ADVERTISEMENT

First loss who’s it gonna be?

Gonzaga in Maui.

Tough ACC schedule this year with H&A games against UVA, Cuse, UNCheat.

Tough road game against VaTech too.

They’re young and they’re bound to have a bad game or meet a buzzsaw on the road.

I’d revise my earlier season prediction from 7 losses to 5 though after watching that ass whoopin on Tuesday.

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
C'mon D.J. this is fun!:D

I get that. But I watched some posters last year claim the same thing after the Phil Knight tournament in Oregon. And some of those posters started to bail on the team two months later when times got tough.

This team could be really special. Heck, Tuesday night made me feel a lot better about them, too. But, I expect some rough patches. In 2015 we were embarrassed at N.C. State, then two days later Miami spread us out and toyed with us in a humiliating loss in Cameron. Five days later we went into the Yum and beat Louisville when many were leaving us for dead. And all of that happened *before* the Suliamon fiasco and the heartbreaking loss in South Bend.

Reactions: dukehokie
1/12/19 at FSU.

I don't think we lose at home.. but having 16 days off from Texas Tech December 20th neutral court to Clemson January 5th at home could have the team a little rusty. Clemson might could pull off the upset. Crazies would maybe still be on break so Section 17 may not be at its best. This could be a possible home trap game due to the timing.

I still think we beat Clemson but could possibly slip up a few days later at FSU.

At VT 2/26/19 has potential to be an upset win for the Hokies. We have lost in Blacksburg the last 2 years. However, I still have a feeling (hope) Duke will be firing on all cylinders at the end of February going into March.

I don't know when we will lose. I feel we will lose some. I'm happy we won Tuesday, we looked amazing. I think everyone is excited with what seems to be a 'team' attitude. That is very refreshing, and it's great seeing a future top 3 nba pick as happy after making a good pass to another future top pick as if he had been the one scoring.

It's been a few years since we've watched the team all be on the same page.

I can't wait to watch the next game. If everyone is as high on these kids come March as they are now, we have a chance, and a good one.

It won't be UVA if RJ and Zion replicate what Winslow did to them, just like they did on a number of occasions to UK.

I don't know when we will lose. I feel we will lose some. I'm happy we won Tuesday, we looked amazing. I think everyone is excited with what seems to be a 'team' attitude. That is very refreshing, and it's great seeing a future top 3 nba pick as happy after making a good pass to another future top pick as if he had been the one scoring.

It's been a few years since we've watched the team all be on the same page.

I can't wait to watch the next game. If everyone is as high on these kids come March as they are now, we have a chance, and a good one.
I agree, we have a chance purely bc i think these kids genuinely are secure with who they are as basketball players and with themselves as how they are perceived. If we keep that up; no doubt we will be there.

To be fair, let’s see how we do when we face adversity. I won’t throw out predictions on the season, too many variables- but there is a lot to be optimistic about.

Reactions: skysdad
I hope this board doesn't get stupid when we lose 3 or 4 games. We could drop one in Maui. We could drop to any of FSU, UVA, UNC, CUSE. We are NOT going undefeated fellas.

If we play consistently like we did against UK, yes we are.

But we won't play like that every game. I really think our freshman were just foaming at the mouth for Kentucky.

If Zags get a chance to play Duke in Maui, and the young Duke freshmen have a bad shooting night, and Zags play their game, I can see a potential upset. Zags had a scrimmage game against Michigan State without our big man Tille, he is out until mid December, Zags won by 10 or so. Hachimura and Norvell Jr. are our two other scorers. Hachimura vs Zion match up is epic. Hachimura is a potential NBA First round pick next year. He got 33 points in the first game of the season. ESPN is dreaming for Zags vs Duke in Maui. Me too.

If Zags get a chance to play Duke in Maui, and the young Duke freshmen have a bad shooting night, and Zags play their game, I can see a potential upset. Zags had a scrimmage game against Michigan State without our big man Tille, he is out until mid December, Zags won by 10 or so. Hachimura and Norvell Jr. are our two other scorers. Hachimura vs Zion match up is epic. Hachimura is a potential NBA First round pick next year. He got 33 points in the first game of the season. ESPN is dreaming for Zags vs Duke in Maui. Me too.
Be a good nice relaxed game for me . I like both teams lol

We Duke fans are hoping for it as well.

Reactions: pisgah101
Not sure a matchup of a guy who is a potential first round pick vs a guy who is likely going #1 or 2 is epic though?

I am gonna throw in a game we all should be weary of is the potential second round of the Maui against Auburn.

Auburn has veteran guards who can play really well. They just smached Washington and they have a legit nba prospect big. Army was able to penetrate and knock down open shots. Something this Auburn team thrives on. I dont think we lose it but i think it will actually be a tougher challenge then Gonzaga especially if thise guards can get going.

With that said i am going with at Florida State on 1 /12 for our first L. Same reasons that everyone else has already mentioned.

I've watched Auburn and Gonzaga play once each. Auburn scares me more, they are a bunch of hard-nosed 21-22 year olds. They aren't nearly as talented as us, but they also won't be intimidated by us.
They have A LOT of similarities to the South Carolina team that we..um..yea..

Gonzaga, without Tillie, doesn't scare me. They don't play any defense, we should hang over 100 points on them barely breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
Unless we see some of the tendencies toward inconsistency emerge that we've seen the last 2 seasons, I'm going to feel good about winning each game... that still doesn't mean I'm predicting we'll win every game.

This isn't the kind of thing I'd want to guess correctly about, so I'm going to pass.

Unless we see some of the tendencies toward inconsistency emerge that we've seen the last 2 seasons, I'm going to feel good about winning each game... that still doesn't mean I'm predicting we'll win every game.

This isn't the kind of thing I'd want to guess correctly about, so I'm going to pass.

That is exactly how I feel, and I don't believe it could have been said any better or more clear....really good answer!!!

In an eight-day day stretch in mid-Jan. we play @#14 FSU, #15 Syr, #4 UVA.

A month later, in a seven-day stretch we play #7 UNC, @#15 Syr, @#16 VT.

I think we are all very interested in seeing how this team handles tough opponents during the dog days of the ACC schedule on short rest. But just as important to me are how we handle the lesser teams, esp. on the road. In the last 10 seasons, we've lost to at least 3 unranked teams. The only exceptions being '10 and '15 . . . and we know how those years turned out.

Downer time?

Defeat Duke: guard play and rebounding.

Without looking at the field, I always felt the 2019 Duke squad is worse built role wise compared to the 2018 starters. But we are also more versatile especially defensively.

Downer time?

Defeat Duke: guard play and rebounding.

Without looking at the field, I always felt the 2019 Duke squad is worse built role wise compared to the 2018 starters. But we are also more versatile especially defensively.
Do you care to explain "worse built role wise" compared to last year? I think the roles are more defined, we have a true point guard, we know who our scorer is, we know who our spot up shooter is, we know who our x-factor is, and we know what Javin, Jack, Alex, and Ques role are.

I've watched Auburn and Gonzaga play once each. Auburn scares me more, they are a bunch of hard-nosed 21-22 year olds. They aren't nearly as talented as us, but they also won't be intimidated by us.
They have A LOT of similarities to the South Carolina team that we..um..yea..

Gonzaga, without Tillie, doesn't scare me. They don't play any defense, we should hang over 100 points on them barely breaking a sweat.

This is where my head is. Defensively we have matchups for Gonzaga. But Auburn is going to really give us issues. That’s going to be a fun game to watch.

Reactions: jwill133
@FSU, @UVA, @Syracuse, @UNC, UNC in Durham are all possible losses. IMO we’ll lose 3 of those 5.

If I had to guess, I think it would be at Virginia just because Virginia will be able to slow Duke down and make them play their pace.

Either UVA or Gonzaga. Think we lose 3-5 games before NCAA Tournament starts because of the drastic drop off in our play when Zion, Cam or RJ gets into foul trouble.

Not really worried about Syracuse. Watched them lose to UConn last night. Not impressed.

Reactions: kl40504
Not really worried about Syracuse. Watched them lose to UConn last night. Not impressed.

Saw that. They looked rough. They have the talent to be good, and worse teams have beaten good Duke teams in their own gym. That zone will be a test with our shooting, because we won’t be able to alley oop it to death like w/ EMU.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Y’all watch out for state. They go DEEP into their bench. They play all 40 minutes and press like it’s no one business. They have very disruptive defense. If we haven’t faced anyone like that before then, it’ll be rough.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Y’all watch out for state. They go DEEP into their bench. They play all 40 minutes and press like it’s no one business. They have very disruptive defense. If we haven’t faced anyone like that before then, it’ll be rough.
No problem. Beat the press and easy layups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT