ADVERTISEMENT

Coleman or Green?

Duke will be fortunate to land either. I personally like Colemans' game better.

Is there a complete recruit list yet, or is that information for premium?

Just a heads up for everyone here. I do not share premium info. Why? Because I am not part of any premium info forum. I make all my predictions and statements off of feel and folks close to the program I know. Just putting that out there.

Just a heads up for everyone here. I do not share premium info. Why? Because I am not part of any premium info forum. I make all my predictions and statements off of feel and folks close to the program I know. Just putting that out there.

Thanks Show. I didn't mean to imply you did. I just did not want to overstep my bounds by asking. I meant to ask if the complete list is premium.

I appreciate all the info you give and your take on recruitments. They definitely tend to be spot on. Sorry my post indicated otherwise.

That's the way to do it show.

Thanks guys for giving us whatever you can. Much appreciated.

dbav , I know you weren't implying that my friend but I was afraid some may have thought that. Just wanted to cover my bases.

Reactions: dbav
I think it is pretty clear judging by your predictions and comments that you are not using any premium info!!!! :) j/k..... couldn't resist

^ That made me laugh, Haha. I think I know one person that Show speaks with from time to time. If it is the same person I am thinking of, he's not being led astray.

I've got 3 hookups, 2 of them have almost never failed me.

The Quade stuff is getting interesting. IMO this a last effort more than an indication if that makes sense. I think our best chance is Coleman.

In the article DBR linked this morning (from Zagsblog I believe), Coleman says the staff told him he was the only guy they were recruiting as his position.

I like coleman better as well. Green is probably a little more polished offensively, but I think he'll have some growing pains in college, especially defensively.

Coleman IMHO has higher upside and defensive abilities from Day 1.

Andrew Slater said that he thinks there's legit interest on both sides for Duval and Duke but Duval would need to get his academic credits straightened up from last year before going to IMG. He also said that he thinks Duke "could" land both Coleman and Duval with Coleman being that program PG who stays his years and Duval the OAD PG. he used the example of K Irving and Thornton in the same recruiting class.

Andrew Slater said that he thinks there's legit interest on both sides for Duval and Duke but Duval would need to get his academic credits straightened up from last year before going to IMG. He also said that he thinks Duke "could" land both Coleman and Duval with Coleman being that program PG who stays his years and Duval the OAD PG. he used the example of K Irving and Thornton in the same recruiting class.
Understand the comparison, but know that Coleman is not thornton. Thornton was a warrior, but Coleman has some high end potential.

Understand the comparison, but know that Coleman is not thornton. Thornton was a warrior, but Coleman has some high end potential.

Define high-end. While I like what Coleman brings he certainly has limitations like T. Thornton did. I don't see Coleman ever being the kind of PG who's handed the keys at Duke....in fact, I think the other Thornton (Derryck) had a much higher upside. I like the '18 guys we're recruiting over him and feel like Tre Jones is just about a stone-cold lock to matriculate at Duke. He's better than Coleman right now.

And let me preface....Coleman is a good player. We'd be lucky to have him. That said, I'm not totally convinced he's the kind of player who I ever see being a multi-year starter at Duke.

Define high-end. While I like what Coleman brings he certainly has limitations like T. Thornton did. I don't see Coleman ever being the kind of PG who's handed the keys at Duke....in fact, I think the other Thornton (Derryck) had a much higher upside. I like the '18 guys we're recruiting over him and feel like Tre Jones is just about a stone-cold lock to matriculate at Duke. He's better than Coleman right now.

And let me preface....Coleman is a good player. We'd be lucky to have him. That said, I'm not totally convinced he's the kind of player who I ever see being a multi-year starter at Duke.
By high end, I see athleticism and Defense. Thornton had to use his toughness and smarts similar to Matt jones since they both lack the athleticism to be naturally gifted defenders. Yeah I don't see Coleman being an absolute all around game changing stud, but having him as back up option and on bench would be big. I think Duke hasn't had enough physically gifted defensive players on its bench. That's why Javin excites the heck out of me. If he never develops into a stud offensively, he will have his athleticism, motor, and defense to contribute with.

You like Tre Jones that much? Even evaluating if you didn't know he was Tyus brother?

You like Tre Jones that much? Even evaluating if you didn't know he was Tyus brother?

I try the best I can to separate the two, but I know I'm guilty of making the comparisons. i won't deny that.

What Tre has that Tyus didn't is the length to be more disruptive on defense. And believe it or not, he might be a better game manager than Tyus. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the "Stones" his older brother did. That said, few do. But in many respects, I think his game is more advanced than Tyus's. I don't think he'll ever make the impact of a Tyus for the simple fact that Tyus was such a rare breed, but Tre is a kid who can be really, really good for three years in college because the NBA might not be a true, first-round option before then.
Hopefully that made a little bit of sense.

I get what you're saying dj, but I do think the percentages are low that Tre ends up being better than Tyus. BUT, Tre will be at Duke longer so maybe he racks up more titles. I could even see Tre challenging Hurley's assist record if he continues to be surrounded by scoring talent.

With Matt, 2017 is devoid of signature players. Michael Porter Jr. and Wendell Carter are the two and maybe only two players I see who could make this class relevant in the history books. One area that is severely lacking is point guard. Judging by the product that is out there, there are about 5 PG's who you can point to and say they'll make some large strides at the next level. Collin Sexton, Trae Young, Duval, Green and Felton. And those guys barring Duval wouldn't have been top 20 in the last class or the next class.

So as much as we're praying for a point guard, we can't heap so much hope on Matt. He is Sean Dockery which isn't bad at all. But like jay and Nasty were saying, his role/impact are probably going to be extremely similar. Never a full time starter, never a go to guy. A solid program guy. We need that to balance the one and dones anyway.

I think everyone is saying the same thing, but in different ways. Whether your comparison is T. Thornton or Sean Dockery or whoever, the impact is always the same.

Either way, I see no scenario that brings Duval to Duke. This smells of John Wall all day long.

I try the best I can to separate the two, but I know I'm guilty of making the comparisons. i won't deny that.

What Tre has that Tyus didn't is the length to be more disruptive on defense. And believe it or not, he might be a better game manager than Tyus. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the "Stones" his older brother did. That said, few do. But in many respects, I think his game is more advanced than Tyus's. I don't think he'll ever make the impact of a Tyus for the simple fact that Tyus was such a rare breed, but Tre is a kid who can be really, really good for three years in college because the NBA might not be a true, first-round option before then.
Hopefully that made a little bit of sense.
Why do you think he doesn't get the same rankings as his brother dig?

Why do you think he doesn't get the same rankings as his brother dig?

I'll answer that. He's not as talented. Not that he isn't talented, but IMO he's not the player Tyus was and we shouldn't throw that on him. He'll carve out his own niche at Duke.

I'll answer that. He's not as talented. Not that he isn't talented, but IMO he's not the player Tyus was and we shouldn't throw that on him. He'll carve out his own niche at Duke.
Easy answer & to add to it- run your own race Tre. He can cement his own legacy at Duke. Like Miles did, and then Mason and then Marshall.

Reactions: dukehokie
I assumed this as well. Tyus was awesome, and perfect for the 2015 team. But he was not as talented as his ranking imho, and if his brother is less talented than him he shouldn't be banked on to be starting pg for multiple years. Tyus had a lot of really bad games, people forget about them because he was awesome in all the real big games.

Reactions: dukehokie
I assumed this as well. Tyus was awesome, and perfect for the 2015 team. But he was not as talented as his ranking imho, and if his brother is less talented than him he shouldn't be banked on to be starting pg for multiple years. Tyus had a lot of really bad games, people forget about them because he was awesome in all the real big games.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Tre can and will start for Duke and do so for 2-3 years. I just don't expect him to hit the game sealing three to win a national title if you catch my drift.

Reactions: skysdad
The chances are probably zero that Tre is as good as Tyus. I wasn't saying Tre would be better and apologize if that's how it came across.

The two are quite different. That's my point. And Tre possesses some strengths that were weak spots, IMO, for Tyus. The main one being defense. The other being game management, although I wouldn't say Tyus was weak in this regard..

Tyus was ranked higher, IMO because 1) he was a dynamic scorer (not sure I ever see that from Tre, 2) Tyus has an uncanny ability to win games by himself, and 3) his long term game just projected better.

Tre has no chance of being one-and-done, but he should be around longer and more of a staple. Again, I'm not saying he's better than Tyus.

The chances are probably zero that Tre is as good as Tyus. I wasn't saying Tre would be better and apologize if that's how it came across.

The two are quite different. That's my point. And Tre possesses some strengths that were weak spots, IMO, for Tyus. The main one being defense. The other being game management, although I wouldn't say Tyus was weak in this regard..

Tyus was ranked higher, IMO because 1) he was a dynamic scorer (not sure I ever see that from Tre, 2) Tyus has an uncanny ability to win games by himself, and 3) his long term game just projected better.

Tre has no chance of being one-and-done, but he should be around longer and more of a staple. Again, I'm not saying he's better than Tyus.
Makes sense, I just miss duke having stud pgs.

Nasty, when you haven't had pizza in a week, do you miss it too? J/k man.
Bone in rib eye, yes!

I just think we've struggled with pg depth, and high quality pg play. Should be the easiest position for duke to recruit, but we've missed in our targets or evaluations a lot post Duhon years.

FWIW, I noticed that slater, Lykins, and Rowe all changed their picks to Duke on Coleman.

Last edited:
I have some friends/family who are huge cuse fans. They seem to think Green is all but locked up for them. Idk how true this is or not, but thats what theyre saying.

I don't see why both could not play together... Having watched a little video on both, Coleman looks like a lead guard version of Kenny Anderson and Green a pure point guard. I'd love to see press centric teams like Louisville try to press those two for 40 min. It would definitely be fun to watch and I don't think it would work out well for teams who tried to press us or tried to play too fast with us. Both look like 1-2 year guys and would provide a lot match up nightmares. Also athletic enough to be defensive talents. Their probably would be a lot synergy with any lap year Tre would have with them in chasing one or both around getting use to a step up in college size and athleticism. Just a thought...not sure about the scolie numbers for next year but would be fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT