ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone else not watch ANY NCAA b-ball other than Duke games?

Buzzooka Joe

Cameron Crazy
Feb 20, 2006
I have watched basically every second of Duke basketball the last 10 years, and most of the games the 10 years before that.. But I cannot watch non-Duke games, and I’ve tried..

This doesn’t mean I’ve NEVER watched other games.. but it is very few and far between.. if I’m changing channels and there’s a close game on, I’ll watch.. or I may catch the first few minutes of a game that follows our games.. but other than that, I have no interest in watching other teams.. I do like watching NBA post-season games and even several regular season games if 2 great teams are playing (or at least if some stars or ex-dukies are playing)..

Anybody else like this? Those of you that watch a lot of college hoops, how do you get into non-Duke games? Because I’d like to get some joy out of watching other teams.

I mostly just watch Duke’s games but I’ll also watch some other ACC games mostly NC State games because I’ve always pulled for NC State after Duke since the days of Jimmy V. I’ll also watch a few non ACC games when the games are between 2 top teams. It all really depends on what else is on tv.

I never watch ANY game other than Duke basketball and Clemson football...the only exception is I will turn on a uk game if it is late and they are losing.

I won't even be watching the super bowl. My team isn't there, so I don't care what happens.

It's hard for me to watch a game if I don't really care about the outcome

Reactions: hart2chesson
I do, but I go to Vegas every year for the first weekend of the tournament to gamble more money than I probably should. So I try to see as many different teams play as possible. Usually just power 5 conference games on the big networks. My dad is even worse. He’ll look who the projected 13-15 seeds are and watch their games. Don’t know if I could do that.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Nope! I watch over 100 games in the span of a month. I've already seen UNC, Purdue, Kansas, and Gonzaga play 10+ times. I even try to go out of my way to watch some of the midmajor powers like Nevada and Buffalo (seen both play teams play 4 times). I often fast forward games to the second half, though, so if it's not competitive, I move on to the next game.

I do have a criteria that I'm looking for in the games I record. I want AT LEAST one team to have a realistic shot at the NCAAs. Needless to say, I haven't watched more than about 10 minutes of a Pac-12 game this season.

I do, but I go to Vegas every year for the first weekend of the tournament to gamble more money than I probably should. So I try to see as many different teams play as possible. Usually just power 5 conference games on the big networks. My dad is even worse. He’ll look who the projected 13-15 seeds are and watch their games. Don’t know if I could do that.

Some of the midmajor teams are fun to watch. I don't really look to watch projected 14 seeds, 15 seeds, or whatever. But I try to give quite a few midmajors a chance. Some of the midmajors (let's exclude the 3 obvious ones in Gonzaga, Nevada, and Buffalo) I enjoy seeing are San Francisco, Saint Mary's, Murray State, Lipscomb, Belmont, Utah State, Penn, UNC Greensboro, and Wofford.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
I watch as much as I can which is a lot less than I used to. Before I got married that’s about all I watched. Now I try to catch other games as I can. I used to watch almost all of Carolinas games

I watch games where there is a good chance of an upset of a top 25 team. I like watching Kentucky and I'm starting to enjoy Marquette games. I will only watch the guys down the road from Duke if there is a chance they will lose, and even then I'm afraid to jinx it.

I used to watch a lot more college basketball than I do today. The older my kids get, the less time I seem to have. I probably watch more NBA than I do college.

I don’t watch any games but Duke. I’ve got a wife who works, two small kids, a job, and a bunch of hobbies… I don’t have one second to spare for things I don’t care about.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I don't watch sports nearly so much nowadays (used to watch a ton). The Vikings have almost broke me from watching NFL football anymore.:D I am a Duke Blue Devil forever (over 50+ years of fandom), and they are the only team that I make time for in my schedule (if at all possible) to watch. Go Duke!

OFC

I always watch Duke play and if for whatever reason I miss the Duke game, I will watch it at a later time. I will watch the holes, Kansas,and UK just hoping I might watch them lose. I have a lot of hate for Maryland, but they have become so irrelevant it’s not even fun to watch them lose, but I still do enjoy it when they lose!

I don't watch sports nearly so much nowadays (used to watch a ton). The Vikings have almost broke me from watching NFL football anymore.:D I am a Duke Blue Devil forever (over 50+ years of fandom), and they are the only team that I make time for in my schedule (if at all possible) to watch. Go Duke!

OFC

I’m a sucker for having my heart ripped out....so I foolishly make time for every Vikings game.

OFC

I’m a sucker for having my heart ripped out....so I foolishly make time for every Vikings game.
I know how ya’ll feel when it comes to the NFL, as both a Redskins fan and a Panthers fan it was almost unbearable to watch both of them this season. Both of them had more problems with injuries at QB this season than I can remember in a long time. At different points in the season they both had to use their 3rd and/or 4th string QBs. The Panthers at one point during either the 15th or 16th game of the season they had McCaffrey warming up on the sidelines and were considering bringing him in at QB. We started the season out at 6-2 but ended the season at 7-9 and would’ve ended up at 6-10 if they hadn’t come alive in the final game of the season against the Saints.

No, you're just a great Vikings fan, DJ. I still watch the Vikings here and there (and I always keep track of whats going on with them), but I just don't have as much time to do everything I want to do anymore. The Duke Blue Devils and the Minnesota Vikings are my only two teams...no others, college or pro. I started pulling for the Vikes in 1967 (Bud Grant's 1st year I think)...so I've been a fan of them for a little over 50 years also. I would love for them to finally win a Super Bowl, but don't know if I have enough years left in me for that to happen. Hopefully, it will happen for you, and all the long suffering fans in Minnesota.

OFC

Reactions: dukiejay
I know how ya’ll feel when it comes to the NFL, as both a Redskins fan and a Panthers fan it was almost unbearable to watch both of them this season. Both of them had more problems with injuries at QB this season than I can remember in a long time. At different points in the season they both had to use their 3rd and/or 4th string QBs. The Panthers at one point during either the 15th or 16th game of the season they had McCaffrey warming up on the sidelines and were considering bringing him in at QB. We started the season out at 6-2 but ended the season at 7-9 and would’ve ended up at 6-10 if they hadn’t come alive in the final game of the season against the Saints.

Which hurt us in the draft too

I'm an Atlanta fan, so after that choke job they pulled a couple years ago, I am not talking any trash to you all....I also have no sympathy!!!

It's Duke and UNC for me, with the occasional high-profile national tv game or relevant ACC matchup mixed in. Or, if a top 5 team is losing in the second half. But only after the kids are in bed.

I mostly just watch Duke games but will sometimes watch N.C. State (I grew up a State fan--my father went there. Became a Duke fan pretty much the day I got my admission letter.). And will sometimes watch parts of other big games. But other than Duke I tend to watch more NBA games than college.

Don't ever watch Carolina and frankly I don't get why any Duke fan would. I mean I understand some level of interest in them as our chief rival, but if you watch them you're obviously pulling for them to lose, so you're going to end up disappointed way more often than not, so why put yourself through that?

To each his or her own I suppose...

Now that Lebron is a Laker playing games at 10:30, I've watched more non-Duke college games than ever before. I think I could speak on every relevant college team this year.

My usual routine though...check scores around 8:30 then 10:30 EST, if a blue-blood or a top 15 team is losing, I'll watch.

I mostly just watch Duke games but will sometimes watch N.C. State (I grew up a State fan--my father went there. Became a Duke fan pretty much the day I got my admission letter.). And will sometimes watch parts of other big games. But other than Duke I tend to watch more NBA games than college.

Don't ever watch Carolina and frankly I don't get why any Duke fan would. I mean I understand some level of interest in them as our chief rival, but if you watch them you're obviously pulling for them to lose, so you're going to end up disappointed way more often than not, so why put yourself through that?

To each his or her own I suppose...

Thankfully, there's a DVR. I record just about every UNC game. But I don't watch every UNC game. If it's an inferior team, I fast-forward to the second half. If it's reasonably close, I'll consider watching it. I've probably watched 10 UNC games (counting games where I watched more than 10 minutes). But if you're talking about games that I've seen from start to finish, that number dwindles to 5 (Michigan, Gonzaga, Kentucky, NC State, Louisville). So UNC is 2-3 when I watch them, not bad. I'll take it.

I admit I will watch unc cheater u just to watch them lose. I'm disappointed a lot but every now and then they get nailed and it's wonderful. I've often said it's just about as good to see them lose as see us win. Just about.
OFC

I used to watch a ton - growing up I would watch virtually all the ACC games broadcast by Raycom/Jefferson Pilot that I could get in my room with my rabbit ears. Now, with three kids and being a high school basketball coach, that ain't happening. I hardly ever get to watch even the Duke games live, I have to DVR them and catch them late. But I watch them all no matter what!

Reactions: skysdad
While mostly true, I did watch about half of the UK/KU game. Honestly, I find myself getting too invested in watching by the end of a game I am tired. Rather be outside.

I only watch Duke and the Gators if they are on.

I don't go out of my way to watch anything but Duke games. I'll flip through channels and see a game that I'll watch, but it's never the plan.

Trying to watch Arizona St and Arizona. Bill Walton pulled a Bill Walton in the 1st half. He asked the other announcer “Is Bill Rafferty still alive?”

Trying to watch Arizona St and Arizona. Bill Walton pulled a Bill Walton in the 1st half. He asked the other announcer “Is Bill Rafferty still alive?”
Trying to watch it too. Walton is terrible.

Growing up I used to watch the ACC Wednesday night game of the week, sponsored by Holly Farms. Didn't matter who was playing. Yeah, I know, I'm old.

Only Duke, besides parts of super random games that are on late, when there is nothing on.

I miss ACC Sunday night hoops!

Same here. And it's funny you say that, because within the last few weeks my wife specifically asked why that's not a thing anymore. With young kids now, it's sometimes difficult with those midday Saturday (and sometimes Sunday) games. The Sunday night games always seemed like a nice time to unwind after a weekend.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
I don’t wanna wish the season away, but dang I’m ready for some march madness. The best three weeks in sports!!

Last edited:
I am a Texas Longhorn alum (who has been a Duke fan since I was 12 years old in 1989), so I watch Texas games (painful to watch) and Duke games. I'll casually watch bits and pieces of the other top teams, but not whole games.

I pretty much only watch Duke basketball games. Will see the highlights on other teams on Sports Center but that's about it. If i can make a few home games a year and an away game at Wake/VT every now and then.. then catch the ACC Tourney when its in the Greensboro region... I call it a good year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT