ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all likelihood, much of this is overkill, but that overkill serves an important function in my opinion. It makes people aware which is a good thing.

I had a sibling die of the flu just over 2 years ago. That was a normal flu. If the constant coverage saves someone else's sibling from a more dangerous flu, then it's well worth it in my opinion.

I saw a meme the other day that said the coverage was dumb and compared it to the relatively minimal effects of the bird flu, Ebola and a few others. The only thing I could think of was maybe that coverage alerted the right people and got the proper precautions in place and led to "minimizing" the damage done. I'm hoping it does that here.

That said, I don't think that germaphobes wearing masks to the grocery store helps anything. It only contributes to a panic. The politicization is also dangerous. Raising too much alarm or stating someone else hopes for deaths for political reasons minimizes the importance of the alarms. In the end, I don't mind the coverage at all if it saves lives.

Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukiejay
Seems like if we all go to events and spread it around, the younger healthy crowd will be fine, but the OFC might be decimated!

Wait wait wait... so no more complaints about how lame the Crazies are now, and no more potted meat jokes?

hmmm-alright.gif

In all likelihood, much of this is overkill, but that overkill serves an important function in my opinion. It makes people aware which is a good thing.

I had a sibling die of the flu just over 2 years ago. That was a normal flu. If the constant coverage saves someone else's sibling from a more dangerous flu, then it's well worth it in my opinion.

I saw a meme the other day that said the coverage was dumb and compared it to the relatively minimal effects of the bird flu, Ebola and a few others. The only thing I could think of was maybe that coverage alerted the right people and got the proper precautions in place and led to "minimizing" the damage done. I'm hoping it does that here.

That said, I don't think that germaphobes wearing masks to the grocery store helps anything. It only contributes to a panic. The politicization is also dangerous. Raising too much alarm or stating someone else hopes for deaths for political reasons minimizes the importance of the alarms. In the end, I don't mind the coverage at all if it saves lives.

Just my opinion though.

I'm sorry for your loss, D. That sucks:(

One note... if I recall correctly, masks are largely meant for sick people; the idea is to keep the droplets contained. Regular white masks won't do anything really to keep healthy people healthy. I think that is what was said.

I agree about the politicization. The issue becomes how to separate legit complaints or worries that involve public servants from politicization simply for the sake of politics. It's tough, for sure. I think we can ALL agree that everyone on both sides of the aisle hope for a capable and thorough government response, no matter who is in charge.

Man....I am praying nothing gets cancelled. My son and I are flying to Tampa for the 1st and 2nd rounds. And then my family along with 3 other families are flying to Disneyland in early April. And I am then flying to South Africa in June. I honestly don't travel a whole lot but I have these 3 trips planned in a short span. At this point I am feeling fairly confident I will be able to attend all 3 trips. But it's hard not to be a little worried. I just this morning asked the groups I am travelling with what their levels of concern are:

1-10:

1 being, FU Corona. I will bring the limes and let's do this thing. Nothing to be worried about.

10 being, I sure wish I would have purchased trip insurance. If the games do happen it's going to be with 0 fans and airlines might be shut down.

So far 6 deaths in the US out of 101 known infected.
Only a 3 hour drive from me. It’s gonna hit Portland soon (we’ve had a couple already). Too many SEA-TAC to PDX weekly commuters. If I get quarantined I’ll probably be posting here nonstop. Sorry in advance!

Some of y’all need to take a breath and stop following it. If you followed the flu this closely you’d go insane.

But this is not the flu. There is no vaccine (yet) for coronavirus unlike the flu. Please stay informed.

My college campus is anticipating a huge spike after kids return from spring break. It’s going to be everywhere in two weeks.

My college campus is anticipating a huge spike after kids return from spring break. It’s going to be everywhere in two weeks.
That’s a great point about spring break that I never thought of. I am sure immune systems will not be in to good of shape for all those late teen early 20 college kids after drinking for a week either.

Reactions: DukeDenver
But this is not the flu. There is no vaccine (yet) for coronavirus unlike the flu. Please stay informed.

Lmao this isn’t as bad as the flu, and btw vaccines for influenza aren’t anywhere near 100% effective.

And trust me, in my line of work I’m well informed, just by sources that are frontline that aren’t picked-and-chooses to be shared in media (and politicking).

Last edited:
Very true, all of my kids were vaccinated last year for the flu and they all got the flu, I was not vaccinated and did not get it.

Ive been vaccinated twice in 42 years for it and I’ve had influenza twice in 42 years, both of those years. Coincidence? Probably, but your strong example is a small % of people who deal with the same thing. Influenza mutates on the regular so having an even 80% effective vaccine is statistically impossible.

Ps I’m not an anti-vaxxer....I’ve been loaded up on them, I just choose the side effects of influenza vaccine aren’t worth it for me now. I will likely adjust as I age however. Things like Hepatitis, for example, are worth being vaccinated for.

When I woke up yesterday morning there were 76 cases in the US. This morning...105.

Listen, it is likely going to be everywhere. That's just what it is. But most of it is fine, and in fact we probably won't even know about some folks having it. Don't get too upset.

Nunya :)

Some of the guys here know but honestly I’m not sharing with some of y’all.

Really? You seem to know what you are talking about, and talked about forgetting more about viruses than I will ever know, and about research not being reliable, and work and expertise and stuff... not looking to "look you up," just wondering what your background is with this stuff.

Listen, it is likely going to be everywhere. That's just what it is. But most of it is fine, and in fact we probably won't even know about some folks having it. Don't get too upset.

Ex-freaking-zactly.

Well said.

Really? You seem to know what you are talking about, and talked about forgetting more about viruses than I will ever know, and about research not being reliable, and work and expertise and stuff... not looking to "look you up," just wondering what your background is with this stuff.

It’s all good man. I’m just not sharing - I’ve done so in the past and literally had a couple of people messaging me on Facebook within a few weeks, then my wife. Creepy stuff.

@pisgah101 @Dad2ze know.

But let me be clear, it’s not like I’m some special agent or something lol....

Reactions: pisgah101
Last note: if kids start getting it and dying then I’ll start worrying. What’s interesting though, is you’re only “hearing” older people are getting it. If someone passes they seem to be elderly or have a serious pre existing condition with heart, lungs, kidney, etc.....

I read in an article in the NYT that kids seem particularly NOT susceptible to it?

It’s all good man. I’m just not sharing - I’ve done so in the past and literally had a couple of people messaging me on Facebook within a few weeks, then my wife. Creepy stuff.

@pisgah101 @Dad2ze know.

Okay, now I'm SUPER curious.

JSpears had that happen to him, on the national board... I think he lost his job over it.

Okay, now I'm SUPER curious.

JSpears had that happen to him, on the national board... I think he lost his job over it.

I had a UNC fan (I’m not naming him) somehow get my cell phone number. I honestly wasn’t even mad at first, I was impressed. The other one tracked me down on FB and started messaging me, then my wife after a while. Creepy. I talk to the two Duke guys already mentioned, and use to text with @Mac9192 some but lost touch when I was traveling nearly 100% of the time and at odd hours.

Anyways I won’t bust any more chops here. I just ask that we chill out and not buy into the media hype. I’ll add updates if they’re helpful. I will give you a tip though: Zinc. Ideally sublingual. Take prophylactically if you need to take mass transit, air, or you’ll be in large crowds. Rhino and coronavirus hate that stuff.

@pisgah101 @Dad2ze know.

@TheDude1 you prob don’t like or trust me but he is legit with his info.. he’s big time (I mean that) in the medical field and if I have a med question I would trust him over anything I see or hear.

2 from the same household here in Atlanta, Fulton county where I live. I'm looking at my neighbors with a side-eye now

I’m flying to ATL tonight, then driving to Athens, then Augusta tomo. Then to Charleston for meetings Friday. I’ll be staring everyone down now lol!!

Reactions: retiredsoldier
@TheDude1 you prob don’t like or trust me but he is legit with his info.. he’s big time (I mean that) in the medical field and if I have a med question I would trust him over anything I see or hear.

Thanks buddy, appreciate the kind words. I like you, I just don’t have the heart to tell @Dad2ze i don’t like him. It’s okay to say here though as he’s never around :)

I’m flying to ATL tonight, then driving to Athens, then Augusta tomo. Then to Charleston for meetings Friday. I’ll be staring everyone down now lol!!
Hey man, on your way back, you need to stop by for a few if you have time. I'm about 10-15 min from the airport. Or tonight when you get in. I have plenty of room.

No no, I trust you! We might disagree on a lot, but that doesn't mean I don't trust you:)

Hey man, on your way back, you need to stop by for a few if you have time. I'm about 10-15 min from the airport. Or tonight when you get in. I have plenty of room.
Yes sir! I will be hitting ATL more in the next few months. I’ll ping you in advance to see if you’ll be around. I’m flying out of Charleston Friday but should be back down in the next month....

Reactions: retiredsoldier
Yes sir! I will be hitting ATL more in the next few months. I’ll ping you in advance to see if you’ll be around. I’m flying out of Charleston Friday but should be back down in the next month....
You better lol. Hit me with a pm and I'll give you all my info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT