ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Great news about Howard and Dalmolin. I don’t recall his name being called during the Blue-White scrimmage - did he play?

So, Dalmolin ... was at Duke but not on the team in the spring. He wasn't in the portal, just was going through school. He's dealt with injuries -- playing through and missing games -- for a lot of the last two seasons, and when a guy like that walks through Senior Day and doesn't go through the portal, it's a pretty clear indication he's retired from football.

But after meeting with Manny and the staff, he's going to use his final season of eligibility.

Quinton withdraws his name from the portal. Per an insider on another board they don't think he is coming back to football however. Also Wall and Fisher-Smith to NC Central to play.

okay latest update on OL
OT
bruno fina ot 6'5'' 300lbs transfer from ucla
zachary franks ot 6'6'' 315lbs transfer from northwestern
james pogoreic ot 6'8'' 328lbs transfer from stanford
micah sahakian ot 6'6'' 328lbs transfer from cornell (out for season with leg injury)
brian parker ot 6'5'' 300lbs soph
jack small ot 6'5'' 285lbs incoming freshman
jack purcell ot 6'5'' 305lbs transfer from penn (non scholly)

if micah wasnt hurt i think we would be set but since he is i think we need one more tackle

IOL
mike barr iol 6'4'' 306lbs transfer from lafayette
eric schon 6'3'' 311lbs iol transfer from holy cross
matt maycraft iol 6'3'' 302lbs soph
reagan mccranie iol 6'2'' 308lbs red shirt frosh
justin pickett iol 6'7'' 317lbs senior
gemeyl allen iol 6'3'' 305lbs incoming freshman
bradley smith iol 6'3'' 290lbs incoming freshman
will seller iol 6'4'' 290lbs transfer from penn (non scholly)

would like at least one more with experience here if not two

by the way i know people keep stressing out about the transfers but do we realize that we already have 13 that have committed on coming to duke this year plus 4 that have withdrawn their names from the portal? we have about 5 spots left so i hope they take their time and bring in quality players.
Thank you for the great reporting @surfdevil , as this is tremendous news!!!

It's up on on3.com as well!!

OFC

so i dont think there is that big off a difference anymore. if you look at college football last year the P5 rosters were littered with ''small'' school transfers. i would rather have a fifth year senior from a small school over a young high school recruit most every day of the week. to me, experience tops young undeveloped talent. i think a blend of both is best these days. i still remember duke losing to mercer in the first round of the ncaa tourney. not one of their players was good enough to make the duke roster but they had 7 seniors who had played together for years and they kicked our ass. that is when my views changed. experience trumped young undeveloped talent.
truthfully if micah wasnt hurt i think he would be one of the starting OT'S over the P5 guys. maybe Conor can pitch in on this discussion. it is a really good question by Liftee

Last edited:
My contribution would be:

The college football facilities arms race of the 2000s/2010s ended with NIL. Instead of asking major donors to give to a booster club so they can have things like nap pods in locker rooms, they're asking them to pour that money into a collective. It is what it is; I think the collective side of NIL is temporary, but that's aside from the point here.

Programs like Duke, that aren't going to bring in freshmen classes with tons of immediate contributors, should still heavily invest in facility upgrades. Because when you can delve into the G5 or FCS level and find grown men, put them in -- *theoretically* -- better facilities and give them better resources than they've had, they're going to thrive.

That's why Duke has had so much success with Ivy Leaguers and others from lower levels (Darius Joiner springs to mind, probably blanking on a few others).

Great comments, both Surf and Conor. I like to think that Duke's Strength and Conditioning Coach is one of the best out there, and he can make a difference in the next 3 months. Wish he had more time with these guys.
The bolded part is why it's important to get December transfers enrolled for the spring semester.

But when you've got a new coach, he's got to hire a staff, which winds up being in the neighborhood of 100 positions. The time crunch doesn't leave much room for recruiting transfers before classes start about a week into January.

Well now this is interesting! I don’t often root for Notre Dame, but i surely will for this game. And if they win, I’ll consider it one of Riley’s best wins for Duke!

Jeffrey that's the first time I have listened to Elmo since his "midnite skip town." I detest the man now, and he's nothing but a fast talking, street smart liar and sneak.

I cannot profess much admiration for Riley Leonard either. He seemed like the TRUE BLUE DEVIL, Shane Battier Duke lifer.

I know this will not be popular take, but Riley you are no Sam Hartman. Your deep ball needs work, and you'll only go as far as your legs take you. I spotted a change in Riley the minute the camera panned on him late in the Clemson game last year.

Duke was up big and Riley jokingly (I suppose) appealed to a professor for more time on an assignment. He was getting the big head. No free lunches here Riley. Duke vs Texas A&M, a pre-game hand shake of Elmo and Leonard?? Perish the thought. Hope both lose...

Just wait til we play the Triangle area pinball RB Jordan Waters going to NC State. I will have a message for him too, joining an in-conference arch rival.

Sorry for whomever this offends. I simply LOVE DUKE FOOTBALL, a 55 year plus passion!!

OFC

Jeffrey that's the first time I have listened to Elmo since his "midnite skip town." I detest the man now, and he's nothing but a fast talking, street smart liar and sneak.

I cannot profess much admiration for Riley Leonard either. He seemed like the TRUE BLUE DEVIL, Shane Battier Duke lifer.

I know this will not be popular take, but Riley you are no Sam Hartman. Your deep ball needs work, and you'll only go as far as your legs take you. I spotted a change in Riley the minute the camera panned on him late in the Clemson game last year.

Duke was up big and Riley jokingly (I suppose) appealed to a professor for more time on an assignment. He was getting the big head. No free lunches here Riley. Duke vs Texas A&M, a pre-game hand shake of Elmo and Leonard?? Perish the thought. Hope both lose...

Just wait til we play the Triangle area pinball RB Jordan Waters going to NC State. I will have a message for him too, joining an in-conference arch rival.

Sorry for whomever this offends. I simply LOVE DUKE FOOTBALL, a 55 year plus passion!!

OFC
Well said, Hart. Elmo and Riley are both snakes. Given their selfishness and deception, I am glad they are gone and no longer polluting Duke's locker room. On the other hand, Jerry Seinfeld's commencment speech warmly displayed his affection for his daughter's university and explained why team members, students, and alumni should be thankful for the priveledge of attending Duke. OFC

I have mixed feelings about both the coach who left us and Riley.

They did put Duke on the map last year and took Duke Football to levels it has not seen before. I mean, Gameday! What a day that was!

I feel like Riley had to chase his dream and he gave us two great seasons. I expected him to leave last year anyhow and it doesn't matter much to me which pro team he went to. Maybe I would be sadder if we didn't have at least two QB's to take his place.

What I didn't like about What's his name the Coach leaving is the way he did it. Acting like he loved Duke and would never leave, and then leaving in the middle of the night. He could have given a "silent commitment" to A & M but stayed with the team through the bowl game. I guess that's not how it works anymore.

I also note that most of the players who got us to where we were last year were Cut recruits, plus the really good transfers we got. True, they were coached up a lot since Cut's coaching days, but other than memories and a great strength coach, we weren't left with a lot from That Guy's two year visit.

Sorry I can't bring myself to say his name, similar to that basketball player who skyped Coach K to play with the Cheats, whose name will not be mentioned.

Reactions: surfdevil
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT