ADVERTISEMENT

Devils '19 hoop class still looks quite promising!

Nope. I’m far from a one and done fan but it’s odd so many locks aren’t popping. Something is deff going on
What sucks about Josiah James is that he would have been a multi year guy. I think Moore will be a multi year guy also that’s if he comes, but at this rate I’m not holding my breath to it.

Reactions: pisgah101
If we get in on Jaden McDanials, it would be a good trade. And, while I like James, the fact that his perimeter shooting remains his biggest weakness, well...
I'd rather get in on guys that rising rather than treading water or falling. James is a big miss, but I'm guessing that UT said he'd be the lead guard, no matter what, and that neither Duke nor Clemson were willing to make that pledge.
I really wanted him because I thought he'd be a versatile wing player. I didn't really see him as the lead guard. But apparently that is what James sees himself as, so he went to where they'd promised him he'd be a PG. We'll see how that works out.

If he is really as good as billed, and if Duke really isn't pursuing him, there's obviously a good reason behind it. Maybe he has already told them he isn't coming to Duke no matter what, or there is some kind of baggage with him that we don't know about, or, they feel like he is already in the bag. Hard to say without being in on the conversations they've had with him, but if we really have backed off of him, I would trust that the staff has a very good reason.

Reactions: pisgah101
If he is really as good as billed, and if Duke really isn't pursuing him, there's obviously a good reason behind it. Maybe he has already told them he isn't coming to Duke no matter what, or there is some kind of baggage with him that we don't know about, or, they feel like he is already in the bag. Hard to say without being in on the conversations they've had with him, but if we really have backed off of him, I would trust that the staff has a very good reason.
We’ll get a novel soon on why Anthony isn’t coming to duke, but I agree, something maybe going on behind the scenes that none of us know about.

I think you guys still wind up with a top 5-7 class when it's all said and done between Moore, Stewart, and whatever PG you wind up landing.

Cole Anthony is a great player, but he's not going to decide anything anytime soon. He'll decide in May, based on roster situations then.
To wit, Duke has no chance if Tre Jones returns. Conversely, Duke would be a very desirable landing spot if Tre leaves. I feel like spending a lot of time trailing after him is pointless. He'll decide in May, based on the then current situations of the teams he's considering. The amount of time spent recruiting him between now and then is pointless.
Again, if he goes to college.

The amount of time spent recruiting him between now and then is pointless.
Again, if he goes to college.

The amount of time spent recruiting him absolutely matters to Cole. Coach K didn't show up to his team workout in July evaluation period 2 even after Cole tweeted about it. Cole responded by not visiting Duke when he was in the state for the CP3 camp.

And he's absolutely spending a year in college.

That’s the problem with UNC, if they have to rely on freshman, Roy is screwed. His teams aren’t good without multiple top 15 players sticking around for 3-4 years.
Is this the new hangout now? Hello to all the the former TDD guys I know and lov, er know! Is ACChoopsfan still around?

Just for the record, there was one top-15 upperclassmen in 2016. That was doubled in 2017, which I’m sure was the difference between winning 6 and winning 5. Incidentally Roy this decade hasn’t really been that much better at signing top 15 guys who become upperclassmen (K and Roy both have signed 4 such players). The difference there is Roy kept all 4 in Chapel Hill (Hicks, Jackson, Bullock, McAdoo) while K saw 3 transfer out.

But yes, to help out from the massive unfairness caused by all the wealth of experience UNC enjoyed while everyone choked on OADs, he did throw y’all a bone and get like a top 70 class a couple years back. 247 has it sandwiched between Creighton and Boston College.

The whole “experience” thing had more bite ten years ago when we were talking about awesome talent sticking around (the story at that time was Roy was seeking gifted flawed players the NBA didn’t want, Lawson was too short, Hansbrough too white, etc). When it’s borderline NBA players like Suilamon, or Kasey Hill or Hicks or any number of lower-echelon 5-stars, it doesn’t have the same pop. Mostly because recruiting rankings begin to breakdown after the top tier. It’s easier to spot a #1 then it is to tell the difference between a #15 and a #25. Roy wins with talent to be sure, but 2016-2017 wasn’t 2008-2009. Roy hasn’t gone all-in on OAD is a fair statement, but honestly no one has besides you all and Kentucky. The rest of us are just trying to muddle through in a world where over 40% of the top 5 players in the last 10 years have gone to one of those two schools.

Is this the new hangout now? Hello to all the the former TDD guys I know and lov, er know! Is ACChoopsfan still around?

Just for the record, there was one top-15 upperclassmen in 2016. That was doubled in 2017, which I’m sure was the difference between winning 6 and winning 5. Incidentally Roy this decade hasn’t really been that much better at signing top 15 guys who become upperclassmen (K and Roy both have signed 4 such players). The difference there is Roy kept all 4 in Chapel Hill (Hicks, Jackson, Bullock, McAdoo) while K saw 3 transfer out.

But yes, to help out from the massive unfairness caused by all the wealth of experience UNC enjoyed while everyone choked on OADs, he did throw y’all a bone and get like a top 70 class a couple years back. 247 has it sandwiched between Creighton and Boston College.

The whole “experience” thing had more bite ten years ago when we were talking about awesome talent sticking around (the story at that time was Roy was seeking gifted flawed players the NBA didn’t want, Lawson was too short, Hansbrough too white, etc). When it’s borderline NBA players like Suilamon, or Kasey Hill or Hicks or any number of lower-echelon 5-stars, it doesn’t have the same pop. Mostly because recruiting rankings begin to breakdown after the top tier. It’s easier to spot a #1 then it is to tell the difference between a #15 and a #25. Roy wins with talent to be sure, but 2016-2017 wasn’t 2008-2009. Roy hasn’t gone all-in on OAD is a fair statement, but honestly no one has besides you all and Kentucky. The rest of us are just trying to muddle through in a world where over 40% of the top 5 players in the last 10 years have gone to one of those two schools.

Roy not getting top talent isn’t a strategy. You’ve had a microscope on your program from the NCAA and Roy isn’t a great recruiter. Coming on here and acting like Roy and the Tar Heel fan base intentionally went after good HS talent versus great HS talent is a joke. I’m guessing you’re going to be second guessing Roy if he’s able to land a couple top 5* players in this upcoming class and Roy has just now seen the light.

It’s like saying you’d rather **** an average looking chick for 3-4 years straight versus ****ing a hot, new model each year.

The only place that I come for recruiting news is here. I google some stuff here and there but I don’t follow any “gurus” or anything like that. A while back when I heard we were recruiting Greg Anthony’s son to come to Duke I horse laughed out loud. His dad played for Vegas and for you yougins that weren’t around during the Duke/UNLV saga I get your ignorance but in my mind the day I heard that I was like “that shit ain’t happening”. Greg Anthony’s son to Duke?!? LMAO!

On a side note, I would love to be wrong though.

Reactions: FactCheckerUSA
^^^thats about how I feel about landing Anthony as well. Remember when Greg wore a Duke hat LOLOL maybe he secretly low key likes Duke?!

I have a feeling Duke will have one of Tre or Cole as the starting PG next season and I'm good with either.

Considering were losing our 2, 3 & 4 in rj, cam and zion. Looks like we will land Wendell Moore and 1 of hurt, Stewart or carey. Thinking tre will be back for his soph year. So the ? Is who going to Play in the backcourt with tre is Cole comfortable playing a role like Quinn cook did in 2015 or does he want the ball in his hands all the time. How about Anthony Edwards reclass to 2019 and plays the 2 in 2020 season. Plays high school ball in ga. Very old for the 2020 class he's in now.

The only place that I come for recruiting news is here. I google some stuff here and there but I don’t follow any “gurus” or anything like that. A while back when I heard we were recruiting Greg Anthony’s son to come to Duke I horse laughed out loud. His dad played for Vegas and for you yougins that weren’t around during the Duke/UNLV saga I get your ignorance but in my mind the day I heard that I was like “that shit ain’t happening”. Greg Anthony’s son to Duke?!? LMAO!

On a side note, I would love to be wrong though.

I hated Greg Anthony as a player, and even when he started working as an analyst on TV, it took a while before I would listen to a word that he said. However, if I had to guess, I think Greg is the reason that we’re still an option for Cole.

As you get older, you want the best for your son, and I think Greg knows there’s not a place that would give him more visibility; better coaching; and a better school for Cole. Think if K is still coaching then Cole ends up at Duke.

I hated Greg Anthony as a player, and even when he started working as an analyst on TV, it took a while before I would listen to a word that he said. However, if I had to guess, I think Greg is the reason that we’re still an option for Cole.

As you get older, you want the best for your son, and I think Greg knows there’s not a place that would give him more visibility; better coaching; and a better school for Cole. Think if K is still coaching then Cole ends up at Duke.

That makes total sense. I enjoy Greg’s commentary too. Just looking back, I wanted to fight young Greg during those years but I was a kid as well and like him I grew up. I think I could have taken Larry Johnson too...

Don’t agree. I’m not saying he ends up at Carolina, but there isn’t much to indicate Duke is a major player for him right now.

Why would anyone want to play for that boring ass system?

That makes total sense. I enjoy Greg’s commentary too. Just looking back, I wanted to fight young Greg during those years but I was a kid as well and like him I grew up. I think I could have taken Larry Johnson too...

I was the same way. I wanted to beat the living hell out of Greg Anthony, Jalen Rose, and Jimmy King. I like Anthony now but still think Jalen Rose is a straight up punk. I ran into him 2 years ago outside the Madison hotel in Memphis. He was in town doing a game. He’s still a straight up punk.

Well in this case it was a matter of commenting on a recruit both schools are after. I don’t think K coaching another year is enough to automatically chalk up Anthony to Duke.

I really dont expect Anthony to come to Duke either. I just meant I wasn't surprised by a Tar Heel fan coming on the Duke board and reiterating it.Just fandom....

OFC

I really dont expect Anthony to come to Duke either. I just meant I wasn't surprised by a Tar Heel fan coming on the Duke board and reiterating it.Just fandom....

OFC

Nothing to do with fandom hart. I was responding to someone who said that Anthony would go to Duke as long as K was still there.

Nothing to do with fandom hart. I was responding to someone who said that Anthony would go to Duke as long as K was still there.

And I was implying that it looks like he will not attend Duke, and I expect more Tar Heel fans to jump on the Duke board in coming days.

In other words if it looked like he was leaning to Duke or a Duke lock I would expect UNC fans scarce as a nickel cigar....

OFC

Reactions: Showenuff
And I was implying that it looks like he will not attend Duke, and I expect more Tar Heel fans to jump on the Duke board in coming days.

In other words if it looked like he was leaning to Duke or a Duke lock I would expect UNC fans scarce as a nickel cigar....

OFC

Well I’m not on here to rub anything in hart, especially considering Anthony won’t even make a decision until next spring.

I’m assuming by Cole latest tweet he is UNC bound

Cole was just talking about his official visit next weekend. Still a long way to go in the Cole Anthony recruitment, as he's expected to decide in the spring. But with UNC getting their second visit from him in just over a month, they do appear to be one of the leaders. Armando Bacot seems to be recruiting him hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT