ADVERTISEMENT

Devils '19 hoop class still looks quite promising!

As an outsider here, I'm trying to figure out the point you're attempting to make. Please, be explicit.

It's simple....if you are a fan of any other school than uk, you are a bandwagon fan of you didn't attend the school.......oh, and it has a "doctorate"!!! Weeeeeeee!!!!

If Little were to return for a second year, wouldn't you and some of your duke brethren make fun of it? If so, why is that something to be made fun of?
Yes we would. Because it is par for the course for UNC to keep highly ranked players in school longer than most would believe they should be. Like the football team shoe scandal - we made fun of it because, well think about the "stuff" with NCAA that's been going on for decades over there. The narrative outside of UNC fans is that UNC cheats and keeps talented players in school. It's funny (in a sad way) when it happens again (and again, and again).
(In fairness, you would make fun of us for another transfer for all the same reasons)

Yes we would. Because it is par for the course for UNC to keep highly ranked players in school longer than most would believe they should be. Like the football team shoe scandal - we made fun of it because, well think about the "stuff" with NCAA that's been going on for decades over there. The narrative outside of UNC fans is that UNC cheats and keeps talented players in school. It's funny (in a sad way) when it happens again (and again, and again).
(In fairness, you would make fun of us for another transfer for all the same reasons)

Fair response. I don't agree with the logic but I guess I understand where you're coming from. The football team selling shoes - sure, that's to be made fun of. The AFAM, again, I can see how that's to be made fun of. But a kid electing to stay in school longer shows humility, thoughtfulness, and the ability to delay gratification. How is that a bad thing? You also say:
Yes we would. Because it is par for the course for UNC to keep highly ranked players in school longer than most would believe they should be.

With all due respect, what you or anyone else thinks is the appropriate length of time a student-athlete should stay in school is completely meaningless. There is one person that makes that call - the individual player. Everyone else's opinion of it is worthless.

It quit posting......I hope it didn't get banned or something. I really want to know why you have to have attended to be a fan, and what that doctorate is doing for him???

Reactions: DukeDenver
With all due respect, what you or anyone else thinks is the appropriate length of time a student-athlete should stay in school is completely meaningless. There is one person that makes that call - the individual player. Everyone else's opinion of it is worthless.
Of course what I think (or what anyone else thinks) is worthless to the kid. And I respect Little's right to make whatever decision he feels is best for him and his future.
What I am speaking to is the more general knock on Roy as a guy who keeps players around longer than similarly ranked players at other schools. It is something that certainly gets brought up during the recruiting process (not as a positive thing for UNC) with top ranked kids, *most* of whom probably want to get the NBA ASAP. It looks bad for UNC when top talent stays in school while their peers are making money. (in the same way the transfers look bad for Duke, for instance) For that reason, I'll make fun of UNC/Roy if it happens.

Let’s get back to the 2019 recruiting thread. I’m sure Patrick can write a novel for us to dissect.
Do u think the Carter’s comments after the season as well as Duval’s might be hurting our recruiting? I didn’t really think much of Duval’s comments at all other than he was just simply going to go pro no matter what after one year of college.

Sorry it got banned

His participation was short-lived and embarrassingly stupid. What on earth motivates people to quite literally go out of their way just to look like an idiot? Oh well, sayonara.

Let’s get back to the 2019 recruiting thread. I’m sure Patrick can write a novel for us to dissect.
Ahahahahahaha post of the year? Month? Week? I don’t know but yea Ahahaha spit on myself when I read this..tobacco went flying

Last edited:
Maybe it’s only funny to me but I think I broke my like button:rolleyes: hahaha

Last edited:
Of course what I think (or what anyone else thinks) is worthless to the kid. And I respect Little's right to make whatever decision he feels is best for him and his future.
What I am speaking to is the more general knock on Roy as a guy who keeps players around longer than similarly ranked players at other schools. It is something that certainly gets brought up during the recruiting process (not as a positive thing for UNC) with top ranked kids, *most* of whom probably want to get the NBA ASAP. It looks bad for UNC when top talent stays in school while their peers are making money. (in the same way the transfers look bad for Duke, for instance) For that reason, I'll make fun of UNC/Roy if it happens.

The bolded part is what I have a problem with. How on earth is that a "knock"? That's absurd to me. Like, I have trouble wrapping my brain around the idea that if a kid wants to stay longer in college, it's a bad thing. I mean, I think you're 100% accurate in stating that other programs use it negatively against UNC. But that should say far more about those people than it does about Roy. What have we become when a college basketball player is shit on for wanting to stay in school? My goodness...

Cool. I'll do a Cliff's Notes version.

Coach K did a miserable job of coaching for the last 3 years. We are now reaping the rewards of that. If we don't dominate this year, it will get worse.

Reactions: bluemetro
The bolded part is what I have a problem with. How on earth is that a "knock"? That's absurd to me. Like, I have trouble wrapping my brain around the idea that if a kid wants to stay longer in college, it's a bad thing. I mean, I think you're 100% accurate in stating that other programs use it negatively against UNC. But that should say far more about those people than it does about Roy. What have we become when a college basketball player is shit on for wanting to stay in school? My goodness...

Have you lived under a rock for the last 10-15 years? Or just playing the naive thing? I think duke fans would like the world where players stick for multiple years but it hasn’t been that way for 10 years plus now with the top notch talent.

It isn’t a bad thing. It can result in successful teams. but if your program conitinually has this issue or is blessed enough to have players stay longer than 1 year when they are labeled 1 and done talent given their rankings, it will hurt recruiting In the future. It is an anomaly situation that if the end game is nba then you have to questions things.

Cool. I'll do a Cliff's Notes version.

Coach K did a miserable job of coaching for the last 3 years. We are now reaping the rewards of that. If we don't dominate this year, it will get worse.
I thought K did a fantastic job with the 2016 Duke team. We lacked the talent of a lot of the other recent Duke teams, and we still got to the 2nd weekend of the tournament. If Amile didn't get injured, I think we had a chance to go even further....
"They aren't gonna get a shot off" game at UNC was a master piece by K. We were clearly outmanned, and we spread the floor and basically traded 2's for 3's.

2017 was questionable, I still think injuries were a bigger cause of harm than coaching. And yes, I do wish K did things differently this past year. Our offense should have been even better than it was.

Reactions: Duke937
Have you lived under a rock for the last 10-15 years? Or just playing the naive thing? I think duke fans would like the world where players stick for multiple years but it hasn’t been that way for 10 years plus now with the top notch talent.

It isn’t a bad thing. It can result in successful teams. but if your program conitinually has this issue or is blessed enough to have players stay longer than 1 year when they are labeled 1 and done talent given their rankings, it will hurt recruiting In the future. It is an anomaly situation that if the end game is nba then you have to questions things.

There’s obviously more than one way to skin a cat.

If K were thinking of retiring, Capel wouldn't have left. I made an argument about Bobby Hurley being the next coach, and I stand by that. But if K retired suddenly, there might be tremendous pressure to hire Capel, for a lot of reasons. Capel's best chance would be if he were currently the associate head coach at Duke. As the HC at Pitt, he's got virtually no chance if K retires in the next 2 years.
Now, if Capel KNEW that K was about to retire, and if Capel similarly KNEW that he, Capel, would not be the next HC? Then the Pitt move makes sense. But if that were the case, we'd have heard whispers.

I think Capel's transgressions at Oklahoma will keep him from ever coaching Duke. He left because he knew that, and will need to build his career elsewhere.

Lastly, Coby will not be OAD.

I've heard different. Supposedly no one impressed the former more players more a couple weekends ago than Coby White. I bet he'll at least put his name in the draft next spring.

In fact, I think a large reason Cole Anthony seems to be trending towards UNC is the potential departure of White.

Last edited:
I've heard different. Supposedly no one impressed the former more players more a couple weekends ago than Coby White. I bet he'll at least put his name in the draft next spring.

In fact, I think a large reason Cole Anthony seems to be trending towards UNC is the potential departure of White.

There's one problem with this picture and his name is Roy. Coby White will be lucky to start or log in big minutes this season. Roy will try his best to handcuff Nassir Little and Coby White to the bench and slowly increase playing time towards the end of the season. Once the season ends, Roy will give them false feedback on their draft status and recommend another season out of both. This is Roy's forte and he's great at it, don't be surprise to see Nassir Little and Coby White stick around a few years.

There's one problem with this picture and his name is Roy. Coby White will be lucky to start or log in big minutes this season. Roy will try his best to handcuff Nassir Little and Coby White to the bench and slowly increase playing time towards the end of the season. Once the season ends, Roy will give them false feedback on their draft status and recommend another season out of both. This is Roy's forte and he's great at it, don't be surprise to see Nassir Little and Coby White stick around a few years.

Can you provide a link to a story where a former player under Roy claims he was given bunk feedback? I doubt it. Can you provide a link to any former Roy player that has anything negative to say about Roy (bonus points for not using Rashad McCants).

I think it just irritates you and others that the UNC program creates an enjoyable environment where players want to stay. There is truth to your claim that Roy brings freshman along slowly. Personally, I love that. I don’t care how good they are, at UNC, they’re going to earn Roy’s trust and their playing time. Roy favors upperclassmen- you know, guys who have given more of themselves to the program than some 18 year old who just walked on campus. By now, players electing to attend UNC fully know how Roy is. So if they’re electing to play there, they’ve made the conscious decision to play under the model Roy has in place. So what’s the problem?

Reactions: ticket2ride04
No one is arguing about players liking to stay at Unc but you cannot deny that Unc is probably the only school in the country who has had top fifteen players on the country and kept them around for multiple years .Hansborough ,Barnes ,Henson and Bullock are just off the top of my head examples of this.Each of these were drafted lower than expected lower than the high school rankings would indicate. Guess the appeal of no classes free cars and ready access to drug houses are very appealing.Btw Lawson has some negative comments about Roy

No one is arguing about players liking to stay at Unc but you cannot deny that Unc is probably the only school in the country who has had top fifteen players on the country and kept them around for multiple years .Hansborough ,Barnes ,Henson and Bullock are just off the top of my head examples of this.Each of these were drafted lower than expected lower than the high school rankings would indicate. Guess the appeal of no classes free cars and ready access to drug houses are very appealing.Btw Lawson has some negative comments about Roy

I'm not denying it. Yes, it is true, UNC has been able to keep its top talent longer than many other schools. My original point was that I can't find how that's a bad thing in general. Is it bad for a player wanting to be OAD? Yes. That's why most of them choose to not attend UNC. The reputation is well known. Any top rated player attending UNC is probably more likely to entertain the idea of staying longer than one year than those that choose other schools that excel in using OAD players.

As for UNC players being drafted "lower" than expected, I'm not sure how you can claim that unless you personally know GMs that have told you as much. But even if that were true, those players made those decisions on their own volition. So maybe, the extra $1 million they would have earned on their first contract didn't mean as much to them as the opportunity to be a part of the UNC program for another year.

In short, why would any duke fan give a rip about the earning potential of UNC players?

Can you provide a link to a story where a former player under Roy claims he was given bunk feedback? I doubt it. Can you provide a link to any former Roy player that has anything negative to say about Roy (bonus points for not using Rashad McCants).

I think it just irritates you and others that the UNC program creates an enjoyable environment where players want to stay. There is truth to your claim that Roy brings freshman along slowly. Personally, I love that. I don’t care how good they are, at UNC, they’re going to earn Roy’s trust and their playing time. Roy favors upperclassmen- you know, guys who have given more of themselves to the program than some 18 year old who just walked on campus. By now, players electing to attend UNC fully know how Roy is. So if they’re electing to play there, they’ve made the conscious decision to play under the model Roy has in place. So what’s the problem?

Ok, let's play by a certain set of guidelines when viewing UNC and Roy, typical "Carolina Way". Ty Lawson has stated he didn't benefit by playing several years at UNC. We all know the multiple truth bombs Rashad McCants stated that has UNC officials/staff members and fans irritated. Oh yeah, how about Roy's "feedback" on JMM draft status when he was pretty much a top 5-10 lottery pick. How about Reggie Bullock? I could go on and on, but we all know UNC fans will ignore the truth.

I don't care what these kids get paid, they're all over paid IMO. However, if the opportunity is there to make that kind of money, I think the coaches should encourage his/her players to go after it. If you follow Roy's tactics, it's clearly he operates for his best interest.

Ok, let's play by a certain set of guidelines when viewing UNC and Roy, typical "Carolina Way". Ty Lawson has stated he didn't benefit by playing several years at UNC. We all know the multiple truth bombs Rashad McCants stated that has UNC officials/staff members and fans irritated. Oh yeah, how about Roy's "feedback" on JMM draft status when he was pretty much a top 5-10 lottery pick. How about Reggie Bullock? I could go on and on, but we all know UNC fans will ignore the truth.

Please link something - anything - that substantiates these claims. Yes, we all recognize that McAdoo could have been drafted higher after his first year. Do you really think message board posters knew the information and Roy was able to hide it from James? That's illogical. JMM made his own decision. The notion that Roy screwed a UNC legacy is ridiculous. Rashad McCants' comments have no relevancy in our discussion as they do not pertain to his feelings about Roy nor his draft status. How about Reggie Bullock? What are you alluding to when you mention his name? I've never heard a peep of negativity from Reggie about his time in CH. He left at his first opportunity - his junior year. Surely you're not suggesting he should have left after his freshman year (6 ppg, 3 rpg, 36% FG in 14 mpg) or after his sophomore year (8 ppg, 5 rpg, 43% FG in 25 mpg). As for Lawson, I've never heard about these comments. A link would be great. But if you remember, Lawson was set to enter the draft after his sophomore year before a small driving infraction (was only categorized as DUI because he was underage. His BAC was not above the threshold for DUI) blew up in the media and damaged his draft position. He then went on to be ACC POY, win a national championship, get drafted #18 and earn roughly $45 million. Since he left UNC, Roy has been very supportive of Lawson. Lawson has been around in the summers. If you could go "on and on", I'd very much like you to so I can completely dispel any other falsehoods you're posting.

UNC sucks, nobody cares about them. Can we get back to 2019 recruiting class?? I'm worried the class isn't gonna be anywhere near the standards of our past few classes.
Carey, Stewart, and/or Moore are a must at this point. And probably losing Josiah James is gonna sting too.

Reactions: Dukeprodigy22
UNC sucks, nobody cares about them. Can we get back to 2019 recruiting class?? I'm worried the class isn't gonna be anywhere near the standards of our past few classes.
Carey, Stewart, and/or Moore are a must at this point. And probably losing Josiah James is gonna sting too.

The high number of UNC related posts at this board would illustrate that many of y'all do indeed care.

But I hear you. Let's do get back on topic. What's 2019 looking like for y'all thus far?

Please link something - anything - that substantiates these claims. Yes, we all recognize that McAdoo could have been drafted higher after his first year. Do you really think message board posters knew the information and Roy was able to hide it from James? That's illogical. JMM made his own decision. The notion that Roy screwed a UNC legacy is ridiculous. Rashad McCants' comments have no relevancy in our discussion as they do not pertain to his feelings about Roy nor his draft status. How about Reggie Bullock? What are you alluding to when you mention his name? I've never heard a peep of negativity from Reggie about his time in CH. He left at his first opportunity - his junior year. Surely you're not suggesting he should have left after his freshman year (6 ppg, 3 rpg, 36% FG in 14 mpg) or after his sophomore year (8 ppg, 5 rpg, 43% FG in 25 mpg). As for Lawson, I've never heard about these comments. A link would be great. But if you remember, Lawson was set to enter the draft after his sophomore year before a small driving infraction (was only categorized as DUI because he was underage. His BAC was not above the threshold for DUI) blew up in the media and damaged his draft position. He then went on to be ACC POY, win a national championship, get drafted #18 and earn roughly $45 million. Since he left UNC, Roy has been very supportive of Lawson. Lawson has been around in the summers. If you could go "on and on", I'd very much like you to so I can completely dispel any other falsehoods you're posting.

I don’t have to post a link to support my claims (this isn’t a trial). As a matter of fact, several articles are no longer available due to it being several years ago. The fact remains, Roy has trashed many of his players in the past and if you follow college basketball like most of us do, then you will read or hear about Roy’s actions. This is no secret. You can say what you want, but it’s the truth.

Reactions: topps coach

i agree w/ you 1000%, a kid staying in school is a great thing, same as a kid realizing that he can make millions after 1 year of school and make an immediate impact on his family....both are winning decisions, and the best part is, a person can always go back to school and finish up if they desire

$1
The high number of UNC related posts at this board would illustrate that many of y'all do indeed care.

But I hear you. Let's do get back on topic. What's 2019 looking like for y'all thus far?
Dont take this the wrong way, but I can tell you truthfully with all my heart, that I couldn’t give two s**** about your program or university. The fact that you are on our board posting and us not on yours posting tells me all I need to know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT