ADVERTISEMENT

Proud of this team and the coaches

Quavarius

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 12, 2009
Just want to say how proud I am of this team and the way our coaches turned the season around. We didn’t have the ending we wanted, but going 27-9 in his first year after Coach K and damn near undefeated with all healthy starters (it will always be FU refs at Virginia), the program is in great hands with Coach Scheyer.

Now we await the futures of those who are going to the NBA and to see who all will be back. No need to tear down these kids who competed all season long. Encourage them. The future is bright, Duke fans!

See ya next season!

Winning the ACC tournament makes it great season.
Yup! We get to hang a banner and don’t forget we went undefeated at home and swept and kept the Holes out of the tournament! Really impressed with Coach Scheyer. He’s going to breakthrough sooner rather than later. The Mark Mitchell injury right before the game was a killer and the bracket certainty opened up for us as well as playing at MSG in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. The universe is strange and has a way of correcting itself in the future 😏

I would have liked to make it further, but I feel like they salvaged a potentially terrible season and made it respectable. It was a nice change to see a Duke team get consistently better as the year went on as opposed to one who peaks early and has to live up to early success.

Missing Mitchell today was a bad deal. But they didn't perform well enough to move on regardless. Tennessee was Missing pieces too, so no excuses. Just a bummer.

I really enjoyed watching this team grow and win an ACC Championship. Seem like a great group of kids and Jon got some great experience and won some big games, particularly sweeping UNC.
But I HATE losing in the first weekend and hate losing most of our team in may. You can't learn from this year if you leave. I really hope some people return. Obviously some of them should go. But if they all leave I will be discouraged. Still, enjoyed watching our team and good job Jon. If we can't get guys to stay we need some grown men in the portal. If it's just Young, Blakes, Schutt, and a bunch of freshman we could be in for a rough ride next season.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed watching this team grow and win an ACC Championship. Seem like a great group of kids and Jon got some great experience and won some big games, particularly sweeping UNC.
But I HATE losing in the first weekend and hate losing most of our team in may. You can't learn from this year if you leave. I really hope some people return. Obviously some of them should go. But if they all leave I will be discouraged. Still, enjoyed watching our team and good job Jon. If we can't get guys to stay we need some grown men in the portal. If it's just Young, Blakes, Schutt, and a bunch of freshman we could be in for a rough ride next season.
Don’t be discouraged over kids chasing their dreams and doing what’s best for them! Congratulate them and welcome in the new players. We’re used to this. Unless the NBA changes its rule, this is to be expected. We’re gonna recruit the best and the best are being forced to be one year removed from HS before entering the NBA.

Not saying a huge shift. Just imagine if we had Keels yesterday
I wonder if he regrets leaving. He would've given us another bully ball guy. One thing I will say, Flip is tough. Most guys would've wilted after getting smacked, punched, and knocked around all year. We would be so damn lucky to get him back.

I would have liked to make it further, but I feel like they salvaged a potentially terrible season and made it respectable. It was a nice change to see a Duke team get consistently better as the year went on as opposed to one who peaks early and has to live up to early success.

Missing Mitchell today was a bad deal. But they didn't perform well enough to move on regardless. Tennessee was Missing pieces too, so no excuses. Just a bummer.
Yeah but Tennessee had preparation with the loss of their missing piece. We found out 5 min. before the game about our missing piece. So not quite apples to apples. But I agree with everything else you said.

Nice post Q. I agree completely. The way things started this year, it looked like we were in for a long season. Jon and the players turned things around and gave us lots to cheer for down the stretch. I am with you Chris, it's like a gut punch not to make it to the second weekend, but we ran into the perfect storm Saturday. Now we play the who stays/who goes waiting game.

Still, a lot to be proud of this year. I'll try to focus on that!

headliners read “duke out toughed and bullied” BS! they just made shots and we didn’t
We were out toughed, bullied, or whatever word you can pick from. Tennessee had a game plan: try and rough Flip up. Why not, he was our only offense in the paint. Made easier when Mitchell couldn’t play.

The complaint I have with the season is it seems like issues with players that we complain about earlier came back full circle and reared its ugly head. Lively and Whitehead are the 2 I’m talking about. One had no offense, and the other didn’t (or couldn’t) ever become a consistent scoring threat. So against a very physical Tennessee team, they only had to be concerned with 3 of our guys. And one of the 3 they beat up earlier.

Overall, I thought Jon did a really good job with this team. Won the ACC tournament, and swept the holes. But our lack of being able to play a very physical game hurt us.

I never really bought into the "the field is down it doesnt matter what seed we are" arguement. It does matter, and those 20 point beatdowns lowered our seed, Tenn. was a top 10 type team before the lost their pg. That was a tough first weekend match up. We had a great run. but the committee looks at the whole season.

Reactions: Mac9192
Really wish everyone would take a step back . Forget about keels, he left and is making his money however brief it may be . For the record if the top six kids in a class all wanted to come to Duke do you really think Jon says no? Jons words were of wanting to grow a team . Sadly those days are over !
Don’t get any time - transfer
Oh I think I should start or play more - transfer
First round - gone
Early second - gone
It’s the nature of the beast Duke has created . They went after four of the top portal transfers last season . How many ended up at Duke? None . You focus on retaining your roster period ! If you don’t this is still the product you will role out every year unless you want to use NIL to funnel money which isn’t a good look but not saying it isn’t already happening.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
We were out toughed, bullied, or whatever word you can pick from. Tennessee had a game plan: try and rough Flip up. Why not, he was our only offense in the paint. Made easier when Mitchell couldn’t play.

The complaint I have with the season is it seems like issues with players that we complain about earlier came back full circle and reared its ugly head. Lively and Whitehead are the 2 I’m talking about. One had no offense, and the other didn’t (or couldn’t) ever become a consistent scoring threat. So against a very physical Tennessee team, they only had to be concerned with 3 of our guys. And one of the 3 they beat up earlier.

Overall, I thought Jon did a really good job with this team. Won the ACC tournament, and swept the holes. But our lack of being able to play a very physical game hurt us.
Respectfully disagree . Flip got hit in the mouth multiple times and kept coming back for more. I Actually think we were too busy trying to be TOUGHER and not just pulling up with them annoying floaters a few times (Ihate) instead of challenging Tennessee’s defenders at the basket on the norm…that’s just the way I saw it.

Just want to say how proud I am of this team and the way our coaches turned the season around. We didn’t have the ending we wanted, but going 27-9 in his first year after Coach K and damn near undefeated with all healthy starters (it will always be FU refs at Virginia), the program is in great hands with Coach Scheyer.

Now we await the futures of those who are going to the NBA and to see who all will be back. No need to tear down these kids who competed all season long. Encourage them. The future is bright, Duke fans!

See ya next season!
Absolutely.

Scheyer and the coaches did a good job. And the players performed really well. They improved as the season went on and overcame early injuries.

ACC Tourney champs. And, imo, deserving of the regular season title given the rules gaffes by officials which definitely took away one game (Virginia) and possibly two (Va Tech).

I don't have the exact quote. But he mentioned how well they played without their PG and how well they shot.

Not sure where to put this, but I am watching the podcast (the Better Blue Podcast) that Ryan Kelly and James McAdoo do. It's great stuff. I guess they are playing in Japan together. McAdoo seems like a good guy, and they have some interesting discussions about the season. It's funny to see Ryan with long hair and a beard. he looks like a Gonzaga player.
Kelly mentions "Duke fans online" are hoping Flip and Proctor return. So maybe he does read this lol. He did say he expects Proctor to at least test the waters.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT