ADVERTISEMENT

Devils '19 hoop class still looks quite promising!

Why is recruiting going poorly this cycle?

How so? Of the top 30 recruits, 20-something of them are uncommitted. And that is just the top 30. Do you purport to know where they will all land?

Again, don't get yourself all worked up. Duke is going to be fine.

It still led the country so nice fact picking
Wasn’t trying to pick facts actually. How come they were still at an all time low last year? Come on man, answer me, why? Simple Question. Shouldn’t be hard since you got that Centre College degree

To complete my earlier thread...….

Duke might be, ahem, "popular" after the upcoming season. Maybe some kids that went elsewhere will regret not being associated with a white hot program all over the media. Maybe.

Because that is code for "guys who aren't that good." UNC has had tremendous success with keeping OAD level players on campus for 2-3+ years.
This year, when UNC finishes in the top 2-3 of the ACC, and makes a nice run to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, only to watch Little and White go pro, decimating next year's team, UNC fans will see the downside to top level recruiting. UNC's run of OAD talent that stuck around forever is over. They are now after top level players, getting more of them, but soon won't have experienced older players.
Look, if a coach can ID players that can contribute at a high level for 2-3 years, great. Duke likely has 2 of them on the team in AOC and Baker.
Next year could be a bump. Or.....

I agree, UNC has been fortunate to have kept good talent around. But why can't other schools do it too? There's no reason to believe that duke couldn't recruit great (but not elite) talent that would stick around for a couple years. But the problem is that somehow, the message has been sent that if you unpack your bags in college, you suck as a basketball player. I think there are some kids that would actually want to stay in school another year or two but are scared of being shamed because of it.

Answer this honestly, if Little decides to come back to UNC for a second year, will you and other duke fans heckle it like it's something to be ashamed of?

Lastly, Coby will not be OAD.

How so? Of the top 30 recruits, 20-something of them are uncommitted. And that is just the top 30. Do you purport to know where they will all land?

Again, don't get yourself all worked up. Duke is going to be fine.
Then let’s revisit this in the Spring. duke is missing since donut boy left. k is retiring or dieing in a fetal position position soon. Much negativity is out about how k has handeled Carter jr and doesn’t develop talent. Sorry, but those are facts. Are you worked up?

No, most of us didn't attend Duke. Heck, most of us didn't grajuate high school. As soon as K retires, this board will fold like a cheap suit. We will scatter like cockroches.
I ain't pulling for no loozer. When K's done, I am to.
You’re the smartest and most honest gut here.

Though K is the best coach in the history of college basketball, he isn't the only good one. He has created a brand at Duke. No one will fully fill the biggest shoes the game has seen, but I feel confident that the transition isn't going to go as poorly as you really, really, really hope it will.

Plus, that is years (yes, plural) in the future. You shouldn't get yourself too excited just yet.

I think you are underestimating the impact of losing a coach that's been at your school for 40 years. It will be a major transition. And the chances are, it will take years to recover from K's retirement and that's assuming your subsequent hire is a homerun. If not, it could take a decade or more.

I’d ask if you attended UK. But a better question would be how many teeth do you have? How many refs have you threatened before? Did Laettener make you cry?
Did you attend duke? How is your dental health? Afraid to answer?

Because that is code for "guys who aren't that good." UNC has had tremendous success with keeping OAD level players on campus for 2-3+ years.
This year, when UNC finishes in the top 2-3 of the ACC, and makes a nice run to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, only to watch Little and White go pro, decimating next year's team, UNC fans will see the downside to top level recruiting. UNC's run of OAD talent that stuck around forever is over. They are now after top level players, getting more of them, but soon won't have experienced older players.
Look, if a coach can ID players that can contribute at a high level for 2-3 years, great. Duke likely has 2 of them on the team in AOC and Baker.
Next year could be a bump. Or.....

That’s the problem with UNC, if they have to rely on freshman, Roy is screwed. His teams aren’t good without multiple top 15 players sticking around for 3-4 years.

Then let’s revisit this in the Spring. duke is missing since donut boy left. k is retiring or dieing in a fetal position position soon. Much negativity is out about how k has handeled Carter jr and doesn’t develop talent. Sorry, but those are facts. Are you worked up?

This guy has a doctorate.

Though K is the best coach in the history of college basketball, he isn't the only good one. He has created a brand at Duke. No one will fully fill the biggest shoes the game has seen, but I feel confident that the transition isn't going to go as poorly as you really, really, really hope it will.

Plus, that is years (yes, plural) in the future. You shouldn't get yourself too excited just yet.
How many years do you think the 71 yr old will continue? Years, years, years? I really, really, really am curious? Did you attend duke?

I agree, UNC has been fortunate to have kept good talent around. But why can't other schools do it too? There's no reason to believe that duke couldn't recruit great (but not elite) talent that would stick around for a couple years. But the problem is that somehow, the message has been sent that if you unpack your bags in college, you suck as a basketball player. I think there are some kids that would actually want to stay in school another year or two but are scared of being shamed because of it.

Answer this honestly, if Little decides to come back to UNC for a second year, will you and other duke fans heckle it like it's something to be ashamed of?

Think it has to do more with the system that has been run forever over there. Maybe I'm wrong, but the system is more important than any one player. It's not an attractive system for too many elite players.
I don't expect Little to come back, and I pray he doesn't, to be honest. Then again, I hope he's the 2nd coming of Ronald Curry, in terms of talent.

Firstly, yes, he will. I know UNC has convinced itself that he's a 2-3 year player. But he's a younger version of some promising young-in-their-own-right lead guards in the NBA.
But you illustrate my point. UNC is counting on the return of a kid that every other top 25 program would expect to be OAD. At the least, they'd be operating as though he COULD be a OAD. UNC is operating on the theory that he absolutely will return. IF (when) he goes pro this year, UNC will be in trouble next year.

Come guys...don't you see what this having to attend the school to be a fan thing is all about? It's the Kentucky "keeping it ALL in the family thing"!!

Everything is better when it's from "inside" the family!!!

How many years do you think the 71 yr old will continue? Years, years, years? I really, really, really am curious? Did you attend duke?

Calipari has sniffed after every NBA opening. Eventually, he'll get a bite, and he'll be gone. And no one wants to move to Lexington.

Wasn’t trying to pick facts actually. How come they were still at an all time low last year? Come on man, answer me, why? Simple Question. Shouldn’t be hard since you got that Centre College degree
Ok lets go with facts. Modern media, costs of parking, renovations occurring at Rupp. Those are facts as to why attendance numbers might be down comparatively. Are you trying to say the most followed program in college basketball, the one that led the nation AGAIN has some issue? Answer me? It’s a simple question. An all time low? Wrong. Just dumb.

Come guys...don't you see what this having to attend the school to be a fan thing is all about? It's the Kentucky "keeping it ALL in the family thing"!!

Everything is better when it's from "inside" the family!!!
So you didn’t go there either hum. Why are you a fan then?

Ok lets go with facts. Modern media, costs of parking, renovations occurring at Rupp. Those are facts as to why attendance numbers might be down comparatively. Are you trying to say the most followed program in college basketball, the one that led the nation AGAINa has some issue? Answer me? It’s a simple question. An all time low? Wrong. Just dumb.
Re read my post. I asked why it was the lowest it’s ever been under Cal?

So you didn’t go there either hum. Why are you a fan then?

It's a long story and I've told it here a few times. Better question!! why do you care who went there and who didn't? You don't have any friends who are uk fans, and didn't attend uk?
What logic suggests that you had to attend the school to be a fan? Who is your favorite NFL team? Did you play for them?
seriously.....why does it matter if you attended the school? I've always wanted to know the answer to that question.

Re read my post. I asked why it was the lowest it’s ever been under Cal?
And I gave you factual responses. Rupp holds about 29 thousand and it’s near to capacity each game. It’s being expanded. Why? Use your brain. Is cameron sold out at what, 12k each game, nope. Yes, UK basketball attendance is hurting.

And I gave you factual responses. Rupp holds about 29 thousand and it’s near to capacity each game. It’s being expanded. Why? Use your brain. Is cameron sold out at what, 12k each game, nope. Yes, UK basketball attendance is hurting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupp_Arena
There is that UK math. Rupp holds 23,500 for basketball. You're only off by 5500.

I understand being poor at math though, you're probably still reeling from that Kansas State Sweet 16 loss. Must be terrible to literally be given a red carpet to the final 4 and come up short. Kansas St and Loyola are terrific programs...

Reactions: DukefanKY
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupp_Arena
There is that UK math. Rupp holds 23,500 for basketball. You're only off by 5500.

I understand being poor at math though, you're probably still reeling from that Kansas State Sweet 16 loss. Must be terrible to literally be given a red carpet to the final 4 and come up short. Kansas St and Loyola are terrific programs...

It wasn't their fault.....refs took it from them

How many people do u think in Eastern KY attended UK or what about the people who come to KY for work from other parts of the country and all of the sudden they are UK fans. They aren’t bandwagon fans either?

It's a long story and I've told it here a few times. Better question!! why do you care who went there and who didn't? You don't have any friends who are uk fans, and didn't attend uk?
What logic suggests that you had to attend the school to be a fan? Who is your favorite NFL team? Did you play for them?
seriously.....why does it matter if you attended the school? I've always wanted to know the answer to that question.
I attended UK for my doctorate and residency. I have a vested interest in the school for many reasons. I’m not a NFL follower, what is your unrelated point? Oh, you want to say you like a team for an unrelated reason? Right. What high school team do you follow that isn’t on tv? Oh, you don’t.
My point about duke is that you are all following a program for no reason, none. What, you like them because they were popular in the 80s/90s? k retires or dies on the court in his classic thumb in mouth fetal position? where r you as a fan/fans? Oh, I’ll always be a bandwagon duke fan, wow.

I attended UK for my doctorate and residency. I have a vested interest in the school for many reasons. I’m not a NFL follower, what is your unrelated point? Oh, you want to say you like a team for an unrelated reason? Right. What high school team do you follow that isn’t on tv? Oh, you don’t.
My point about duke is that you are all following a program for no reason, none. What, you like them because they were popular in the 80s/90s? k retires or dies on the court in his classic thumb in mouth fetal position? where r you as a fan/fans? Oh, I’ll always be a bandwagon duke fan, wow.

What is your doctorate and degree doing for you? And you haven't explained why you have to attend the school to be a fan. You also avoided the question about whether you had any friends who were uk fans but didn't attend the school.

Think it has to do more with the system that has been run forever over there. Maybe I'm wrong, but the system is more important than any one player. It's not an attractive system for too many elite players.
I don't expect Little to come back, and I pray he doesn't, to be honest. Then again, I hope he's the 2nd coming of Ronald Curry, in terms of talent.

But it's the same system that all programs used to run and the same system that 95% of programs still run today. There are only a handful that rely on freshman to do the heavy lifting. I agree that it's not necessarily attractive to elite players (although I'd argue that there are still some kids that enjoy the college experience and don't necessarily want to give it up after just one year, even if it is for millions of dollars), but just think - what if every program went back to "the good ol' days", where freshman carried the upperclassmen's bags and polished their leadership skills over a period of time? What if the NCAA worked with AAU to instill those old outdated principles? Wouldn't we all enjoy college ball a little more? I know that's pie in the sky, but it's at least desirable, no?

Firstly, yes, he will. I know UNC has convinced itself that he's a 2-3 year player. But he's a younger version of some promising young-in-their-own-right lead guards in the NBA.
But you illustrate my point. UNC is counting on the return of a kid that every other top 25 program would expect to be OAD. At the least, they'd be operating as though he COULD be a OAD. UNC is operating on the theory that he absolutely will return. IF (when) he goes pro this year, UNC will be in trouble next year.

There is no doubt that some people (obviously you) believe Coby will be OAD. There are many that don't. I guess it only matters what Coby thinks. Personally, I don't think he is and I'd be willing to wager something on it if you're game.

But even if he is, will UNC "be in trouble" as you say? I doubt it but I guess we could. And what does "trouble" look like? A round of 32 ceiling? I can live with that every now and then if the program is still run on a model that I like. Personally, I like that our program rewards loyal student athletes for the time they've put in. Has it cost us from time to time? Maybe. But isn't it still an admirable thing to do?

Lastly, @PatrickYates, you didn't answer my question. If Little were to return for a second year, wouldn't you and some of your duke brethren make fun of it? If so, why is that something to be made fun of?

Reactions: ticket2ride04

As an outsider here, I'm trying to figure out the point you're attempting to make. Please, be explicit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT