ADVERTISEMENT

Five Point Play Podcast - Season 2

Finally got around to listening to this guys. Wow, heated as hell over the '11 team. I'm going to have to side with dukehokie on this one. That team lost it's luster once Kyrie was integrated back into the line up. I think K had no choice but to do that. Because it probably would've hurt his recruiting in the future with one and dones. Had Kyrie been healthy all year, that's a different story altogether. We probably only lose 1 or 2 games with a healthy group all season. But, trying to bring back a point guard who has missed 2/3 of the season when this team was riding high off of an impressive ACC tourney run just spelled doom for this group and Nolan especially.

Finally got around to listening to this guys. Wow, heated as hell over the '11 team. I'm going to have to side with dukehokie on this one. That team lost it's luster once Kyrie was integrated back into the line up. I think K had no choice but to do that. Because it probably would've hurt his recruiting in the future with one and dones. Had Kyrie been healthy all year, that's a different story altogether. We probably only lose 1 or 2 games with a healthy group all season. But, trying to bring back a point guard who has missed 2/3 of the season when this team was riding high off of an impressive ACC tourney run just spelled doom for this group and Nolan especially.
I completely agree. However, coach was in a tough spot. If he had not played Kyrie and we had lost he would never hear the end of it.

Who plays the 5 haha. Does Baker play and if so how much. Can Coleman and Brakefield both be in the rotation. Is the freshman backcourt ready for prime time or are we expecting too much?

Well, I'd love to hear you guys talk about whether or not you think Hurt and Moore are back after Stanley's comments. I think at this point, assuming those two are back, what does the team look like next season as whole if that's our team? Also, the impact of Jalen Green's decision today on the future of college basketball.

We are firing up another episode tonight. What topics do you want to hear your boys debate tonight??

Any info you can give on:

1. Draft buzz regarding our guys.
2. What to expect from the incoming class.
3. Any updates on recruiting.

If at all possible.

Last edited:
I would think the personnel is more or less set now, so it is time to discuss lineups! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the optimal group of five, how much time Hurt sees at the 5, etc.

I would think the personnel is more or less set now, so it is time to discuss lineups! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the optimal group of five, how much time Hurt sees at the 5, etc.
Great topic and I’m guessing there will be some debate between us there.

Reactions: dukehokie
Also, maybe on a future podcast, you can think about debating a Duke All-One-And-Done team.

***New Episode Alert***

Matt Hurt and Wendell Moore are back and we take a look at the prospects for the 2020-2021 squad; backcourt and frontcourt. We also talk about the absolutely loaded 2021 recruiting class and the news of the G-League offering big contracts for up and coming talent. Don't just go to any podcast, check out the 5 Point Play!

I agree that we'll probably see Roach, Goldwire, Moore, Hurt and Johnson start at the beginning of the season. Guys like Steward, Baker, Coleman,Tape, Brakefield and Williams will get their shots. I like that we can go big or small depending on the match up. O'Connell leaving means Steward will get minutes whether he is starting or not. He would have anyway; but with this line up he is the only guard off the bench.

Last edited:
I agree that we'll probably see Roach, Goldwire, Moore, Hurt and Johnson start at the beginning of the season. Guys like Steward, Baker, Williams, Tape, Brakefield and Williams will get their shots. I like that we can go big or small depending on the match up. O'Connell leaving means Steward will get minutes whether he is starting or not. He would have anyway; but with this line up he is the only guard off the bench.
So what i am really interested is Mark Williams. We have had so many different reports of who he will be. Would love others thoughts on this.

We will definitely start Williams. That's almost a done deal. Coach K will not play Hurt at the 5 and have no low post defender to guard the rim

Williams starting will happen at some point. I don’t know that it will be day 1. We need a post defender but depending on how he schedule lays out, we might not see a team with a legit post until ACC play, possibly ACC/Big 10 challenge. There aren’t many top notch bigs in the NCAA right now.

Reactions: timo0402
Williams will be the key to us cutting down the nets. If he can protect the rim at a high level he will give us a dimension we haven't had in a long time. We will always be able score. If he give us 3 blocks a game then we win the title no doubt

Reactions: christophero
***New Episode Alert***

This week, TK & AC make their picks in a Duke vs. Duke matchups. We're spanning head to head across all 5 positions.

Tyus v. Avery
Kennard v. Curry
Carrawell v. Dunleavy
Tatum v. Parker
Boozer v. Okafor

Who would take?

***New Episode Alert***

This week, TK & AC make their picks in a Duke vs. Duke matchups. We're spanning head to head across all 5 positions.

Tyus v. Avery
Kennard v. Curry
Carrawell v. Dunleavy
Tatum v. Parker
Boozer v. Okafor

Who would take?

How about a Bagley vs Carter 1 on 1 matchup, and who you think makes the overall better big??? OFC

Avery is definitely on my all underrated team. He did not play well in the finals so that is remembered. He also should have returned for his junior year.

Reactions: dukehokie and dbav
Avery is definitely on my all underrated team. He did not play well in the finals so that is remembered. He also should have returned for his junior year.
Yeah it wasn’t his best game that’s for sure. As you noted, one thing we talked about At length - if we win that game, Will is probably revered and no one questions his decision to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT