ADVERTISEMENT

F.Y.I.

I always find it funny when people throw out they can't be dumb, because they went to Duke. Where you attended college doesn't land a flying shit to whats going on in the real world and actually makes it worse when you defend those scenarios. Now don't try to twist this into I don't have faith in my fellow man and all that crap. I love this country to my core. And I love people. But that doesn't mean we can't call out a turd or two. Don't be so quick to defend the wrong stuff, it's ugly , but it's out there man.

Show, YOU were the one who threw out dumb. Dont get your panties all in a twist because someone pointed out that they aren't. People who go to Duke aren't dumb. Don't fight reality; just accept it.

And I SPECIFICALLY said there are people who take advantage of the system. I ACTUALLY SAID THAT. I took several sentences to discuss it.

In fact, I seem to have addressed both sides. I don't see you doing that aside from some general "I love this country" statements.

Show, I know your thing is being this brash guy who doesn't give a shit. But you were the one who threw around dumb; dont get all defensive when someone points out a pretty clear indicator that that isn't true. And don't go accusing someone of not recognizing reality when said person SPECIFICALLY did EXACTLY that.

Settle down Susie. I'm a guy who doesn't give a shit? Wow, ok thanks. You're such a little drama queen. Ok, Ok, you went to Duke , you win the prize.

In other news, Ipsy, QC, yea , I get it. It is aggravating at times. Such is life.

It’s get F up when you twist everything making a debate out of something.... “all”

Settle down Susie. I'm a guy who doesn't give a shit? Wow, ok thanks. You're such a little drama queen. Ok, Ok, you went to Duke , you win the prize.

"Rar rar, I just say it like it is, I'm just tough talking, you just can't deal, you are dumb, you are such a drama queen, you went to Duke so you win a prize, blah blah blah." You are such a tough talking puss, Show:)

Reactions: dakid_0812
Ya just had to throw out the ol “I went to Duke”...ya nailed your coffin shut with that hahaha

I am a puss. Little skinny ass puss. I'm sorry we disagreed. PLEASE, don't hurt me. ;)

It is effectively the law - all telecom service providers are required to contribute to the Universal Service Fund (USF) per the FCC. (as of 2014, the requirement was almost 20% of revenue) The cost doesn't HAVE to be passed on to customers, but come on, every company in every industry would do that. There may be other fees that they are created to maximize profit, but this isn't one of them. This particular fee is no different than charging for taxes - some government requires some money to go somewhere in this transaction and the company passes that "tax" (it isn't a true tax - it is the gov deciding to collect that money through a third party by imposing a de facto tax through a regulatory body). Airlines pass on gov mandated fees to the consumer. Everyone does. This particular fee being passed on has nothing to do with profits and everything to do with complying with a law passed by the fed gov. (well, more truthfully a mandate from the FCC - so effectively law)
But yes, the claim that everyone should have a smartphone might be someone's opinion, but it isn't what the goal (or even reality) of this program is.
And calling them Obamaphones is a political move and is misleading. The program expanded under Obama - presumably due to more people taking the subsidy. (probably due to the economic downturn due to the housing crisis). Everyone should care a lot more about the list of people who never spent a day in jail who were responsible for that disaster than they do about the subsidized phones.
It is best to call it a Reagan-era program. The program started during his presidency, by a republican FCC chair (see link), at the request by letter from 2 republican senators.
http://digitalcollections.library.cmu.edu/awweb/awarchive?type=file&item=640833
But it was in response to a FDR-era law. Bernie would be on board 100%.
The subsidy provided to low-income users amounts to something like $110 per year. So it pays for less than 2 months of my cell/data service. It had 12M users in 2015, and cost $1.6B. I hate government waste, but this number is tiny compared to other spending. Seriously, $1.6B is less than what was spent on the presidential campaigning. Pick your favorite government waste - it's a bigger number than $1.6B. It's 1/2 of what UNC spent on lawyers to avoid the death penalty in their cheating scandal (this one is a lie).
This is a small program, backed at some point by both parties, and the goal is surprisingly noble for something out of Washington. I fundamentally disagree with it, but again, to worry about this one is pissing in the wind.

I am a puss. Little skinny ass puss. I'm sorry we disagreed. PLEASE, don't hurt me. ;)

Show, here is the thing.

We can disagree! Obviously, that's fine:) Hell, I play video games with a UK fan who is a Trump guy every night; he's my boy!

But dude, think about the way this went:

Nobody was discussing anything regarding any of this; it was generally good natured weed jokes.

IPsych (who seems like a very nice guy but who, as we all know, struggles sometimes with moderation and written expression) then went into some strange rant about the government taking his money and never leaving anyone alone and paying for peoples phones or something like that. Honestly, it was a bit baffling.

I said I don't have a problem with supporting my fellow Americans who need it, and then tried to defuse things a bit with a "Half Baked" reference.

IPsych then went on another rant about paying for peoples cars and TVs and how none of these people work hard and HE works hard but they are rich or something. QC then told a story that seemed to support this.

I literally responded with some facts.. like, actual facts... and a link, and that people should always make sure to learn about stuff.

I cannot imagine you, or anyone else, disagrees with this, right? Learning about things is good, right?

IPsych kept going, and again, I responded with a link of data about the Americans who are on our various welfare programs.

Then YOU jump in with the "I'll just be nice and only call you dumb" comment (even though I never said what you were saying I said) and then told a story of some woman with fake nails and a Range Rover and the like.

I simply defended myself against the "dumb" comment with a simple statement involving the very school we all cheer for (this shouldn't be some touchy subject) and agreed that of COURSE there are people who take advantage of the system, and the worst ones are infuriating. But I also pointed out they are a minority if you look at actual reality and facts, so we shouldn't let those minorities color our views of all Americans who are in need, as IPsych seemed to be doing.

Then you got pissed at me for defending myself about being dumb, and said something about me defending turds even though I specifically did the OPPOSITE, and all the rest.

You've said in the past that you are emotional and quick to jump to a fight. You've said that. If you just look back at this thread, where I made sure to include links and post facts, and actually took the time to point out that I DO agree with some of what is being said, I think your approach was more confrontational than discussion.

I don't know if you are the type of guy who is quick to "go" but then also can laugh it off and say "Yeah, shit, I was jumping in, sorry, I get worked up quick, but we do agree on stuff, it's all good" or if you are the type who will just dig in even harder and refuse to give an inch.

And I'm not beating anyone up; we are just shooting the shit on a message board:)

^ Sheesh I don’t even know where to start with that .... if I were smoking a joint id be finished before the end :D

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDude1
^ Sheesh I don’t even know where to start with that .... if I were smoking a joint id be finished before the end :D

I type quickly, I tend to think quickly, I'm a thorough guy, and I think both the topic and hashing things out with the folks here is worth it:)

When in doubt, follow the Sound of Music theory... the beginning is a very good place to start!:)

Last edited:
Show, here is the thing.

We can disagree! Obviously, that's fine:) Hell, I play video games with a UK fan who is a Trump guy every night; he's my boy!

But dude, think about the way this went:

Nobody was discussing anything regarding any of this; it was generally good natured weed jokes.

IPsych (who seems like a very nice guy but who, as we all know, struggles sometimes with moderation and written expression) then went into some strange rant about the government taking his money and never leaving anyone alone and paying for peoples phones or something like that. Honestly, it was a bit baffling.

I said I don't have a problem with supporting my fellow Americans who need it, and then tried to defuse things a bit with a "Half Baked" reference.

IPsych then went on another rant about paying for peoples cars and TVs and how none of these people work hard and HE works hard but they are rich or something. QC then told a story that seemed to support this.

I literally responded with some facts.. like, actual facts... and a link, and that people should always make sure to learn about stuff.

I cannot imagine you, or anyone else, disagrees with this, right? Learning about things is good, right?

IPsych kept going, and again, I responded with a link of data about the Americans who are on our various welfare programs.

Then YOU jump in with the "I'll just be nice and only call you dumb" comment (even though I never said what you were saying I said) and then told a story of some woman with fake nails and a Range Rover and the like.

I simply defended myself against the "dumb" comment with a simple statement involving the very school we all cheer for (this shouldn't be some touchy subject) and agreed that of COURSE there are people who take advantage of the system, and the worst ones are infuriating. But I also pointed out they are a minority if you look at actual reality and facts, so we shouldn't let those minorities color our views of all Americans who are in need, as IPsych seemed to be doing.

Then you got pissed at me for defending myself about being dumb, and said something about me defending turds even though I specifically did the OPPOSITE, and all the rest.

You've said in the past that you are emotional and quick to jump to a fight. You've said that. If you just look back at this thread, where I made sure to include links and post facts, and actually took the time to point out that I DO agree with some of what is being said, I think your approach was more confrontational than discussion.

I don't know if you are the type of guy who is quick to "go" but then also can laugh it off and say "Yeah, shit, I was jumping in, sorry, I get worked up quick, but we do agree on stuff, it's all good" or if you are the type who will just dig in even harder and refuse to give an inch.

And I'm not beating anyone up; we are just shooting the shit on a message board:)

Haha, wow, there's just SO much here. What are you searching for here exactly? To be determined ""The Winner"" in this debate? Ipsy flys off some times, we all know that, but both you and I REALLY knew what he was talking about. You just picked a fight for fun and to look smart. And when you were challenged, you threw out "I went to Duke". You keep saying "I got pissed at you." No. I just made a comment, just like you do. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you didn't fully understand where Ipsy was going. In you're wrap up, you seem to be leading me into saying something like , hey man, I'm just quick to "go" and you were right. Nice lead. Fail, but nice lead. We can disagree and be friends, that's just like your underwear, it's up to ya. And I can laugh things off, and often do. I mean, this debate right here is pretty lame all the way around anyway but you keep throwing kindling in and it's burning great. We seem to be shifting towards glorifying Obama with undertones which will just end in a putrid dumpster fire, much like his term , and a mod lock. So I'll leave this thread to you and Oh Canada. Smoke'em if ya got'em.

I type quickly, I tend to think quickly, I'm a thorough guy, and I think hashing things out with the folks here is worth it:)
Ok let’s get it all straight...1st I used “””” in my first post becuase it was a random video I watched on Facebook. And hoping maybe that would just sink in that it was indeed just a quote! Just random is what I do. Helps me relieve frustration. I see where the guy is coming from. I like it . This thread just happened to be the trigger for me to post it ... Why? I’m not sure....I guess to relieve frustration .....2nd if you know I have a hard time expressing “written” then why are you trying to debate what (you think) I was expressing and twisting pretty much everything (the way you think) I was expressing it? Lmao if you can follow that..... You’re pretty much twisting everything I said, and debating with yourself when there was no debate to be had! Lmao.... I never said “all” anything ....To try to make this as clear as possible as I can I will just say yes people take adavantage of the government and yes some people really need help ....where I live I see a lot of people taking advantage of the government.....that’s it and it pisses me off....and yes they do have things better then what I have becuase of it ..... again! Not all!!!

Last edited:
Haha, wow, there's just SO much here. What are you searching for here exactly? To be determined ""The Winner"" in this debate? Ipsy flys off some times, we all know that, but both you and I REALLY knew what he was talking about. You just picked a fight for fun and to look smart. And when you were challenged, you threw out "I went to Duke". You keep saying "I got pissed at you." No. I just made a comment, just like you do. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you didn't fully understand where Ipsy was going. In you're wrap up, you seem to be leading me into saying something like , hey man, I'm just quick to "go" and you were right. Nice lead. Fail, but nice lead. We can disagree and be friends, that's just like your underwear, it's up to ya. And I can laugh things off, and often do. I mean, this debate right here is pretty lame all the way around anyway but you keep throwing kindling in and it's burning great. We seem to be shifting towards glorifying Obama with undertones which will just end in a putrid dumpster fire, much like his term , and a mod lock. So I'll leave this thread to you and Oh Canada. Smoke'em if ya got'em.
Exactly....?

I am searching for nothing except "Yeah, we should avoid going along with giant blanket statements about fellow Americans, especially if they don't reflect the truth," and that people learn a bit. I don't care at all about being an internet message board winner or loser, and no, I didn't pick a fight with IPSYCH to look smart; I thought he was throwing out this really random big damning statement that didn't really reflect reality, and so I responded.

As for me mentioning that I went to Duke... if you don't want people to talk about being smart, then just don't "be nice" and suggest they are dumb. You taking umbrage with that is odd, given that you were the only one here throwing out who was dumb or not, AND we are on a Duke forum. That's it.

At the end, I just meant that you were coming in seemingly with both barrels blazing, and I wasn't sure if you are the type to stick to the "fight!" guns, or if you are the type who can take a step back and laugh it over. I always figured you to be more the latter.

And this has nothing to do with Obama. I brought up Reagan only after QC mentioned a certain president, which felt like the start of some OBAMAPHONE nonsense:)

The last bit... well, that I can support;)

To try to make this as clear as possible as I can I will just say yes people take adavantage of the government

Agreed!

and yes some people really need help ....

Agreed!

where I live I see a lot of people taking advantage of the government.....that’s it and it pisses me off....and yes they do have things better then what I have becuase of it

I'm sorry to hear that. I think people on various welfare systems being better off than people who are NOT on welfare is probably statistically pretty rare. BTW, where DO you live?

..... again! Not all!!!

Good, and agreed.

I am searching for nothing except "Yeah, we should avoid going along with giant blanket statements about fellow Americans, especially if they don't reflect the truth," and that people learn a bit. I don't care at all about being an internet message board winner or loser, and no, I didn't pick a fight with IPSYCH to look smart; I thought he was throwing out this really random big damning statement that didn't really reflect reality, and so I responded.

As for me mentioning that I went to Duke... if you don't want people to talk about being smart, then just don't "be nice" and suggest they are dumb. You taking umbrage with that is odd, given that you were the only one here throwing out who was dumb or not, AND we are on a Duke forum. That's it.

At the end, I just meant that you were coming in seemingly with both barrels blazing, and I wasn't sure if you are the type to stick to the "fight!" guns, or if you are the type who can take a step back and laugh it over. I always figured you to be more the latter.

And this has nothing to do with Obama. I brought up Reagan only after QC mentioned a certain president, which felt like the start of some OBAMAPHONE nonsense:)

That’s your problem ...stop assuming everything haha

I don’t wanna stir up this message board anymore ... I will keep my randomness to myself from now on ...case closed :)

At what point in my post did I mention obama? I honestly didn’t know which president she was talking about and she didn’t say by name. Maybe she wasn’t at liberty to say? Who knows? If it started with Reagan then cool. I was simply giving the conversation I had about the service fund. It’s only a few dollars a month, but I still don’t want to pay it. Btw......I didn’t go to Duke, but I DID stay at a holiday inn express.

At what point in my post did I mention obama? I honestly didn’t know which president she was talking about and she didn’t say by name. Maybe she wasn’t at liberty to say? Who knows? If it started with Reagan then cool. I was simply giving the conversation I had about the service fund. It’s only a few dollars a month, but I still don’t want to pay it. Btw......I didn’t go to Duke, but I DID stay at a holiday inn express.

I didn't mention Obama either. Could totally have not been your intent. I know the "Obamaphone" thing is a pretty common talking point that people get upset about, and given that we were talking about a supposed government program where phone companies are required by the government to charge more because poor people need a cell phone as required by a certain president... well, that's exactly what people said Obamaphones were:)

Yep, it started with Reagan. I didn't know that until I looked it up.

You don't have to want to pay. As Bobby Brown would say, that's your prerogative:)

And not everyone went to Duke. Not every smart person went to Duke. My only point was that I myself am not dumb, and the fact that I went to the school we are all big fans of is a simple enough sign :)

I didn't mention Obama either. Could totally have not been your intent. I know the "Obamaphone" thing is a pretty common talking point that people get upset about, and given that we were talking about a supposed government program where phone companies are required by the government to charge more because poor people need a cell phone as required by a certain president... well, that's exactly what people said Obamaphones were:)

Yep, it started with Reagan. I didn't know that until I looked it up.

You don't have to want to pay. As Bobby Brown would say, that's your prerogative:)

And not everyone went to Duke. Not every smart person went to Duke. My only point was that I myself am not dumb, and the fact that I went to the school we are all big fans of is a simple enough sign :)
And I too my friend am not dumb. I didn’t go to Duke. I went to Western Carolina University, and have done fairly well.

And I too my friend am not dumb. I didn’t go to Duke. I went to Western Carolina University, and have done fairly well.

Good! Lots of smart people went to lots of colleges. Some super smart people didn't even go to college at all... some never had the opportunity, some went on to do other things... there are all sorts of paths that people take in life.

If you're a fan of being able to do whatever the hell you want in your own house, you should know that congress passed the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act of 2017. It had pretty widespread support, from both parties. Basically, it reduced the tax burden on the first so many barrels of production to allow craft brewers (and distillers and winemakers) to be more competitive in the market.
A 2015 version of the same bill, that had similar support (based on over half of both houses signed on as cosponsors), had a provision that would have decriminalized home distillation. Under federal law, currently, you can make beer at home, you can make wine at home, but not spirits. It is treated as evading taxes because the feds want an excise tax on the distilled liquor. Stupid. So for some reason they removed this provision from the 2015 version to the 2017 version.
I'm pretty sure "craft beverage modernization" should include eliminating Prohibition era restrictions on moonshine for personal consumption. I've already contacted my senators to point this out.
(for comparison, Canada allows homebrewing and doesn't allow moonshine - same as here)

If you're a fan of being able to do whatever the hell you want in your own house, you should know that congress passed the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act of 2017. It had pretty widespread support, from both parties. Basically, it reduced the tax burden on the first so many barrels of production to allow craft brewers (and distillers and winemakers) to be more competitive in the market.
A 2015 version of the same bill, that had similar support (based on over half of both houses signed on as cosponsors), had a provision that would have decriminalized home distillation. Under federal law, currently, you can make beer at home, you can make wine at home, but not spirits. It is treated as evading taxes because the feds want an excise tax on the distilled liquor. Stupid. So for some reason they removed this provision from the 2015 version to the 2017 version.
I'm pretty sure "craft beverage modernization" should include eliminating Prohibition era restrictions on moonshine for personal consumption. I've already contacted my senators to point this out.
(for comparison, Canada allows homebrewing and doesn't allow moonshine - same as here)
I really like this guy a lot. Seems to be very knowledgeable smart guy. Anything he says I just nod. Lmao

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT