT and Wake and previews of a big week for Duke @Clemson and home against Louisville. Just in time for the Clemson game. Go Duke!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT