ADVERTISEMENT

Devils '19 hoop class still looks quite promising!

If all 4 freshman leave, along with Vrank, were gonna have a lot of scholly's available.

The dream class: Cole Anthony, Josiah James, Wendell Moore, Vernon Carey, Isaiah Stewart, and Matt Hurt.
I'm aware this ain't happening, considering Carey, Stewart, and Hurt all play the 4/5.

My prediction: Cole Anthony, Josiah James, Wendell Moore, and Isaiah Stewart. Which would give us the #1 class yet again. We land a 1, 2, 3, and 5 man.
Vernon Carey has the highest ceiling of any prospect in that class, but there are some questions about his defense and work ethic. Stewart is a rock, but isn't gonna provide the WOW plays that Carey can. And Hurt is a perfect college 4 man, nothing flashy to his game, just gets buckets and plays hard on defense.

Something tells me these recruits are gonna really enjoy watching Duke play this season, giving us a nod on the late signees, ding ding Cole Anthony.

Last edited:
Am I missing something when it comes to Stewart? I feel like Stewart would come to Duke before Carey at this moment. Corey Evans thinks the opposite though.
From what I've gathered, Duke will take either/both. And good chance Stewart commits first, meaning better chance we land Stewart. They are not a package deal, considering they are basically the same position.

Lol at Nova. They win a couple titles, land 1 All-American, and all of a sudden they think they are Duke. GTFO Jay Wright.
You may be the only one laughing at them. Like it or not, Nova is a rival of Duke in terms of recruiting.

The only thing Nova doesn't have on Duke right now is the amount of games that are televised.

Meh, I’m not laughing at them, but they aren’t Duke status mac. And definitely not recruiting rivals as of yet just because of a steal. But I do like their coach and program for sure.

Reactions: sheyduke
Any guys we are in on outside of the top 25 in the class?
Wendell Moore is 15-30 depending on the recruiting service, still a consensus 5 star though.
Joe Girard still lists Duke as a possible suitor, but seems like that ship has sailed.

I’m sure K has a few contingency plans of 4 and 3 star guys if we miss a target.

We have had a commitment every year by September since 2007, so will be very odd if we don’t land anyone these next few weeks.

The only thing Nova doesn't have on Duke right now is the amount of games that are televised.
And a coach who is still involved with Team USA and has Lebron on speed dial, and a massive amount of NBA players along with a few NBA All-Stars, and the largest social media following of any college program (football included), and an ESPN documentary, and sold out summer games in August in another country, and the greatest incoming recruiting class in history.

But yeah...other than that, we got nothing on Nova at the moment!

You may be the only one laughing at them. Like it or not, Nova is a rival of Duke in terms of recruiting.

Nova also doesn’t have 16 final fours or 5 national championships or the GOAT!

Reactions: jojozbludevilz
Nova is on fire right now. Kids are gonna look at other schools that can showcase them how they feel “ they” should be showcased.

Duke won’t land every recruit but Duke will still be Duke and Nova is far from a rival.

Wendell Moore is 15-30 depending on the recruiting service, still a consensus 5 star though.
Joe Girard still lists Duke as a possible suitor, but seems like that ship has sailed.

I’m sure K has a few contingency plans of 4 and 3 star guys if we miss a target.

We have had a commitment every year by September since 2007, so will be very odd if we don’t land anyone these next few weeks.

Joey Baker says hi, and I am already here:):D:):D:):D

Meh, I’m not laughing at them, but they aren’t Duke status mac. And definitely not recruiting rivals as of yet just because of a steal. But I do like their coach and program for sure.

They arent Duke yet as far as standing the test of time throughout K's career of SUSTAINED GREATNESS over several decades and five nattys.(numerous FF's too!)

However I would say AT THE MOMENT even w/all the parity in college hoops, Nova has to be considered the most elite program in college hoops. I am simply doing the math of 2 nattys over the last 3 years. Its the closest think to back to back by K and Billy Donavan w/the Gators about 10 yrs ago....

OFC

Nova's style is going to appeal to these kids, especially with their most recent title. I never said Nova was our rival, or Wright is better than K.
They can offer a kid the three important things, in no particular order:

1--Contend
2--Win
3--NBA

Yes, Duke can offer all these too, but the lists of schools that can isn't long.

Joey Baker says hi, and I am already here:):D:):D:):D
He wanted me to tell you “Hey I’m at Duke now, I reclassified to the class of 2018 last Spring, Duke doesn’t have a 2019 commitment yet.”
Very odd, I don’t know why he felt the need to text me that, but there ya go.

He wanted me to tell you “Hey I’m at Duke now, I reclassified to the class of 2018 last Spring, Duke doesn’t have a 2019 commitment yet.”

:D

Nova has done really, really well as of late... 2 national titles in 3 years + awesome recruiting classes. But they're not exactly consistent in the tournament. In the last 9 years, they've only made it to the Sweet 16 twice. Yes, they ended up winning both of those years. But they did miss the second weekend of the tournament in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017. Jus' saying.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
Nova could take a minor step back this year. They lost the guy they expected to be their star this year. And their big man. If they "stumble" this year, and by that I mean are simply above average, questions will emerge. Billy D won 2 back to back titles at UF, but it quickly became apparent that those players had more to do with his success than did his coaching, because he was unable to sustain national relevance. Nova won 2 titles in 3 years, with a core of guys that were key to the entire run. That core is out of the program. Nova will barely be on TV this year, and Duke will likely be frothed over from day 1.
What seems trendy and cool now might change once cooler heads prevail. People around players might wake up to the idea that being on TV all season is a "good thing." And we are going to be so cool by the end of Jan. People will want to be associated with that.

I mean, Duke has AOC, Baker, and Jav/Bolden likely on next year's roster. That will spook even some good players about PT. Jones is uncertain to be here, which further muddies the waters.

Ima say it now and quote this at the end of the season . Jones comes back. :cool:

The only two guys in the top 25 that we are considered the favorite to land right now are James and Moore and both are basically projected unanimously to end up at Duke. Carey is supposedly leaning towards MSU; Anthony towards UNC; and Stewart is a toss up between Duke and MSU.

Here is a much better article regarding our targets versus the one referenced by OP:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals-ranking-week-predicting-2019-s-five-stars

Carey and Stewart are probably mutually exclusive. Neither MSU or Duke is going to get BOTH. One or the other. IMO, Nova is a bigger threat to get Stewart than is MSU.

Who do you guys prefer between Carey and Stewart???
I would pick Carey. He has the highest ceiling by a lot. He does carry more risk though, there are questions about his defensive intensity and work ethic. For comparison, he would be more like a Marvin Bagley III.
Stewart is a very solid player, and will still be a 1-and-done guy, he just isn't gonna provide those wow moments. Think Wendell Carter JR for him.

Do you want the sure thing (Stewart) or do you want to roll the dice on who could be a once-in-a-generation talent???

(The class of 2019 isn't as strong as the 2017 class, so though the comparison's are fairly accurate, I don't think Carey will be as good as Marvin and I don't think Stewart will be as good as Wendell.)

I would pick Carey. He has the highest ceiling by a lot. He does carry more risk though, there are questions about his defensive intensity and work ethic. For comparison, he would be more like a Marvin Bagley III.
Stewart is a very solid player, and will still be a 1-and-done guy, he just isn't gonna provide those wow moments. Think Wendell Carter JR for him.

Do you want the sure thing (Stewart) or do you want to roll the dice on who could be a once-in-a-generation talent???

(The class of 2019 isn't as strong as the 2017 class, so though the comparison's are fairly accurate, I don't think Carey will be as good as Marvin and I don't think Stewart will be as good as Wendell.)
I have no idea about Stewart or Carey, but from what I've read and what you're saying, give me Stewart. Not crazy about a guy who seems to carry a reputation for being lazy, or comparable to Bagley on defense.

I haven’t looked at any of these guys yet, hell im still looking at our guys we got now. I don’t know anything about them. I mean anything. You guys get far ahead, and I applaud the capaticy of you guys brain. Too far ahead for me right now with just to much going on to analyze our next class. Who we might get. Who we won’t. Who we don’t. When this one hasn’t even started. :) I’m just going to sit tight, think about this class, and let the cards fall where the may. Analyze later whoever we get. Just going to enjoy this one while it’s here. Could be special.

I have no idea about Stewart or Carey, but from what I've read and what you're saying, give me Stewart. Not crazy about a guy who seems to carry a reputation for being lazy, or comparable to Bagley on defense.

I prefer Stewart as well. He reminds me of an Elton Brand or Sheldon Williams type of player who’s good and consistent on both sides of the ball whereas Carey reminds me of Duval but at a different position. Carey is more athletic and probably a better scorer but Stewart is better on the boards and on defense. Could see Carey disappear in games if he missed his first few shots. Not to mention, you could possibly get 2 years out of Stewart.

I haven’t looked at any of these guys yet, hell im still looking at our guys we got now. I don’t know anything about them. I mean anything. You guys get far ahead, and I applaud the capaticy of you guys brain. Too far ahead for me right now with just to much going on to analyze our next class. Who we might get. Who we won’t. Who we don’t. When this one hasn’t even started. :) I’m just going to sit tight, think about this class, and let the cards fall where the may. Analyze later whoever we get. Just going to enjoy this one while it’s here. Could be special.

Know exactly what you mean Ipsy.....
#GoBraves

OFC

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I prefer Stewart as well. He reminds me of an Elton Brand or Sheldon Williams type of player who’s good and consistent on both sides of the ball whereas Carey reminds me of Duval but at a different position. Carey is more athletic and probably a better scorer but Stewart is better on the boards and on defense. Could see Carey disappear in games if he missed his first few shots. Not to mention, you could possibly get 2 years out of Stewart.

It depends. Unfortunately, HS measurements, even from more official sources, are notoriously unreliable. If Stewart is closer to 6-8, he might be a mulit year player. If he's closer to 6-10 (I've seen a few places where he's listed as being taller than 6-9) then Stewart is likely a top 5-8 selection in July of 2020, so he'd be gone.
Stewart is a great comp for Shel Williams. Frosh Stewart is probably comparable to a soph Williams. Stewart's strengths are rebounding, defense, and aggression on offense. He's not now, and won't be soon, a guy that can create a lot of his own offense. But he'll be good for 10 ppg through tenacity via putbacks, garbage shots, and lobs.
Carey is a "better" basketball player. But Stewart is good at the things that make basketball teams into winning teams. Carey is good at the things that will help Carey make NBA all-star teams. In 4-5 years, Carey might be better, and possibly much better, than Stewart. But Stewart's teams might be much more successful than Carey's teams.
Given our roster next year, I take Stewart. If I knew we'd have Tre back, I definitely take Stewart. He's that rim protecting rebounder whose statline might not blow anyone away, but who is integral to a team that cuts down the nets come April.

“That was my first Asian”...”You better lock it up” lmao ...yea I’m random but that sh!t was funny. I use it on my gf all the time when I want her to shut up:rolleyes: Lock it up lmao

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT