ADVERTISEMENT

Devils '19 hoop class still looks quite promising!

Recruits might be uncertain that Coach K will definitely be at Duke next season is what I’m beginning to think. A few months ago Cole Anthony said he wanted to wait until spring to decide because he wanted to make sure that a Coach of one school was going to be there next season. At that time I was wondering who he was talking about because Coach K has stated he has never felt better and made it seem he wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Fast forward to now, I’m beginning to wonder if that’s who Cole Anthony was talking about.

As I’ve said before, just the perception that K is possibly leaving after this year is hurting recruiting. K & staff have to know that so if there was no truth to him likely leaving, why not come out and kill all the rumors by stating K will definitely be back after this year? I get that K doesn’t feel like he needs to comment every year about whether or not he’s returning, but this year feels totally different than any before.

If Josiah does as all believes, that’s 2/3 of our starting backcourt in the 2019 class that’s lost, and my worry that as this ball gets rolling during this years recruiting cycle, it will be almost impossible to stop.

Does anyone else think he canceled his Duke visit. #1 Hurricane Florence came thru this weekend. Duke cancelled all classes and the campus is closed. Majority of the Duke players all went back to there respective homes. Follow them on Instagram. I still feel we pull James to Duke over Clemson. Everyone last year was screaming Zion to Clemson I just dont see them beating his in a recruiting war. Not happening

Reactions: QC Dukie
Does anyone else think he canceled his Duke visit. #1 Hurricane Florence came thru this weekend. Duke cancelled all classes and the campus is closed. Majority of the Duke players all went back to there respective homes. Follow them on Instagram. I still feel we pull James to Duke over Clemson. Everyone last year was screaming Zion to Clemson I just dont see them beating his in a recruiting war. Not happening

James isnt coming to Duke.

same was said about Zion. We will find out Wednesday. He has already visited campus before so cancelling his visit this weekend isn't surprising plus the fact the whole basketball team wasn't on campus

same was said about Zion. We will find out Wednesday. He has already visited campus before so cancelling his visit this weekend isn't surprising plus the fact the whole basketball team wasn't on campus
I don’t know man! I would love to believe you! Reading the Clemson sites and from what their insiders say, it seems like it’s a no surprise that he’s going to Clemson. But our insiders have been wrong quite a bit and I’m hoping their insiders are wrong this time.

Might be the beginning of the end of OAD program. Was going to be tough to keep it up anyway. Duke will still have a competitive team, just not a highlight reel every game.

This is the beginning to the end...womp womp womp ! I have no idea about 2019 recruiting lol. This class has all my attention.

Fret if that is your style, but if the most recent 3+ decade sample size has shown us anything, it is that Duke will be just fine. Perhaps Duke's recent crazy success on the recruiting trail has spoiled us a little where we don't think they'll miss on anybody, but I am not even a little worried. Duke will still get quality players that are well coached. K has won with teams full of short-termers, and he has won with teams full of upperclassmen.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Fret if that is your style, but if the most recent 3+ decade sample size has shown us anything, it is that Duke will be just fine. Perhaps Duke's recent crazy success on the recruiting trail has spoiled us a little where we don't think they'll miss on anybody, but I am not even a little worried. Duke will still get quality players that are well coached. K has won with teams full of short-termers, and he has won with teams full of upperclassmen.

I think most duke fans are worried about trying to recruit and win without K. Of course K's sample size is big enough and proof enough that K can adapt to pretty much anything. It's what happens after he's gone. And some are hypothesizing that duke's misses indicate K's on his way out. I've been saying for a while that I thought K was done and I've had egg on my face every time. But at some point, it will be true.

When Capel left, did all of his recruiting responsibilities get handed off to an assistant coach? Or did K take the reigns back himself?

Playing for Brad Brownell over Coach K?!! Lol. Don’t get that one.

Reality may have slapped James upside the head, but he may ignore it no matter what.
James is a wing player in college. At least, he is at a top 15 team. If he's determined to be a PG? Clemson will let him do whatever he wants on the court.

And when he retires?

That's my theory or we have several players returning. Either way, something is going on behind closed doors.

At a minimum we will have AOC and Baker. Barring a truly exceptional season, we'll have Javin back as well (I'd put the odds of having Jav back at north of 98%). Bolden will probably be back as well.
That is 4 starting quality players. If Tre comes back, that is a top 25 level starting lineup. Not top 10-15, but pretty good.
We need more talented players, to be sure, but individually it is tricky. Jav and Bolden will be experienced seniors with great size and athleticism. AOC will be an experienced Jr, with top tier height, length, and athleticism, and near elite skill. None of those three will be easy to displace in the starting lineup. Even if they could be beaten out as starters, they will play. A lot. If a frosh played poorly, there would be an experienced upperclassmen (some of whom are fairly beloved by the fan base) waiting eagerly in the wings.
Baker is more of a question mark. Can he play SF? Is he more of a combo F? IDK. Heck, Jack White would be a quality option.
Tre at PG is a real Schrodinger's cat. He's the least likely of the probable oad to actually be OAD. So you don't know if he'll be at Duke next year. But if he is, he's the most iron clad starter. He'll play 35ish MPG and be the lead guard.
From a recruit's POV, Tre would start at PG, AOC at SG (in what would be one of the best backcourts in the nation). SF is more of a question, but Baker and White are legit options, as is Moore (if we get him). Jav and Bolden at PF and C respectively. Those are the most likely to be beaten out. But there would be tremendous pressure on the starters.
As I said, collectively, that team isn't elite. But on a per position analysis, lots of HS seniors would be concerned about securing their starting position. Of the players we are nominally recruiting, only Carey and Anthony would be sure of starting, and even they'd play less here than at other schools.

If K were thinking of retiring, Capel wouldn't have left. I made an argument about Bobby Hurley being the next coach, and I stand by that. But if K retired suddenly, there might be tremendous pressure to hire Capel, for a lot of reasons. Capel's best chance would be if he were currently the associate head coach at Duke. As the HC at Pitt, he's got virtually no chance if K retires in the next 2 years.
Now, if Capel KNEW that K was about to retire, and if Capel similarly KNEW that he, Capel, would not be the next HC? Then the Pitt move makes sense. But if that were the case, we'd have heard whispers.

Reactions: pisgah101
If K were thinking of retiring, Capel wouldn't have left. I made an argument about Bobby Hurley being the next coach, and I stand by that. But if K retired suddenly, there might be tremendous pressure to hire Capel, for a lot of reasons. Capel's best chance would be if he were currently the associate head coach at Duke. As the HC at Pitt, he's got virtually no chance if K retires in the next 2 years.
Now, if Capel KNEW that K was about to retire, and if Capel similarly KNEW that he, Capel, would not be the next HC? Then the Pitt move makes sense. But if that were the case, we'd have heard whispers.
FBI? Pay? Him leaving and coaching at Pitt improves his chances of landing the duke job. Your wrong as to the association to the assistant job. K is out soon. You never answered my original question. duke is a one trick pony, only has titles under k. What happens when he’s done?

I want K to coach until his 100, but in reality he will retire one day, and god bless him for what he has built at Duke. I cannot imagine a scenario in which K leave and recruiting and our long run of being a top tier team in the country year after year doesn't take a dip. It's inevitable IMHO. It could last a year, it could be 5 before we regain our swagger (verve).

I'll still be a Duke fan though! :)

Alan

I want K to coach until his 100, but in reality he will retire one day, and god bless him for what he has built at Duke. I cannot imagine a scenario in which K leave and recruiting and our long run of being a top tier team in the country year after year doesn't take a dip. It's inevitable IMHO. It could last a year, it could be 5 before we regain our swagger (verve).

I'll still be a Duke fan though! :)

Alan
Why are you a duke fan? Did you attend the school(answer this, don’t just give some empty response). If you didn’t, you are likely someone who grew up following an it team who was prevalent on tv. Whenk is done, duke’s presence is done and fans who only became and are fans(bandwagon fans fall off) go away. Did you attend duke?

No. No one else thinks that.

As I said, collectively, that team isn't elite. But on a per position analysis, lots of HS seniors would be concerned about securing their starting position. Of the players we are nominally recruiting, only Carey and Anthony would be sure of starting, and even they'd play less here than at other schools.

I'm not being funny here, but then why not recruit guys that don't expect starting positions and will be fine with paying their dues, so to speak?

I’d ask if you attended UK. But a better question would be how many teeth do you have? How many refs have you threatened before? Did Laettener make you cry?
Funny. Attended Centre College for a BS and received a doctorate from UK where I also completed my residency. Yes, I have a complete dentition except for my third molars. I have never threatened a ref. No, laettner didn’t make me cry. Did you attend duke? It isn’t a hard question.

And when he retires?

Though K is the best coach in the history of college basketball, he isn't the only good one. He has created a brand at Duke. No one will fully fill the biggest shoes the game has seen, but I feel confident that the transition isn't going to go as poorly as you really, really, really hope it will.

Plus, that is years (yes, plural) in the future. You shouldn't get yourself too excited just yet.

Though K is the best coach in the history of college basketball, he isn't the only good one. He has created a brand at Duke. No one will fully fill the biggest shoes the game has seen, but I feel confident that the transition isn't going to go as poorly as you really, really, really hope it will.

Plus, that is years (yes, plural) in the future. You shouldn't get yourself too excited just yet.
Why is recruiting going poorly this cycle? How many years, yes years, do you or recruits anticipate he will continue? What is duke b-ball without him? I really want to know.

With your posts thus far, no one is going to believe this. If you are that intelligent, stop posting like an idiot. You haven't done anything at all beyond what a standard, run-of-the-mill UK troll would post.
I so need you to believe me. Not doing so will deprive me of my professional practice. Did you attend duke? Why can’t I get a yes to that question? Why are so many of you proving to be fans simply because of popularity? When k goes soon, what will you do? You jumped on for popularity. Tell me why you are a fan otherwise.

I'm not being funny here, but then why not recruit guys that don't expect starting positions and will be fine with paying their dues, so to speak?

Because that is code for "guys who aren't that good." UNC has had tremendous success with keeping OAD level players on campus for 2-3+ years.
This year, when UNC finishes in the top 2-3 of the ACC, and makes a nice run to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, only to watch Little and White go pro, decimating next year's team, UNC fans will see the downside to top level recruiting. UNC's run of OAD talent that stuck around forever is over. They are now after top level players, getting more of them, but soon won't have experienced older players.
Look, if a coach can ID players that can contribute at a high level for 2-3 years, great. Duke likely has 2 of them on the team in AOC and Baker.
Next year could be a bump. Or.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT