ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

I think it’s a lot easier to get into FG position than it is to mount a drive for a TD. A turnover, a penalty or 2, a shanked punt - even one halfway decent run or pass. These could all get us in FG position, and Todd has looked good lately. But as much as anything, the shift of momentum was palpable. But as kingbluedevil said, FSU may still have gone on to win the game. And of course if we had made it on 4th down, I’d be applauding the decision. Well, maybe.
We differ, and that's why we have message boards. Again, using your OWN ORIGINAL LOGIC, it would have been easier for us to gain three yards under Henry. This is opposed to leading a drive into FG range in A SERIES OF PLAYS led by Belin.

Btw, as good as Todd was last nite, there would have been much more pressure to connect on such a kick.

"Well maybe," you'd be happy had we made it on 4th down and gone up 27-17?? Lol, don't kid us Jeffrey, you'd have been ecstatic.

OFC

Reactions: jeffrey236
We differ, and that's why we have message boards. Again, using your OWN ORIGINAL LOGIC, it would have been easier for us to gain three yards under Henry. This is opposed to leading a drive into FG range in A SERIES OF PLAYS led by Belin.

Btw, as good as Todd was last nite, there would have been much more pressure to connect on such a kick.

"Well maybe," you'd be happy had we made it on 4th down and gone up 27-17?? Lol, don't kid us Jeffrey, you'd have been ecstatic.

OFC
Can't overstate how different of a game this would've been with a touchdown.

Everything about how Duke has played in 20 games under Elko has been, "if they're up 2 scores in the 4th quarter, their defense and run game is going to make them really hard to beat."

Never want to get bogged in hypotheticals for too long, but Belin hitting Calhoun in the back of the end zone would've changed everything.

New AP poll is out and now we are ranked #20. I didn't figure we would fall to far after we gave the Noles such a strong game for 3 quarters!! GO DUKE!!!

OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
my take on fg vs going for td
if you knew you wanted a td why do you run 3 straight up the middle and then put all the pressure on the just in the game qb on 4th down. as far as i am concerned that is crappy play calling by johns and elko. i dont mind the td try but why the gut runs beforehand? i think that series was as stupid as the jump pass,

Disappointed but proud of our team... the defense played magnificent most of the game but got wore out towards the end. Plus Travis just got into another gear and I can't discount that. We had a hobbled qb who was hurt once more. Henry may prove to be the guy down the road but I was worried after the State game about how he would react if playing in this environment.

Regardless we still have a chance to finish well against a schedule that quite frankly is much stronger than last year. Duke football is on the rise and the nation knows not to look at us as same ole Duke anymore.

One factor which hurts Duke offensively is the lack of any real consistency on long passes. No criticism of Riley intended, but the long pass really is not a weapon for him(Perhaps he's hurt by absence of breakaway threat Eli Pancol???).Henry did hit Calhoun on a beautiful longball vs State, but he still seems a bit raw.

Riley in addition to being a great runner(when he's healthy), is quite effective generally, in his short and medium throws. Whatever, Riley is our leader and I only hope we can at least get him as healthy for Louisville, as he was for FSU. Riley Leonard is a LEADER!! Any shortcomings in his game are countered by his INTENSE DESIRE to WIN!!

OBVIOUSLY I don't want to see him play hurt, and staff will have to make the decision. I certainly hope we can have Belin more prepared for next week if he's the likely option. I would suspect @ConorONeill to tell us tomorrow Riley is "day-to-day," per Elko's presser. (Btw, Louisville opened as a 4.5 point favorite).

Conor, speaking of injuries, why has Nicky Dalmolin missed last two weeks?? Also, is it true Myles Jones made the trip last nite(our tallest db), but did not dress out??

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: surfdevil
We're all day-to-day, @hart2chesson -- just some more than others, haha.

Nicky has a knee injury. He's not done for the year (as Elko would've announced it), but he's hobbled.

Myles Jones being out was a bit of a surprise to me, but I wasn't down there. Just heard about it while Pitt was busy doing 3-4 of the dumbest things I've seen to lose a game.

Nicky has a knee injury. He's not done for the year (as Elko would've announced it), but he's hobbled.

Myles Jones being out was a bit of a surprise to me, but I wasn't down there. Just heard about it while Pitt was busy doing 3-4 of the dumbest things I've seen to lose a game.
Pitt did a colossal choke for sure!!! OFC

If the quarterback doesn't slide game is over. That was mistake you can't make

If they don't commit a hold earlier on that possession, WF doesn't have a timeout ...

If their DB doesn't lose his mind and cost them 23ish yards of field position after the INT, they're not punting from inside their 20 ...

If their punter has better than a 32-yard punt, WF isn't starting inside their 50 ...

The QB sliding there was the dumbest thing they did but don't absolve the rest of the mistakes. Don't get me wrong, have nothing against Wake winning; just that Pitt lost that game a lot more than Wake won it.

I am worried Riley will be hampered the rest of the season. Having suffered an ankle injury my senior year in high school, I came back too early and wasn't well into two months after the season ended.

That play where Duke was going for it on 4th down and the ref allowed Fl. State to get its regular defense back on the field was a key play. If Duke is allowed to run the play against the punt return team, I have to believe we get the first down and have a drive going in Fl. State territory. But I guess you have to overcome those kind of bad breaks to win a big game on the road.

The defense better bring its A game vs. Louisville.

Watching Get Up on ESPN this am and they have given the catch of the week to Jake Bobo in the corner of the end zone for a Seahawks TD. Man I liked him. We just never used him well
I wish Elko had him last year!! Kevin Johns would have used the heck out of Bobo. Surf, his catch was unbelievable. OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
Thanks Conor, sad to see the same movie over again. By the same token, I suppose we're fortunate Conor isn't shut down for the year.

Let me take this one step further, understanding you have no crystal ball.Conor what are your own thoughts on Riley's availability Saturday? I tend to think Riley will have to be held down not to play.

Reactions: Liftee
Just so hard to tell, @hart2chesson. Did the ankle worsen because of the hit? Did it swell up even worse in the 24 hours after the game? Was he fine, and did Elko err too far on the side of caution?

Only thing I know for sure is agreement that he'll do whatever he can to play -- just like he did to play last weekend.

I am worried Riley will be hampered the rest of the season. Having suffered an ankle injury my senior year in high school, I came back too early and wasn't well into two months after the season ended.

That play where Duke was going for it on 4th down and the ref allowed Fl. State to get its regular defense back on the field was a key play. If Duke is allowed to run the play against the punt return team, I have to believe we get the first down and have a drive going in Fl. State territory. But I guess you have to overcome those kind of bad breaks to win a big game on the road.

The defense better bring its A game vs. Louisville.
Funny you should mention the refs. They were doing everything they could to allow FSU to snap it right before half. Luckily there was a review and they had to have a mandatory 10 second run off. And then the PI in the end zone that 1. Wasn't PI and 2. Was uncatchable anyways. Three very curious happenings ..

Just so hard to tell, @hart2chesson. Did the ankle worsen because of the hit? Did it swell up even worse in the 24 hours after the game? Was he fine, and did Elko err too far on the side of caution?

Only thing I know for sure is agreement that he'll do whatever he can to play -- just like he did to play last weekend.
Great answer my friend, and I appreciate your insight!! Watching you on ACC PM right now as matter of fact.

OFC

That was a fun chat.
Very Cool!! I agree with your comment reference it only helps Riley's cause he has a week to lobby Elko!! Lol...

As you said on the show, Leonard's ankle isn't going to heal until after the season is over. That will allow for the extended rest for the troublesome high sprain. Thanks again Conor!!

OFC

By the way, I went to the Giants/Commanders game yesterday. Crowder (still) looks good returning punts. Almost broke one and consistently got positive yardage. It was nice seeing him play.

By the way, I went to the Giants/Commanders game yesterday. Crowder (still) looks good returning punts. Almost broke one and consistently got positive yardage. It was nice seeing him play.
I love Crowder!!! So glad you got a chance to see him play in person Lift. I may get killed for saying this, but I always liked Commanders qb Sam Howell too. He wasn't a prima donna (Maye is), and didn't seem like the typical arrogant and immature UNC player. Also like Washington Coach Ron Rivera, still on the sidelines and battling cancer. OFC

Howell was not good but I didn't think the Wash. offensive coordinator did much to help him.

Now back to Duke football.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Watching Get Up on ESPN this am and they have given the catch of the week to Jake Bobo in the corner of the end zone for a Seahawks TD. Man I liked him. We just never used him well
Maybe not. But Bobo had 74 catches for 794 yards in his final season at Duke and that was with Gunnar Holmberg throwing to him. Seems like the coaches knew who he was.

But yes, I wish he wouldn't have pulled the trigger on entering the portal so soon. He could have been a killer last season.

Alas and alack. We'll never know.

Wow, Plummer has very quietly put up some solid numbers at qb. Jordan's status is huge obviously, but Louisville will still be a handful without him. Their defense overall, is quite sound (exception would be the Pitt game).

We will see a very solid football team in the Cardinals Saturday afternoon. Two weeks to stew over a blowout loss to Pitt, will have them both angry and anxious to hit someone else.

That's OK, Louisville better bring it. Regardless, The Boys From Durham are going to find a way to win Saturday. Duke is ready to put the nightmarish 4th quarter @ Tallahassee behind it!! Let's hit 'em in the mouth fellas!!!

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT