ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Mitchell Sr upset

Last year we were 215th in three point percentage at 33%, 251st in total threes made. Can you imagine how bad our three point shooting would be this year if we had Mark at sf? We aren't great this year but much better than last season. We are at 36%, currently 76th in the country.
I can't argue that point. I was watching the top 10 plays of 2023 on YouTube. Mark was in 3. He played relaxed last year with no pressure. Lively, Roach, and Flip were the focus. On top of the fact, Dariq was supposed to start at the SF/WF. This year he's asked to do more and play out of position. The requirements for this year's team just may be over his head.

Last edited:
Definitely need a good outside shooter and scorer at the SF. McCain is doing an excellent job and getting better every week.
Duke has Power but he’s only a shooter at this stage and next season Duke will have plenty of shooters at the SF spot .

I agree, but at what position? He's a natural mismatch for a SF/WF, but when he is a PF there are some challenges.
Some challenges, but known greater than clanking wide open jumpshots....I do like how he has adjusted thus far and is attacking that open space

Reactions: jamsession2
Duke has Power but he’s only a shooter at this stage and next season Duke will have plenty of shooters at the SF spot .
Power can DRAIN IT, that's obvious. When he's on a wing or in corner, he needs to move a little more and be LESS STATIONERY. I think this will AT LEAST get him some touches.

OFC

"lose your identity" - what was his identity before Duke? Wasn't he billed as a slasher who can rebound and defend? He's doing a really good job of that now and Duke is putting him in position to do this. He's 1/20 from 3....

"both Mark and Duke need to work it out" calling both out on Twitter?

Arizona's coach had a brilliant/gutsy game plan that every other single team decided to adopt going forward. We saw this with Tre Jones against UCF in the tourny...it was gutsy but worked. From my perspective as a fan, the coaching staff has done a phenomenal job working around this weakness. I'd be pissed if they were giving Mark the greenlight at the top of the key every time. And Mark has been very effective and logging tons of minutes. He can hit FT at a decent % so the 3 ball to me seems purely mental, which I don't really know how Duke is more or equally accountable than the player himself.

He can see the 2024 recruiting class. He knows Mark has zero chance of retaining his starting position next year. This is the make or break season for Mark. Either he shows out and becomes a draft pick, or he's coming off the bench as a role player next year.

"lose your identity" - what was his identity before Duke? Wasn't he billed as a slasher who can rebound and defend? He's doing a really good job of that now and Duke is putting him in position to do this. He's 1/20 from 3....

"
Perhaps Mitchell Sr. was talking about non-basketball identity. A subsequent tweet, since deleted, referenced religion.

Reactions: Friction.
He can see the 2024 recruiting class. He knows Mark has zero chance of retaining his starting position next year. This is the make or break season for Mark. Either he shows out and becomes a draft pick, or he's coming off the bench as a role player next year.
Portal a possibility

Reactions: hart2chesson
I hear that. Flip is gone. Flagg and Mark and can play together. If Mark was to return next year, he would have a 'huge chip' on his shoulders. The practices would be highly physical. Now a junior Mark can play the pf with ease.

How do you know Mark has a zero percent chance of retaining his starting spot? Are you on the Duke coaching staff?

Mark will be fine. He’s been playing better as has the whole team lately. I agree that Mitchell is trying to get adjusted to the 4 spot this season since he played the 3 last season with Flip as the 4 and Lively as the 5. Mitchell just needs to continue to attack the basket, rebound and defend at a high level. If Lance Thomas was able to make a career in the nba by rebounding and defending, Mitchell can get there he just needs to be consistent. Mitchell’s upside is higher than Lance’s was, this is not a slight against Lance by the way.

How do you know Mark has a zero percent chance of retaining his starting spot? Are you on the Duke coaching staff?

Mark will be fine. He’s been playing better as has the whole team lately. I agree that Mitchell is trying to get adjusted to the 4 spot this season since he played the 3 last season with Flip as the 4 and Lively as the 5. Mitchell just needs to continue to attack the basket, rebound and defend at a high level. If Lance Thomas was able to make a career in the nba by rebounding and defending, Mitchell can get there he just needs to be consistent. Mitchell’s upside is higher than Lance’s was, this is not a slight against Lance by the way.
Lance wanted to be a PF. Lance came to Duke playing PF. Lance never adjusted his role at Duke.

Lance wanted to be a PF. Lance came to Duke playing PF. Lance never adjusted his role at Duke.
But has Mark really had to adjust ? He’s 6’8-9” and is better suited for WF . I don’t know if he will really play pf in the league . He’s a 3/D type player without the shot right now . I’m telling every one his best comparison is Gerald “Crash “ Wallace . Hit three’s from time to time but defends and plays good around the basket . This Mark we are seeing is his best version .

But has Mark really had to adjust ? He’s 6’8-9” and is better suited for WF . I don’t know if he will really play pf in the league . He’s a 3/D type player without the shot right now . I’m telling every one his best comparison is Gerald “Crash “ Wallace . Hit three’s from time to time but defends and plays good around the basket . This Mark we are seeing is his best version .
Gerald is an excellent comparison. You can see it tonight.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
The nba plays far smaller in the last 5 years or more. There are a lot of players mark’s size playing the 4. He really is more a natural 4 with some guard skills and can guard multiple positions.
His shooting is for sure affecting his confidence but he has played a lot more aggressive the last 5 games. I want to see him continue to shoot a couple 3s a game and hopefully get his confidence back.

The nba plays far smaller in the last 5 years or more. There are a lot of players mark’s size playing the 4. He really is more a natural 4 with some guard skills and can guard multiple positions.
His shooting is for sure affecting his confidence but he has played a lot more aggressive the last 5 games. I want to see him continue to shoot a couple 3s a game and hopefully get his confidence back.
That's changing...see Orlando, Denver, Milwaukee, Utah, and Minny

Good call!

That's changing...see Orlando, Denver, Milwaukee, Utah, and Minny
It might change over time because the nba always does but the majority of teams run a small forward at the 4. Plus the bucks run giannis at the 4 and he is a small forward or wing in skill. Same could be said for Denver since Gordon isn’t that big and porter is essentially a tall guard. The others I agree are running a bigger lineup by todays standards.

It might change over time because the nba always does but the majority of teams run a small forward at the 4. Plus the bucks run giannis at the 4 and he is a small forward or wing in skill. Same could be said for Denver since Gordon isn’t that big and porter is essentially a tall guard. The others I agree are running a bigger lineup by todays standards.
This post is so true. There are bunch of forwards in the league that are just on the wing. The physical presence is unwanted or unable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT