ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K says we have lack of depth

duhondukie

Cameron Crazy
Jan 12, 2010
i just read one of K’s quote from the game today. He said we are not deep but we are big. I don’t understand this statement. We played 6 guys the second half. What happened to O’Connel, Bolden, Goldwire. We have depth we just don’t use it.

We have used it so far this year. Coach determined that no one beyond those 6 were ready to help us in the 2nd half today. He is aware of the fact we have other players on the roster.

Twitter, one of his comments after the game. I am not trying to question him, I just don’t really understand the “lack of depth” comment

We have used it so far this year. Coach determined that no one beyond those 6 were ready to help us in the 2nd half today. He is aware of the fact we have other players on the roster.
I find it curious that fan bases continue to question our respective coaches habits.

- why doesn’t Roy call a TO? Why does he play so many weird rotations? He needs to change it up!

- why isn’t K playing “________” today? Only 6 guys? He needs to develop a bench!

Reactions: skysdad and Dattier
i just read one of K’s quote from the game today. He said we are not deep but we are big. I don’t understand this statement. We played 6 guys the second half. What happened to O’Connel, Bolden, Goldwire. We have depth we just don’t use it.

Watch the clip. Don’t read what someone said on Twitter. That way you can get a little bit of context.

I’ll admit the comment made me cringe a bit, but I took it to mean we’re still developing that part of the team. He was talking about this not being a good defensive team, partly because they haven’t practiced much. He then said we’re young, we’re talented, but not as deep.....causing a different dynamic of how to play defense.

Apparently he has high standards for his bench. Our 4 and 5 stars on the bench must be terrible.
If there's anyone out there that somehow tries to justify what K said, I want some of what they're drinking.

Watch the clip. Don’t read what someone said on Twitter. That way you can get a little bit of context.

I’ll admit the comment made me cringe a bit, but I took it to mean we’re still developing that part of the team. He was talking about this not being a good defensive team, partly because they haven’t practiced much. He then said we’re young, we’re talented, but not as deep.....causing a different dynamic of how to play defense.
The problem with that rationale is it is used every year. Do any of us think he won't be saying the same thing in Feb?

It's frustrating that we literally pick which 5-star players we want and yet we see the exact same thing every year. I just don't think a leopard can change its spots in this case.

I will try to do better and live up to your standards Dukejay, my mistake. I wasn’t questioning him, just wondered what people thought about the comment. My mistake buddy. Have a good night fellas

I will openly question the tight rotation today. We really needed a boost from somewhere to open the second half. Bolden had played well early. Alex and JG were certainly an option. Bagley was half assing it on defense all damn day. I thought we could’ve used a sub or two more. K has his philosophy. It has worked many times. Today it may have hurt, hard to rewrite history though.

I will try to do better and live up to your standards Dukejay, my mistake. I wasn’t questioning him, just wondered what people thought about the comment. My mistake buddy. Have a good night fellas

You said you didn’t understand the comment. I told you to watch the clip, rather than decipher without context. Then I explained how and what I took it to mean. You didn’t like that answer because it doesn’t fit the narrative you’re trying to play here....as evidenced by saying “we have depth we just don’t use it.”

You have a good night, too, buddy!

Reactions: dbav
I will agree Bagley at times appears to get s pass when it comes to defense unlike say Bolden or Carter.

When the break comes I think K will work some things out but this team shouldn’t have lost to BC and at one point they out rebounded all Dukes size.

Duke will need the bench going to six players will not work when the team is this young.

Reactions: Mac9192
Again, K can play 4 guys if that is what he wants to do, he has earned that right. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around his lack of depth comment. If there is a reason for a lack of depth then that is on the coaches and nobody else. Either they did a poor job recruiting depth or are not using it. Maybe I am wrong as dukejay pointed out but many people on social media are wondering about that comment and what exactly he was saying.

Reactions: hart2chesson
If we only used 6 in the second half that is a very troubling sign. Its definitely a pattern of the last few years. While 8 was enough ...that isnt very common for teams that go deep in March

There does appear to be a lack of depth at point guard. When Duval goes out with foul trouble, or when he doesn't play well and is benched or even when he goes out to take a breather, the current fall back position is to move Grayson Allen to pg where he does a nice job of distributing the ball. But moving him to point guard takes him away from being one of the most dynamic scoring guards in all of college basketball. It would be really great if there were another point guard ready to go when needed so as not to take Grayson away from what he does best. But apparently there is no one else at this point.

There does appear to be a lack of depth at point guard. When Duval goes out with foul trouble, or when he doesn't play well and is benched or even when he goes out to take a breather, the current fall back position is to move Grayson Allen to pg where he does a nice job of distributing the ball. But moving him to point guard takes him away from being one of the most dynamic scoring guards in all of college basketball. It would be really great if there were another point guard ready to go when needed so as not to take Grayson away from what he does best. But apparently there is no one else at this point.
For a possession, Grayson would be the choice. Jordan Goldwater is ahead of expectations at this point, but he apparently isn't ready quite yet.

Would be nice if Bagley got some touches down the stretch.

Everyone is so damn touchy around here, relax. We are still a really good basketball team. We are the same team that was behind Portland State and should have lost to Texas and Florida. We have a funny way of forgetting the mistakes as long as we get the W. Maybe our guys will take a longer deeper look at themselves now that we have a blemish to our record.

I don’t see how it can be a bad thing to accept this loss and now start to grow. It will be meaningless come March. We all want the sexy roster, we have to deal with the growing pains. They don’t teach defense in AAU, they just don’t. Let’s see how this group responds.

We are not that deep. Our starting five are all nba first rounders however:
  • Alex O isn’t physically mature yet.
  • Goldwire was going to play for Eastern Kentucky this year. Not a top D 1 recruit.
  • Jack White was recruited by Boise State and was a low three star recruit. Not a top D 1 recruit.
  • Vrank was a low three star recruit. Not a top D 1 recruit.
  • Jordan Tucker was a top 80 type recruit that probably develop in a year or two if he sticks around.
  • Javin was a 4 star recruit top 40 player that is still a little raw offensively. He is Stating to develop and can play.
  • Bolden was the top center in the nation coming into Duke last year but hasn’t produced to his rankings yet.
This Duke team doesn’t have experienced guys they can bring off the bench or the talent that they have had in past years sitting on the bench. There is only one McDonald’s All American on the bench which is Bolden. Javin is good but not great.

In years past Duke had 4 of 5 McDonald’s Americans on the bench this year it is just Bolden.

From a talent perspective this team is really about 7 deep. There is a noticeable drop off from our starting five to our bench.

Reactions: Dattier
  • Goldwire was going to play for Eastern Kentucky this year. Not a top D 1 recruit.
  • Jack White was recruited by Boise State and was a low three star recruit. Not a top D 1 recruit.
  • Jordan Tucker was a top 80 type recruit that probably develop in a year or two if he sticks around.
  • Javin was a 4 star recruit top 40 player that is still a little raw offensively. He is Stating to develop and can play.
  • Bolden was the top center in the nation coming into Duke last year but hasn’t produced to his rankings yet.
This Duke team doesn’t have experienced guys they can bring off the bench or the talent that they have had in past years sitting on the bench. There is only one McDonald’s All American on the bench which is Bolden. Javin is good but not great.

In years past Duke had 4 of 5 McDonald’s Americans on the bench this year it is just Bolden.

From a talent perspective this team is really about 7 deep. There is a noticeable drop off from our starting five to our bench.
I’d take our bench over just about any other team. Having 4 4-star guys and 3-4 solid 3-stars is pretty rare.

Yeah Allen was pretty slow out there too except for a few hustle plays. I feel like Alex closes out pretty well. We can’t have our best two guys dragging tail.
Grayson always looks slow on d. He made some great plays today though. Our defense is trash. We need someone to step up and be our leader on defense. The guy is Javin, the problem is he can’t dribble or shoot, that’s a big problem.

We are not that deep because K doesn't go past 7 normally. What we saw in 2nd half is what he has done quite often for his entire career, and that's play 6 guys. He chose these guys and it's on him to get them to develop. O'Connell is a player, regardless of his size, and Goldwire could be an adequate backup.
Of course the bench isn't as good as the starting 5. He's getting the diamonds for a year or two. No team has 10-12 5 stars. But to say we don't have a bench is not true. It's the route he chooses, regardless if any of us agree. Either way, I'll still pull hard even though I don't always agree with what he does.

Yep, and then nice if he looked alert on D too. He was not engaged today.

Be careful Denver. It's not acceptable to criticize a future nba all star.

You guys have seen Bagley all season, including the Texas and Florida games. Does he strike you as an ass-dragger who is not engaged on the court?

If your answer to that is no, then you should think before you post. If your answer to that is yes, well, you probably just shouldn't post.

Reactions: GAAP
You guys have seen Bagley all season, including the Texas and Florida games. Does he strike you as an ass-dragger who is not engaged on the court?

If your answer to that is no, then you should think before you post. If your answer to that is yes, well, you probably just shouldn't post.
No one suggested he is lazy in general. He was a step slow on D yesterday. He wasn’t getting deep into his stance like he’s done all year.

We are not that deep because K doesn't go past 7 normally. What we saw in 2nd half is what he has done quite often for his entire career, and that's play 6 guys. He chose these guys and it's on him to get them to develop. O'Connell is a player, regardless of his size, and Goldwire could be an adequate backup.
Of course the bench isn't as good as the starting 5. He's getting the diamonds for a year or two. No team has 10-12 5 stars. But to say we don't have a bench is not true. It's the route he chooses, regardless if any of us agree. Either way, I'll still pull hard even though I don't always agree with what he does.
Earlier you claimed we have a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys on the bench:
Apparently he has high standards for his bench. Our 4 and 5 stars on the bench must be terrible.
If there's anyone out there that somehow tries to justify what K said, I want some of what they're drinking.
Without being called out, you were shown to be factually incorrect (and I'll add, melodramatic), so now you're defending your bruised and fragile ego, then returning to you good ol' stand-by, the unfalsifiable you-have-to-use-the-bench-to-develop-the-bench. Alex and Quis have played in every game they've dressed for this season so far. They sit for a second half that saw us down double-digits on the road and now you're acting as if the GOAT -- the master of adaptation -- just arbitrarily and inexplicably veered away from your simple development formula.

No one suggested he is lazy in general. He was a step slow on D yesterday. He wasn’t getting deep into his stance like he’s done all year.

The line the other guy threw in about criticizing a future NBA all- star was dripping with contempt. Bagley appeared frustrated to be sure, but it's hard for me to say a guy wasn't engaged who went for 15 and 12 in only his second hostile road game.

We are just a spoiled fan base. We (I'm including myself) want to win every game and then when we lose a game we get frustrated and want to point fingers and give reasons why we lost. You just stated that K has played 6 guys for most of his career in the 2nd half and I agree. This strategy has also made him the winningest coach in basketball and given our fans 5 championships. I'll continue to sometimes scratch my head, but I'll always know that we have the G.O.A.T. and that he has a plan for these players. It's just one game, this team will get much, much better as the season progresses. In the past when we had a veteran squad, it seemed like we peaked early. This team has a lot of room for improvement which is awesome. Let's just let the season play out like 2015.

Yeah, I don't buy it. Yeah yeah, k has forgotten more etc etc. But I just don't buy it. OC and Javin and Bolden should get regular minutes. To be honest, I trust OC as much as I trust Tre or GTJr.

Earlier you claimed we have a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys on the bench:

Without being called out, you were shown to be factually incorrect (and I'll add, melodramatic), so now you're defending your bruised and fragile ego, then returning to you good ol' stand-by, the unfalsifiable you-have-to-use-the-bench-to-develop-the-bench. Alex and Quis have played in every game they've dressed for this season so far. They sit for a second half that saw us down double-digits on the road and now you're acting as if the GOAT -- the master of adaptation -- just arbitrarily and inexplicably veered away from your simple development formula.
Silly Datt, it's not my formula. What did I say that wasn't true. He doesn't go deep into bench, we do have 4 and 5 stars over there. Most teams would love to have the guys we have siting. As the season goes, now here's the tricky part, so pay attention you silly silly boy, K trims it down, again not a lie.
Then in his presser, he says we're not deep. Big but not deep. I don't care if he's won 10 games or 10,000, that's a stupid comment. And if you defend that dumb comment, well Datt, I'd suggest you put the kool-aid down.

Reactions: pisgah101
The line the other guy threw in about criticizing a future NBA all- star was dripping with contempt. Bagley appeared frustrated to be sure, but it's hard for me to say a guy wasn't engaged who went for 15 and 12 in only his second hostile road game.
He wanted to step it up, and tried, but seemed to lack the energy or physical commitment in the 2nd half. He didn’t seem his normal beast mode. Sometimes we get ourselves in a fog. It happens. The best players find ways to drag themselves out. He’ll be able to most days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT