ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmao this isn’t as bad as the flu, and btw vaccines for influenza aren’t anywhere near 100% effective.

And trust me, in my line of work I’m well informed, just by sources that are frontline that aren’t picked-and-chooses to be shared in media (and politicking).

The percentage of people that die from the Corona virus versus the Flu says different. No, it is not as widespread as the flu and hopefully will not be, but to label it as not as bad is being a bit dishonest.

Reactions: Quavarius
If you have Twitter go check out @into_the_brush in Seattle....has COVID -19 symptoms but cannot get tested. Incredible.

The percentage of people that die from the Corona virus versus the Flu says different. No, it is not as widespread as the flu and hopefully will not be, but to label it as not as bad is being a bit dishonest.
It's difficult to get a real percentage when we don't even know the real number of cases. It's going to be difficult for me to believe that the coronavirus is worse than the flu based on a slightly higher death rate at the moment. Big difference is the flu, though not fully effective, is vaccinated with a high number of people. Take the vaccine away and I don't think the coronavirus even challenges the flu.

Seems irrelevant, though. Because it is killing people and it should definitely be taken serious. I just have a hard time going into panic mode over it.

Reactions: Fourteen44

Stick to your media data my friend. When it starts taking those who aren’t immunocompromised and/or elderly, I’ll start paying more attention. The flu has a nice history taking even those who are healthy.

I may not be the smartest man in the room, but what reasonable explanation could there be for this? How do you communicate with the public about this virus using only still photos?

I may not be the smartest man in the room, but what reasonable explanation could there be for this? How do you communicate with the public about this virus using only still photos?

They did this because yesterday there was video of Pence wiping his nose then shaking the HHS secretary’s hand five minutes later.

Everything from the refs, to fire Cal, to bashing Hagans!! It can’t be more than two weeks ago that they were proclaiming him the best point guard in the country!!
I’m not saying Hagans isn’t good, but there are probably three or four guards I would take before him.

you do know there is a place on the south end of town that basically wholesales ammo?

Outdoor Limited? Huh, did not know they were so inexpensive. I only buy maybe once every two years. I'll probably go there next time.

The W.H.O just stated that the mortality rate for Coronavirus is 3.4 percent. Of course, this figure may change as more data is compiled. I certainly agree that there is no need to panic but saying it is a hoax or claiming that it is just the common cold ( as a few public figures have done) is also not helpful. There are too many people out there who all to willingly latch on to a good conspiracy theory.

In the medical field, just look no further than the anti-vaxxer movement.

The W.H.O just stated that the mortality rate for Coronavirus is 3.4 percent. Of course, this figure may change as more data is compiled. I certainly agree that there is no need to panic but saying it is a hoax or claiming that it is just the common cold ( as a few public figures have done) is also not helpful. There are too many people out there who all to willingly latch on to a good conspiracy theory.

Whoa, really?! That's rather high, compared to recent estimates...

I guess the point is that they are all estimates at this point in time. It is still early in trying to understand this virus.

To know the true mortality rate you have to know everyone who is infected. Supposedly many people have it but it goes unreported, like the Seattle area outbreak.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Outdoor Limited? Huh, did not know they were so inexpensive. I only buy maybe once every two years. I'll probably go there next time.
I bought some 10mm and some .17ammo there. I load most of my stuff. Load all hunting rounds for myself and wife. We need to get together for lunch one day.

Reactions: DukeDenver

3.4% based on what, exactly?

And I’m pro vaccine in terms of population health and I’m literally laughing at the 3.4% stat. Viruses aren’t funny. People getting sick isn’t funny. Loose data and paranoia is funny.

3.4% based on what, exactly?

And I’m pro vaccine in terms of population health and I’m literally laughing at the 3.4% stat. Viruses aren’t funny. People getting sick isn’t funny. Loose data and paranoia is funny.

I know you apparently have some background in medicine, but it feels a bit odd to be simply dismissing information from the World Health Organization. I would assume they have literally hundreds of medical professionals working for them, and this sort of number (which they know will be analyzed to death) would be pretty carefully created.

Reactions: 9dukejames
I know you apparently have some background in medicine, but it feels a bit odd to be simply dismissing information from the World Health Organization. I would assume they have literally hundreds of medical professionals working for them, and this sort of number (which they know will be analyzed to death) would be pretty carefully created.

Because WHO wouldn’t ever cook a number.....

But let’s play your “by the book” game for a second; how long has this virus been active? How many people are affected versus ones that have died (which is easier to track btw even post mortem)? You don’t have the answer, and neither do they. Keep panicking - you’re going to feel pretty silly at the end, or least quieting, of this one. More people will get it, more will die, but when the dust settles I’ll still say Influenza is more dangerous straight up.

Ultimately the paranoia by a few here is pretty astounding. I made a mistake checking on this thread today but I’m done here. I’ll step aside and not challenge the media experts any further.

I do wish you all good health, regardless of this “super” bug.

Last edited:
Because WHO wouldn’t ever cook a number.....

But let’s play your “by the book” game for a second; how long has this virus been active? How many people are affected versus ones that have died (which is easier to track btw even post mortem)? You don’t have the answer, and neither do they. Keep panicking - you’re going to feel pretty silly at the end, or least quieting, of this one. More people will get it, more will die, but when the dust settles I’ll still say Influenza is more dangerous straight up.

Ultimately the paranoia by a few here is pretty astounding. I made a mistake checking on this thread today but I’m done here. I’ll step aside and not challenge the media experts any further.

I do wish you all good health, regardless of this “super” bug.

Good lord, you are a rather dramatic fellow!:) Someone posts information from the World Health Organization. You dismiss the WHO quite flippantly, laughing at them or whatever. I merely say that it seems a bit strange to be laughing at them. That’s it. Nobody is panicking. Nobody is saying there aren’t inherent issues with figuring out such a number... in fact, I think many people have said the exact opposite, that it will be difficult to fully evaluate this thing. I don’t see anyone in the thread being particularly paranoid. I don’t think anyone has said they are experts of any sort in this thread, other than you... in fact, many people I think are sharing what they can find from the experts in an attempt to bring some value to the post. So why do you come in so hot, insisting your won’t ever come back and all the rest? If this is your field, then just take a breath and inform people. Share what you know. But maybe be a bit less dramatic and confrontational? :)

Reactions: dbav
Good lord, you are a rather dramatic fellow!:) Someone posts information from the World Health Organization. You dismiss the WHO quite flippantly, laughing at them or whatever. I merely say that it seems a bit strange to be laughing at them. That’s it. Nobody is panicking. Nobody is saying there aren’t inherent issues with figuring out such a number... in fact, I think many people have said the exact opposite, that it will be difficult to fully evaluate this thing. I don’t see anyone in the thread being particularly paranoid. I don’t think anyone has said they are experts of any sort in this thread, other than you... in fact, many people I think are sharing what they can find from the experts in an attempt to bring some value to the post. So why do you come in so hot, insisting your won’t ever come back and all the rest? If this is your field, then just take a breath and inform people. Share what you know. But maybe be a bit less dramatic and confrontational? :)

Damn, should have known better that you’d have to chirp after I said was done here. You are eerily similar to @Dattier

Someone posted something from WHO? Really? Thank you, Captain Obvious lol. I claimed I was an “expert”? I stated I’ve likely forgotten more about it than you’ve learned, and since you obviously are struggling with virology, that still wouldn’t make me an expert.

I didn’t come in hot, I came in laughing at the paranoia of some here. But hey, backtracking is your M.O. it appears (remember virus versus viruses living in water?) :)

Let’s take a peek down just ONE rabbit hole: most of the deaths and critically ill patients are from nursing home and/or elderly. Is this virus that bad ass? Or did those patients take things like Valium for palliative care (research pneumonia susceptibility while actively taking Diazepam) or even Lisinoprol for HBP? Those two drugs will set a patient up for a potential nightmare if an invading pneumonia-inducing virus or bacteria come knocking. Can we see the patient chart? Is the CDC getting that granular yet? No, and likely not. (See cited reference as example: https://thorax.bmj.com/content/68/2/163)

Einstein (not an insult rather observation based on your political diatribes in the past here where you “reminded” people that you’re an “educator”), I have been sharing some things here, but they don’t fit what you’re looking for, so they’re overlooked. All good! Go get that mask and sanitizer!!

Just remember, just because you may be soft and think this is “confrontational” doesn’t mean I’m being confrontational; I’m nowhere near that. I will, however, poke gaping holes in paranoia being stoked. But since you probably feel “confronted” I’ll go ahead and block (to steal a phrase from Show) your “candy arse” and let you watch CNBC and worry the virus is going to take us all out. Night night :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT