ADVERTISEMENT

Devils '19 hoop class still looks quite promising!

Nico Mannion just committed to Arizona, no shocker there, wonder how much money the wire Sean Miller sent his family was for?

If we don’t have a commitment by the end of September, well, that will be very out of the ordinary.

Ks telling them he doesn’t know if he will be back o_O why baker reclassified too

I mean iin all seriousness sooner or later he’s going to have to give that pitch to these guys...I would think he would ...Doesn’t seem like the type to leave guys high and dry . Maybe this is that sign??! Lol

I mean iin all seriousness sooner or later he’s going to have to give that pitch to these guys...I would think he would ...Doesn’t seem like the type to leave guys high and dry . Maybe this is that sign??! Lol

I don't think he will intentionally leave kids high and dry. I also don't think he'll announce that he's done with any lead time. He may know, but K has been open about not wanting to endure a "retirement" tour, and I don't blame him. Say what you will about the Nose, he did it right. One day, he just realized that he wasn't looking forward to the upcoming season, so he retired. He said he didn't think about that sort of thing until the end of the summer, because he always felt burnt out in May at the end of a season. I think K is similar. One day, in late August or early September, K will decide that his heart isn't in any more. He'll take a few days/weeks to make sure, then he'll retire. Duke will name an interim coach, and spend the year making our decision about who to hire.
K won't want to leave some kids hung out to dry, but neither does he want to endure the circus of a retirement tour.

K needs to do what’s right for him and the school. Hopefully, those two things are the same and would just have him retire after the NCAA Tournament. By telling kids a year or more in advance that you’re considering it, you might as well right off at least 2 recruiting classes. If he changes his mind, each year after that will be treated by fans as a goodbye tour but will effect recruiting every year after that.

Fair trade, yet sad. Can you just imagine the crap we will take after he’s gone. The ups and downs . Not like anybody’s going to step in and we won’t lose a step. Not looking forward to that. I’ve been spoiled far to long....and opposing fans can taste it , and waiting to strike. Laying in the grass smirking. Lol

Lol at Nova. They win a couple titles, land 1 All-American, and all of a sudden they think they are Duke. GTFO Jay Wright.
I actually admire the program they’re running over there right now. I’d much rather be winning titles with multi year guys than OADs. But at the end of the day they’re not on dukes level and not even really close.

Heard that we have opened up our recruitment of John Reik. OFC

Stewart has stated he would like to play next to Carey bc their games compliment one another

Reactions: Dukebonedoc
K needs to do what’s right for him and the school. Hopefully, those two things are the same and would just have him retire after the NCAA Tournament. By telling kids a year or more in advance that you’re considering it, you might as well right off at least 2 recruiting classes. If he changes his mind, each year after that will be treated by fans as a goodbye tour but will effect recruiting every year after that.

K needs to do what’s right for the school? I’m sure he will but it’s not like anything is owed.

No matter what happens, Dukes recruiting will drop quickly. Giving kids a heads up would be right by the kids and also give a transition period for fans to try and ease into this drop in talent with him still coaching.

If he just leaves and ends up burning a kid or two that couldn’t go pro...our recruiting drops immediately anyway.

It a loss no matter what...

I'm not saying Duke lands both but they are open to play together at least in theory.

So were Jahlil Okafor and Myles Turner.

In theory.

In other words, I would be very surprised to see Duke get both Carey and Stewart. One of them and Hurt is more likely, IMO.

I would be quite pleased with that. Hurt's a great player, and paired with Carey or Stewart... I'll take that all day. Hope it happens.

Reactions: Dukebonedoc
Jim, do actually think Hurt ends up at Duke? Also, I agree that Duke "might" get one of Stewart or Carey at this point

I think Carey will definitely be better than Hurt in the fullness of time (especially in the NBA). I am reasonably certain that Stewart will ultimately be better then Hurt. Hurt might score more in the NBA, but Stewart is a guy that will be one of the top rebounders and defenders in the NBA, and I feel his aggression will make him a double digit scorer.
But Hurt is the kind of guy that puts up good, and efficient, offensive numbers in college. Carey will be a stud on O immediately. I'm less convinced about rebounding, and downright concerned about D, but Carey will be a beast on O from day 1. But Hurt will be almost as good, while being more diverse, out of the box.
Hurt has the type of game that college defenses and defenders have no idea how to stop. Many bigs are simply unprepared for what Hurt does while they are in college. Luke Maye is a great comp. Hurt is taller, more athletic, and more skilled (at the same point). From the PF spot, he'd be nasty in college.

Jim, do actually think Hurt ends up at Duke? Also, I agree that Duke "might" get one of Stewart or Carey at this point

Not what I said. The chances of Hurt and one of Stewart/Carey are better, IMO, than the chances of both Stewart and Carey. Doesn't mean either is likely.

But Duke really needs one of Stewart/Carey and is working very hard to make that happen.

Hurt? Duke has prioritized him and is making a big push. But there's a lot of competition.

Reactions: timo0402
Not what I said. The chances of Hurt and one of Stewart/Carey are better, IMO, than the chances of both Stewart and Carey. Doesn't mean either is likely.

But Duke really needs one of Stewart/Carey and is working very hard to make that happen.

Hurt? Duke has prioritized him and is making a big push. But there's a lot of competition.

Kansas is supposedly very strong, but they are in line for another PF as well. Do you think we've made up ground there?

^ He also took an unofficial visit to Duke in August (pointed out on another board). I'm still doubtful, but hopefully I'm wrong.

^ He also took an unofficial visit to Duke in August (pointed out on another board). I'm still doubtful, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I mean, he hasn't announced yet. He still has a few days for reality to slap him upside the head and for him to have the epiphany "oh shit, Clemson basketball? Brad Brownell?"

Clemson fans try to get Brownell fired every year.

Yea. Not sure what’s going on here. Thought Josiah James would be at Duke. If Tre Jones doesn’t come back next year, Cole Anthony would have the Keys to run the offense.

When Capel left, did all of his recruiting responsibilities get handed off to an assistant coach? Or did K take the reigns back himself?

I mean, he hasn't announced yet. He still has a few days for reality to slap him upside the head and for him to have the epiphany "oh shit, Clemson basketball? Brad Brownell?"

Clemson fans try to get Brownell fired every year.
Playing for Brad Brownell over Coach K?!! Lol. Don’t get that one.

When Capel left, did all of his recruiting responsibilities get handed off to an assistant coach? Or did K take the reigns back himself?

Highly doubt K took over the day to day and week to week stuff that Capel handled while he was here. Everyone sort of thought the train would just keep rolling but it’s pretty obvious that Carrawell hasn’t taken over the role that many thought he would and K’s retirement discussion has been ramped up.

In the end, think it hurts both Duke and Capel. Having what amounted to one of the best recruiting Head Coaches as an assistant coach is hurting recruiting and Capel taking off when he did will be seen as unforgivable when K retires in the next season or two.

Recruits might be uncertain that Coach K will definitely be at Duke next season is what I’m beginning to think. A few months ago Cole Anthony said he wanted to wait until spring to decide because he wanted to make sure that a Coach of one school was going to be there next season. At that time I was wondering who he was talking about because Coach K has stated he has never felt better and made it seem he wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Fast forward to now, I’m beginning to wonder if that’s who Cole Anthony was talking about.

Last edited:
If guys progress and don’t leave premature that aren’t sure fire lottos we’ll be fine but it’s getting odd

Recruits might be uncertain that Coach K will definitely be at Duke next season is what I’m beginning to think. A few months ago Cole Anthony said he wanted to wait until spring to decide because he wanted to make sure that a Coach of one school was going to be there next season. At that time I was wondering who he was talking about because Coach K has stated he has never felt better and made it seem he wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Fast forward to now, I’m beginning to wonder if that’s who Cole Anthony was talking about.

That's my theory or we have several players returning. Either way, something is going on behind closed doors.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT