ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully people just use their “common sense” and wash their hands and not overreact lol

Reactions: Fourteen44
People in NYC running to stores and buying water! Guess the water supply will become infected.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Look, I’m not trying to scare anyone or force you to believe this will be catastrophic, but please stay informed.

Businesses and the stock market have already been affected. We could have a huge disruption in our daily lives if this gets as bad as some are predicting which is why they wrote the letter to the NCAA (has any other virus ever made it to the point where the NCAA may have to either cancel or hold games without fans?).

I think 2 people in Washington have already died from this and more people will be tested starting today.

Again, stay informed!

Businesses and stock market are affected because of the paranoia behind it. Is it a virus? Yes. Is it contagious? Yes. Can it kill those who are already immunocompromised? Yes. Sounds a lot like influenza, the only difference being one has a vaccine that is sometimes effective, but both can be prevented with simple hygiene measures unlike more lethal, contagious things like Ebola/plague/etc.

The media is hurting for things to hype up - this is their material for the month or two. The markets needed a nice correction but I can assure you those who know how to play this are making bank in the moderate to long term.

Reactions: pisgah101
Heh. I checked Amazon a few minutes ago, because I thought it might be good to have a thing of hand sanitizer at the front door... you know, you come in and get a squirt? Totally sold out across Amazon.

And you know, I’m beginning to wonder if common sense is really a thing. Because everyone believes that what THEY think is common sense... like, I never see anyone say that THEY aren't following common sense.

"Just use your common sense... it's just the media being crazy, we will be fine, its the same as the flu, stop worrying about something you can't change."

"Just use your common sense... wash your hands and don't touch your face, its similar to the flu, it will be fine."

"Just use common sense... avoid big crowds, stay at home if you don't have to go out, and buy a little extra food, just in case."

"Just use common sense... stock up on food and supplies in case our supply chains go down for a few weeks, and put your money in gold, because it is one of the most stable investments in times like this."

"Just use common sense... go down to your bunker and hunker down."

Reactions: Quavarius
The media is hurting for things to hype up - this is their material for the month or two.

Actually, my guess is that the American media at least is a little pissed, in a way... is ANYONE talking about South Carolina or Super Tuesday? Politics have gotten pushed AWFULLY far back because of this.

People in NYC running to stores and buying water! Guess the water supply will become infected.

That one really gets me. The virus would never survive in water, and even then it wouldn’t survive in our acid-heavy stomach lol.

“Paranoia, paranoia, everybody is coming to get me....”

Actually, my guess is that the American media at least is a little pissed, in a way... is ANYONE talking about South Carolina or Super Tuesday? Politics have gotten pushed AWFULLY far back because of this.
With all due respect, have you watched any of the debates? Yikes.

There’s a reason why I’m a staunch independent lol.

That one really gets me. The virus would never survive in water, and even then it wouldn’t survive in our acid-heavy stomach lol.

“Paranoia, paranoia, everybody is coming to get me....”

Wait, what? Viruses don't survive in water? Since when? Many viruses do...?

My ASSUMPTION is the worry is about an interruption in water supply, not contaminated water (that's why people stock up on water when they worry about nuclear war or Y2K or whatever) but with fear, who knows...

With all due respect, have you watched any of the debates? Yikes.

There’s a reason why I’m a staunch independent lol.

Nope, not a minute.

And its rare to find a true independent. Most people who say they are vote pretty consistently one way or the other... they just like the SOUND of being "independent."

Nope, not a minute.

And its rare to find a true independent. Most people who say they are vote pretty consistently one way or the other... they just like the SOUND of being "independent."

Socially liberal, financially conservative.

Trust me, I’m independent.

I am anti-Marxist, anti-Communist, but if that makes me a conservative, well that’s scary as the bookends have shifted even more.

Last edited:
Wait, what? Viruses don't survive in water? Since when? Many viruses do...?

My ASSUMPTION is the worry is about an interruption in water supply, not contaminated water (that's why people stock up on water when they worry about nuclear war or Y2K or whatever) but with fear, who knows...

THE virus. Not viruses.

Slow down and read lol.

Water supply would continue. Has it stopped in Wuhan? Nope.

Reactions: pisgah101
Heh. I checked Amazon a few minutes ago, because I thought it might be good to have a thing of hand sanitizer at the front door... you know, you come in and get a squirt? Totally sold out across Amazon.

And you know, I’m beginning to wonder if common sense is really a thing. Because everyone believes that what THEY think is common sense... like, I never see anyone say that THEY aren't following common sense.

"Just use your common sense... it's just the media being crazy, we will be fine, its the same as the flu, stop worrying about something you can't change."

"Just use your common sense... wash your hands and don't touch your face, its similar to the flu, it will be fine."

"Just use common sense... avoid big crowds, stay at home if you don't have to go out, and buy a little extra food, just in case."

"Just use common sense... stock up on food and supplies in case our supply chains go down for a few weeks, and put your money in gold, because it is one of the most stable investments in times like this."

"Just use common sense... go down to your bunker and hunker down."

You forgot the most important two.

1. Just use common sense...stay at home if you're sick.

2. Just use common sense...spray the bastards with Lysol if they don't stay home when they're sick.

You forgot the most important two.

1. Just use common sense...stay at home if you're sick.

2. Just use common sense...spray the bastards with Lysol if they don't stay home when they're sick.

I literally LOL’d on point 2. That’s classic. Do they have aerosol Lysol cans that spray 30 feet like bee spray?!?

(Running to store to load up on Lysol.)

Reactions: meisperplexed
Yep. See it at my work all the time. People will literally come out of the stall from doing their business and just walk out. Amazing!

No matter ones stance on germs etc, that’s just wrong. I see it in airports and hospitals on the regular. Sounds like another purpose for a Lysol spray with 20-30 feet spray stream!

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
Socially liberal, financially conservative.

Trust me, I’m independent.

I am anti-Marxist, anti-Communist, but if that makes me a conservative, well that’s scary as the bookends have shifted even more.

Lots of people describe themselves as socially liberal but fiscally conservative, and yet also identify as conservative or liberal. Your voting record over the past few decades is likely a better indicator of your political leanings.

And no idea how anti-Marxist/anti-Communist would make you conservative. Nearly the entire of the United States fits that description.

THE virus. Not viruses.

Slow down and read lol.

Water supply would continue. Has it stopped in Wuhan? Nope.

I don't recall anything about this virus being particularly susceptible to water? Coronaviruses tend to die after a few days in water (Edit: No, apparently they don't... read and learn, I suppose!:) ), but I don't know how long it takes the water in upstate NY to make it to NYC. But again, I don't think people are buying water because they worry about it being contaminated... most water goes through decontamination, doesn't it?

As for water supply, I don't know, I assume it hasn't stopped in Wuhan? Again, not saying it is rational... fear usually isn't. But my guess is that it is more about water supply interruption than contamination.

(I also haven't seen anything about runs on water in NYC, was just taking it on that one posters word, which may be a mistake:) )

Last edited:
I thought I read this virus doesn't live on surfaces very well and transmits by shared air so not sure the washing hands thing doing much (we should always wash our hands, regardless) will do much.

I thought I read this virus doesn't live on surfaces very well and transmits by shared air so not sure the washing hands thing (we should always wash our hands) will do much.

From DBR, courtesy of RSVDevil (from several days ago.)

I am not that concerned.

Here's what we know about coronaviruses in general, which have been circulating in the United States for decades.

1) Unlike influenza, coronaviruses are spread in "large droplets," rather than "droplet nuclei." Large droplets are heavy enough that when expelled (for example by coughing or sneezing) they fall within six feet. I think it is unlikely that a virus that spreads in this fashion could ever infect as large a proportion of the U.S. population as influenza does (about 15% each year).

2) Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses. Without the envelope they are not contagious. This means that their ability to survive outside the host is time limited, as they become dessicated over time. It also means that the virus is easy to inactivate with cleaning solutions/solvents, etc., which disrupt the virus envelope. By way of contrast, rhinovirus (one of the most common causes of common cold) is non-enveloped, can survive for days outside the host, and is more difficult to inactivate on inanimate objects.

So, if this thing starts to spread, it will spread like parainfluenza, RSV, or a rhinovirus, not like influenza virus or measles virus (both of the latter are spread in droplet nuclei). Transmission of paraflu, RSV, rhino, and likely the novel coronavirus is often via the hands touching the nose, mouth, or eyes, rather than by inhaling the air (obviously it can be contracted by breathing, but one would have to be in the very near vicinity of an infected person when said person coughs or sneezes). It is more likely that it would be contracted because people blow their noses or sneeze or cough into their hands, and then don't sanitize or wash their hands. They then touch something, like a table or a door handle, and the next person who touches the door handle (for example) gets the virus on their hands and then inoculates themselves by rubbing or touching their eyes or their nose. An effective way to spread, yes, but not nearly as effective as what influenza and measles do.

Masks are likely to be somewhat helpful, but viruses can get through dust masks and surgical masks, and they can get AROUND N95 masks. In the hospital setting, personnel are "fit tested" for N95 masks. They come in multiple different designs, some of which work with some faces and some of which work for others. Personally, I had to try 4 masks before I found one that actually created the proper "air seal" to make it effective. So if you are buying N95 masks off the internet, they may or may not fit you, which means they may or may not be protective. Just FYI.

In my opinion, a better way to protect oneself would be to do the following:

1) Avoid places with lots of people
2) Avoid people who are sick
3) Wash your hands or Purell frequently
4) Keep your hands away from your face as much as you possibly can (this is difficult, as most people touch their faces many times an hour and are not even aware that they are doing it; it requires conscious awareness to do this, but it is possible if you put your mind to it)

People who are sick with respiratory viruses (coronavirus or otherwise), should do the following:
1) Cough into the crook of the elbow, not into the hands
2) Purell or wash your hands immediately after blowing your nose
3) Use separate hand towels or use paper towels (in other words, don't use communal or shared hand towels)
4) use Clorox wipes to wipe down door handles frequently
5) If you use a TV remote or your phone, you should be the only one using it until you are well. Same goes for computers. Keep your hands to yourself, keep your devices to yourself, keep your mucus to yourself

In short, I don't think this is going to be at all like the 1918 flu pandemic, even if it begins to spread throughout the U.S., because it will spread like a common cold. It will obviously be much more severe than a common cold, especially in those with risk factors, but it won't/can't learn to spread like flu, so I don't see any way it could possibly infect 15-20% of the U.S. population. The vast majority of people infected will survive. I suspect the true mortality rate in the US will be closer to 0.5% than 2%, even it does become fairly widespread.

So, not buying masks, not taking home an N95 from work, not hoarding food, not panicking. I'll let y'all know if that changes.

Businesses and stock market are affected because of the paranoia behind it. Is it a virus? Yes. Is it contagious? Yes. Can it kill those who are already immunocompromised? Yes. Sounds a lot like influenza, the only difference being one has a vaccine that is sometimes effective, but both can be prevented with simple hygiene measures unlike more lethal, contagious things like Ebola/plague/etc.

The media is hurting for things to hype up - this is their material for the month or two. The markets needed a nice correction but I can assure you those who know how to play this are making bank in the moderate to long term.

It’s more than the paranoia. Most businesses do business with China/Asia where the virus originated. It’s not the paranoia; it’s the inability to even do business where a large part of the country/continent has shut down.

Reactions: Mpm277

I am not that concerned.

Here's what we know about coronaviruses in general, which have been circulating in the United States for decades.

1) Unlike influenza, coronaviruses are spread in "large droplets," rather than "droplet nuclei." Large droplets are heavy enough that when expelled (for example by coughing or sneezing) they fall within six feet. I think it is unlikely that a virus that spreads in this fashion could ever infect as large a proportion of the U.S. population as influenza does (about 15% each year).

2) Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses. Without the envelope they are not contagious. This means that their ability to survive outside the host is time limited, as they become dessicated over time. It also means that the virus is easy to inactivate with cleaning solutions/solvents, etc., which disrupt the virus envelope. By way of contrast, rhinovirus (one of the most common causes of common cold) is non-enveloped, can survive for days outside the host, and is more difficult to inactivate on inanimate objects.

So, if this thing starts to spread, it will spread like parainfluenza, RSV, or a rhinovirus, not like influenza virus or measles virus (both of the latter are spread in droplet nuclei). Transmission of paraflu, RSV, rhino, and likely the novel coronavirus is often via the hands touching the nose, mouth, or eyes, rather than by inhaling the air (obviously it can be contracted by breathing, but one would have to be in the very near vicinity of an infected person when said person coughs or sneezes). It is more likely that it would be contracted because people blow their noses or sneeze or cough into their hands, and then don't sanitize or wash their hands. They then touch something, like a table or a door handle, and the next person who touches the door handle (for example) gets the virus on their hands and then inoculates themselves by rubbing or touching their eyes or their nose. An effective way to spread, yes, but not nearly as effective as what influenza and measles do.

Masks are likely to be somewhat helpful, but viruses can get through dust masks and surgical masks, and they can get AROUND N95 masks. In the hospital setting, personnel are "fit tested" for N95 masks. They come in multiple different designs, some of which work with some faces and some of which work for others. Personally, I had to try 4 masks before I found one that actually created the proper "air seal" to make it effective. So if you are buying N95 masks off the internet, they may or may not fit you, which means they may or may not be protective. Just FYI.

4) Keep your hands away from your face as much as you possibly can (this is difficult, as most people touch their faces many times an hour and are not even aware that they are doing it; it requires conscious awareness to do this, but it is possible if you put your mind to it)

People who are sick with respiratory viruses (coronavirus or otherwise), should do the following:
3) Use separate hand towels or use paper towels (in other words, don't use communal or shared hand towels)
5) If you use a TV remote or your phone, you should be the only one using it until you are well. Same goes for computers. Keep your hands to yourself, keep your devices to yourself, keep your mucus to yourself

In short, I don't think this is going to be at all like the 1918 flu pandemic, even if it begins to spread throughout the U.S., because it will spread like a common cold. It will obviously be much more severe than a common cold, especially in those with risk factors, but it won't/can't learn to spread like flu, so I don't see any way it could possibly infect 15-20% of the U.S. population. The vast majority of people infected will survive. I suspect the true mortality rate in the US will be closer to 0.5% than 2%, even it does become fairly widespread.

So, not buying masks, not taking home an N95 from work, not hoarding food, not panicking. I'll let y'all know if that changes.

I’m really struggling with that “keeping my hands away from my face” part, but I’m working on it.

Lots of people describe themselves as socially liberal but fiscally conservative, and yet also identify as conservative or liberal. Your voting record over the past few decades is likely a better indicator of your political leanings.

And no idea how anti-Marxist/anti-Communist would make you conservative. Nearly the entire of the United States fits that description.

I don't recall anything about this virus being particularly susceptible to water? Coronaviruses tend to die after a few days in water (Edit: No, apparently they don't... read and learn, I suppose!:) ), but I don't know how long it takes the water in upstate NY to make it to NYC. But again, I don't think people are buying water because they worry about it being contaminated... most water goes through decontamination, doesn't it?

As for water supply, I don't know, I assume it hasn't stopped in Wuhan? Again, not saying it is rational... fear usually isn't. But my guess is that it is more about water supply interruption than contamination.

(I also haven't seen anything about runs on water in NYC, was just taking it on that one posters word, which may be a mistake:) )

Both rhinovirus and coronavirus die in water, particularly supply/movement - you may want to try an accurate source. And how do they infect an unsuspecting victim, exactly? Lol. You messed up and thought I meant viruses. Nice backtrack though, but we all make mistakes. Besides I’ve likely forgotten more on virology/infectious disease than you’ve probably learned being a teacher. All good - I certainly won’t challenge you in your specialty.

Wuhan has no disruption in water supply and that’s “considered” ground zero.

I know you’re trying to bait me on political discussion but I know you’re with a far left standing, IIRC. Congrats to you, but again, as an Independent I’m not playing that game :)

Now, if you want to paint up an end-of-world disruption of water service scenario, be my guest. I’ll continue on my way as usual, being mindful of my surroundings and personal hygiene. Cheers!

Last edited:
BTW, for those interested, a study about coronaviruses and how they survive in water.

https://west.arizona.edu/sites/defa...08_Article_SurvivalOfCoronavirusesInWater.pdf

Basically seems that coronaviruses tend to live in water for between 10 and 100+ days, depending on the temperature of the water and a few other factors.

Adding soap, obviously, decreases that time to just about no days:)

Nice, supplied water is temperature unstable and doesn’t move? Hahahaaaaa, classic :)

It’s more than the paranoia. Most businesses do business with China/Asia where the virus originated. It’s not the paranoia; it’s the inability to even do business where a large part of the country/continent has shut down.

Again, it’s paranoia. They are being way over cautious because of the “fear” behind it. I get it.

I am not that concerned.

Sounds just like colds/flu (A/B and most other garden varieties). Good post but he/she forgot one very important mineral that rhino/coronavirus hates.

Last edited:
I thought I read this virus doesn't live on surfaces very well and transmits by shared air so not sure the washing hands thing doing much (we should always wash our hands, regardless) will do much.

Think rhinovirus/influenza my man. They mutate and travel slightly differently, but like the flu, if someone by you is coughing and/or sneezing openly, walk away and try to cover your mouth, or blow out slowly with any air in your lungs (don’t inhale there) and walk away to more fresh air to reset breathing.

Yep. See it at my work all the time. People will literally come out of the stall from doing their business and just walk out. Amazing!
Like I use to Holla at the recruits when I was a Drill Instructor, "you didn't join the Army to be nasty, yo ass was nasty before you got here." Just amazing how nasty people are when the ability not to be is staring you in the face.

Both rhinovirus and coronavirus die in water, particularly supply/movement - you may want to try an accurate source. And how do they infect an unsuspecting victim, exactly? Lol. You messed up and thought I meant viruses. Nice backtrack though, but we all make mistakes. Besides I’ve likely forgotten more on virology/infectious disease than you’ve probably learned being a teacher. All good - I certainly won’t challenge you in your specialty.

Wuhan has no disruption in water supply and that’s “considered” ground zero.

I know you’re trying to bait me on political discussion but I know you’re with a far left standing, IIRC. Congrats to you, but again, as an Independent I’m not playing that game :)

Now, if you want to paint up an end-of-world disruption of water service scenario, be my guest. I’ll continue on my way as usual, being mindful of my surroundings and personal hygiene. Cheers!

Oh, I don't really care about the political thing... I don't think I was the one who originally brought it up... but yeah, sure, doesn't matter in this case.

Does it matter if it is THIS virus or viruses in general? I mean, I thought that this was a fairly typical coronavirus in many ways, including how to eliminate it, which is what I had looked up? Are there major differences between this one and other coronaviruses, in terms of how long they live in water? I obviously have no background in this, so please do educate me.

I have no way of knowing if that study I linked is accurate, but those sorts of things tend to be rigorously peer reviewed and the like, so I figured it was worth sharing, especially as it had made the rounds in other places regarding this particular outbreak. If it has flaws that you can identify, please do.

And I have no idea what your background is, obviously:) So what is it? Always good to hear from someone who knows more, which is just about everyone for just about every topic... I would qualify as an expert in maybe one topic out of a million:)

Last edited:
Like I use to Holla at the recruits when I was a Drill Instructor, "you didn't join the Army to be nasty, yo ass was nasty before you got here." Just amazing how nasty people are when the ability not to be is staring you in the face.

THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!

Reactions: retiredsoldier
I'm more concerned how it will effect the economy, school and places of work more than getting the virus itself. I don't think it's paranoia at all. This virus has spread around the globe faster than any of the previous viral scares and apparently has a two week incubation period were you can spread it before you start showing symptoms. Just be glad it doesn't have the kill rate of Ebola. Also hope it doesn't mutate.

I work for a company owned by South Korea and they leave and come back quite often. South Korea is the next biggest outbreak outside of China.

I'm more concerned how it will effect the economy, school and places of work more than getting the virus itself. I don't think it's paranoia at all. This virus has spread around the globe faster than any of the previous viral scares and apparently has a two week incubation period were you can spread it before you start showing symptoms. Just be glad it doesn't have the kill rate of Ebola. Also hope it doesn't mutate.

I work for a company owned by South Korea and they leave and come back quite often. South Korea is the next biggest outbreak outside of China.

My school district is HUGELY Korean... like, the school on the other side of town (where there is a lot of temporary housing) is like 50% Korean... and yeah, there is a LOT of travel, both of the people themselves but also of family, into and out of the US. And a lot of it, nobody knows about.

Reactions: SWEc/o95
Why would you not wash your hands even when this isn't a virus? Clean hands are an easy way to protect yourself and those around you from germs.

People, say No to BO and Yes to Fresh!

---A free public service announcement from meisperplexed.

Last edited:
Seems like if we all go to events and spread it around, the younger healthy crowd will be fine, but the OFC might be decimated!

part0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT