ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Mitchell Sr upset

ioliva

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jul 30, 2009
Tweet

This is what he posted on Twitter

“We as a family do not support what we’re seeing from Mark at Duke. How do you show up at a university and lose your identity? Both Mark and Duke need to work it out. Disturbing”

Can’t blame him I’ve had similar thoughts. Just crazy that it looks like he’s regressed more than anything. What were his strengths in high school again? Wasn’t he rated higher than Grady dick and was in the same team?

Tweet

This is what he posted on Twitter

“We as a family do not support what we’re seeing from Mark at Duke. How do you show up at a university and lose your identity? Both Mark and Duke need to work it out. Disturbing”

Can’t blame him I’ve had similar thoughts. Just crazy that it looks like he’s regressed more than anything. What were his strengths in high school again? Wasn’t he rated higher than Grady dick and was in the same team?
As I posted on the premium board: Ouch, sort of a strange tweet. Mark is playing about a minute less than last season and is averaging more points and rebounds per game. Not sure what his father is watching, but Mark is a streaky shooter, not a great shooter, and he has been getting to the line a fair amount.

As I posted on the premium board: Ouch, sort of a strange tweet. Mark is playing about a minute less than last season and is averaging more points and rebounds per game. Not sure what his father is watching, but Mark is a streaky shooter, not a great shooter, and he has been getting to the line a fair amount.
He’s talking about the growth of marks play

Which doesn’t look much different than last year. I guess most of us just assumed he’d make a huge jump it just hasn’t come together yet. He did retweet something about his sons ugly shot not improving

Yeah not a good look for the family or the program IMHO. But it’s the age we live in. He could have talked to his son and or the coaching staff privately. But why bother when you can tweet?? :(
That’s true.

Mark is a key piece on the team...like already said ..points and rebounds up...minutes basically unchanged...kid is just in a 3pt funk... he has adjusted, and is attacking and going to the ft line quite a bit....he should still take about 2 3s a game...if he makes 1 take a 3rd at some point

He was shooting bricks from 3 in warmups . Then he would hit a couple in a row. Then 5 more bricks. Not even that close. And he was standing still not even moving around. He needs to forget about the 3. Powers drained like 80% and he was 25 feet out.

Who ever taught him the fundamentals of shooting is who he should be tweeting about. You can make more shots with a lot of practice but his shot lot of luck if it goes. If I were him I would get tough from 15 feet in and work hard on defense and rebounding. That will get you to the next level.

Last edited:
Some guys just aren't good shooters. He could have JJ Redick's mechanics that does not mean the ball will go in. He should work on a pull up 15 footer, which he is probably already practicing. I like Mark but he is the same player he was last year and maybe that's why his dad is frustrated. Right now he looks like a 4 year player. Maybe next year will be his breakout year.

I am sad to read this. I've heard from a good source that there have been unhappy parents before but they normally keep it to themselves or behind the scenes. We live in a different world now.

I really like Mark, seems like a good guy and hard worker, but when parents speak out it never ends well. See, e.g. Derryk Thornton.

Mark n refs more lift on his 3 point shot . It looks like it’s a line drive at the basket.
Mark has always excelled at attacking the basket and scoring around it . IMO, he needs to just keep playing the way he is and improving.

By the time you get to college, your shot can only be tweaked. A 5% three point shooter cannot morph into a 30% three point shooter in college, especially if they are not staying the full four. Most of your shooting form is developed in junior high/high school.

On a side note, I know of a HS coach who had his junior highs have no three point line. Said kids would develop bad shooting form shooting threes at that age because the vast majority do not have the strength to properly shoot a three...

It does seem like when parents are this vocal it never ends well. Maybe this time will be different. I remember Derryck Thornton, Burgess and Avery, who left for the draft. Hope this is resolved, Mark could be a key guy next year as well as this year. His father's posts have been vague, so who knows what he is referring to. Mark did take a lot of heat in the media for his shooting and the fact that teams were not guarding him. The Arkansas coach said as much. That can affect someone.

Last edited:
That's why he gets the big bucks. Jon seems to be pretty good with people.

He's not playing his natural position...SF/WF. Last year you had Flip, Lively, Young...

It does seem like when parents are this vocal it never ends well. Maybe this time will be different. I remember Derryck Thornton, Burgess and Avery, who left for the draft. Hope this is resolved, Mark could be a key guy next year as well as this year. His father's posts have been vague, so who knows what he is referring to. Mark did take a lot of heat in the media for his shooting and the fact that teams were not guarding him. The Arkansas coach said as much. That can affect someone.
Burgess dad wanted more pt. Derryck was young. Avery needed to go. Jay Williams was coming.

Reactions: christophero
Mark needs to attack he basket and defend . He’s not going to hit alot of three’s but his game is inside .
I agree, but at what position? He's a natural mismatch for a SF/WF, but when he is a PF there are some challenges.

I agree, but at what position? He's a natural mismatch for a SF/WF, but when he is a PF there are some challenges.
That’s the issue with not having a PF on the team . Mark is more a sf then he is a pf .

Avery and J Will together would have been ridiculously good. J Will played off the ball with Duhon anyway.

I think he could have. We didn’t need him to be a leader. We had Battier, probably the best leader K ever had.
We give Battier his praise in 2023. In 1999, I wonder if he would've been the voice in that locker room... Chris, Nate, Avery, Jay Will, Boozer...strong personalities.

Jason Williams signed with Duke with the expectation that both Avery and Corey Maggette would be back for the 2000 season and he likely was going to be a sixth man, similar to David Henderson in 1984 and 1985.

Battier was a junior in 2000, Carawell a senior. I do not think leadership would have been an issue.

With all due respect, I've never heard anyone else suggest that Duke wouldn't have benefitted from having a junior Will Avery on the 2000 team.

Jason Williams signed with Duke with the expectation that both Avery and Corey Maggette would be back for the 2000 season and he likely was going to be a sixth man, similar to David Henderson in 1984 and 1985.

Battier was a junior in 2000, Carawell a senior. I do not think leadership would have been an issue.

With all due respect, I've never heard anyone else suggest that Duke wouldn't have benefitted from having a junior Will Avery on the 2000 team.
I totally understand and see the reasoning in your argument. I can even understand the recruit believing guys will return. What we saw in 34 games at Duke was special. 15 - 1 conference/ 29 - 5 overall. Battier 17.4, Chris 16.9 and Jay 14.5... Avery would've wanted his shots. He would taken Trajan's scoring the previous season, 17.3.

It just would've been difficult to balance.

Avery is my favorite Duke guard ever. He was just so smooth. I think he would have had a monster junior year.

Reactions: timo0402
I'm not taking a jab at Avery. I'm just talking about a kid that watched three players go pro(lottery), Taymon graduate and Burgess transfer. Yes, Battier and Chris are returning, but he may feel like top dog. We're talking about a 19/20 year old, not 40 plus year old.

Reactions: pisgah101
I remember reading that Brand, Maggettte, Langdon and Avery were a tight clique so that may have factored in. He was projected first round anyway; nowadays he would definitely be 2 and done.

Reactions: jamsession2
I remember reading that Brand, Maggettte, Langdon and Avery were a tight clique so that may have factored in. He was projected first round anyway; nowadays he would definitely be 2 and done.
They were very tight. What would his role be coming back, with a demanding Coach K? That kid would've needed to be extremely mature. The UConn lost hurt. Lots of critics of that game. Critics of him.

Reactions: christophero
He's not playing his natural position...SF/WF. Last year you had Flip, Lively, Young...
Last year we were 215th in three point percentage at 33%, 251st in total threes made. Can you imagine how bad our three point shooting would be this year if we had Mark at sf? We aren't great this year but much better than last season. We are at 36%, currently 76th in the country.

Does it really matter on the Avery/JWill debate? It has been so long i am sure we can find evidence to make a good argument for both sides. At the end of the day it did not happen...

Somewhere in the multiverse there exists a timeline where Avery, Brand and Maggette all agreed to run it back, went 40-0, and beat Michigan State in the championship game by 30.

Last year we were 215th in three point percentage at 33%, 251st in total threes made. Can you imagine how bad our three point shooting would be this year if we had Mark at sf? We aren't great this year but much better than last season. We are at 36%, currently 76th in the country.
Definitely need a good outside shooter and scorer at the SF. McCain is doing an excellent job and getting better every week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT