ADVERTISEMENT

Coleman or Green?

I get that. However, just make something more than 20 something % of your shots and it opens up the floor for others like JJ to get better looks. LSU threw every gimmick they could at him and made the others beat them. They didn't. Failed badly doing so. I think these guys are D-1 players for a reason and they had a poor night shooting. Heck a mediocre night shooting and Duke could have won that game. I am salty about that game BTW, if you can't tell. LOL. I felt so bad for JJ and Shelden to have to go out like that.

dukiejay brought up a good point as well, no Shav that game.
I agree on all accounts....... JJ and Sheldon were unreal that year. I remember watching in person the two of the by themselves beating a real good memphis team at MSG.

Shav would definitely have helped, but again we were starting two PGs that IMHO were clearly not that great even with all their accolades. Dockery would have been an awesome back up pg for his career, but in 2005-2006 he and paulus were a big weakness. A good PG with that team, wowsers.

Our offense was extremely efficient in 2010, ranked 1st by KenPom I do believe. That also had a lot to do with our style of play and not necessarily how well Jon did at PG. To his credit though, he didn't turn it over much if I remember correctly. Masterful job by K that season, I loved that team too. I just miss not having that carryover at the PG position. With that being said, basketball as a whole is moving away from the role of a traditional PG. Not many John Stockton's in the NBA.

So Scheyer won't get credit for being Captain of that ship, but other point guards who average 10 assists per game get total credit? What about Russell Westbrook who also typically averages 4.5 - 5 TO's on top of his 10 assists and is generally felt to be the reason why the Thunder could never make it over the hump?

Jon ran his particular team to perfection. He didn't commit a turnover for a month almost early that season. They only had about 3 reliable scorers anyway in Nolan, Kyle and Jon. Jon averaged 4.9 assists that year. Paulus had 5.2 for Duke in 05-06. Vastly different outcomes on vastly different teams.

A point guard is responsible for points, not assists, not number of bounce passes per game. Points. Scheyer did that so why wouldn't he deserve credit? Same this season if Frank and Grayson lead this team to glory.

While I do think we might have been a tired team late that season, I still don't think it's the reason we lost to LSU. Like I said previously, they were a team with tremendous athletes....and that was the recipe to beating Duke that entire season. Especially if we weren't making shots. Tyrus Thomas, Tasmin Mitchell, Magnum Rolle, Garrett Temple and the list goes on. Of those four guys alone, we didn't have a single player who could even approach half their athleticism.

The Tigers scared me the day the field was announced, and when #5 seed Syracuse lost to the #12 seed Texas A&M in the first round I was pretty sure we'd see LSU in the Sweet 16. We were the better team, IMO, but the better team doesn't always win. I just think their length created havoc for us on both offense and defense.

I remember a sequence in that game where I knew we could potentially be in trouble, and some others might remember it. We were up like 53-48 with under 10 minutes left and J.J. got a wide-open look on the right wing for three (and he had so few wide-open looks that entire night)....anyway, he missed it and it turned into a transition basket for LSU. From potentially being up eight to only three in a matter of seconds. We never recovered.

I know in 1999 we should have won the title and that it hurt so much....but 2006 is still one of the more stinging Duke losses for me in my lifetime. I was just sick that night. I'm not sure I watched another game of the tournament that year. I wanted a title so bad for J.J. and Shelden.
99 I was pissed at K and thought he got out coached....... 2004 I was pissed at the officials and thought we clearly should have won.......... 2006 I put a hole in my wall

So Scheyer won't get credit for being Captain of that ship, but other point guards who average 10 assists per game get total credit? What about Russell Westbrook who also typically averages 4.5 - 5 TO's on top of his 10 assists and is generally felt to be the reason why the Thunder could never make it over the hump?

Jon ran his particular team to perfection. He didn't commit a turnover for a month almost early that season. They only had about 3 reliable scorers anyway in Nolan, Kyle and Jon. Jon averaged 4.9 assists that year. Paulus had 5.2 for Duke in 05-06. Vastly different outcomes on vastly different teams.

A point guard is responsible for points, not assists, not number of bounce passes per game. Points. Scheyer did that so why wouldn't he deserve credit? Same this season if Frank and Grayson lead this team to glory.
The brilliancy of the scheyer move and why it worked perfectly for that team was Nolan could guard the oppositions PG.

Scheyer was so efficient, and the team really peaked perfectly. From a talent standpoint, many more duke teams were better.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukehokie
The brilliancy of the scheyer move and why it worked perfectly for that team was Nolan could guard the oppositions PG.

Yep. And we used the so called "pack-line" man D concept. And really, regardless of who brought the ball down, Nolan was goin to be guarding their best perimeter player. That team oozed of chemistry which is why it worked so well.

While Duke was definitely better in 2006, that LSU team had three pros on it, and was almost tailor-made to guard Duke. To hold that Duke team to 54 points is crazy.

Yep. And we used the so called "pack-line" man D concept. And really, regardless of who brought the ball down, Nolan was goin to be guarding their best perimeter player. That team oozed of chemistry which is why it worked so well.
Everyone on that team, probably more than any other knew their role, what was expected of them, held each other accountable and executed the game plan perfectly.

K has gotten better and better as a coach. Pretty impressive

Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT