ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

So we have some extra scholarships available, correct? Is it likely these get filled?

Cam Smith
ratings
247 #152 overall in nation #19 lb in nation 90 4star rating
on3 #126 overall in nation #16 lb in nation 93 4star rating
espn #193 overall in nation 81 4star
all the other sited list him as a LB
huge pickup despite the rivals ranking.
offers include duke, boston college, michigan, penn st, pitt, rutgers, syracuse, a$m, wva

What ever happened to constipatedcritic?

Confused Looking For GIF by Looney Tunes

Manny is Rollin!!!

OFC

It's pretty obvious that our 2024 class is on the weak side. I think I saw where it's rated about 82nd in the country while usually we are around 40-50th. That undoubtedly is because of the coaching turnover. I don't know how much of this can be made up through the remaining portal. So next year will be a crucial year for Coach D to make up for this somewhat weaker class. I'm confident he can do it though.

One of the reasons it is weaker is the fact that we only signed 16 in the fall. You look at most teams and they signed 24-28 players. We lost the two Oline guys and that really hurt. I am meh about the QB because on another board one of the posters is an Indiana high school coach and said that when his team played Cherry it was his team that was really good and he was only okay. We have 6-7 spots open right now and we will fill them with portal guys. Don't forget after spring practice there is a whole new wave of kids transferring.

Last edited:
Thank you Surf. I think we did fine with the "exchange" of QBs between Murphy and Cherry since Grayson Loftis looks good also. We do need to recruit at least one, perhaps two, in 2025.

Other people not on this board who are locked in with Duke football (not necessarily insiders but who hear things) feel that Murphy may be a really big time player. Hope we put together the line and receivers to complement him.

i agree on the qb but duke is in a tough spot to ''sell'' come to duke this year. we have two sophmores and a redshirt sophmore all with playing time under their belt for this year. hard to sell a path forward to a recruit or a transfer right now.

FYI there is a great youtube video from durham devils club where they have an hour long interview with Manny. i really recommend you watch it. lots of good info.

Because I probably won't remember tonight ...

If the Chiefs win, Noah Gray will become the second former Duke player to win two Super Bowls. The other is Bob Matheson, who was with the Dolphins for wins in Super Bowls 7 and 8.
Great post!

Bob played at Duke mid 60s, and was All-America @ LB. Named of Course for the "53 Defense"(Bob's jersey number) on Super Bowl winning Dolphins.

Always loved Noah at Duke. Should probably have thrown to him DOWNFIELD a little more (Cut loved those little Square Out throws). I think a coach like Spurrier could have squeezed even more out of the talented Gray.

OFC

Hard to believe that Kittle was ignored last night because of the presence of Kelce, since Kittle is one of the very best tight ends in the business.

Great for Noah Gray though!

I don't know what that means but they handled Kittle well and held him to 2 catches for 4 yards so very little impact on the game. Kelce had 9 for 93 so they should have focused on him. FYI Noah had 2 for 22 yards.

I simply meant that Kittle is really good too but last night it was all about Kelce.

Given the new coaching staff and player departures, really hard to predict Duke's likely record next year. We should win the first 4 games, Wake, and perhaps Va Tech and Ga Tech. The only game I see us as having practically no chance of winning is Free Shoes U. We will probably be underdogs in the rest, maybe winning 1 or 2. Best Guess at this point then is 7 - 5. Or 8 - 4 if we are lucky with no key injuries. Glass half full.

OFC

I don't know who these people are in this podcast, but all they wanted to talk about it seems was why they bet on the wrong team in the Bowl game.

Surprised that Conor was less than excited about Duke's prospects going forward. Conor you didn't really say anything nice about Coach Diaz other than "Duke got a name coach". Is that it? And then you criticize bringing in a potentially game changing QB because you are worried about Loftis who showed some promise but is still young and perhaps limited athletically.

I do agree that the Northwestern game will be an early indicator of the team. However, I feel like we don't know what the team we field in August will look like yet.

Why is that surprising? I've been fairly transparent that I think it's a fine hire. Wrote a column that laid that out.

If you wanted me to tell them, "Manny Diaz is an amazing hire who's going to have Duke competing for ACC championships in a league that, for the time being has FSU and Clemson in it" ... that's just not me.

I'm not going to rain on a parade before he coaches a game, either. He very well could have become a better coach in the last two years, to Duke's benefit.

To your own point: We don't know what Duke will look like next season.

As far as the first point, I can't control what podcast hosts want to talk about on their own podcast.

Why is that surprising? I've been fairly transparent that I think it's a fine hire. Wrote a column that laid that out.

If you wanted me to tell them, "Manny Diaz is an amazing hire who's going to have Duke competing for ACC championships in a league that, for the time being has FSU and Clemson in it" ... that's just not me.

I'm not going to rain on a parade before he coaches a game, either. He very well could have become a better coach in the last two years, to Duke's benefit.

To your own point: We don't know what Duke will look like next season.

As far as the first point, I can't control what podcast hosts want to talk about on their own podcast.

Conor, I understand you don't control what the podcast people want to talk about. Maybe that's what draws listeners, them talking about who they bet on.

That's on me if I don't remember your endorsement of Manny Diaz. I was commenting on your lack of enthusiasm in this particular podcast. Thank you for clearing that up.

There is absolutely nothing better than clicking on this forum in the morning and seeing Football News and more importantly, a report by Surf that the Duke Gang signed a new player!

This guy is a big big boy, started for NW last year, and of course is Academic All Big Ten. Keep 'em coming!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT