ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that on the radio on my way to work this afternoon Q. No way that will ever happen though.

If they csncel the tourney then they will have to cancel concerts, MLB , golf tourneys, NASCAR ( thousands of fans go to those), political rallys , Disneyworld and Disneyland and any other event that has large gatherings. OFC

Last edited:
The paranoia over this supercharged rhinovirus is, well, astounding.
Well I just bubble wrapped my house and uh
tenor.gif

Reactions: Fourteen44
Imagine what would happen if this thing mutated and became much more deadly and contagious.* None of us will be leaving our homes for months.

*I watch way too many apocalyptic movies.

I have travel plans to go to the ACC tourney and are re-thinking them. I also work for a fortune 50 tech company and we have halted all non-critical travel for the time being and it’s a huge company. Better safe than sorry.

Two cases reported in Florida a couple hours ago. Gov Desantis declared state health emergency.

Reactions: Quavarius
I’m still going to Vegas for the first weekend of the NCAAT, but part of me wants to tell my elderly parents they should cancel.

Reactions: Quavarius
I've got a hell of a better chance of catching the flu than the coronavirus. Both of them can be deadly (coronavirus worse), but still less than 2 percent I believe. If I had plans already made, I wouldn't let this stop me. Just take sensible precautions and live your life.

OFC
I was going to worry about it, and then i just kept living my life.

Look, I’m not trying to scare anyone or force you to believe this will be catastrophic, but please stay informed.

Businesses and the stock market have already been affected. We could have a huge disruption in our daily lives if this gets as bad as some are predicting which is why they wrote the letter to the NCAA (has any other virus ever made it to the point where the NCAA may have to either cancel or hold games without fans?).

I think 2 people in Washington have already died from this and more people will be tested starting today.

Again, stay informed!

Reactions: CRAZIE4LIFE
I'm going on a cruise the first week of April. Good thing a cruise ship isn't just a giant floating petri dish.

Right guys? Right?

.... Guys?

Common sense solutions are, as of now, the best prevention. Death rates in most places are relatively low compared to something like Ebola, although a good deal higher than the flu... the flu is about a .1 percent mortality rate, corona seems to be somewhere between 1.7 and under 1 percent, although it’s still too early to REALLY know thanks to lack of information, lack of proper testing making it hard to know if we actually know how many people are infected, and because of environmental concerns (ie popularity of smoking in China and amount of pollution.) Seems that the elderly and people who are health compromised are at the most risk, although this thing does get other folks at a higher rate than the regular flu. Kids appear LESS susceptible to corona, so that’s a plus.

If they get to the point that they are cancelling NCAA games, that would be surprising, at least as things are currently. But you never know what’s ahead.

Trying to write it off as just an overexcited media is pretty nuts. You think the CDC is getting antsy because of a Fox story? You think entire countries are cancelling school because of an NBC story? You think the US military is cancelling exercises and restricting movement because of an article on Drudge? The whole “its all the media looking for clicks!” thing has gotten a bit paranoid.

It is obviously going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Personally not happy about it. Working in a school a suburb of NYC that has a huge Asian population who A) travel a lot and receive visitors a lot and B) aren’t good at communicating with the school district sucks, especially when you know first hand how gross kids are and how half assed many custodians are. Yay, working in a virus incubator:(

In terms of sports forums with news, DBR has a good thread going, with regular contributions from a doc whose background is in respiratory viruses. Look for updates from rsvdevil , who says it is not time to panic, but it is time to be concerned for sure.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...0-Coronavirus-Just-Hysteria-or-The-End/page19

Last edited:
Oh, and personally, I wouldn’t go on a cruise unless things changed. Too many people in a tiny space from a wide variety of travel backgrounds, all touching the same stuff, especially on buffet lines. But I’m not a doctor:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT