ADVERTISEMENT

Duke injuries that prevented them from winning the NCAA

CousinofSparty

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Apr 15, 2005
I'm doing a study to determine which programs were most affected by key injuries either during the season or during the tourney from 2000 onward.
Any feedback here would be appreciated.
Thanks

The data shows that every team's fans think their team was effected the most. We do seem to have a lot. Even when we won we had injuries but got healthy at the right time. Boozer in 01. Kelly in 2013. Zion, cam a few years back. Amile in 2016. Tatum his year.

Last edited:
Dunleavy (Mono) 2000
Shav Randolph 2003
Demarcus Nelson 2006
Kyrie Irving. 2011.
Giles, Tatum, half the team. 2017?
Zion, Tre Jones, Reddish, etc 2019

Reactions: HuffyJB
We were pretty healthy in 2015
I think Winslow had a sprained ankle early on.

15 was very banged up, but all guys were able to continue to contribute at high level with minimal time lost. Justice ribs, Quinn and Matt Jones sprained ankles, and a couple others, I think.
Wasn't there a game where we could barely field a team that year towards the end of the season? Weren't we really strapped in one of the UNC games?

Reactions: ceilo77
15 was very banged up, but all guys were able to continue to contribute at high level with minimal time lost. Justice ribs, Quinn and Matt Jones sprained ankles, and a couple others, I think.
Wasn't there a game where we could barely field a team that year towards the end of the season? Weren't we really strapped in one of the UNC games?
The UNC game it was in '16. Thornton made that block and we beat a unc team we had no business beating in Chapel Hill.

Considering that Coach K thought the 2011 team had a chance of going undefeated, I will always feel that Kyrie's injury directly cost us the championship.

I have always been a little surprised at the discussion over K brining Kyrie back in the NCAA Tournament. To me, it seems like an absolute no-brainer: if you have a guy that skilled who is healthy, he needs to play. If there is a "what if" in relation to leaving him out due to chemistry/rotation concerns, that pales in comparison to the "what if" that would exist if Duke lost to Arizona and he was healthy enough to play and didn't. The same people that contend he threw the chemistry off would likely be losing their minds if we had that bullet and lost without firing it.

I agree you have to bring Kyrie back, but also think he threw off the chemistry of the team, who were playing very well at the time. Maybe bring him off the bench. Not sure what the answer is.

I agree you have to bring Kyrie back, but also think he threw off the chemistry of the team, who were playing very well at the time. Maybe bring him off the bench. Not sure what the answer is.
I can't remember if he came off the bench against Arizona in the S16 or not. I know he did in the first two games - I was at them in Charlotte, which included a squeaker over Michigan.

Reactions: christophero
Nolan Smith's game was thrown off after Kyrie came back because Nolan had become The Man while Kyrie was out.

Kyrie was a generational talent in college (in my opinion equal to Zion) so he had to play. If he had never gotten injured he and Nolan would have learned to play together (as they did the first month of the season) and the team would have continued to be dominant.

I can't remember if he came off the bench against Arizona in the S16 or not. I know he did in the first two games - I was at them in Charlotte, which included a squeaker over Michigan.
I remember us barely beating Michigan. We just did not look good in the tournament. I remember Kyrie playing most of the game against Arizona. We ran into a buzzsaw, we had no one who could guard Williams.

I remember us barely beating Michigan. We just did not look good in the tournament. I remember Kyrie playing most of the game against Arizona. We ran into a buzzsaw, we had no one who could guard Williams.
He was on another planet that game. He never played that well before or since.

Nolan Smith's game was thrown off after Kyrie came back because Nolan had become The Man while Kyrie was out.

Kyrie was a generational talent in college (in my opinion equal to Zion) so he had to play. If he had never gotten injured he and Nolan would have learned to play together (as they did the first month of the season) and the team would have continued to be dominant.
That was ultimately the problem: they never got the chance to develop that collective identity.

Arizona also had one of those games where everything they through up went in.

Duhon's rib injury. Was that 04?
ACC Tourny final against Maryland. Slammed into a camera dock. Duke was going for their sixth ACCT championship in a row. They proceeded to win the next two, so if they had gotten that one it could have been eight in a row.

2000, 2011, and 2017. Specifically the 2011 team. I really feel Kyrie would’ve won NPY and we would’ve cut down the nets had he played that season.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Maybe, but the Zion team looked like world beaters early on and ended on a down note, even with Zion. A lot can happen in a season.

2000, 2011, and 2017. Specifically the 2011 team. I really feel Kyrie would’ve won NPY and we would’ve cut down the nets had he played that season.

Yep. Kyrie was an incredibly unfortunate one for you guys. He was on another level for a college player. PGs are tough to lose. Marshall's wrist injury against Creighton crippled us.

What is this thread about? SMH. They just can't help it can they? They are tar heel fans. It's their nature. Bless their hearts. OFC
Marshall finished his illustrious playing career with the Agua Caliente Clippers. Not sure what happened with Kyrie. Is he playing overseas?

Was Marshall the one someone once contended would be a top 50 all-time NBA player? An absolute THR Hall of Famer.

Reactions: skysdad
Was Marshall the one someone once contended would be a top 50 all-time NBA player? An absolute THR Hall of Famer

For sure. That was so stupid that it got me going on all the sarcastic post about every heel a top 50 NBA player . If marshall why not anyone. For some reason I thought it was a poster named "smooth as butter" but not sure. OFC

Last edited:
True. And while I certainly didn't wish injury upon him, after what happened with Kyrie, I had no sympathy for y'all. Just being honest.
On the other side of things I feel like when boozer went down temporarily in 01 and Casey sanders had to step up it galvanized the team that year and helped light a fire under them

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT